Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I had a fun Ironclad run (A15) last night that got most of the exhaust power synergy - Corruption (actually grabbed two for consistency), two Dark Embraces, a Feel No Pain. Was a bit iffy on my first time through the deck each fight but was able to tank through it thanks to Bites from Blood Vial. Did not do enough damage, though, and ended up running out of things to exhaust against the Heart, which was very expected. Still need to get IC and Defect to A20 one of these days (do not ask me about Watcher I can't play it for beans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Ha! I ended up winning with Ironclad today.

Went Strength build (which I still don't understand, do you not lose the buffs every turn) and at a point was hitting for over 100 dmg.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pro starcraft loser posted:

I just picked this up a few days ago when it was on sale. Is it normal for the 3rd level to really kick your rear end for a while?

Part of the challenge of the spire act 3 is that it constantly introduces new enemy patterns to trip you as you make your way up. Like how you have to kill all three darklings before they regenerate. So on your first encounter with a new patten it's going to flatten you most of the time because you didn't know you had to plan against it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ha! I ended up winning with Ironclad today.

Went Strength build (which I still don't understand, do you not lose the buffs every turn) and at a point was hitting for over 100 dmg.

nah, Strength is a scaling stat for (hopefully) making you more powerful the longer the fight goes on which is important for boss fights

unless it's a card like Flex which explicitly says you lose the strength buff at the end of the turn

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

nah, Strength is a scaling stat for (hopefully) making you more powerful the longer the fight goes on which is important for boss fights

unless it's a card like Flex which explicitly says you lose the strength buff at the end of the turn

Ooooh, ok. I was running a few flex cards and had the one that doubled strength.

Oh, and the one that heals based on it's damage. That saved me a few times

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 1, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ooooh, ok. I was running a few flex cards and had the one that doubled strength.

You found a good combo! Flex says "Gain 2 strength, lose 2 strength at the end of your turn." meanwhile Limit Break has you double your current strength...which doesn't change how much Flex subtracts at the end of your turn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the "subtract strength at end of turn" effect that Flex gives is considered a debuff, so if you have any artifact (which negates a debuff), you don't lose the strength at the end of the turn

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
How did this happen? Isn't the bottom choice supposed to be get 999 gold and receive 2 normality curses? I've never seen that bottom option before.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've been thinking about this and I'm curious what your floor 1 pick was. Because floor 1 dagger throw or getting unload from Neow means reflex is a slam pick here.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

metachronos posted:

How did this happen? Isn't the bottom choice supposed to be get 999 gold and receive 2 normality curses? I've never seen that bottom option before.

The 3rd option is different based on when you encounter it, it won't give you the gold option if it's too close to the boss.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

metachronos posted:

^^^ What they said.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
attention thread i was given corruption for my "get a rare card" pick from the heart and picked up a dead branch from my second elite

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Impermanent posted:

attention thread i was given corruption for my "get a rare card" pick from the heart and picked up a dead branch from my second elite

thats a W, op

not quite on that level but boy i felt clever when i picked unload from a hallway despite rarely taking it, and then immediately picked up Tingsha from the next elite

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

The 3rd option is different based on when you encounter it, it won't give you the gold option if it's too close to the boss.

Interesting. Surprised it took me that long to encounter that. Then again I usually slam pick the boss fight option.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Impermanent posted:

congrats

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of broken ironclad builds i've gotten Pain/Rupture a few times but haven't yet gotten the majesty that's Necronomicurse + Blue Candle + Rupture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

metachronos posted:

Interesting. Surprised it took me that long to encounter that. Then again I usually slam pick the boss fight option.

I would wager you probably path for unknowns during Act 3, probably to get it over with quickly because the Act 3 hallways are ultra obnoxious to deal with?

So you'd probably run into Mind Bloom earlier in the act, usually, than later.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would wager you probably path for unknowns during Act 3, probably to get it over with quickly because the Act 3 hallways are ultra obnoxious to deal with?

So you'd probably run into Mind Bloom earlier in the act, usually, than later.

Yuuuup.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Act 1 Orrery, it's the predictable gamble, but I just can't leave a shop without looking at fifteen cards at the least.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Victory Position posted:

Act 1 Orrery, it's the predictable gamble, but I just can't leave a shop without looking at fifteen cards at the least.

