Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

From people who have both: ChromeOS is a better Android tablet than Android tablets. I don't have any specifics to recommend, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the pixel tablet is going to be announced next month maybe wait for that. i'm gonna buy it because i'm an idiot

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

butt dickus posted:

the pixel tablet is going to be announced next month maybe wait for that. i'm gonna buy it because i'm an idiot

This seems like good advice but I can find nothing solid saying that it'll be announced next month. It seems like a 2023 release.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

From people who have both: ChromeOS is a better Android tablet than Android tablets. I don't have any specifics to recommend, though.

I really like my Lenovo Duet 5. It's more of a detachable laptop than a true tablet. Its only 1080p though, and the size and extra-wide screen make it a bit unwieldy for handheld use. Its great to consume media though. They make a smaller version as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're in a :homebrew: mood, I think Lenovo just released some (more?) flexible tablets (but with a keyboard, so it's a :airquote: laptop in their Thinkpad line

https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/reviews/lenovo/162501-lenovo-thinkpad-x1-fold-2022-review

I guess they released one in 2020 but I literally never heard of it before, despite being a thinkpad, maybe they hired a PR company worth two shits this time around

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
That HP 11 Inch Tablet (lol that's the name) went on sale for $200 again, so I decided to check it out. I've had it for about a week now.

First impression? The build quality is surprisingly nice. It feels solid, with a premium brushed finish, rounded corners, and clicky buttons. The screen is great. Like, shockingly great for something this cheap. 2160x1440 with super accurate colors out of the box.

My first few hours with the tablet weren't so great, though. It comes with Windows 11 S, and I had forgotten how much useless software comes pre-installed on devices from companies like HP. So the very first thing I did for my sanity was purge all that garbage, disable S mode, and run Windows Update. The tablet got pretty hot towards the end of the update process.

Since I plan to use this exclusively for comics I installed Cover (my favorite comic reader) and turned on every Windows 11 battery-saving option. The reading experience is great. In portrait mode the 3:2 screen displays a full comic page at just the right size for my eyes. Since I'm looking at still images and not even scrolling I bumped the refresh rate down to 40Hz to save even more battery. I might force a 1Hz refresh rate if I can figure that out.

After that first day I thought about returning the tablet, but it's been smooth sailing ever since. I'm going to keep this thing. I wouldn't recommend it for any serious work since it only has 4GB of RAM and heats up during intense use. That said, it hasn't hitched at all while web browsing or streaming videos. The fact that it has USB-C and a proper NVME SSD is great. If you can deal with the tradeoffs it's a nice little device.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like that thing is, unfortunately, just a PC. There's probably some tinkering you can do to make sure it works more efficiently but that's a pretty standard windows laptop experience.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Looks like I'll be waiting for the Pixel Tablet or whatever it winds up being called. Hopefully it's not a premium-priced thing, or it's so incredibly loving cool that the premium price will make it worthwhile.

Otherwise, I'll get a Surface of some sort. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hey thread, I’m looking for a simple 8-10 inch Android tablet.

- Reading comics (nicer screen/colors are thus a plus, lighter-better)
- Watching :files: during travel (64GB and bluetooth)

What I won’t be using it for:
- Any sort of gaming (got other toys for that) or work

Nice to haves:
- SIM card support

Price is not that much of a concern, though I imagine I’m looking at the lower end if the spectrum!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hey looking for a Android tablet

Needs to be able to easily handle using Citrix to remote desktop into a desktop computer. And use as a psudo computer with a keyboard and mouse on for work tasks if I'm away from home

Will also want it to be able to use web browser for stuff like Roll20 and FoundryVTT web applications.

Would prefer for it to be easily used as a handheld tablet for reading PDFs and comics/manga.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dexo posted:

Hey looking for a Android tablet

Needs to be able to easily handle using Citrix to remote desktop into a desktop computer. And use as a psudo computer with a keyboard and mouse on for work tasks if I'm away from home

Will also want it to be able to use web browser for stuff like Roll20 and FoundryVTT web applications.

Would prefer for it to be easily used as a handheld tablet for reading PDFs and comics/manga.

Get a chromebook?

(New thread title?)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Get a chromebook?

(New thread title?)

This was my thought, too. If you want a tablet-like experience, plenty of even the cheaper Chromebooks have touch screens (my $350 one does).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Most of the chromebooks I've seen are thicker than what I want .

