Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Ali Express t shirt model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Would wear(it’s not that bad of an album)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hawowanlawow posted:

Spanish vowels always sound the same, if you can read you can pronounce Spanish

Speakers of literally any other language, learning that English vowels pretty much uniquely do whatever the gently caress they want depending on context or just because:

:dafuq:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Rebel the verb and rebel the noun are a great example of how stupid English is.

The rebel will attack the base.

The people will rebel against the oppressors.

Why is the same word pronounce differently?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Data Graham posted:

Speakers of literally any other language, learning that English vowels pretty much uniquely do whatever the gently caress they want depending on context or just because:

danish has more vowel phonemes :smuggo:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It has an actual name: The Great Vowel Shift.

When the Normans conquered Britain, they spoke a dialect of French. French became the official language of British government, and as a result French was cool and English (still the language of the people) picked up tons of French loan words.

Then Henry IV came along, who didn't speak French natively, along with the 100 Years War. Suddenly French wasn't cool and all those French loan words began to be pronounced in an English manner. The printing press started standardizing spelling, and soon spelling and pronunciation parted ways.

So as usual it's all the French's fault.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Rebel the verb and rebel the noun are a great example of how stupid English is.

The rebel will attack the base.

The people will rebel against the oppressors.

That's one example of a general rule that English has. Two syllable nouns get stress on the first syllable, two syllable verbs get stress on the second syllable. See also "combine," for example. It helps us determine part of speech easier; lots of languages have features that serve a similar purpose I think, idk I'm not a linguist. So it might be a bit of a dumb rule but it does have a purpose, at least.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Texans take a dumb pride in not pronouncing Spanish correctly. When I lived in Austin I was shocked to learn that Guadalupe St is pronounced “Gwada-loop” there

Louisiana is the same way with French. It's completely random which names they use the French pronunciation and which ones get English.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Deteriorata posted:

It has an actual name: The Great Vowel Shift.

When the Normans conquered Britain, they spoke a dialect of French. French became the official language of British government, and as a result French was cool and English (still the language of the people) picked up tons of French loan words.

Then Henry IV came along, who didn't speak French natively, along with the 100 Years War. Suddenly French wasn't cool and all those French loan words began to be pronounced in an English manner. The printing press started standardizing spelling, and soon spelling and pronunciation parted ways.

So as usual it's all the French's fault.

Yeah this is something that no matter how many times I've read about it the less sense it makes to me lmao. Like sure I get the cultural attitudes thing but to take written vowels that have all been universally understood forever and just randomly reassign them to arbitrary diphthongs, like I suddenly sounds like "ai", and then 400 years later I have to wonder whether a Ferrari Spider in its native Italian is pronounced "speeder" and lol @ that? Henry violation: vowel fuckery

But I like how the printing press came along just in time to cement in stone all the pre-Shakespeare spellings like "helped" before he had a chance to popularize writing "help'd" the way people were saying it by that time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Data Graham posted:

But I like how the printing press came along just in time to cement in stone all the pre-Shakespeare spellings like "helped" before he had a chance to popularize writing "help'd" the way people were saying it by that time.

Surely this had nothing to do with that the printer could charge more £ for more characters?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Fajita rhymes with vagina

I worked in the kitchen at a retirement community as a kid and there was this firecracker Jewish granny who would pronounce fajita in that way.

Working at a retirement home was a rad high school job. Schmoozing and BSing with a bunch of interesting old people was fun. It was cool to hear the collected life experiences from people who had lived for a long time in a very different world than I did.
They all ate dinner early so you'd be clocking out at like 7 pm every night so you could go hang out with your pals

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now let me tell you about tonal languages.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
One of radio/televisions’s worst crimes is slowing the process of words being pronounced drastically differently from town to town. Didn’t eliminate it, but slowed it down.

Word fuckery is great!

Edit:

https://youtu.be/Oj7a-p4psRA

HPanda has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Dec 1, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah this is something that no matter how many times I've read about it the less sense it makes to me lmao. Like sure I get the cultural attitudes thing but to take written vowels that have all been universally understood forever and just randomly reassign them to arbitrary diphthongs, like I suddenly sounds like "ai", and then 400 years later I have to wonder whether a Ferrari Spider in its native Italian is pronounced "speeder" and lol @ that? Henry violation: vowel fuckery

It also has to do with vowel shifts that took place both within Old English -> Modern English and Old French -> Modern French. Some of the way we say the "French" vowels are hosed up because the French don't say them that way any more.

It's not so much randomly making a hard shift as it is things changing over time. It looks like the blink of an eye linguistically but we're still talking generations of change.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

That's one example of a general rule that English has. Two syllable nouns get stress on the first syllable, two syllable verbs get stress on the second syllable. See also "combine," for example.

This just blew my little mind.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I played around with it a bit in my head, and it doesn't quite measure up to being universal; I'll think I'll pour myself a measure of gin after this

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sentient Data posted:

I played around with it a bit in my head, and it doesn't quite measure up to being universal; I'll think I'll pour myself a measure of gin after this

Name me an English rule that is universal

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
But how will you mea-Sure it?

Oh, I see, that was indeed the joke. Very clever chap, that one.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Data Graham posted:

Name me an English rule that is universal

"Other countries would be better run if we did it"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Harlot?

Yes, more than a little.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does idea rhyme with year?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It turns out this is from a Christian fundamentalist movie about how books are all evil, except for the Bible. Our guy here is a victim of book addiction.

Outstanding.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

marshmallow creep posted:

Does idea rhyme with year?

In Boston

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hyperlynx posted:

It turns out this is from a Christian fundamentalist movie about how books are all evil, except for the Bible. Our guy here is a victim of book addiction.

Outstanding.

All books that contradict the Bible are heresy and should be burned.
All books that agree with the Bible are superfluous and should be burned.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hyperlynx posted:

Outstanding.

It was sent to me by my ~12yo nieces who just discovered it and are obsessed with it. Very religious but probably as likely to ridicule something like a fundamentalist movie as we are

I did my impression of it at Thanksgiving to their delight. Then did the Moskau song/dance for karaoke lmao

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Or France.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Would wear(it’s not that bad of an album)

Sure. The worst Radiohead album is still like a B/B- album by most bands' standards.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Breetai posted:

Or France.

or New Zealand, and parts of Britain

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Radiohead is a one hit wonder.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm about to one hit you upside your radiohead and make you wonder.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

lmao no they're not

they never had a hit

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

HenryEx posted:

lmao no they're not

they never had a hit

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Oh man i love that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Literally the only good song Radiohead did.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phanatic posted:

Now let me tell you about tonal languages.

I've been wondering about that. How do songs work in tonal languages? Cos if melodies are based around tone, and so are word-meanings, are there a lot of screwy interactions between the two?
This is one of those things where I don't know enough to express what it is I want to know.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Very funny. Link the real one.
https://youtu.be/CsiP-GrbbD0

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been wondering about that. How do songs work in tonal languages? Cos if melodies are based around tone, and so are word-meanings, are there a lot of screwy interactions between the two?
This is one of those things where I don't know enough to express what it is I want to know.
Puns mostly

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

poo poo, so we are getting a God Emperor of Dune film, but it's gonna be animated? smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Railing Kill posted:

Sure. The worst Radiohead album is still like a B/B- album by most bands' standards.

Some real good b-sides from that time as well (million dollar question,killer cars,you never wash up after yourself)