Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Wretch? It's a good 'un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

It's good. I have a human imagination so I can simultaneously ironically enjoy the bad late 80s early 90s production while imagining what it would sound like if produced in the manner of Skyvalley

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Trying posted:

I'm gonna listen to Kyuss's first album, the bad produced one all affiliated parties politely ignore

I remember picking it up based off an endorsement from Danzig in a metal magazine.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I remember picking it up based off an endorsement from Danzig in a metal magazine.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It's p. Kyussy. The lyrics are slightly dumb, but they are already p. dumb, generally. Honestly with falsetto vocals you could put this out as Qotsa album. Full circle, brah

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I love Wretch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Wretch has two great songs (Hwy 74 and Son of a Bitch) but they just had not unlocked their sound yet.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Maybe not a perfect fit for the thread, but I feel the need to post this:

https://lospalms.bandcamp.com/album/skeleton-ranch

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Metanaut posted:

Maybe not a perfect fit for the thread, but I feel the need to post this:

https://lospalms.bandcamp.com/album/skeleton-ranch

I made assumptions about how this would sound before I clicked the link and was extremely right.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The vocals on the new Elder album sound much better than the last couple releases. I saw someone here describe them as "unlearning how to sing" and maybe the criticism got back to him.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

He's been unlearning how to sing since dead roots stirring.

It's weird, the vocals on each album has been less good whereas his live performances have got much better.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So Boris just released a new album.

https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/fade

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bonk posted:

The vocals on the new Elder album sound much better than the last couple releases.

That's definitely a big part of why I'm enjoying it

Edit: speaking of...

:dafuq:

(I'm assuming it might have to do with a reupload and an automatic message alongside it or something)

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 3, 2022

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

anyone itt make it to sunn cave 2?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

This end of the year Dead Meadow release is a tasty slab of psychedelia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upq9Ws5trk8

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
New Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean EP is free to download.

https://chainedtothebottomoftheocean.bandcamp.com/album/i-tried-catching-you-but-you-fell-through-me

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Y'all remember how good Fu Manchu's stuff from the 90s is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqYeedwEA4E

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fu Manchu is always good :colbert:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Fu Manchu is a band like Clutch where I think they’re great but man I’m not listening to an entire album

I don’t smoke weed so maybe that’s my problem

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah solid B tier band imo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nah

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Cat Hassler posted:

Fu Manchu is a band like Clutch where I think they’re great but man I’m not listening to an entire album

I don’t smoke weed so maybe that’s my problem

Clutch has whole albums worth a listen; their self titled album, Blast Tyrant, and Earth Rocker especially.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Fu Manchu is S-tier how loving dare you. Clutch is way gimmickyer def B tier.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

moxieman posted:

Clutch has whole albums worth a listen; their self titled album, Blast Tyrant, and Earth Rocker especially.

this absolutely

butros posted:

Clutch is way gimmickyer def B tier.

wtf :blastu:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sleep, Bongzilla, Dopethrone: exists

Stoners: "Clutch, now there's a gimmicky band."

butros I don't know if you're a stoner or not, no offense

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

moxieman posted:

I've been listening to Robot Hive: Exodus all the way through recently because it happens to be in the cd player in my truck and for being 4-5 spots down the list of their most interesting albums, it really hangs together well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Clutch aren't gimmicky so much as their sense of humor and general vibe appeals to a particular type of really annoying guy. But they bring the riffs and are thus a good band with some really good albums.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Sleep, Bongzilla, Dopethrone: exists

Stoners: "Clutch, now there's a gimmicky band."

butros I don't know if you're a stoner or not, no offense

None taken and this is p accurate

I've been listening to Robot Hive: Exodus all the way through recently because it happens to be in the cd player in my truck and for being 4-5 spots down the list of their most interesting albums, it really hangs together well.

This is actully my fav clutch album

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I think Clutch and Fu Manchu are in the same tier and whatever tier that is it's beneath Sleep and Bongzilla

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I think Clutch and Fu Manchu are in the same tier and whatever tier that is it's beneath Sleep and Bongzilla

Extremely consistent B-grade material.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Clutch is obviously the remainder of a high school D and D club that got good at making music. I think Neil's songwriting got a lot less interesting after Robot Hive and is now mostly strings of words and sci-fi and fantasy concepts that sound "badass" when shouted. I saw an interview where someone asked him what Earth Rocker meant and he said "I dunno, it just sounds cool to me." They've always been really silly though.

Fu Manchu songs are all muscle car concepts that sound badass when shouted.

I love them both for all those reasons plus big riffs and they are my favorite garage music.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

I remember seeing Clutch and finding the guitarist really boring on stage, but the drummer picks up that slack and carries it hard. Sick drum riffs, is that a thing?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

King of the Road loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcoSQN4a8gc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6fZHf1fTmI

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

blindidiotgod posted:

I remember seeing Clutch and finding the guitarist really boring on stage, but the drummer picks up that slack and carries it hard. Sick drum riffs, is that a thing?

You went to a Clutch show and managed to not look at Neil for the whole show? Impressive!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

blindidiotgod posted:

Yes, JP is a fantastic drummer and plays a pretty minimal kit. All his effort goes to tone and rhythm. And yeah, Tim is a guitarist who sounds good but your eyes just slide off him on stage.

Good soup! posted:

King of the Road loving rules

:yeah:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I bet those vans are pieces of poo poo but I've always wanted one, if only to have that album along for the ride

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Something about Clutch never quite clicked with me. It felt like music from a pickup truck or Budweiser commercial, and not in a good way.

It’s not that they’re gimmicky, it’s just the wrong gimmick for me.

Of course it’s all subjective and I’m glad people love them :angel:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Sure does! That's the album that got me into their music. A late bloomer, I was.

blindidiotgod posted:

Even though those guys aren't so animated on stage - which doesn't phase me - they played flawlessly and sounded fantastic when I saw them live. The crowd was very lively as well. It was money well spent.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Seeing Clutch live is so much fun. One of those bands I will never ever miss when they play a show near me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Sure does! That's the album that got me into their music. A late bloomer, I was.

Even though those guys aren't so animated on stage - which doesn't phase me - they played flawlessly and sounded fantastic when I saw them live. The crowd was very lively as well. It was money well spent.
I'm pretty sure I found Fu Manchu through Hell on Wheels on a soundtrack to the Gravity Games in high school. There was some other good stuff on it, like The Hellacopters, but also a bunch of nu metal/hard rock trash from the day. I think that was the moment I started getting into stoner rock, so Fu Manchu is kind of special to me.

moxieman posted:

Seeing Clutch live is so much fun. One of those bands I will never ever miss when they play a show near me.

The last time I saw Clutch, somebody tossed a water bottle at the stage and Neil booted it back into the crowd saying "What the gently caress is wrong with you??" to the dude that tossed it.

Then later in the show, some guy put his arm around a girl's neck in the pit and Neil saw it and brought things to a screeching halt, chewed the guy out hard, and had the bouncers bounce him. After he was gone, Neil says something like "Don't do that poo poo at our shows ONE TWO THREE FOUR" and they just went right back into the song they were playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

The last time I saw Clutch, somebody tossed a water bottle at the stage and Neil booted it back into the crowd saying "What the gently caress is wrong with you??" to the dude that tossed it.

Then later in the show, some guy put his arm around a girl's neck in the pit and Neil saw it and brought things to a screeching halt, chewed the guy out hard, and had the bouncers bounce him. After he was gone, Neil says something like "Don't do that poo poo at our shows ONE TWO THREE FOUR" and they just went right back into the song they were playing.

:coal: