Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was intentionally avoiding the bike shops for it because that's up into the 1k+ range. I don't think the place I got my marlin from even keeps road bikes in-store, they've got mtb, hybrids, and electric mtb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Also I think the domane is the only road bike trek makes that's available in aluminum

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Try to find a shop that carries used bikes. Buying one online without experience and knowing what you want is a bad idea

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's not online I just wanted to link it to see if I should skip the 20 minute drive to academy.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

brand engager posted:

It's not online I just wanted to link it to see if I should skip the 20 minute drive to academy.

red flag: bike only comes in one size, “men’s”.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Development posted:

red flag: bike only comes in one size, “men’s”.

Don't be so hasty. Maybe there's a second size, "Women's" .

(don't buy a bike without someone knowledgeable to fit you)

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree that your best bet would be to check second hand places first. Then, if you find something that feels comfortable, take it to a bike shop since (assuming they're remotely competent) they'll be able to catch a lot of stuff someone without experience would look over. If you're not in the boonies then checking Facebook and the like isn't a bad idea either imo.

If you can't find anything else it does at least pass the glance test (not being a department store bike that's half plastic that'll be trash in a year), assuming that it actually fits (don't let anyone at the store try to tell you that you can just adjust the wheels or seat or something if you're waffling on it).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
:sickos:

I’m going to put PINK SPARKLE bar tape on it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

brand engager posted:

Also I think the domane is the only road bike trek makes that's available in aluminum

The Emonda is too: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/%E9monda/%E9monda-alr/c/B212/

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Oh didn't see those before, looks like only the ALR 5 version is in the US though

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A SRAM Rival XG-1250 12-Speed Cassette Silver, 10-36T

will work just fine as a kickr cassette with my currently Force AXS 10-33T bike right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

A SRAM Rival XG-1250 12-Speed Cassette Silver, 10-36T

will work just fine as a kickr cassette with my currently Force AXS 10-33T bike right?

Depends if your Force RD is the 33t or 36t max, although apparently you can crank the b-screw in all the way and make it work for the former. You might also need a new chain depending on how your current chain is sized.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Is there any maintenance I should be keeping up with on my 6 year old Hammer trainer? It went through a little period where the drive belt was occasionally loud but that seems to have worn down enough to not be noticeable anymore which seems concerning.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Depends if your Force RD is the 33t or 36t max, although apparently you can crank the b-screw in all the way and make it work for the former. You might also need a new chain depending on how your current chain is sized.

Oh that’s helpful. 10-30T cassette would be fine though?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

bicievino posted:

Ochsner didn't make frames, they just slapped their brand on some bikes.
That frame doesn't look particularly well cared for (not beat to hell, but how sure are you that there's no internal rusting?). You can tell it wasn't a particularly high-end model because there's no chrome on the fork or stays.

If you had some personal connection to the brand, and it were a NOS frame, maybe it'd be worth $350.
In that condition, used, for what is functionally a no-name steel bike, there's no reason to pay more than $150 at most, especially as we enter one of the worst sellers' markets for used bikes in years. I've already seen brand new bikes getting marked down by 50%, don't overpay based on thinking that we're still in the seller's market of two years ago.

yeah, my brother has one and the little info I could find is that he's got the higher end version and this is the lower end. I don't think I'll bother with it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Oh that’s helpful. 10-30T cassette would be fine though?

From a RD perspective, yes. Any reason you don’t want to just have the same size cassette so you don’t have to mess with b screw adjustment?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

fixin to ride my bike this weekend :clint:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

From a RD perspective, yes. Any reason you don’t want to just have the same size cassette so you don’t have to mess with b screw adjustment?

I don’t think rival comes in a 10-33 size, only force. Should I just get the force cassette? If I don’t will I have to mess with things?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Residency Evil posted:

I don’t think rival comes in a 10-33 size, only force. Should I just get the force cassette? If I don’t will I have to mess with things?

