Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

Well that’s the other thing, it doesn’t really matter, crew served weapons account for 90% of casualties so better to train them on their actual jobs and not hitting the bullseye at 500m.

lol wait how long has that been true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I assume taliban small arms account for more than 10% of casualties. but then again maybe it's IEDs doing the heavy lifting, I really have no idea.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Looks like you're right as far as deaths go.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

I'm Non-Hostile Fire

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

genericnick posted:

I'm Non-Hostile Fire

so, like some sort of "friendly" fire

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

animist posted:

lol wait how long has that been true

Only since the Russo Japanese War or so. The rifled musket beat the rifled muzzle loader into service so during Crimea and the American Civil War the infantry outranged the artillery. Even then, it took the shrapnel shell and quick firing gun for artillery to really dominate the battlefield.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Weka posted:

Wow, helicopters really put in the work for the Taliban.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Both the SAS and SEALs owe their worst single day casualties to helicopters.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Both the SAS and SEALs owe their worst single day casualties to helicopters.

So your saying Black Ops guys should have more helicopters

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

So your saying Black Ops guys should have more helicopters

chuds also probably think the riskier the transport the cooler they are

animist
Aug 28, 2018

indigi posted:

so, like some sort of "friendly" fire

passive aggressive fire

Frosted Flake posted:

Only since the Russo Japanese War or so. The rifled musket beat the rifled muzzle loader into service so during Crimea and the American Civil War the infantry outranged the artillery. Even then, it took the shrapnel shell and quick firing gun for artillery to really dominate the battlefield.

huh, interesting. i feel like Hollywood and video games don't accurately reflect that 20th-century war is mainly about getting exploded by some guy you never see

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

animist posted:

passive aggressive fire

huh, interesting. i feel like Hollywood and video games don't accurately reflect that 20th-century war is mainly about getting exploded by some guy you never see

real war is 99% being bored and 1% being shocked

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

animist posted:

passive aggressive fire

you can't make a narrative or a story out of that

even all quiet on the western front made it more intimate than that for the purpose of actually writing a story

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

atelier morgan posted:

you can't make a narrative or a story out of that

even all quiet on the western front made it more intimate than that for the purpose of actually writing a story

quote:

"They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
"No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
"Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
"They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
"And what difference does that make?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
no work of literature will ever be as funny as the general scheisskopf chapter

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

genericnick posted:

I'm Non-Hostile Fire

It's non-hostile causes so includes the wide range of troop stupidity and also the one good troop decision.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its so good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I got kicked out of English class for laughing too hard during reading time

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

animist posted:

some video games get that part right!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, Advance Wars.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
thats why they wont releaase it

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the horrors of war is too much at a time like this

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I wonder if the taliban even knew what they did when they shot that Chinook full of seals down, took out like a third of the number 1 seals with an rpg

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

lolling that Advance Wars remakes are still delayed while the latest COD bullshit just yolo'd into existence not giving a gently caress.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I always liked the story that a reporter once asked Heller why he never wrote anything as good as Catch 22 again and Heller shot back "why haven't you?"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also even apart from artillery afaik in infantry combat a lot of the killing is done by machine guns

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1598144096606261248

join the army and get paid to play videogames

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the broad black brimmer of the PLA 🎶

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I wonder if the taliban even knew what they did when they shot that Chinook full of seals down, took out like a third of the number 1 seals with an rpg
Crazy how our psychotic super-soldiers can get merked with a vintage Soviet RPG just like anyone else.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

probably in a surprise in the same way i felt when i took down a transport chopper with an RPG thinking it was like one or two dudes but it was fully loaded while playing Battlefield 4

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There was that video the DoD put out everywhere for a while to show the first ever medal of honor action to be recorded on camera of high speed low drag tier one operators. All I saw was some dudes firing wildly Rambo style while forgetting one of their own and running away. Oh and the caption on the videos says there are dozens of bad guys off camera being bad.

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Dec 1, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ughhhh posted:

There was that video the DoD put out everywhere for a while to show the first ever medal of honor action to be recorded on camera of high speed low drag tier one operators. All I saw was some dudes firing wildly Rambo style while forgetting one of their own and running away. Oh and the caption on the videos says there are dozens of bad guys off camera being bad.

this is just a normal reaction of chud bravado meeting a slightest hint of incoming lead

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KomradeX posted:

So your saying Black Ops guys should have more helicopters Ospreys

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ospreys dont crash quite like they used to

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cuttlefush posted:

ospreys dont crash quite like they used to

they'll never be able to autorotate though, rip anyone in or underneath one hovering if it loses power or gets hit with an rpg

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

He was very surprised when he leveled up all of a sudden and got a chest 5x chest with 3 levels of garlic in there.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

PLAA plays ARMA

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

the military makes hanging out with your friends, working out with your friends and shooting guns with your friends into bad times. making video games lovely is no problem

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Huragok posted:

PLAA plays ARMA

ARMA developers better watch out, their gonna get sanctioned by the US for providing training aid to the PLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I assumed the us military made soldiers play America's Army