Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The later levels are much more linear, disguises aren't really that effective, and the ICA in the game has a hit squad of latex-wearing nuns.

For reference in this level of the game you escape a burning Hotel that they blow up while armed only in a Hawaiian pattern bathrobe (linear), then hunt them in a corn field in which you can disguise as a scarecrow and then actually hop up on the mounts for a scarecrow and wait for them to pass by (non linear). So yeah imo Absolution is a totally solid Hitman game, it just only really nailed the core gameplay and not the expansiveness of possibilities or the grounded-without-being-edgy story writing. It's not a Sandbox game like the rest of them, it's a toolbox, more like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vandar posted:

…so if someone was to want to start paying the Hitman series, where should they start?

The hitman trilogy (Hitman 2016/18/20) just make sure you ask for advice here on what to buy and how because the developers in their infinite wisdom made it convoluted as gently caress.

The old games are products of their time stereotypes wise and gameplay wise,contracts is solid but is essentialy a filler game made of flashbacks to the first (old)games.

Blood money is good fun.

Never play absolution.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Absolution is worth the five dollars it usually costs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ironically some of the highest tension I felt in a Hitman game was in Absolution due to its linearity. There's a point where you have to wait for a metro train in the midst of a big crowd that's being searched by the police and you have no disguise, nowhere to get away or backtrack to, you just have to wait for the train to arrive and ant trail your way through the crowd they're searching. Even if you disguse a a cop, they're cops so obviously they'll see through it in a second. I really felt trapped like a rat.

If the rest of the game had fun with set pieces like that which make you play Hitman in weird situations, it would have been much better if a lot different from the other entries in the series.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Nov 26, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Forgall posted:

Music in a Sonic game absolutely didn't need to go this hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRMaFCajcU

It really feels like aside from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, where legal issues led to them scrapping the original soundtrack and not being made by Sonic Team in the first place, they generally do pretty well on music. The only other lackluster one I can think of are ones with even bigger development nightmares like Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic 06.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Blood Money was near perfect but way too linear, then Absolution adds a lot of fun stuff but the core gameplay isn’t there. The trilogy combines both of them really well and is a perfectly good place to start.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IMO what absolution can never overcome is: would you rather play a suited international assassin in:

- ultra exclusive hotels, VIP lounges and secret underwater lairs to take out insane billionaires

- a shithole impoverished americana wasteland for the whole game to kill a like a corrupt policeman or whatever

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Absolution did let you detonate a nuclear bomb, which you could argue is the most surefire way of all to ensure zero witnesses (including yourself just to be safe).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
[at the pearly gates] "Well done, 47. Now, head towards an exit."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Absolution has an entire player-made Contracts Mode that is completely dead because they pulled the servers down years ago.

There was also the disguise system where it paradoxically made you more suspicious.

That god-awful checkpoint system made me want to cry. Also the startup menu forces you to listen to the same audio clip over and over. "Diana, she-"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked Absolution because it is the one Hitman game where I can murder the poo poo out of everybody in a level and not feel bad about it.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

CJacobs posted:

[at the pearly gates] [at a gate labelled "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here"] "Well done, 47. Now, head towards an exit."

Let's be honest where 47 is heading. Though given most of his targets are heading there too, perhaps he could arrange to kill them again down there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Absolution was during a somewhat inexplicable era along with Kane and Lynch 2 where the developers seemed to really be into a whole grindhouse aesthetic that no one really asked for or enjoyed.

Otherwise the Hitman games are somewhere between a slightly lower key Metal Gear and an airport thriller conspiracy novel, the trilogy definitely leans into that. (pretty much all the Escalation side contracts have titles straight out of airport thriller mad libs) Mostly you might miss in-jokes if you haven't played the older games, like the guy with American flag underwear and the time 47 dressed as a clown to infiltrate a party.

Also besides all the clones there's a bit of a running gag in the trilogy that 47 has a completely coincidental resemblance to supermodel Helmut Kruger, which is the incitement for several potentially fatal shenanigans.

