Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Has anyone listened to the Callisto Protocol prequel podcast? Is it worth a listen?

its got Michael Ironside, so worth for that alone imo

other than that its pretty nice lil teaser for grimdark worldbuilding theyre going for.

Gesadt fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Huh, I thought the Dead Space remake was pretty much just going to be a graphical upgrade with a few other changes like Isaac talking. Didn't realise they were making such extensive gameplay/exploration changes. I'd been avoiding reading much about it cause it sounded like such a known quantity but reading some stuff now, it sounds the ship is just fully explorable and there's no trams demarking the levels? I assume there'll still be bits where you are locked in for a scripted sequence or an objective or whatever, still seems like a more drastic change than I was expecting.

Afaik The trams are still there but are optional and you can leave the ship and float around the exterior now ala Prey.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That's crazy if true. Legit I had avoided pretty much anything so all this is news to me and has gotten me a lot more hyped for it than I was otherwise. Hopefully Callisto Protocol will be good and then we'll have that, Dead Space remake and then the RE4 remake as a 3 month feast of great horror.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
just finished the devil in me, and while it was a good spooky time I swear it has more easily missable QTEs than any of the other games in the series. also half the characters have permanent ducklips syndrome. 5/10, not the best in the series but not the worst.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Give me Fatal Frame 4 now! :colbert:

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Montague Tigg posted:

just finished the devil in me, and while it was a good spooky time I swear it has more easily missable QTEs than any of the other games in the series. also half the characters have permanent ducklips syndrome. 5/10, not the best in the series but not the worst.

Losing the loving camera, man... That seemed like a pretty big deal to tie to such a quick little "gently caress you" qte.

Storywise I'd put Devil in Me as probably the second strongest, behind Little Hope, but technically it felt messier than the other ones, especially the mocap in the prologue was super weird.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Lethrom posted:

Losing the loving camera, man... That seemed like a pretty big deal to tie to such a quick little "gently caress you" qte.

that's the exact part that made me yell "COME ON WHAT THE gently caress"

then I found the part for it right after and the guy is like "Welp, can't use this now! :haw:"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pyrolocutus posted:

...there's an AI director?

I hope that doesn't mean indefinite spawns, that's not something I want to deal with in a survival horror.
They seem to take pains in claiming that it's more about making traversing the open world feel less safe and more dynamic than a FROM-style "guess what those guys are alive again". So beyond enemy spawns there are a lot of things that can change with lighting, loud noises, etc. to avoid the worldspace being something you just clear out and comb through ala DS2.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Gesadt posted:

its got Michael Ironside, so worth for that alone imo

other than that its pretty nice lil teaser for grimdark worldbuilding theyre going for.

Yeah it's pretty good so far. Gwendoline Christie, Michael Ironside, Kevin Durand, and I'm pretty sure I heard Leland Orser. It sounds like an extremely dark world full of body mod horror and space catacombs.

I personally will love the new Dead Space having the ability to float in space instead of jumping from surface to surface because that poo poo was disorienting as hell.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Preload is up for Callisto Protocol on steam rn.

Its a chunky rear end 80gb+ download.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hilario Baldness posted:

I personally will love the new Dead Space having the ability to float in space instead of jumping from surface to surface because that poo poo was disorienting as hell.

I'm a little torn on this. On the one hand, I liked the surface jumping, I thought constantly reorienting yourself to relative "down" was really cool and gave the game a very distinctive feel. On the other hand, I have absolutely loved every time a game has let me go out into space and freely fly myself around in 3D. So I guess I'll probably like it either way.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Read After Burning posted:

Give me Fatal Frame 4 now! :colbert:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm a little torn on this. On the one hand, I liked the surface jumping, I thought constantly reorienting yourself to relative "down" was really cool and gave the game a very distinctive feel. On the other hand, I have absolutely loved every time a game has let me go out into space and freely fly myself around in 3D. So I guess I'll probably like it either way.

