Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

I was gonna say "I loving loved AmbuLAnce but I don't know that I can take another one of these movies.", but looks like Bay didn't even direct this one! It's directed by Steven Caple Jr., the director of Creed II.

Well, Bay didn't direct Bumblebee, either. So I think the franchise is moving beyond him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

I was gonna say "I loving loved AmbuLAnce but I don't know that I can take another one of these movies.", but looks like Bay didn't even direct this one! It's directed by Steven Caple Jr., the director of Creed II.

Bumblebee was a soft reboot without Bay (that one was directed by Travis Knight) and this movie looks to be a sequel to that.

Edit: goddamn it get out of my head Thrawn

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

Ha, nah, it's too fun in here.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiE38DvpZKI

They're still making these movies?

Also, I never watched even a full episode of Beast Wars, why is a Transformer made to look and act like a gorilla, to the point of beating his chest? I'm pretty sure the car thing was a camouflage. No one is gonna confuse him with a gorilla.

Beast Wars takes place in the past during the prehistoric era, well before the original G1 series starts up. I think there's large traces of raw energon(?) on the planet in the first season and the only way to protect their inner robotics was to scan/adapt to whatever animal fossils/wildlife that was present near their crash sites; the maximals landed near a bunch of mammals, the predacons next to a bunch of dino fossils. Then there was a big event in season 1 that sort of nuked all of the energon lying around, removing the need for those animal shells, but it also warped their exoskeletons into Transmetal designs.

A plot device to sell different toy models for each season 🧸

White Light fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 1, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

White Light posted:

Beast Wars takes place in the past during the prehistoric era, well before the original G1 series starts up. I think there's large traces of raw energon(?) on the planet in the first season and the only way to protect their inner robotics was to scan/adapt to whatever animal fossils/wildlife that was present near their crash sites; the maximals landed near a bunch of mammals, the predacons next to a bunch of dino fossils. Then there was a big event in season 1 that sort of nuked all of the energon lying around, removing the need for those animal shells, but it also warped their exoskeletons into Transmetal designs.

A plot device to sell different toy models for each season 🧸

Legit, thank you. But I also regret asking.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It is what it is my man, certainly ain't high art that's for sure 🤷‍♂️

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrawn527 posted:

Well, Bay didn't direct Bumblebee, either. So I think the franchise is moving beyond him.

AceOfFlames posted:

Bumblebee was a soft reboot without Bay (that one was directed by Travis Knight) and this movie looks to be a sequel to that.

Oh that's right! I forgot about Bumblebee. I remember that one being the most entertaining of all of them, but I only saw it once in theaters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lolin at Biggie's disembodied voice echoing AND IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW meaninglessly over and over EPIC MOVIE MUSIC while stupid robots from a toy cartoon slug it out

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I like the part in the beginning of the trailer where the big gorilla robot makes a big splash that hits the tiny humans but neither react and aren't soaking wet.

Anyway Bumblebee was a real fun movie. Shame that Knight isn't coming back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ambulance was really quite exquisite

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ambulance was just an exercise to see how many drone shots Michael Bay could fit in a single film

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It's not Transformers without Frasier.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

ROTB does seem to involve him more than Bumblebee since he went to Peru to oversee the Machu Pichu shoot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe Bay is taking a cue from Adam Sandler and is now just coming up for excuses to go on holidays abroad on the studio's dime. If so, good for him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

thrawn527 posted:

Legit, thank you. But I also regret asking.

Beast Wars was kind of a cool series when I was in middle school more than 25 years ago :psypop: . It was one of the first 3D animated shows that ever aired and had a very entertaining voice cast and a decent plot for a morning cartoon, despite most of it being pure transformer spectacle to sell toys. It only lasted 3 seasons and its run largely predates internet culture so it's always a bit entertaining to me that it became an obsession after the fact.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 1, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I loving loved Beast Wars when I was like, 11 or 12 or whatever. Probably the last cartoon (besides Reboot) I remember specifically watching on Saturday mornings on the local Fox affiliate. If that last trailer shot had featured a giant purple dinosaur I'd probably go watch for purely nostalgic reasons.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It only lasted 3 seasons

I too do not acknowledge the existence of Beast Machines.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Whenever I think about the Transformers series I remember hearing some random dude at a show saying "Transformers 1? 'spretty good. Transformers 2? FUCKIN' DOPE.