You probably won’t have to mess with b-adjustment. You might have to microadjust your cage position anyway though since it’s likely your trainer’s cassette will be minimally offset just because.

If you encounter lazy shifting, then yeah, you might have to turn the b-adjustment screw out/CCW a bit.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

So... does it feel a lot better now?

> my sitbones weren't 118 mm apart, as it showed last time, but supposedly 130 mm instead. Said he'd have wider Specialized saddles in this week and would let me know when they arrived...
What saddle widths do these correspond to?

holy poo poo, so much better!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TobinHatesYou posted:

You probably won’t have to mess with b-adjustment. You might have to microadjust your cage position anyway though since it’s likely your trainer’s cassette will be minimally offset just because.

If you encounter lazy shifting, then yeah, you might have to turn the b-adjustment screw out/CCW a bit.

Gotcha. Sounds like if I really wanted to keep things easy, I should just get the exact same cassette?

Or just gotten the stupid kickr bike.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What things do you guys who have di2 like to adjust?

I’ve changed my shifters so the top brifters control the big ring and the bottom brifters control the small, but that’s it so far.

Is there something I could setup so it wouldn’t allow cross chaining? Wouldn’t be a huge deal but maybe if it starts to cross chain then it automatically shifts to the bigger/smaller chainring and accompanying cassette to stop that? Or is that a bad idea?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The cross chaining thing depends on what cassette and rings are on your bike and the specific model of di2. like on the 9100 stuff, with compact cranks and an 11-30 it won't let you do like the two smallest gears in the little ring. With my older 9070 stuff it'll let me go wherever I want but also 11-28 is the biggest approved cassette and it doesn't have syncro or semi-syncro shift. About the only thing I've done is change the multi shift speed from normal to "fast." I'm not sure if I've tried "very fast." Also my top hidden buttons shift the rear derailleur which is kind of nice sometimes. I considered doing the d-fly wireless thing but I'd need a new battery for that too and then would add the internal bar end jct a while I was at it and don't want to bother with spending all that.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nwin posted:

What things do you guys who have di2 like to adjust?

I’ve changed my shifters so the top brifters control the big ring and the bottom brifters control the small, but that’s it so far.

Is there something I could setup so it wouldn’t allow cross chaining? Wouldn’t be a huge deal but maybe if it starts to cross chain then it automatically shifts to the bigger/smaller chainring and accompanying cassette to stop that? Or is that a bad idea?

Isn't that what the Synchronized Shifting feature is supposed to allow you to do?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anything that screams out “no” for this?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
does anyone know if the 4iiii precision 3 battery cap (MK300) will fit on a 4iiii precision 2 (MK200)? The latter is sold out everywhere :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIBldkWO9a4

danny owns

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I ordered a tire jack ages ago, but never did anything with it. I was swapping some tubes around just this morning and wasn't really in the mood to mess around with my Terrenos (cuz all Terrenos I've used are ludicrously tight on my rims). Holy poo poo that thing works like magic. Kinda feels like cheating.

In other stupid news, I ordered thorn resistant tubes even longer ago because JPow told me that's what I should use for bunny hop practice. Again, never used them. Hell, I never even took them out of the box. So I'm swapping tubes this morning and was going to throw it in the tire from the previous paragraph. In case this wasn't obvious but you should probably never order something like these. Felt like I was installing a garden hose inside the tire. These would be absolutely wretched to actually use for riding. If you wanted to reach a "thorn resistant" state with your bike you'd be way better served with tubeless tires or normal-rear end tubes with removable values and some sealant.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Need a Cyclocross or Gravel bike for a Christmas gift. Where should I be putting my search efforts? Any bikes/brands that are favored? Things to look for? Thanks for any help

Edit: budget is $400 or south with some headroom north. If it's not worth it in that budget let me know and I'll start looking for a different gift altogether

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 2, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Need a Cyclocross or Gravel bike for a Christmas gift. Where should I be putting my search efforts? Any bikes/brands that are favored? Things to look for? Thanks for any help