I guess for me the cool confining aspect of the floating part was that with the exception of like one or two areas, you were also without oxygen so you had to race against the timer of suffocating. Also about half the time enemies would start popping up when you would be in flight so you had to dodge the crap they'd throw at you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just finished my first playthrough of Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes.

That was pretty fun. Honestly if you tried the series with Man of Medan and dropped it, I would suggest you try this one. Man of Medan is easily the worst one. (and little hope is divisive but I'm not gonna get into it for now)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Kuon is my favorite one-off survival horror game, but my favorite series is absolutely Fatal Frame.

Funnily enough, my partner loves survival horror games and Fatal Frame is like, the one series he's never played! So I volunteer to pilot for FF games; any other horror game, I cower while he plays. :kiddo:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The day we get a remaster of the trilogy will be a very good day

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Read After Burning posted:

Kuon is my favorite one-off survival horror game, but my favorite series is absolutely Fatal Frame.

Funnily enough, my partner loves survival horror games and Fatal Frame is like, the one series he's never played! So I volunteer to pilot for FF games; any other horror game, I cower while he plays. :kiddo:

My friends have had a weekly video game night for the past decade or so and it all started because we wanted to play Fatal Frame but we're too spooked to do so on our own.

Anyway gently caress Fatal Frame 4 give us a remake of the first 3 plz

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
it really makes me poo poo that EA closed Visceral Games five years ago and now wants everyone to be excited about a remake of a game by a studio EA thought wasn't good enough to exist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whaley posted:

it really makes me poo poo that EA closed Visceral Games five years ago and now wants everyone to be excited about a remake of a game by a studio EA thought wasn't good enough to exist

If they wanted to keep existing maybe they should have made better microtransactions!!!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

whaley posted:

Nerve is a really good word for it all

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It’s like snl bringing back norm Macdonald to host

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m excited for the dead space remake against all odds, because of the reasons stated above and the fact that it doesn’t really need a remake all that bad. But I’ve just been impressed with what the devs have shown and talked about with it so far, so I will remain cautiously optimistic and see what people have to say when reviews roll in.

Checked out that Callisto podcast and it’s pretty fun. The story hasn’t totally grabbed me yet but I like the cast and the world they are setting up so far.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I’m excited for the dead space remake against all odds, because of the reasons stated above and the fact that it doesn’t really need a remake all that bad. But I’ve just been impressed with what the devs have shown and talked about with it so far, so I will remain cautiously optimistic and see what people have to say when reviews roll in.

i'm ambivalent on isaac being voiced in the remake, but i understand that design trends have shifted and there's probably a desire to revamp dead space 2 if the first one hits big, so it's only a minor gripe. it otherwise looks fantastic artistically and doesn't seem to have touched the core gameplay much at all beyond modernizing the controls, which is all i could really ask for

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Ineffiable posted:

Just finished my first playthrough of Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes.

That was pretty fun. Honestly if you tried the series with Man of Medan and dropped it, I would suggest you try this one. Man of Medan is easily the worst one. (and little hope is divisive but I'm not gonna get into it for now)

House of Ashes is also the only one in the series that has a solid ending. Maybe the new one does, I haven’t finished it. But HoA’s ending is good.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://youtu.be/OxLSsDmtj-U

Can't believe they have a new one coming out so early. There was a big gap between Amnesia, SA and Amnesia Rebirth.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 1, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

An open world sandbox Amnesia sounds awful.

I dont think there has been an open world horror game that wasn't clunky as poo poo. The Secret World MMO, I guess? That call of cthulhu one had some positive buzz but I found it dull. The closest was probably Evil Within 2, and that just had a large map.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Alien Isolation was pretty open for a few stretches and allowed to wander, but that was more metroidvania than anything

Frictional’s strength is in making scripted sequences feel dynamic (most of their games have at least one great chase scene) and it’s pretty much a fact that open world level design necessitates simplification of scripted sequences. That and Amnesia’s fantasy leanings prevent me from feeling much excitement here.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Looking forward to a flashlight battery that lasts 4 seconds.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I still maintain The Secret World could have done so goddamn well if they had figured out a good battle system.

