Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
If you try to make ice cream in 30 minutes for a competition you deserve to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

ice cream is a noob trap

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

lobster shirt posted:

it's a timed cooking show, you have 30 minutes to come up with, cook, and plate your dessert. also there's only one ice cream machine for two contestants. some people manage to pull it off but i guess with those time and equipment constraints it's not easy.

Ah. It's pretty impossible to make ice cream from scratch in half an hour. Maybe if it's an extremely simple recipe that doesn't need to be cooked first and you can start churning it in the first five minutes, you can do it. It sounds like asking for trouble to me, though

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You wanna make money sell biscuits and sweet tea.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Ah. It's pretty impossible to make ice cream from scratch in half an hour. Maybe if it's an extremely simple recipe that doesn't need to be cooked first and you can start churning it in the first five minutes, you can do it. It sounds like asking for trouble to me, though

they also try to make panna cotta a lot which is really funny because it never, ever works. not enough time even with a blast chiller! anyway chopped is a cool show that i like to watch.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i made bread pudding. it is good. OP should have a couple recipes for too old donuts

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I just picked up burgers from a place that had pinball, was a nice way to pass the time. OP you should get some pinball machines. Probably won't help your business but when it's slow you'll be able to play pinball.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Elephanthead posted:

You wanna make money sell biscuits and sweet tea.

Gunshot land biscuits (then kind you top with sausage gravy) or knife land biscuits (aka cookies)?

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Given the mention of sweet tea, the sausage gravy variety is my bet. Southern folk love their sweet tea almost as much as biscuits and gravy.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Braking Gnus posted:

Given the mention of sweet tea, the sausage gravy variety is my bet. Southern folk love their sweet tea almost as much as biscuits and gravy.

My friends British mum uses sugary tea as the cure for basically everything.

didn't help his brothers diabetes though

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CarForumPoster posted:

However, donuts and coffee are not a combo. They're two things that IMO don't go GREAT together.

:frogout:

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I order coffee most of the time

One time I got a cappuccino at a steakhouse and it was so good I asked waiter about it and he said it was instant lol

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

I order coffee most of the time

One time I got a cappuccino at a steakhouse and it was so good I asked waiter about it and he said it was instant lol

I stand by what I said before: there are plenty of perfectly fine instant coffees. The tea and spice shop by my house sells instant cappuccino mixes, and the raspberry chocolate one I bought is pretty good. There's no shame in instant, so long as you're not running a coffee shop

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Still waiting to hear what is the plan for when you run out of cash a month or two in. Is the odyssey over? What is the "fail state" of the concern?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i had a cinnamon roll with my coffee this morning, it was quite nice

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Still waiting to hear what is the plan for when you run out of cash a month or two in. Is the odyssey over? What is the "fail state" of the concern?

If the fail state is "well, that sucked; come on kids, let's go get some pizza" then it'll all be fine by me.

Just don't deny your kids pizza and we'll get along fine. :ninja:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

The kids will eat coffee and donuts and like it

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Local Perkins ownership doesn’t want to be Perkins anymore because Perkins is telling them they have to do all kinds of poo poo to be Perkins lol

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Rationale posted:

Local Perkins ownership doesn’t want to be Perkins anymore because Perkins is telling them they have to do all kinds of poo poo to be Perkins lol

You should buy the building

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Rationale posted:

do you have what it takes to be a Perkins?

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
If they go out of business consider buying their equipment.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

So?

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Rationale posted:

Big Perkins is nothing to mess with. It would be wise to delete your post.

This is your only warning.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I was more of a bob evans guy anyway, do they have used equipment?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Pivot, everybody loves Perkins except for those scrubs who don't want to be a proper Perkins. Open your own, superior Perkins. With blackjack and hookers.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

No more bootleg Perkins, we're going legit.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Who needs a building.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Call your place Merkins.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hell ya, 'merca

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Rationale posted:

Did you make donuts for Thanksgiving?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

h3r0n posted:

Who needs a building.

Missed opportunity for the bonus gift to be called the Holester™

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Shmtur posted:

Did you make donuts for Thanksgiving?

Yeah but then the kid was asleep at go time so we got there like an hour late when everyone was stuffed and I think like ten were eaten.

I got into a pretty good workflow where I could finish and pack donuts as I was frying and turning other donuts. I tossed them in cinnamon sugar and they were -generally- good. Like pk says it’s easy to overwork self-rising dough so the last few batches came out tougher than than a teenaged grandma. In the future I’ll cut this dough into bars because it feels bad to waste dough and re-using scraps isn’t working out too well.

I think I’m about maxed out on what I’ll call the tailgate model. It’s pretty enjoyable work but it’s not super productive being that I can’t even fry a dozen at a time.

This weekend we’re going to design the kitchen layout. This is a pretty exciting step because my wife’s degree is all about it and I’m a giant prick about workflow.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
From everything people with baking experience in this thread have said, one of the biggest challenges of the business is the repetition. Even if you aren't producing a lot of donuts, it seems like it would be valuable for you to make multiple batches every single day for weeks/months at a time and see if it's how you want to spend your time well after the novelty has worn off. Even if you throw them in the garbage, it's probably a better investment from a risk mitigation standpoint than just about anything else you can do right now, since setting up the whole operation and then realizing you actually hate making donuts for six hours a day will be a pretty expensive discovery.

I'm getting the vibe that you like the problem-solving aspects of starting this business (e.g. figuring out the best way to make donuts, optimizing the process, designing the kitchen, sourcing the equipment, etc.) than the business itself. Which is kind of like having kids because you love newborn babies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm excited to see some workflow optimization of a thing OP has neither done nor observed

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm excited to see some workflow optimization of a thing OP has neither done nor observed

Thats how you do ~disruptive innovation~ when youre a ~generally exceptional person~

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

"Self-rising dough" isn't a thing. There's self-rising flour, which is called that because its leaveners are already added. I beg of you, if nothing else, to learn what things are, and what they're called

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
No

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

"Self-rising dough" isn't a thing. There's self-rising flour, which is called that because its leaveners are already added. I beg of you, if nothing else, to learn what things are, and what they're called

Self-rising dough is what you get when you have enough money to manipulate the stock market yourself instead of having to hitch your ride to other schmucks.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm sorry, do you expect us to listen to you, someone with professional baking experience, or a goon who can make "-generally- good" dough-nuts that are jumped upon by Thanksgiving goers, a notoriously temperate and recalcitrant bunch when it comes to delectables, in quantities approaching almost a dozen?

Did you not hear? But a mere two months of this and he has already reached "-generally- good" quality in his product! The dough-nut revolution is nigh! I bid you good day, sir/ma'am/whatever is appropriate, I said good day!

Rationale, I apologize, the cheek of this malcontent, it's preposterous. Please continue as you were, you magnificent maestro of morning munchies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you listen to experts you will just repeat their mistakes