Any Reccs on a thin one?

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Hmm so I’m trying to figure out what device to get, was hoping for some advice.

iPad Air 5th gen with cellular (64gb or 256gb)
iPad Pro 11” With cellular (128gb)
MacBook Air M1 (8gb unified memory)

I’m trying to choose between these devices. I have a powerful desktop computer, but I’m often unable to sit at my desk because of my disabilities. So I’m looking for something that can do a range of tasks while I’m in bed or on the couch, or out. Writing, reading, browsing, spreadsheets, messaging etc.

I Don’t need it to do any gaming or intense media stuff like 4K transcoding, my PC has that covered. But I would be thrilled if any of these models would be suitable for some music and photography software production.

So…

iPad Air is cheapest by a couple hundred, it’s pretty and appears to have most of the features that the iPad Pro has? Correct me if I’m wrong.

iPad pro has nice cameras but the 11” feels redundant bc of the iPad Air, I’m unsure if I’m missing anything that makes it more powerful, from looking into these models they seem really similar, but only the larger model has that substantial difference in the display.

At about the same price for the iPad Pro is an M1 MacBook Air. I was originally only considering tablets but given the cost I’m now considering this laptop too. It looks really nice, everything I want in a laptop. But I’ve never had a lightweight comfortable laptop before, mine all sucked and were those huge hefty gaming laptops that basically needed to remain at a desk.

I’m not sure how it will feel to use one like this from an ergonomic and comfort perspective.

Tablet with foldable keyboard seems easier, even if it’s nearly identical.

But the fact it’s within my budget now makes me wonder, because it would be great to be able to use Logic Pro & Lightroom, and to have more freedom in what software I can install.

I guess I wanna hear anyone’s anecdotal experiences with any of these devices,

as well as your opinion on whether the 8gb of unified memory is enough to have multiple things like discord, web browsing, writing app, listening to music, all running at once without chugging. If they struggle today I’d hate to purchase it and be constantly running up against that memory wall.

I wish I could justify spending the $300 aud more for 16gb of memory, but if I’m going to spend 300 more I may as well get the M2 MacBook instead. Idk.

Sorry for rambling, tldr; tell me your thoughts on which apple tablet/laptop would be a good choice. Bc they all seem to have good aspects and I’m struggling to decide.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
There isn’t much of a difference between the 11 iPad Pro and the iPad Air besides refresh rate and storage size. If most of your work sits in the cloud and you’re not planning on loading it up with games, 64gb is probably fine.

As for whether to get a laptop instead, it really depends on your workflow. If you multitask a lot in a way that involves quickly flitting between multiple windows, then an iPad probably won’t be as useful as a laptop, unless they do something really remarkable with their new Stage Manager feature, which is unlikely - and at any rate it’s going to take a while for apps to rejig themselves to make the most of it. I’ve sold my laptop in favour of an iPad, because my work often involves focusing on one document (or two), and I’m easily distractedly, so tbe added focus will be welcome. But I’ll definitely miss having access to certain software.

Is the way you use your computer fundamentally similar to the way you use your phone, in terms of focussing on a single full-screen app at s time? If the answer is yes then the iPad Air or pro are the best portable computers on the market.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

As for whether to get a laptop instead, it really depends on your workflow. If you multitask a lot in a way that involves quickly flitting between multiple windows, then an iPad probably won’t be as useful as a laptop, unless they do something really remarkable with their new Stage Manager feature, which is unlikely - and at any rate it’s going to take a while for apps to rejig themselves to make the most of it.
I'm using the beta, and no, it improves things, but still isn't great. If you need real multitasking, an actual laptop will be better.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I ended up getting the Galaxy Tab S8+ for a massive discount, and Dex is my new standard mode of use. It's just so much better to use than the standard "tablet" interface. Stage manager was ok, but this is on a whole other level. The downside is that there are no good keyboard cases it seems. The official seems lackluster and expensive as hell.
Won't replace a laptop, but I don't really need a laptop now that I got one from work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

Most of the chromebooks I've seen are thicker than what I want .

Any Reccs on a thin one?

There's actually a dedicated chromebook thread, although I can't find it at the moment

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

There isn’t much of a difference between the 11 iPad Pro and the iPad Air besides refresh rate and storage size. If most of your work sits in the cloud and you’re not planning on loading it up with games, 64gb is probably fine.