And then there's the secret exit in the racetrack stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIHFV9kzw-E

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then there's the secret exit in the racetrack stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIHFV9kzw-E

And the other secret exit in the racetrack stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGqL6P4JeQM

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

These are very serious videogames.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Philippe posted:

Love games that play the story absolutely straight while batshit stuff happens around it. Yakuza is legendary for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Philippe posted:

*Nods and walks away while a fish loops through the air towards my target like a homing missile*

Also highly recommend playing Hitman Trilogy in VR if you have a headset for it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I like to think that Hitman: Absolution and Splinter Cell: Conviction would have both been pretty good Jason Bourne games, but they got shoved into the wrong franchises and are okay at best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Push El Burrito posted:

Love games that play the story absolutely straight while batshit stuff happens around it. Yakuza is legendary for it.

Both realise that having an extremely stoic and serious protagonist makes him an absolutely perfect straight man.

There's also a couple of songs made as a tie-in for the stage where you assassinate a rock star in the middle of a recording session, and it's implied that 47's drumming and sound mixing made it into the final beat for the posthumously released song.

vvv: I think at one point he outright says or at least implies, he knows it's not necessarily making the world a better place even if he mostly only accepts contracts on total bastards, and he basically spent his early live as a slave treated as a living weapon killing whoever he was told to, but ultimately being an assassin is what he's good at, the best in the world, and nothing else really keeps him interested.

Some of the side material gives some interesting insights into his character. He's constantly on the move and has to remain anonymous, so he doesn't really have the time or space for luxuries like a fancy house or nice cars- but he does enjoy his collection of fancy suits and rare, custom weapons. The WA2000 in particular, though it being a unique custom job probably feels fitting for him.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Nov 27, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah I love that 47 could presumably do basically anything he wanted for a living but well, that one attempt to retire went sour so gently caress it, keep on with the killings.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

beats for junkies posted:

I like to think that Hitman: Absolution and Splinter Cell: Conviction would have both been pretty good Jason Bourne games, but they got shoved into the wrong franchises and are okay at best.

Absolution could have been a great Archer game if they rewrote it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
More Code Vein stuff. Apparently the voice I chose for my character doesn't always just yell when falling into a pit, often enough they'll go 'Oh come ON!' instead

Also spoilers but For a few of the bosses you get a scene after beating them where the person who was transformed into a monster gets a melodramatic sendoff where they turn to stone. If you've found enough certain items in the area you can then revive them (which leads to the good ending) or just walk past and let them die for alternate rewards and plot. The little thing is when you decide to revive them their reactions are all on the order of 'wait, what?' in the few seconds it takes for the new cutscene to load up.

Also the second boss you can do this for gets their human sized hat just kinda plonked onto the top of their oversized helmet if you help them, its great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Weirdly fitting for the current subject while being about an entirely different genre: The general angle of the gym leaders in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet is that they're all local celebrities, which is why your gym battle gets a crowd going. The Grass leader is a local artist, the Electric leader is a livestreamer, the Ice leader is a snowboarding champ.

The one exception to this is the Normal type leader. Who nobody names even if they're talking about them, and you don't even get a picture of. You only learn who it is after going through the gym challenge, where it's finally revealed that...

He's just a goddamn salaryman eating at his favorite restaurant, his name is Larry. He gave you one of the clues and you didn't notice; he's the Normal type gym leader because he's completely nondescript. But despite not being a celebrity, he still gets a crowd because he's such a regular at the restaurant that everyone knows him anyway.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Absolution has an entire player-made Contracts Mode that is completely dead because they pulled the servers down years ago.

Contracts mode is in the modern Hitman trilogy and they expanded upon it, so it leads to more interesting contracts. They also have levels more suited to sandbox create-a-kill shenanigans. I don't think it is the biggest loss.

