Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

euros being in denial that car-centric sprawl exists even in enlightened evropa will never be not funny

you know, i have a sneaking suspicion that you don't really know what you're talking about and are simply making kneejerk aesthetic criticisms because you feel called out by someone criticizing a thing you agreed with

i agree with you that its bad! i just pointed out the tweet is whiny and wrong. if you also want to be whiny and wrong that is not my responsibility
Have.. you actually been around Europe? Things obviously vary from country to country (see chart below) but nothing is even remotely on the same level as North America, generally you leave the city limits and you're driving through fields. Maybe the Duisburg-Essen-Dortmund area for the type of endless suburbanish development, but it's pretty small all things considered. Downtown Dortmund isn't a giant parking lot, and you can get to Duisburg by train in 35 minutes.

Of course building a ring road around downtown didn't turn it into a parking lot single-handedly so that guy is definitely overselling it but it was all part of the same trend of pushing suburban development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What are the best ways places can reduce car trips for dropping kids off at school?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crankit posted:

What are the best ways places can reduce car trips for dropping kids off at school?
Other than living close enough that they can walk or bike? Public transport, but that again would require reasonable density to be feasible.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Have.. you actually been around Europe? Things obviously vary from country to country (see chart below) but nothing is even remotely on the same level as North America, generally you leave the city limits and you're driving through fields. Maybe the Duisburg-Essen-Dortmund area for the type of endless suburbanish development, but it's pretty small all things considered. Downtown Dortmund isn't a giant parking lot, and you can get to Duisburg by train in 35 minutes.

Of course building a ring road around downtown didn't turn it into a parking lot single-handedly so that guy is definitely overselling it but it was all part of the same trend of pushing suburban development.

i dont know why you think this chart you posted disagrees with me when it shows, on average, half or more modal share is automotive trips

i know you feel like there's some disagreement to be had here but this isn't it friend

Crankit posted:

this is a major reason that elementary schools are smaller and more scattered when possible, to get the school closer to the children to reduce distance traveled

also schools run their own fleet of buses

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

i dont know why you think this chart you posted disagrees with me when it shows, on average, half or more modal share is automotive trips
Well since you said something like smug europeans are in denial that car sprawl exists, the only way to strictly disagree that would be to claim that there's 0 car-centric sprawl. That's hardly possible to prove but the chart shows that car dependency is much, much lower overall. The 50% of car trips also don't prove the "car-centric sprawl". People use cars in cities and rural areas too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mobby_6kl posted:

People use cars in cities and rural areas too.

Good thing we're not banning cars in the cities then

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crankit posted:

Most common solution is to just set up buses for kids to go to school that can have their routes customized to most efficiently swing near where each student lives.

Basically any other solution would require some kind of psychological grappling with parents about their feelings over their own children being exposed to the outside world on their lonesome if they're walking a mile between school and home. And that's a more complicated question.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Crankit posted:

Urban planning that puts schools within walking distance of where kids live.

At least, that's how it is in Vancouver -- we have two elementary schools within three blocks of our house.

Well, except for the part where downtown has densified massively over the past 20 years, and is now full of kids, but they've barely built any new schools...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-waitlist-schools-2022-1.6372360

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well, except for the part where downtown has densified massively over the past 20 years, and is now full of kids, but they've barely built any new schools...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-waitlist-schools-2022-1.6372360

yeah, this is a problem during surging population growth - school construction and infrastructure construction isn't always in sync with housing construction

i don't know how canadian schools are structured, but in the states schools are typically their own subgovernment with their own budgeting and building programs, somewhat distinct but contained within the larger jurisdiction (city, county). or you get outliers like how texas has independent school districts. they plan short and longterm population projections to estimate necessary capacity, but these projections are going to get bodied by large amounts of residential development

i dont think that radical upzoning proposals will spark a boom in housing but if they did, in a few years time people would be like "oh wow where did all this traffic come from and why are the classroom sizes so large"

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 28, 2022

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Crankit posted:

Travel demand management programs. Walk, bike, scooter, bus, car pool, improve pedestrian crossings nearby, and maybe also stagger the pickup times eg with after school programs so not everyone is being picked up at once.
But the viability of each of those is contextual and friends upon the culture of the school, the parents, the layout and nature of the surrounding transport network and land use.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

bus service has been cut in my California exurb for all but the one school that service most of the rural area and the bus for disabled kids. The consequences are the majority of kids are dropped off via the car line.

One of the funner ideas in response has been a “bike bus”. Parents published routes and times that they would ride with kids on bikes to school so we now have an organized group ride with helmets and parents acting as crossing guards. So you can walk your kid with their bike to the route stop and feel more safe that they are going to get to school in one piece.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did check beforehand, and that sure seems like a lot of cargo going through waterways to me. And in a small country, that leaves not many areas very far from one.

Population-wise, it's around putting the population of Florida into Maryland. That's dense.