Ugh.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hector Delgado posted:

Looking forward to a flashlight battery that lasts 4 seconds.

Don't worry you'll be able to craft a new one

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the biggest problem with open world amnesia is that a huge amount of the atmosphere and tension from the previous games came from being stuck in an inescapable situation, and being able to skeedaddle back to the hub to try a different area if you get stuck severely undercuts that carefully curated tension

i think semi-open world can work for survival horror-leaning titles - the evil within 2, for example - but being a weaponless rat in a maze that you can back out of at any time sounds like a recipe for disaster

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I wonder if something like a Terminator type thing in an open world could work. Not literally Terminator (although maybe) but the core concept, you have to find and protect someone or yourself in a small town sized map with full interiors, when you start you don't know what the enemy looks like and you have to equip yourself as best you can without getting into trouble or drawing to much attention. Then once whatever is chasing you makes itself known, you now know what it looks like or it's general approach but things start escalating.

Specifically I'm thinking of Terminator 1 of course, where he has to defend against a killer robot with some pipe bombs and a shotgun, it feels really scrappy and the entire city is dingy as gently caress.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Don't worry you'll be able to craft a new one

Ok now I'm scared and not in a good way!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the secret world is one of the best-written games ever made and the actual game part of it was an anchor around its neck

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am enjoying Signalis though I think it really drags around Floor 6~8. The aesthetics are cool as gently caress, I never thought a shameless orgy between Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Nier, and Evangelion would work as well as it does. And boy do I respect trying to pull all of that off at once!

Also I am a sucker for radios and number stations so the music and sound design makes me go :allears:.

I’m very curious as to what da gently caress is going on and I still need to finish it off tonight (I’m at the DEEP GAME SPOILERS post-new game return to the fleshbase) but so far I Enjoy.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 1, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vermain posted:

the biggest problem with open world amnesia is that a huge amount of the atmosphere and tension from the previous games came from being stuck in an inescapable situation, and being able to skeedaddle back to the hub to try a different area if you get stuck severely undercuts that carefully curated tension

i think semi-open world can work for survival horror-leaning titles - the evil within 2, for example - but being a weaponless rat in a maze that you can back out of at any time sounds like a recipe for disaster

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Dark Descent have that exact style of design? I remember multiple safe hubs to let you catch your breath that broke off into multiple areas you could tackle in any order, where all the real hosed up poo poo happened

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Dark Descent have that exact style of design? I remember multiple safe hubs to let you catch your breath that broke off into multiple areas you could tackle in any order, where all the real hosed up poo poo happened

the big difference is that dark descent's design is still, essentially, a linear path with some forks to remove a single obstacle along that path, with the safe zone hub being temporal to the section of the game you're on. there's an everpresent forwards momentum and single objective that keeps things tight and tense, even if you have the opportunity to tackle one of three things in a varying order

the concern with standard open world design is that you must allow the player to travel relatively freely, since the big draw of it being open world is the ability to explore, discover, and consume pieces of content. this is anathema to weaponless horror design, since you have both far more opportunities to simply back out of situations you don't want to attend to at that moment, as well as running the risk of drying up the horror by having genre-designated bite sized content slices that quickly go from "terrifying" to "dull" through repetition

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Frictional has been consistent enough I’m willing to get hyped for an open amnesia game with guns.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I guess the review embargo for Callisto Protocol is up literally when it unlocks? It's out in 10 minutes here in the UK I think but there's no reviews yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

thebardyspoon posted:

I guess the review embargo for Callisto Protocol is up literally when it unlocks? It's out in 10 minutes here in the UK I think but there's no reviews yet.

have they confirmed times for when it's released, or if it's rolling vs a set time based on a certain timezone? Cause mine says "Locked till 12/2/22"