As for whether to get a laptop instead, it really depends on your workflow. If you multitask a lot in a way that involves quickly flitting between multiple windows, then an iPad probably won’t be as useful as a laptop, unless they do something really remarkable with their new Stage Manager feature, which is unlikely - and at any rate it’s going to take a while for apps to rejig themselves to make the most of it. I’ve sold my laptop in favour of an iPad, because my work often involves focusing on one document (or two), and I’m easily distractedly, so tbe added focus will be welcome. But I’ll definitely miss having access to certain software.

Is the way you use your computer fundamentally similar to the way you use your phone, in terms of focussing on a single full-screen app at s time? If the answer is yes then the iPad Air or pro are the best portable computers on the market.

Hmm

I like to have multiple things displayed simultaneously. Its useful for my workflow to be able to have information to reference without switching between apps.
Like having a browser or documents open with research on second monitor while I’m typing on my primary screen.

But I’m thinking about the way I use my computer and realising even with a MacBook I won’t be able use it the same way, it isn’t going to be big enough to display multiple programs like that and I’ll likely be frustrated trying to use it like my PC.

I struggle with using my phone, I switch between apps a lot and get distracted and forget what I’m doing frequently. But it still sounds like an iPad may be more useful for me than a MacBook.

The idea was always that a tablet would be easier to use in bed than a phone, not to completely replace using my PC, and an iPad will definitely beat the MacBook in comfort of use.

Thanks for the advice, it was extremely helpful.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Testicle Masochist posted:

Hmm

I like to have multiple things displayed simultaneously. Its useful for my workflow to be able to have information to reference without switching between apps.
Like having a browser or documents open with research on second monitor while I’m typing on my primary screen.

But I’m thinking about the way I use my computer and realising even with a MacBook I won’t be able use it the same way, it isn’t going to be big enough to display multiple programs like that and I’ll likely be frustrated trying to use it like my PC.

I struggle with using my phone, I switch between apps a lot and get distracted and forget what I’m doing frequently. But it still sounds like an iPad may be more useful for me than a MacBook.

The idea was always that a tablet would be easier to use in bed than a phone, not to completely replace using my PC, and an iPad will definitely beat the MacBook in comfort of use.

Thanks for the advice, it was extremely helpful.

iPads have like a side by side panels thing - you can have up to 3 apps open at the same time. On my 11’’ I’ll often have a main doc taking up 2/3 of the screen and my notes on another 1/3. I imagine that’s a lot more functional on the bigger iPad.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm looking for a good content consumption Android tablet, but maybe something a little bigger (maybe 11 or 12"?) and more powerful than my older Fire HD10. I mostly watch YouTube on mine currently, but I'd like to be able to do comics and tabletop RPG PDFs on it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Need to buy an Android tablet for the locksmith at work. It needs to have the latest version of Android, be good for at least a few years of security patches, be cheap, have good battery life, and be durable. We were looking at the Galaxy A7 Lite; is there a better option?

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Is there a good or decent tablet that is under $100 and better than my current one? - (Fire tablet 2020 model, 2 gb of ram and quad core) I've seen a few generic ones on Amazon.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 22, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

Need to buy an Android tablet for the locksmith at work. It needs to have the latest version of Android, be good for at least a few years of security patches, be cheap, have good battery life, and be durable. We were looking at the Galaxy A7 Lite; is there a better option?

Tablets usually are released with a 1-2 year old OS and never get a single security update. I wish I were joking. Good luck

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spacegrass posted:

Is there a good or decent tablet that is under $100 and better than my current one? - (Fire tablet 2020 model, 2 gb of ram and quad core) I've seen a few generic ones on Amazon.

Fire tablets get a hardware update every? year. The current one is actually functional and has USB-C fast charging. You're still hamstrung by Amazon's app store and other app restrictions.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Any point in getting a cheap iPad Mini 4th gen or should I save for a 5th gen?

Recently clearing out some boxes I found my original iPad 1st gen and while it works, I guess it's not going to be good for anything.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 29, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

spookygonk posted:

Recently clearing out some boxes I found my original iPad 1st gen and while it works, I guess it's not going to be good for anything.

The 5th is a much more recent processor.

Personally though, given the screen / style difference , I would look at the 6 because of the re design.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

spookygonk posted:

If my old iPad 2 is any indication, that era of tablets hit a wall with iOS updates where they became essentially unusable.