Orrery got a lot bigger for me when I realized I am going to see those 15 cards anyway, so buying it lets me see them sooner and gets me 15 cards deeper into my card pool. So even if all 15 cards are stinkers, that's 5 hallway fights worth of rewards I don't have to slog through.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Late orrery is underrated because the cards have a chance to be upgraded based on the chapter in which you buy it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I will always buy Orrery because the chance to look at a card for 11 gold is amazing value.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Assuming they haven't patched it shop Orrery can actually be insane. For each card you see without opening a rare the chance that you'll get a rare increases. The Orrery rewards are all generated at the same time so you can easily pull multiple rares if you're deep in the level and haven't seen one yet.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
When choices are reduced to one by broken crown, does it draw the set of three and pick one to show/offer me or does it just give me those three one by one?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Those 3 one by one

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like Act 3 fights aren't actually that bad. Orb Walker is easy if you can beat act 2, the maw is nothing, darklings can trip up meme decks that can't hit 2 enemies in 1 turn but otherwise pretty easy. Triple Cultist is doable with either burst damage to take out 1 before they attack or AoE, the first few turns aren't too bad. I can't remember the last time the transient even hit me. Spire Growth can be tricky since it demands block every turn and has a decent amount of HP. Usually when I get the jaw worm horde, my deck is almost finished and its usually a victory lap, since you usually only get it in the 2nd half of act 3

I personally hate the shapes, mostly because of the spiker. It ramps up pretty quick and punishes you for NOT doing 1 big attack, which I think is the only enemy that does that, other than the loving noodle pile. Writing Mass sucks. It's not hard but you can get SUPER unlucky unless you play super carefully which makes it super boring.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

I feel like Act 3 fights aren't actually that bad. Orb Walker is easy if you can beat act 2, the maw is nothing, darklings can trip up meme decks that can't hit 2 enemies in 1 turn but otherwise pretty easy. Triple Cultist is doable with either burst damage to take out 1 before they attack or AoE, the first few turns aren't too bad. I can't remember the last time the transient even hit me. Spire Growth can be tricky since it demands block every turn and has a decent amount of HP. Usually when I get the jaw worm horde, my deck is almost finished and its usually a victory lap, since you usually only get it in the 2nd half of act 3

I personally hate the shapes, mostly because of the spiker. It ramps up pretty quick and punishes you for NOT doing 1 big attack, which I think is the only enemy that does that, other than the loving noodle pile. Writing Mass sucks. It's not hard but you can get SUPER unlucky unless you play super carefully which makes it super boring.

The Act 2 boss is one of the biggest hurdles in the game, so generally the Act 3 enemies aren't a serious threat to runs that make it that far. I think the point was more that some of the more unique fights there can trip up a new player who isn't familiar with what they do.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Transient can just end you if you are overly reliant on getting good hands and not getting bad ones (i.e. not having enough card draw). Granted, if that is the case you are probably not winning, and double granted that it's on the same floor as Repto which is like the hyper version of the Transient. But at 17+ it is no joke and the extra two turns takes it from "oh I'll be fine" to "need at least four full good hands."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In a floor where you can mostly get a slow scaling engine rolling Transient really demands that you produce damage or block early and consistently. It can definitely catch you out with the wrong build.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

A Moose posted:

Writhing Mass rewards patience. Lots of patience. This is why I do so poorly on it -- typically.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Writhing Mass can also just choose to hit you really, really hard sometimes. It's a scary enemy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the holy poopacy posted:

Specifically, it won't give you the gold option if encountered later than floor 41.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

Transient can just end you if you are overly reliant on getting good hands and not getting bad ones (i.e. not having enough card draw). Granted, if that is the case you are probably not winning, and double granted that it's on the same floor as Repto which is like the hyper version of the Transient. But at 17+ it is no joke and the extra two turns takes it from "oh I'll be fine" to "need at least four full good hands."

Transient also gives you a lot of flexibility in what makes up a good hand, though. I'm usually pretty happy to see Transient, it's a rare deck that can make it that far that still has to worry about it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Transient also gives you a lot of flexibility in what makes up a good hand, though. I'm usually pretty happy to see Transient, it's a rare deck that can make it that far that still has to worry about it.
raise your hand if you've died to transient

o/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I mean, I've played long enough for it to happen but outside of the shapes (which are just annoying) I'd generally rather see Transient than most act 3 fights.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Class-specific Boss Relics for Ironclad

Runic Cube
Mark of Pain
Black Blood

DISCUSS

Reason: I'm really finally starting to vibe with Ironclad (finally after a good thousand+ hours into the game). Silent is still my #1 but Ironclad is probably #2 now.
Want to know thoughts on Runic Cube maybe in particular. I just have a "feeling" that thing is broken if you get the right build going for it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't think it requires a specific build. Draw is almost always good and ironclad especially has things that deliberately hurt him in a controlled fashion.

It's probably the best of the three. Mark of pain might be better specifically when you already have things that synergize.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So cruel....

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

wouldn't recursion win the fight or am i missing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Hackan Slash posted:

I will always buy Orrery because the chance to look at a card for 11 gold is amazing value.

you can also open the Compendium from the main menu and look at a bunch of them for free