Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah she's fine in the trailer but that poster is a bit terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: not the right subforum oops

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know everyone is sick of Chris Pratt (and rightfully so) but all the voices are just not good in the movie, except Jack Black.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aphrodite posted:

I know everyone is sick of Chris Pratt (and rightfully so) but all the voices are just not good in the movie, except Jack Black.

Yeah, I get that they're big on trying to draw people in celebrity names in animated movies these days, and I like Anya Taylor Joy, but does the average person see that Anya Taylor Joy is playing Peach and then think, "Oo, that convinced me, this is the movie for me."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I get that they're big on trying to draw people in celebrity names in animated movies these days, and I like Anya Taylor Joy, but does the average person see that Anya Taylor Joy is playing Peach and then think, "Oo, that convinced me, this is the movie for me."

I'm guessing that the cost of hiring ATJ for 2 days of work or whatever is so low that producers will roll the dice on having her name in the posters and trailers instead of going with an actual voice actor.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Aphrodite posted:

If Chris Pratt had really leaned into the accidental Linda Belcher impression schtick for the whole movie, I'd be more impressed with the film as a whole.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rochallor posted:

I'm guessing that the cost of hiring ATJ for 2 days of work or whatever is so low that producers will roll the dice on having her name in the posters and trailers instead of going with an actual voice actor.

Well big names instead of VAs has been a thing since Robin Williams in the 90s. It’s extremely successful a tactic

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well big names instead of VAs has been a thing since Robin Williams in the 90s. It’s extremely successful a tactic

Yeah, but that was like the holy grail of big name animated voices. They peaked early.

Most movies with a bunch of familiar actor names just seems like marketing to make audiences think "whoa, if that many big names attached their names to this there's no way it can be a piece of poo poo!"

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Didn’t work for that CG robots movie that Robin Williams was in. I think it was actually just called Robots?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I used to think that but the answer is extremely straight forward.

Promotion.

Chris Pratt will be traveling around the world appearing on shows and talking to media. That’s the value he brings. Not his name on a poster.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Personally, I think Charles Martinet would be fun as gently caress on like Jimmy Fallon

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s also the fact that the quality of voice acting… isn’t really something most people are fussy about. There are also no Oscar nominations for excellence in voice acting.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Sure, I mean Chris Pratt seemed super articulate and authentic in that Zoom call he did for that Nintendo Direct, I can see why they'd want hin promoting their movie.

Ssstompin' Koopas!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

This movie turned it into an art.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 1, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The MSJ posted:

For such a generically garbage movie it really did seem to have a lot of influence.

Which is unfortunately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dr_rat posted:

For such a generically garbage movie it really did seem to have a lot of influence.

Which is unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1nufRLDQMU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I can't believe I never knew that was Lithgow as Faarquad...

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The MSJ posted:

I really wanna see the film with Chris Farleys performance :unsmith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dr_rat posted:

Which is unfortunately.

I mean, Shrek is legitimately a really good movie. The reason it seems like generic garbage now is because it laid all the groundwork for the movies that followed and imitated it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Shrek suffers a little in that modern Disney has drifted some from what the film critiques, media conglomerates being malleable and amorphous as they are.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

dr_rat posted:

Which is unfortunately.

Shrek was a really solid kids movie that managed to straddle the line of including jokes that kids would think were naughty without being boring or gross to parents.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And it has now evolved.

https://twitter.com/jacksfilms/status/1598020020084170753?s=20&t=wA7TWP9uhiDuzbEHsg23fw

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The MSJ posted:

This movie was so successful in its cast promotion that my country had a whole unrelated ad campaign referencing it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Shrek is peak 90s snark (it came out before 9/11, so it counts) which is a little less palatable these days, but at its core it's still a very good movie. It did start a really annoying trend where animated movies weren't allowed to be sincere anymore, but that's certainly not its own fault.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

DarkSol posted:

If Chris Pratt had really leaned into the accidental Linda Belcher impression schtick for the whole movie, I'd be more impressed with the film as a whole.

Linda Belcher is played by a man doing a specifically Brooklyn Italian-American voice though?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I love Shrek and I don't know why. It sits there with The Waterboy and Talladega Nights as subjectively bad movies that are just fun and full of heart

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

worms butthole guy posted:

I love Shrek and I don't know why. It sits there with The Waterboy and Talladega Nights as subjectively bad movies that are just fun and full of heart

None of the movies you listed are bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Shrek's one of those movies that's been a meme so long that people assume it's bad, because clearly "meme = irony = bad".

Smashmouth, though, is objectively bad. Maybe it's guilt by association.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Total Meatlove posted:

Linda Belcher is played by a man doing a specifically Brooklyn Italian-American voice though?

I mean, in the sense that John Roberts is from Brooklyn and Italian-American yes, it is a Brooklyn Italian-American voice. It's also specifically an impression of his mother, and I don't think Chris Pratt was aiming for "John Roberts' mom" when trying to come up with Mario's voice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mama Mia!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

King Vidiot posted:

Shrek's one of those movies that's been a meme so long that people assume it's bad, because clearly "meme = irony = bad".

Smashmouth gave us Neil Cicierga's musical oeuvre, so it's actually quite good.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean, in the sense that John Roberts is from Brooklyn and Italian-American yes, it is a Brooklyn Italian-American voice. It's also specifically an impression of his mother, and I don't think Chris Pratt was aiming for "John Roberts' mom" when trying to come up with Mario's voice.

I don't think Chris Pratt aimed for anything when trying to come up with Mario's voice.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Dang, wrong thread!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

shrek is bad sorry guys. That's not to say its not a fun and enjoyable watch but it is capital A bad. The things that make it bad:

1. Pop culture references that make no sense in this fantasy world
2. the dragon and the donkey gently caress

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

shrek is bad sorry guys. That's not to say its not a fun and enjoyable watch but it is capital A bad. The things that make it bad:

Neither of those are bad things

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I haven't seen the movie in nearly 20 years. Do the pop culture references still hold up?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

I haven't seen the movie in nearly 20 years. Do the pop culture references still hold up?
Do you like the 1980 hit Funkytown?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shrek 2's the one that really had the reference overload.

Still good though. Holding Out For A Hero is up there with the cinematic greats for big epic climactic sequences and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Fairy Godmother was fantastic and Jennifer Saunders just obliterated in it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 1, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DarkSol posted:

I don't think Chris Pratt aimed for anything when trying to come up with Mario's voice.

Not true actually.

He's doing a slight Brooklyn accent and you'll understand if you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Beastie posted:

Do you like Matrix parodies?