People seem to really like the iPad mini though. I have a regular sized iPad Pro, but I had an epiphany the other day when I realised that when I’m reading web articles etc I’m basically always scrolling and only reading the same top 1/3 of the screen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a Surface Pro which is basically a tablet/laptop to me so I would never get a big tablet. A small tablet like the Mini is my preferred way of looking at poo poo on the internet around the house.

e: Specifically, I would only really use a 9" or smaller tablet

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 4, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Small tablets are kinda awkward for multitasking. I pretty much always have two or three apps open side-by-side at the same time.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I got a surface last year and mostly use it for web stuff and reading PDFs, but does anyone have any recommendations for sketching/art apps that intergrate the haptic feedback from the pen pretty well?

I'm also open to aftermarket haptic pen recommendations for working with the surface. I'd like to get into digital art more but I don't want to buy a dedicated tablet since it would be a hobby and I already spend enough on my physical art hobbies :sweatdrop:

edit: also would take recommendations for any cool apps - I find the microsoft app store miserable to use and avoid it unless I have a specific download goal in mind. I think I also have it unlocked for loading play store apps, but I would have to check.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

I got a surface last year and mostly use it for web stuff and reading PDFs, but does anyone have any recommendations for sketching/art apps that intergrate the haptic feedback from the pen pretty well?

I'm also open to aftermarket haptic pen recommendations for working with the surface. I'd like to get into digital art more but I don't want to buy a dedicated tablet since it would be a hobby and I already spend enough on my physical art hobbies :sweatdrop:

edit: also would take recommendations for any cool apps - I find the microsoft app store miserable to use and avoid it unless I have a specific download goal in mind. I think I also have it unlocked for loading play store apps, but I would have to check.

There's probably a Surface thread somewhere that would be a better place to ask. This thread is about actual hardware, not apps.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

There's probably a Surface thread somewhere that would be a better place to ask. This thread is about actual hardware, not apps.

Oh okay! Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Drawing tablet thread in creative convention will know.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm looking for an Android tablet to read stuff, browse the forums, watch youtube videos, and bullshit on Discord. I mainly use my current one while lying in bed, so I'm not really looking for a Chromebook.

The one I currently have is a 2019 model Fire HD and it's been bad enough to leave a permanent sour taste in my mouth with regards to Amazon products. Sometime in mid-2020, the tablet got an update that it doesn't have the hardware to support, so it's been terribly ever since. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I had gotten an ad-supported version!

Are Samsung tablets still bad with regards to filling half the internal memory with crap nobody wants?

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm looking for an Android tablet to read stuff, browse the forums, watch youtube videos, and bullshit on Discord. I mainly use my current one while lying in bed, so I'm not really looking for a Chromebook.

The one I currently have is a 2019 model Fire HD and it's been bad enough to leave a permanent sour taste in my mouth with regards to Amazon products. Sometime in mid-2020, the tablet got an update that it doesn't have the hardware to support, so it's been terribly ever since. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I had gotten an ad-supported version!

Are Samsung tablets still bad with regards to filling half the internal memory with crap nobody wants?

They make tablet form factor ChromeOS devices

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6477625

I have this one, and while the speakers are a little weak and it crashes coming out of sleep mode sometimes, the 13.3' OLED panel can't be beat for the price

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I could clean a ton of crap from my Tab S8+ when I got it. Bonus is that I can put in an SD card for more storage as well.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Chrome tablet looks pretty nice, not gonna lie. But I have been eyeing this one I found on Amazon for under half the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Android-Storage-Long-Lasting-Expandable/dp/B09N41RC6L

A 10.5" Galaxy Tab A8 for around 150 is pretty inexpensive.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

The Chrome tablet looks pretty nice, not gonna lie. But I have been eyeing this one I found on Amazon for under half the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Android-Storage-Long-Lasting-Expandable/dp/B09N41RC6L

A 10.5" Galaxy Tab A8 for around 150 is pretty inexpensive.

I've had an A8 Tab for a month. I really like it compared to my Amazon fire. It's not so pent up and slow. I have good vibes it should last me for about a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I want something like a Remarkable, and I don't want to buy one without considering any alternatives, but I can't find any.

Are there any other good e-ink tablets? I mostly want to use it for reading and taking notes.

e: I'm probably gonna want to run homebrew stuff on it, too, so a healthy developer community would be ideal. Amazon just released the kindle scribe, but, since it's Amazon, I'm skeptical of it.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 27, 2022