Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can’t wait to see what crypto scam MLB puts on the patches this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Javy getting sued by advertisers for batting lefty in a blowout

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well as long as the players are OK wi-

https://twitter.com/kikehndez/status/1598041450536587266?t=Fkk_S8cyGg2ys76WDo1p_Q&s=19

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I know a lot of people are indifferent to this kind of thing or just resigned to it but I really hate it. Yeah I’ll still keep watching that garbage but it just blows. The uniform should be off-limits to advertisers and that’s that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's inevitable though. The biggest league of the most popular sport in the world doesn't even have the team name as the most prominent thing on the jersey

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

I know a lot of people are indifferent to this kind of thing or just resigned to it but I really hate it. Yeah I’ll still keep watching that garbage but it just blows. The uniform should be off-limits to advertisers and that’s that.

:same:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Jose Altuve extremely thankful he isn't a switch hitter

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

It's inevitable though. The biggest league of the most popular sport in the world doesn't even have the team name as the most prominent thing on the jersey

And it’s loving godawful.

Every baseball stadium is already littered with signs, the at-bats are interrupted by micro-commercials, and now even the players are walking billboards. And it’s an aesthetic eyesore on top of everything else.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And it’s loving godawful.

Every baseball stadium is already littered with signs, the at-bats are interrupted by micro-commercials, and now even the players are walking billboards. And it’s an aesthetic eyesore on top of everything else.

Yeah, the Alvarez home run in the WS loses a bit of magic when every replay has that dumbass "FTX" ad on the batter's eye as the ball soars above. It sucks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pungry posted:

Yeah, the Alvarez home run in the WS loses a bit of magic when every replay has that dumbass "FTX" ad on the batter's eye as the ball soars above. It sucks.

And that ad doesn’t even exist! It’s yet another digital placement made just for the broadcast.

gently caress ads.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

GalacticAcid posted:

Agreed, it really bothers me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pungry posted:

Wait what? I saw a GEICO ad, are there different ads for different regions?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I knew I was gonna hate the ads on the uniforms but somehow I actually hate it even more that I thought I would. There isn’t even an attempt to be anything but a giant ugly fuckin billboard. I’m so goddamned sick of being harassed for my business every second of every day. :smith:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I dont care even a little bit. It's a patch on the sleeve and they already had the nike logo on the jersey.

The umps dumb crypto scam logo didn't bother me at all last year, the ads on the NBA jerseys don't bother me, soccer is nothing but a giant ad. This seems silly to get worked up about.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It'll be a boiling frog scenario but if MLB at-bats ever end up looking like NPB I'm out, and we're already halfway there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The absolute best part of being a fan of a team on the opposite coast and league of my local blackout team is being able to rely on MLB.TV for nearly every game.

Don’t recommend it if you can avoid it though, those 1:45AM endings get old very fast.

buddy try being on a whole different continent

evening games for me start at midnight and go till 3am

just makes me glad I’m not, say, an Angels fan (well, more glad)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Kirios posted:

It's baffling that as an Astro fan in Portland I get a much better (and cheaper!) watching experience than an Astro fan in Houston.

I live in DC and the only time I can't watch the Astros is when they play the Nats or Orioles, since MASN refuses to let streaming operators carry them

Also, I watch for free since my cell phone provider is T-Mobile and they give free MLB.TV as a perk

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the ads on uniform make me go into a rage because it is VERY NOT COOL. manfred is a monster and should answer to the hague for his crimes as commissioner

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The uniform ads will stop me from buying another jersey for a long time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

This is honestly the only complaint about ads on uniforms that holds any weight for me lol.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ads are ugly and annoying. “Hurr durr soccer does it” yea soccer is also two continuous 45-50 minute blocks of play while baseball has a million built-in stoppages ripe for commercial breaks. I can grudgingly see the case for making soccer players into bipedal billboards, I cannot for baseball.

“MLB‘s always had tons of ads get over it” okay but they didn’t have ads on uniforms, which is the present subject.

“There are bigger problems in the world” true and I’m not going to fix those either. However I can and will still complain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess they have data that shows naming your ballpark something that all the fans hate or putting patches and logos that all the fans hate all over stuff is effective, but I thought FTX was a uniform company before they were revealed as this months biggest crypto scam

My conspiracy theory is that marketing itself is a huge scam and no one knows what works, successful marketing is as predictable and repeatable as making a viral meme and all the marketing companies are juking the stats

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

I guess they have data that shows naming your ballpark something that all the fans hate or putting patches and logos that all the fans hate all over stuff is effective, but I thought FTX was a uniform company before they were revealed as this months biggest crypto scam

My conspiracy theory is that marketing itself is a huge scam and no one knows what works, successful marketing is as predictable and repeatable as making a viral meme and all the marketing companies are juking the stats

Some of the ads at parks really baffle me. We have several huge sponsors paying us untold amounts of money and I still could not tell you what they do or why they think it's a value-add to have this sort of advertisement in the park.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the loving colgate thing, there's an old saw about how Colgate was far and away the number one toothpaste brand in America, and so they said, hell, we don't need to advertise and they lowered their ad budget and lost market share. That is imprinted on the brain of every c-suite exec in America.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gaylord Perry died

Hahaha Gaylord

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The absolute best part of being a fan of a team on the opposite coast and league of my local blackout team is being able to rely on MLB.TV for nearly every game.

Hell yeah. It's honestly great.

curried lamb of God posted:

Also, I watch for free since my cell phone provider is T-Mobile and they give free MLB.TV as a perk

Ditto. Haven't even paid for it the last 3(?) years.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Don’t recommend it if you can avoid it though, those 1:45AM endings get old very fast.

And there's the BUT. I only have a 2 hour difference, but 7:00 west coast games still end too late for me and I find out how things turned out in the morning a lot of the time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/fergieajenkins/status/1598328069344972801?s=20&t=XMJxv84eknBSEaFNg31SsA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BrownieAthletic/status/1598342111803604997

youre goddamn right

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Bummer. Was 10 when he won his 300th as a Mariner. Thought it was cool as Hell. That's my story.

RIP, Gaylord. Still playing with that hairline was baller.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

The only thing shittier than ads being everywhere is being ok with ads being everywhere.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm confused why is the cheater in the hall

jokes (not jokes) aside that's too bad, like watching old footage of him pitching :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

I work in marketing and this is exactly the case. It’s nonstop guesswork done by scumbags who bemoan increasing privacy laws because it prevents them from being able to turn everything you do in life into a potential sales conversion. It’s easily the most amoral field I’ve ever worked in and I hate every minute of it.

Somewhere right now there’s probably a marketing bro trying to think up ways to put ads over the faces of fans in the stands.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Gerblederp posted:

The only thing shittier than ads being everywhere is being ok with ads being everywhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But it's also kind of funny that corporations are dumping trillions of dollars to subsidize sports, TV, movies, and all kinds of entertainment that would be unsustainable without the American economy pouring cash into them (as the streaming platforms are currently finding out)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
nationalize all sports leagues

and let me run them :getin:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

I was reminded of gyroball's wonderful Baseball Mogul Let's Plays today, so now all of you are too.

The saga of Dale Cooper, Laura Palmer, Zack Greinke, and our protagonist: Strike-O-Matic

Some parts aged better than others but poo poo like this still makes me laugh out loud every time

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

I don't mind the Nike swoosh so maybe it's hypocritical of me but I fully agree with you. The ad patches are heinous.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Are.... are they including the ad patch on uniforms fans buy? That's insane

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Are.... are they including the ad patch on uniforms fans buy? That's insane

I kind of think they won't but I guess we will find out.

The Nike swoosh doesn't really bother me because it's the logo of the company making the jersey, that has kinda always been a thing on sports equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can find me dripped out head to toe in Champion sweatwear.