Edit: budget is $400 or south with some headroom north. If it's not worth it in that budget let me know and I'll start looking for a different gift altogether

The budget range is pretty grim, but here's what you could get:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/gravel-bikes/liberty-grv-gravel-road-bikes.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gravel-bikes/gravel-v-vbrake-gravel-bikes.htm
These are in stock.
The non-sale MSRPs are pure marketing, though the competing bikes they list are pricier than these.
You need to know what you're doing to assemble them.
Some parts may wear out very quickly because they're insanely cheap.
These are not worth upgrading. In particular, the drivetrain cannot be taken past 7 speeds, which is usable but will have big jumps. The shifters are also very not modern.

This one is out of stock:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno-pro.htm
But is simpler, which is a real consideration in terms of when things will wear out.

If you don't know what size to get or how to size bikes, I think getting one of these and assuming long term maintenance over is asking for a lot.
You can certainly take it to a bike shop when issues arise, but that will quickly eat into your up front savings.

e: if you do know what you're doing, there's scratch and scuff bikes being sold on their clearance site, including this for $100 off:
https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2265

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'm thinking older canti bikes like a CAAD 8X or a Jake The Snake would be in that price range.

Not slowing down is a feature, not a bug. Why would you want to go slower any ways?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, you could net something nice in the used market, which is what numberoneposter is implying.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

Anything that screams out “no” for this?

Don't these have narrow spindles, meaning they are limited to BB30/BB30a/PF30/PF30a?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TobinHatesYou posted:

Don't these have narrow spindles, meaning they are limited to BB30/BB30a/PF30/PF30a?

That wouldn’t be a problem for me…2019 supersix

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was over there getting some tires for my old bike so I checked out that cheapo road bike. The frame seemed nice but everything on it felt like junk. The back rotor was flexing when I pulled on the brakes.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

kimbo305 posted:

The budget range is pretty grim, but here's what you could get:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/gravel-bikes/liberty-grv-gravel-road-bikes.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gravel-bikes/gravel-v-vbrake-gravel-bikes.htm
These are in stock.
The non-sale MSRPs are pure marketing, though the competing bikes they list are pricier than these.
You need to know what you're doing to assemble them.
Some parts may wear out very quickly because they're insanely cheap.
These are not worth upgrading. In particular, the drivetrain cannot be taken past 7 speeds, which is usable but will have big jumps. The shifters are also very not modern.

This one is out of stock:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno-pro.htm
But is simpler, which is a real consideration in terms of when things will wear out.

If you don't know what size to get or how to size bikes, I think getting one of these and assuming long term maintenance over is asking for a lot.
You can certainly take it to a bike shop when issues arise, but that will quickly eat into your up front savings.

e: if you do know what you're doing, there's scratch and scuff bikes being sold on their clearance site, including this for $100 off:
https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2265

Thanks for the help. To be clear I absolutely do not know what I'm doing.

If I got it right, for this road bike the size should be inseam (cm) x 0.7 for the seat tube length. Works out to 57 in this case - is it better to go up or down when rounding; 56 or 58?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If I got it right, for this road bike the size should be inseam (cm) x 0.7 for the seat tube length. Works out to 57 in this case - is it better to go up or down when rounding; 56 or 58?

I've not seen that sizing tactic. Comparing that leg length to mine, I think even 56 might be big in terms of standover height. Are you using measured inseam or pant size inseam? What's their height? Do they have normal arm length?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

brand engager posted:

I was over there getting some tires for my old bike so I checked out that cheapo road bike. The frame seemed nice but everything on it felt like junk. The back rotor was flexing when I pulled on the brakes.

LMAO at "for riders over 5 ft"

Rei has some store brand bikes on sale rn, they aren't bad for the price

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

brand engager posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

brand engager posted:

The back rotor was flexing when I pulled on the brakes.

This is normal. Disc calipers on bikes in this price range only actuate from one side.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 3, 2022