AIS usage (the transponder generating the green and red dots) has shot up since about 10 years ago, even private vehicles have it now. Any commercial vessel will have one and most private boats over 30' built after 2010 will have one as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that not all of these dots are transporting cargo or passengers. I think the round dots are virtual navigational waypoints/markers. If you hover outside the golden gate bridge there's a Y pattern of them helping to direct cargo traffic into shipping lanes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, that's a map with all the passenger vessels, pleasure craft, fishing boats, navigation aids, tugs and special vehicles turned off so that it's just cargo and tankers (Altho maybe the tugs could count as carrying cargo if they're pulling barges? Looking over at the Mississippi and it's practically nothing but tugs over there). If you look at it with all kinds of ships on, it's a lot more of a mess. It also looks like it's just way busier in general today.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:3.2/centery:52.1/zoom:7

Navigation aids I forgot to turn off, and they're the little pink dots. The big circles are still ships, just anchored. You can click each one and see its identity. The site even has filters for cargo capacity and whether the ship is carrying anything, but those you have to pay to use.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Someone cross posted this in the Cursed Images thread, so I had to follow it back here because I live in KC and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find parking downtown. So many of those lots are private or restricted or just plain fenced off and apparently abandoned. When I got married at the courthouse, we had to pay like $15 and park in a garage 6-8 blocks away. I once spent $75 for an uber there and back because I didn't want to spend 45 minutes looking for parking (this was New Year's Eve though). I missed my 10 year high school reunion cocktail hour because I couldn't find a place to park.

People do live down there, though. There's tons of lofts and apartments. Public transportation sucks (we have a free trolley but it's only a two mile route, and the bus routes aren't that great either) so I assume most places come with parking, which is why I can never find a spot when I go.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Someone cross posted this in the Cursed Images thread, so I had to follow it back here because I live in KC and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find parking downtown. So many of those lots are private or restricted or just plain fenced off and apparently abandoned.

you can see a similar effect of car-based depopulation in the residential areas of near inner detroit - all these gaps between houses were houses that ended up abandoned and torn down. prime opportunity to rebuild in the near future, which is happening at a growing pace

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3790255,-82.9512394,1287m/data=!3m1!1e3

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

you can see a similar effect of car-based depopulation in the residential areas of near inner detroit - all these gaps between houses were houses that ended up abandoned and torn down. prime opportunity to rebuild in the near future, which is happening at a growing pace

Lol IIRC the City started a program to tear down abandoned houses at the City's expense, because otherwise kids would set them on fire for fun.

Detroit has some pretty neat bike infrastructure going in though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

car-based depopulation, lol

That's definitely Detroit's problem, too many cars

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

That's definitely Detroit's problem, too many cars

its very ironic, like being a poison manufacturer

because detroit was so heavily concentrated in a booming industry (cars) it got wildly dense and then wildly un-dense within a human lifetime when deindustrialization came knocking

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does the east coast really jay walk more than the Midwest/West coast

Was driving home yesterday and this guy was less than 30ft from the crosswalk, just... Got out of his car and started wandering across the 4 lane road, I would have hit him if I hadn't slowed down to nearly a stop

I've lived in Texas and parts further west for most of my life, generally urban/-esque areas, while I've seen jaywalking in the past it was pretty rare, every couple of months maybe. In Dallas they definitely gave out tickets for it downtown

Moved east of I-95 and at first was concerned about lack of crosswalks (we use a stroller here a lot) but it seems that they aren't necessary here as people totally ignore them and prefer to cross mid-block. We now live near a major church downtown and every Sunday I'll see people parking across the street and crossing with small children, mid-block, nearly getting run down, absolutely every week

In DC (couple hours north of me) when I first moved here people would cross mid-block and I'd honk at them and they would just look at me annoyed

Is this actually an east coast cultural thing or am I imagining things

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm in the midwest and people definitely jaywalk a bunch in the actual cities here(and I can't fathom someone getting a ticket for it). Usually of the 'ped signal's red but there's no cars coming so gently caress it" variety, but we get people crossing mid-block too.

Hadlock posted:

We now live near a major church downtown and every Sunday I'll see people parking across the street and crossing with small children, mid-block, nearly getting run down, absolutely every week
This situation sounds like they should have put in a crosswalk ages ago, though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Haifisch posted:

I'm in the midwest and people definitely jaywalk a bunch in the actual cities here(and I can't fathom someone getting a ticket for it). Usually of the 'ped signal's red but there's no cars coming so gently caress it" variety, but we get people crossing mid-block too.

This situation sounds like they should have put in a crosswalk ages ago, though.

