Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that it still needs a loving college degree.

Anyways I'm rooting for pizza rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- A college degree
- A "Swashbuckling attitude, crafty humor, and general aura of badassery”
- A “virulent vehemence for vermin.”
- NYC residency.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

If he struck down the drat college degree, he could get any bodega cat on the the rest. I even think they could run across a keyboard and do more good than most of the Microsoft Office poo poo I see. I'd assume the cat would require a cardboard box full of peanut butter cups as a bed.

Seriously, I'd wish they would come up with some better mechanism for accepting cats. I know some places treat them like poo poo and I would hope they could just do something to improve that instead of being either fined for the cat or fined for the rats.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Daniela Melchior is ready

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If he struck down the drat college degree, he could get any bodega cat on the the rest. I even think they could run across a keyboard and do more good than most of the Microsoft Office poo poo I see. I'd assume the cat would require a cardboard box full of peanut butter cups as a bed.

Seriously, I'd wish they would come up with some better mechanism for accepting cats. I know some places treat them like poo poo and I would hope they could just do something to improve that instead of being either fined for the cat or fined for the rats.

NYC actually has "community cat" laws that consider a wild cat that is part of the community a companion animal instead of wildlife.

NYC Mayors have a weird history of being obsessed with attacking certain animals. The rats are pretty understandable, but Rudy Giuliani's infamous obsession with banning ferrets and Curtis Sliwa's policy on letting kittens die rather than stopping the subway to clear them out are pretty hilarious.

The sheer anger and rage Rudy has at this guy who loves ferrets and calls in to yell at him for being anti-ferret is still a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l7d_3rkaX4

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

NYC Eric Adams is worried that people haven't been talking about what a weirdo he is for a few months and wants to just remind people.

He's calling on New Yorkers to channel "good vibes" and "party vibes" to the city to help the crippled NYC tourism industry.

He's also creating a new position in government called "The Office of New York City Rat Czar."

The actual unironic job requirements are:

- A college degree
- NYC residency.

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1598304533125693440

Unsurprisingly, Adams has a long history of being weird about rats - including shower off his own custom designed deadly rat traps when he was the Brooklyn borough president that also drowned the rats it caught.

NYC is also now selling $48 T-Shirts to raise additional money for an "anti-rat squad" in the city.

He should just do what the UK does and hire a cat. I kid you not, there is a position in the UK government known as "Chief Mouser". Right now Larry holds the position:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Charliegrs posted:

He should just do what the UK does and hire a cat. I kid you not, there is a position in the UK government known as "Chief Mouser". Right now Larry holds the position:

What was Larry's position on Brexit?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Youth Decay posted:

I don't think there's any good in that tbh, his fans hang on every word he's saying and will just repeat it even further. We really don't need anti-semitism crowding the airwaves any more than it already is.

I think it won't be unambiguously positive or negative, but he is definitely losing fans (and money) over this. People who have put up with a lot from him are finally cutting the cord. I also doubt he'll be able to find a whole lot of mainstream collaborators anymore, and his production deals are probably gonna dry up too, which is uncharted territory for him. However talented he is, he's long been the least interesting part of his own productions, so I don't see that working out very well for him.

Now, that does still beg the question "To what end?" and I'm not really sure. Again, not necessarily a positive or negative overall. I have no idea if he was personally doing anything to make the lives of Jewish people worse before now, so in that sense it may have been better for him to just keep his mouth shut, even if it meant an anti-Semite got to keep making lots of money.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Youth Decay posted:

I don't think there's any good in that tbh, his fans hang on every word he's saying and will just repeat it even further. We really don't need anti-semitism crowding the airwaves any more than it already is.

His fans aren't any different from any else. People who liked his music but thought he was an rear end in a top hat abandoned him a long time ago.

Music industry doesn't give a gently caress though. People memory-holed Eric Clapton being a racist.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

So Kanye west is currently doin an interview on Info Wars and he's boosting Hitler and being so openly antisemitic that Alex Jones is pushing back on it.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1598367806348996608?s=46&t=coHgngWm7ouue0VeDa8m3Q

Some conspiratorial part of my brain thinks that Kanye has either of his own accord or in conjunction with all these folks decided to become a sacrificial monster in order to launder these folks reputations so that they don't look as gross and abhorrent in comparison to Kanye West, the horrifyingly godawful anti-semite who hangs around with other gross un-persons removed from society like Nick Fuentes and Milo Yiannopolis. Because so far both Tim Pool and Alex Jones have managed to just barely pass the "don't be as awful as Kanye West" test. Donald Trump failed it, but that's kind of irrelevant.