Philippe posted:

They really lean in to casual conversations where the NPCs are unaware but where everything that 47 says has undertones of him being a professional assassin, with no other hobbies or interests. Like this job interview in the bank mission (skip to 2:15).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chZJ7pwrBrU
(although in this case the posters and inkblots play along with that theme, because how else could you interpret them in a game like this)

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Nov 27, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

One of my favourites is from Hitman 2, in the suburbs level you can disguise as an estate agent and give one of your targets a tour of an empty house. Every room has 47 presents them through the lens of how great they would be for killing someone, except the room someone died in, he breaks down their death from the blood stains that haven't been cleaned up yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-d8hB5EsAM

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Absolution was during a somewhat inexplicable era along with Kane and Lynch 2 where the developers seemed to really be into a whole grindhouse aesthetic that no one really asked for or enjoyed.

[Citation Needed]

I can't speak to Absolution, but Kane and Lynch 2 owns bones. :colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

John Murdoch posted:

[Citation Needed]

I can't speak to Absolution, but Kane and Lynch 2 owns bones. :colbert:

Good news

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

I'm going through Omori again at the moment, and I love the small things that seem innocuous during your first run through but can be a real gut punch after you know the true story. One example is that you find a gym-type area with a jump rope on the ground and a poster that says "You did it!". Later in the game you discover that after accidentally killing your sister, you strung her up in a tree using a jump rope to make it look like a suicide, and your brain has been hiding the memories from you because you can't deal with the guilt.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

impossiboobs posted:

I'm going through Omori again at the moment, and I love the small things that seem innocuous during your first run through but can be a real gut punch after you know the true story. One example is that you find a gym-type area with a jump rope on the ground and a poster that says "You did it!". Later in the game you discover that after accidentally killing your sister, you strung her up in a tree using a jump rope to make it look like a suicide, and your brain has been hiding the memories from you because you can't deal with the guilt.

Oh gently caress, I really need to play through this game again after beating it :stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's kind of fun in God of War: Ragnarok is how when Atreus is hanging out with Angrboda if he goes down in battle and has a resurrection stone she runs over to him to use it but first pulls it out of his bag. Which makes sense seeing as he's the one who has it.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

bawk posted:

Oh gently caress, I really need to play through this game again after beating it :stare:

There are two major routes depending on what you do when Kel knocks on your door so if you want to experience the full game, you should go with whichever choice you didn't make the first time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet have a Daft Punk helmet as a clothing item. (The gold one, if it truly matters to you.)

That's one of the things that's so good it'a almost a downside, because what's the point of any other headpiece when one of them is a Daft Punk helmet?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got to the bit in God of War 2 where you fight Cerberus and get the Golden Fleece. WOW that fleece is awesome in combat. It deflects any attack, not just projectiles. Also I loved rocking the entire temple entrance until you can physically grab it and push the entire building off the cliff.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Waste of Breath posted:

And the other secret exit in the racetrack stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGqL6P4JeQM
That is a surprisingly faithful reproduction of Bayfront Park.

Also, lol

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet have a Daft Punk helmet as a clothing item. (The gold one, if it truly matters to you.)

That's one of the things that's so good it'a almost a downside, because what's the point of any other headpiece when one of them is a Daft Punk helmet?

I looked it up, and this is absolutely amazing, 10/10. The only thing keeping it from being an 11 is that at first I thought maybe your Pokemons could wear it, but it's trainer only

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This was my reaction to the nude+oiled cosmetic in Assassins Creed Odyssey

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Flinger posted:

This was my reaction to the nude+oiled cosmetic in Assassins Creed Odyssey

AC Origins has an outfit that's almost as good: a towel wrapped around Bayek's waist. If you put your hood up, there's a towel on his head as well.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

gently caress it's cool when Amicia goes beast mode in Plague Tale Requiem.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Philippe posted:

AC Origins has an outfit that's almost as good: a towel wrapped around Bayek's waist. If you put your hood up, there's a towel on his head as well.

Ghost of Tsushima lets you have a towel and a basket on your head.
Edit: I forgot you could also have the Col Sanders mustache hanging out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AFewBricksShy posted:

Ghost of Tsushima lets you have a towel and a basket on your head.
Edit: I forgot you could also have the Col Sanders mustache hanging out too.

Thank you, I was too lazy to find a screenshot but the bucket/stache combo was my favorite thing ever.