Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

England had subjugated Wales (not to mention itself) for the most part by the time our conception of masonry castles had come into vogue. You can see the concentration of castles in southern Scotland.

But a lot of that subjugation involved whacking castles down all over Wales and especially in the Marches on the English borderlands. Also, this is the 12th/13th century so well into the era of stone-built castles - Wales has some of the UK's most impressive castles and allegedly has one of the highest concentrations of castles in Europe. Admittedly, a lot of those are ruined now so I wonder if they're only counting extant buildings?

I also think they might be counting any fortified structure as a castle regardless of age, wonder to what extent the German Atlantic Wall defences account for the clustering in northwestern France near the coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Is there a version of that map that actually lists what all of its points are?

This one: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fh_eawYWYAAAw-n?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Like for instance, in southern Luxembourg there is only a single castle or fort, but it's showing a bunch of points all along the border, the Château Fort Le Mont-Saint-Jean de Dudelange. But it's showing points like at the French-Belgian-Luxembourg tripoint, of which the only potential thing there is a pre-Roman Celtic oppidum at Titelberg, of which there is basically nothing remaining. There is no castle or fort nor anything besides huge old steel factories at Esch-sur-Alzette, so no idea what the point that looks like it's there is supposed to be.

Switzerland also looks like it has way more castles than it does in reality, but since they all blob together it's hard to tell specifically.

Also RIP the Ijsselmeer, I see the Dutch finally dyked it off and filled it with land. But even there, that map is seemingly missing all of the forts / castles surrounding Amsterdam, of which there are a ton, like Fort Nigtevecht or Spijkerboor. Or if forts don't count as castles, then it raises a bunch of questions about other points that I'm pretty sure are forts and not castles.

Cool map but I'm skeptical of their methodology that covers Belgium in castles but has so few in England or NL. Would be neat to see an interactive version of that map though.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 1, 2022

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Took me a second to figure out Israel's - the native population includes Arabs, the immigrants decidedly do not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Saladman posted:

Is there a version of that map that actually lists what all of its points are?

from what i can tell, at least Denmark includes castles that are complete ruins (ie basically only grass-covered foundation stones remaining)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
France definitely has points that are like châteaux or tower houses more accurately. My guess: they stripmined everything called a château off google maps or something. That could be a proper medieval castle, a palatial estate, or some podunk village rich guy house.

Different terminology in different countries might be why say, Denmark's barely noticeable hill fort remnants get listed when surely England has plenty of those?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 1, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I mean at least some of them were real actual castles with walls and towers etc, they just got broken down by battle/disrepair, villagers using the stones for building material, etc

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Starks posted:

*sees mid rise apartment building with gardens and bicycle racks* is this a screencap from The Wire?

I remember watching films like Boyz N Tha Hood and Menace II Society as a child and thinking how all these people were obviously rich as they lived in single family houses with lawns and not large cramped apartment blocks like almost everyone I knew.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol israel

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fluoridated water household access

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember watching films like Boyz N Tha Hood and Menace II Society as a child and thinking how all these people were obviously rich as they lived in single family houses with lawns and not large cramped apartment blocks like almost everyone I knew.

Thats so funny, I remember thinking "jeese the houses in the LA ghetto don't look that bad" as a kid too. Detached houses on individual plots of land is a luxury of space thats reserved for the upper middle class in most urban areas.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Blut posted:

Thats so funny, I remember thinking "jeese the houses in the LA ghetto don't look that bad" as a kid too. Detached houses on individual plots of land is a luxury of space thats reserved for the upper middle class in most urban areas.

I had this experience when playing GTA San Andreas. Like why is there a gang war in this leafy cul de sac

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Saladman posted:

Such a North American post, lol. Like 90% of people living in cities in Europe live in places that look exactly like that. Including non-immigrants. Europe in general has an absolute poo poo ton more graffiti than the US, so the very small amount of graffiti in that photo isn't really meaningful either.

I actually had the exact opposite reaction as you: "are they too european to understand what projects actually look like? are things THAT pretty over there that this is what you count as urban decay?"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

What happened in Queensland

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

What happened in Queensland

In 2005, the state had no water fluoridation policy.

In 2008, they said “hey we should fluoridate our water”, and they did.

They’re regressed since 2012, though.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Why did Tasmania get worse

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Population growth in areas not served by fluoridated water systems

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I know someone already responded to this but I do definitely hope that the term "castle" will finally die in the 21st century

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A castle is a fort that's also a residence but what about the forts of the Old West in America? What about the Red Fort in India? The only thing that makes those not castles, by that definition, is that they're not European or medieval. It's a meaningless distinction. It's gotta go.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How will the king hide beside the rooks though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Castle is my dog's name why you gotta be like that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I know someone already responded to this but I do definitely hope that the term "castle" will finally die in the 21st century

Then what will kids make out of sand on the beach?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

NDP posted:

Then what will kids make out of sand on the beach?

They'll graduate beyond castles to trace italienne and Vauban fortresses if they want to be able to hold back Louis Quatorze, I'll tell you that much.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A castle is a fort that's also a residence but what about the forts of the Old West in America? What about the Red Fort in India? The only thing that makes those not castles, by that definition, is that they're not European or medieval. It's a meaningless distinction. It's gotta go.

who cares

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If we're voting to get rid of castle, my vote is "keep"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just a little bon motte

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Just a little bon motte

that's bailey a pun

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Brawnfire posted:

If we're voting to get rid of castle, my vote is "keep"

hodlfast

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

that's bailey a pun

It's more ward-play

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So star forts are castles, right?

This implies that the mod forum is a castle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1595549651616276480

It's because castles under the "proper" definition are specifically a medieval, feudal, independently powerful aristocrats that are difficult for whatever higher power to keep in line phenomena. It distinguishes these weird medieval elite homesteads from the much more organized fortifications from before and after the period where there were more organized states that could maintain standing armies to occupy those forts rather than a local residence for a local guy for the projection of local power that could at any time just break away on its own.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This needs to have more of NC in the rear end cream part.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's because castles under the "proper" definition are specifically a medieval, feudal, independently powerful aristocrats that are difficult for whatever higher power to keep in line phenomena. It distinguishes these weird medieval elite homesteads from the much more organized fortifications from before and after the period where there were more organized states that could maintain standing armies to occupy those forts rather than a local residence for a local guy for the projection of local power that could at any time just break away on its own.

Oi mate! You got a licence to crenelate?

Don’t make me slight you!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Neuschwanstein and Windsor are two incredibly famous examples of castles that have nothing to do with your definition. It's a meaningless, useless term.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

castles are cool
nerds drool

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neuschwanstein and Windsor are two incredibly famous examples of castles that have nothing to do with your definition. It's a meaningless, useless term.

I disagree.

If it excludes those two in particular, it’s working as designed.

What do you want to be a castle next? That thing at Disneyland?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Windsor started out as a proper Norman castle. It's all the later additions that turned it into a palace. Neuschwanstein on the other hand is a palace built to imitate a castle.

Just because something's called a castle doesn't mean it is a castle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Ottomans have bombards now, it's only a matter of time.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ASAPRockySituation posted:

the real question is 'why did tassie not get more worse, faster'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Windsor started out as a proper Norman castle. It's all the later additions that turned it into a palace. Neuschwanstein on the other hand is a palace built to imitate a castle.
The German name also makes this clear, as it (like most other Germanic languages) appears more particular about differentiating these terms. It is not Kastell Neuschwanstein, but Schloss. Even designed to look like a castle, the Germans never went so far as to pretend it actually was one.