He's not wrong.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sirotan posted:

I too do not acknowledge the existence of Beast Machines.

To this day I have no idea what they were thinking.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

To this day I have no idea what they were thinking.

The only good thing I can say about it is it made me a fan of Leftfield.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I'll go see it, I still have the majority of the Beast Wars toys on display in my office.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm young and Canadian enough that the OG transformers was corny and meant nothing to me, but Reboot and Beasties were middle school staples. I will more than likely be watching this one when it's streaming just to see ratrap

But yeah the trailer was... a trailer. It really wasn't exciting at all.

The same with the Cocaine Bear trailer, it has a weird momentum.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tim Whatley posted:

Ambulance was just an exercise to see how many drone shots Michael Bay could fit in a single film

Michael Bay using a drone camera should've been a lot better. Hopefully this was like a test run for his next movie because as is Fleishman Is In Trouble has made better use of drone cameras.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The only way I’d be interested in a Beast Wars movie is if they did it in the same style as the cgi cartoon. And by interested I mean I’d go “lol” and not see it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVYgWYaHmE

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Welp it's def an Indiana Jones movie. Just not so sure I care anymore.

Pro: The deaging at :45 really does look legit, at least for the short clip.
Con: Goddamnit with the slow piano theme poo poo again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:effort:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Where's Mutt??

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

thrawn527 posted:

Bumblebee was pretty entertaining, leaving the Bay influence behind is a good thing tbh.

That trailer was pretty mediocre. Like there could be a cool movie behind all that but you wouldn't know it from the weird mishmash of everything on display there. I'll probably go see it anyway because I was a big fan of Beast Wars as a kid but if they want anyone besides nostalgic nerds to see it they better replace whoever cut that trailer.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

BonoMan posted:

Con: Goddamnit with the slow piano theme poo poo again.
Someone mentioned this with the Super Mario trailer as well but man that poo poo just doesn't work if the original theme's pace is too quick does it?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Everything wrong about the new Indy is in that shot of the Nazis hanging off the clearly digital train, or posing in front of the clearly digital New York street.

This looks boring and fake. I love Indiana Jones. It deserves better than this awful loving era of digital danger.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 1, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hey guys remember the giant rolling rock?? And that time where he uses his whip????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

Where's Mutt??

hopefully in jail for his crimes

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Hey guys remember the giant rolling rock?? And that time where he uses his whip????

Remember when he pulled out a gun to shoot the guy with the close combat weapon?

Well I'm about to blow your mind...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I mean what do you guys want from a new Indy movie? This was exactly what Top Gun 2 served up, they just did it very shrewdly. There's a template for an Indiana Jones movie that needs to be followed somewhat. I'm not saying that this movie is going to be any good (though casting Phoebe Waller-Bridge was an inspired idea), but I just don't know what people are expecting here.

That said, yes the overabundance of mediocre CGI is blah.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Looks great, the one thing the Tintin movie needed was for the characters to all be inexplicably live action.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

so this was all a lie lol

https://screenrant.com/indiana-jones-5-director-put-an-emphasis-on-practical-effects/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jewmanji posted:

I mean what do you guys want from a new Indy movie? This was exactly what Top Gun 2 served up, they just did it very shrewdly. There's a template for an Indiana Jones movie that needs to be followed somewhat. I'm not saying that this movie is going to be any good (though casting Phoebe Waller-Bridge was an inspired idea), but I just don't know what people are expecting here.

Who said I wanted a new Indy movie?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewmanji posted:

I was having this convo with some coworkers yesterday. I just don't think I can care about a new Indie movie. It was great for its time and great for my childhood. I loved it. And, CG crap aside, this does look like more of the same... it's just that I've moved on from that. Not trying to be hoity toity. I just meant what I said. I don't think I can really care anymore.

Which is fine, if the universe centered around me then the answer is "don't make any more - that time has passed." But obvi it doesn't so if people like it, then go hog wild and have a good time!

I like watching the old ones because they are good films that mark important moments in my growth. But as a *new* experience... it just feels blank.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 1, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jewmanji posted:

This movie is like the antithesis of Top Gun Maverick. It's hard to imagine anything that made it into that trailer wasn't entirely CGI. The parade scene was especially egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want Indy punching nazi's and a way too much gore for a PG-13 movie