I know it's not true by any measure, but it sometimes feels like it is, the way it keeps playing out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

What was Larry's position on Brexit?

Yowling to be let out, staring at the open door, then turning around and yowling to be let in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NYC Mayors have a weird history of being obsessed with attacking certain animals. The rats are pretty understandable, but Rudy Giuliani's infamous obsession with banning ferrets and Curtis Sliwa's policy on letting kittens die rather than stopping the subway to clear them out are pretty hilarious.

That was Joe “Kitten Killer” Lhota. Sliwa loves cats so much he owns 17 of them and brought one along to vote

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Unsurprisingly, Adams has a long history of being weird about rats - including shower off his own custom designed deadly rat traps when he was the Brooklyn borough president that also drowned the rats it caught
drowning buckets aren't that uncommon of a warehouse/barn rat traps and people need to be less squeamish about killing vermin

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

That was Joe “Kitten Killer” Lhota. Sliwa loves cats so much he owns 17 of them and brought one along to vote

You are correct. I got the two Republican NYC Mayoral candidates who are obsessed with cats mixed up. One of them is extremely pro-cat and the other extremely pro-cat murder.

World Famous W posted:

drowning buckets aren't that uncommon of a warehouse/barn rat traps and people need to be less squeamish about killing vermin

Yeah, but people flipped out when Adams introduced it.

It is also a little weird for the Borough President to design their own deadlier version of a rat trap and be so proud of it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
anyone should be proud to invent a better mouse trap

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

e: wrong thread

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 1, 2022

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
they all say humane and non-lethal but they were all designed for drowning

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DNC just announced that they will vote on the new primary schedule this weekend.

Unclear what the first 5 states will be (plus, it probably won't matter this year anyway and will likely be different states in 2028), but the first vote is on whether to kick Iowa out and make Michigan the new first primary for 2024 and it is expected to pass.

https://twitter.com/jmart/status/1598409086088912908

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DNC just announced that they will vote on the new primary schedule this weekend.

Unclear what the first 5 states will be (plus, it probably won't matter this year anyway and will likely be different states in 2028), but the first vote is on whether to kick Iowa out and make Michigan the new first primary for 2024 and it is expected to pass.

:sickos:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So it seems like they’re going to drag this student loan thing out for awhile

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1598405471278288897?s=46&t=qKthRu8WI2djJh2aBBT98Q

If they’re hearing the case in February, no decision will probably be released until May/June

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

So it seems like they’re going to drag this student loan thing out for awhile

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1598405471278288897?s=46&t=qKthRu8WI2djJh2aBBT98Q

If they’re hearing the case in February, no decision will probably be released until May/June

They actually agreed to expedite it.

The non-expedited schedule would have been Fall of 2023 or Summer of 2024.

Two months is very fast for the courts because they operate on a different timescale than the rest of the world. Just be thankful that you can't file continuances in the middle of a Supreme Court case.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Moving up Michigan because of Labor while loving the rail unions is one hell of a play. Can't wait for the battle of the Octogenarians to commence with Bernie winning Michigan.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1598415403805450252?s=46&t=roDbbBU67RPyR9QtBnlJWA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Manchin was one of the No votes

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1598417079446675460

Ted Cruz and John Kennedy care more about workers than Joe Biden.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

FlamingLiberal posted:

Manchin was one of the No votes
shocked, shocked I say

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

NYC Eric Adams is worried that people haven't been talking about what a weirdo he is for a few months and wants to just remind people.

He's calling on New Yorkers to channel "good vibes" and "party vibes" to the city to help the crippled NYC tourism industry.

He's also creating a new position in government called "The Office of New York City Rat Czar."

The actual unironic job requirements are:

- A college degree
- NYC residency.