Midblock crosswalk, then mid-midblock crosswalk, until we reach the logical conclusion of a Shared Street where you can cross anywhere, except that's how pedestrians and drivers treat it now anyway

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I got a ticket for jaywalking when I was like 14. The judge sighed about the waste of time and gave me a warning.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Haifisch posted:

I mean, the church is right on the corner, there's perhaps a 15' shorter distance by not walking all the way to the corner, crossing legally, then back tracking the 15' to the entrance to the church. If they church were not right on the corner that'd seem like an obvious solution. In the other direction they have a school and there's a crosswalk mid-block to connect to the church (which I guess that plot has the cafeteria, or main office or something, and across the street is the gym) and that is a much smaller street thats also not a through-street

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1597342692551577601

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From my watching of YouTube videos, seems like the key to working fast on road projects is:

1) being able to shut down all the roads
2) not having to compact any dirt

The precast concrete tunnel nicely solves the second one.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

smackfu posted:

From my watching of YouTube videos, seems like the key to working fast on road projects is:

Minimizing excavation, not having to install it replace any pipes under the road, not having to mess with electricity, and also not discovering/needing to dispose of contaminated substances that can be in older road surfaces.

If it's just a straight up saw cut a bit of road, prep it, pour or precast concrete, and finish up then it could be done in a few days.
If it requires intensive renewals, stormwater, water main renewals, landscaping, has archeological discovery, is in a commercial area that needs to be kept open to the public, and some of it happens during COVID lockdowns it could take almost a year.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

smackfu posted:

In practicality - the thing that causes a "fast" road project is a combination of factors that mostly revolves around "If we try to do it conventionally, slowly, cost-effectively, people will ~hate~ the impact that it has on their lives through traffic, utility disruptions, stuff like that. When the engineer puts an alternative analysis on paper, it's up to the elected officials/executive to decide that it's worth the extra $5M to reduce travel delays. We might not agree with that choice, but when the project is done, the public will never have seen how 'bad' it would have been if we did it cheaply. Maybe it wouldn't have been bad? Maybe it would have? But there's a new bridge that's installed and there is a story that is easy for the public to understand for why it was closed for a week.

If doing it fast was cheaper, we'd do them all that way. You pay money for a fast final installation because you can turn 3 months of 50% road capacity into one weekend of 0% road capacity, after spending 2 months building a BEEFY bridge 100 yards away to drag into place. The way that you get it done as the owner is by throwing bushels of cash at the contractor, after proving that it's feasible to do it fast.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
We just finished a big maintenance project about year ago, which took roughly two years because neither reducing lanes, nor closing the road for any amount of time, was feasible, since the road is part of one of the main north-south connections in Europe (ie. between May and September a huge amount of holiday traffic from northern and western Europe makes its way to Italy and the Balkans through there).

The main goal was reinforcing the open tunnel, replacing the pavement, upgrading drainage, electricty and information systems, installing a new noise barrier, and building a new emergency lane which can be used if any of the other four lanes have to be closed for accidents etc. Almost everything was done while two lanes in each direction remained open at all times:

It's always funny listening to people complain about how long our roadwork construction projects usually take, when they've seen it go much faster in (insert country here where you just build the new roads next to the current one, for which we basically never have enough room in Switzerland). I think the entire project for the highway part was around $120 million or so.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Weather is also a major factor in how long road projects take. In SoCal, for example, you can pave pretty much year round and rain isn't really a factor. In the Carolinas, it's too cold to pave for threeish months of the year, and during the warmer months it tends to be rainy. Up north, most construction has to occur may-oct.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a system where you determine which lanes in the diagram will have a truck or is it random

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh it's just illustrative, but the inner (take-over) lanes are limited to vehicles with a max width of 2 meters, which excludes trucks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why twenty-four minutes?

(This is in the city of South San Francisco, which is not the same as the southern part of the city of San Francisco)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's the industrial city :eng101:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why twenty-four minutes?

I'd guess so they can put their parking enforcement on a 30 minute loop and then comfortably say if they see you there twice you're in trouble.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
or they reused a sign that used to say "hour"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some towns do 12 minutes for green curbs / short term parking. Doesn’t really help answer the question except maybe it’s 60 / 5 = 12 x 2 = 24

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why twenty-four minutes?

(This is in the city of South San Francisco, which is not the same as the southern part of the city of San Francisco)

It all goes back to the Sumerians...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hadlock posted:

Is there a system where you determine which lanes in the diagram will have a truck or is it random

I just had traumatic flashbacks to meetings where discussion of which lane in an illustration should have the bus and which the car went on for literal minutes

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

Weather is also a major factor in how long road projects take. In SoCal, for example, you can pave pretty much year round and rain isn't really a factor. In the Carolinas, it's too cold to pave for threeish months of the year, and during the warmer months it tends to be rainy. Up north, most construction has to occur may-oct.

In Australia we tend to always blame the weather on delays; nine times out of ten it's the truth, but otherwise it's a fuckup somebody doesn't want to admit to.

But the rest of the time it's the loving utilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
A lot of delay in the USA comes from funding.
We have to apply for and win grants for each phase of a project.
If an application fails, that adds a year because we have to wait for the next cycle. If that cycle isn't funded? The project is delayed indefinitely.

This must look really awful to the elected officials and voters who all celebrate when the local government initially approve a project, only to see nothing happen on the ground for decades.