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1598304533125693440

Unsurprisingly, Adams has a long history of being weird about rats - including showing off his own custom designed deadly rat traps when he was the Brooklyn borough president that also drowned the rats it caught.

NYC is also now selling $48 T-Shirts to raise additional money for an "anti-rat squad" in the city.

There is a clear solution to a rat problem:

No crevice will be safe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Plek posted:

There is a clear solution to a rat problem:

No crevice will be safe.

I think this was an actual joke on Futurama. There are owls everywhere instead of rats because NYC released ferrets to get the rats and then released owls to get all the ferrets.

Maybe Rudy was in league with big rat the entire time he was mayor and pursuing his anti-ferret agenda?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I think this was an actual joke on Futurama. There are owls everywhere instead of rats because NYC released ferrets to get the rats and then released owls to get all the ferrets.

Maybe Rudy was in league with big rat the entire time he was mayor and pursuing his anti-ferret agenda?

I've seen that joke elsewhere as well, but I believe if you tried to replace one pest with another a step up the food chain, it would only take one or two steps until they didn't have enough food to sustain a population.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Can Bernie gently caress their poo poo up now?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1598421378625052676

Nope. Congrats to the Dem Trifecta for granting Railway workers a grand total of zero (0) sick days! Truly an incredible accomplishment. Progressives accomplished nothing as usual but were perfectly happy to allow the Dems to gently caress over labor, again.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

The time to gently caress poo poo up was before sick leave was split off into its own bill so that exactly this outcome would happen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gyges posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1598417079446675460

Ted Cruz and John Kennedy care more about workers than Joe Biden.

LOL no they absolutely don't, and if it was close to passing they'd have been a No.

Why do we choose to pretend this poo poo is real?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Koos Group posted:

I've seen that joke elsewhere as well, but I believe if you tried to replace one pest with another a step up the food chain, it would only take one or two steps until they didn't have enough food to sustain a population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yruQM1ggc

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Youth Decay posted:

Sanders specifically evaded questions from the press about whether he'd block a vote on the baseline version of the agreement. He and everyone else knew this was a show vote because they couldn't get Manchin. Everything else about the totals is a set of hall passes and messaging.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Zeron posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1598421378625052676

Nope. Congrats to the Dem Trifecta for granting Railway workers a grand total of zero (0) sick days! Truly an incredible accomplishment. Progressives accomplished nothing as usual but were perfectly happy to allow the Dems to gently caress over labor, again.
Stoked to hear more justifications of why this was the correct and moral thing for the dems to do!

e: Here's an unusually lucid Guardian column I just saw, advocating that labor hold the Dems to account for this betrayal:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/01/joe-biden-rail-strike-labor-unions

quote:

People will point out that strikes are disruptive. Yes. That’s the point. A rail strike would be so disruptive that the rail companies probably would have given up the sick days to prevent it – and if they didn’t, the White House could have weighed in on the side of the workers to make them. Instead, it did the opposite, and rescuing hope for those workers fell to Bernie Sanders and to progressives in the House, who forced congressional leaders to move a separate bill to guarantee the sick leave they were asking for. As usual, it was the left that went to the trouble of fighting for labor after the party’s mainstream sold it out for the sake of convenience.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 1, 2022

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

A clear L for the Biden administration.

The railroad workers should strike anyway.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

His fans aren't any different from any else. People who liked his music but thought he was an rear end in a top hat abandoned him a long time ago.

Music industry doesn't give a gently caress though. People memory-holed Eric Clapton being a racist.

I admit it has been like a decade since I last listened to Kanye but isn't his music complete poo poo these days?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

DarkCrawler posted:

I admit it has been like a decade since I last listened to Kanye but isn't his music complete poo poo these days?

It mostly is, but the albums that were good are really good.

That doesn't excuse him being a literal Nazi, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really don't think I can fully express how despicable it is that they separated these bills.

Jaxyon posted:

LOL no they absolutely don't, and if it was close to passing they'd have been a No.

Why do we choose to pretend this poo poo is real?

You and I know it's not true, but there are plenty of other people out there who will be swayed by it.

Besides, the reality isn't much better: Ted Cruz cares about workers exactly as much as Joe Biden, which is to say not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wait, 52 with 6 Republicans?