Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Everyone who lives at a resort should be required to put where you live in your profiles so I can live vicariously through you.

Where is it snowing? I need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

Steve French posted:

Not sure how I feel about this guy, seems sorta like he might cherry pick outlier model runs. Not consistent with my trusted local opensnow forecaster…

the snow was great for when I was up there two weeks ago. light years beyond the conditions this time last year. they could always use more though. Ill be up there next weekend and for night of lights.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hmmm unless the world's strongest snow hurricane is happening up at Mammoth I fear this may be a typo

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Hello Ski and Snowboard thread!

My very foolish self went to Park City at the beginning of the year with friends who ski, rented a skibike as is appropriate (hello mtb thread regulars) and fell over many times, mostly out of fear of hitting a child at 20+ mph with a heavy aluminum frame. I then got drunk and bought an Epic pass under the mistaken assumption that I could bike with it, and have since lazily ignored approximately 1000 emails telling me to send them a picture and activate it.

Rather than try to get a refund at this point I have decided to take up my dad's ski equipment and move to Aurora with a friend about it. I'll have more than average time to dump into learning to ski this season and I see the big 4 resorts are all sort of right there to the west.

I see that boots need broken in, and the ones he left are a bit too big and from the early 90's, how long does that take? Does the price on services/equipment go higher or lower the closer I get to the mountain states? How do I avoid getting nickel-and-dimed by the resorts that I know from summer interactions operate at a 5x markup at minimum? Can I get the pass on my phone so I don't have to wait for it to be emailed? and where is the community preferred area to mark your count of kids/small animals run over, I would think on the front lip of either ski yeah?

Swear all I could think of as I slalomed along on that thing was how it was going to make the gta WASTED bell sound and I'd see the kid go flying

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 2, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

my god I'm jealous

...of the non-parabolic dad skis you must be rockin

(j/k I really am jealous and should have done this in my early 20s)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

kiimo posted:

my god I'm jealous

...of the non-parabolic dad skis you must be rockin

???

I am actively trying to figure out what these numbers mean vis-a-vis the ski spectrum. I also have some in storage that I think are cross country? Skinny, wood, pointy tips, looking sort of 80's neon green and black.

kiimo posted:

(j/k I really am jealous and should have done this in my early 20s)

:ssh: if you listen closely when I move, you can tell from the crunching that I'm not in my early 20's, I'm just stupid and reckless

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

188CM in length (big rear end skis!)

18 meter side cut radius

135 mm tip width
88 mm waist width
124 mm tail width

Get yourself some new boots. What is you height and weight? those skis might be real real hard to learn in.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
6'5, same as the old man, he had a bit of weight on me though, probably 240+ to my 180

Am I gonna have to force-feed myself like a fois gras goose? :/

Can I turn in his old boots at a shop for recycling or something?

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 2, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you move to the ski town and check out your local craigslist you can find good skis for learning on dirt loving cheap. Probably boots too.

Even if you are 6'4 those skis are real long for a beginner. Back in the day of straight skis they'd still start you off on 155s and now with parabolic it's even shorter.

I'd keep em though for later. Your dad's boots are probably worthless if they aren't your size.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
TBH those skis are probably going to be fine it's the boots you'll want. Also bindings only have limited adjustment so hopefully you're only like a size smaller.

I don't really get this "boots are going to hurt at first and then break in thing." It's rigid plastic, it's not going to move and fit your foot without having a boot fitter heat and punch the shell. The liners do adapt to your foot and generally you get them heat molded at the ski shop right away when you buy them. So if they hurt your feet after that things aren't going to improve much.

Anyway I skied today and it was pretty good. A little snowy and windy, when I got to the top and was exposed to the wind coming up the back I skipped that and stuck to the more sheltered bits. Maybe tomorrow.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 2, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That looks like some great snow.

If you haven't been watching Artic Lines, highly recommended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCSduN2ajs

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

jamal posted:

I don't really get this "boots are going to hurt at first and then break in thing." It's rigid plastic, it's not going to move and fit your foot without having a boot fitter heat and punch the shell. The liners do adapt to your foot and generally you get them heat molded at the ski shop right away when you buy them. So if they hurt your feet after that things aren't going to improve much.

the only boots I've ever worn that didn't start out feeling like they were trying to kill me were telemark boots. they tend to be hella roomy in the forefoot for obvious reasons, and even the stiffest are noodly and compliant compared to alpine boots.

I didnt start heat molding till freeing the heel, though. Haven't had a chance on the new AT boots yet, only doing it the hard way in case I don't get a chance to hijack my hill's heat molder in the next week.

Speaking of AT, binding mounting is proceeding apace.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Wow, hell of a drill press ya got there!

To offer a contrasting minority perspective on boots: the last two pairs of boots I purchased fit fantastic right outta the box (well, once I put my custom footbeds in them). But I’m a weirdo with apparently the Platonic Ideal Lange Foot so my experience is atypical.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 2, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As opposed to me who must have weirdly shaped ankles because I have never had a pair of boots feel close to good and I'm looking forward to spending whatever it takes to finally get that right.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I do need some new full alpine boots and I've been eyeing those Atomics with the mimic liner that gets filled with foam. Last year I got the idea that I could do everything on one pair and found a good deal on some technica zero gs. Turns out a 4 buckle overlap boot sucks to walk uphill in even if it has a "walk" mode and is kind of light. They do ski fairly well so I'm still using them when riding lifts but I need a very slight toe punch and had to stick a bunch of foam around my ankle/lower leg.

So anyway after a couple times out on those and one beer league skimo race I bought some atomic backlands and those were almost perfect out of the box, but again tight across the toes. The front of my foot is generally wider than a 98-99mm last but my ankle and lower leg are pretty skinny. Those shells have some heat mold-ability though so I stuck the whole thing in a liner oven and wore them around a bit then went and stood in the snow and that gave me just enough room in the front so they're pretty much perfect now. I think I also stuck some foam on the outside of my little toes as a sort of a "toe cap."

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 2, 2022

casque
Mar 17, 2009

What skis are these? I'd be surprised if they're 30 years old.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Rossignol experience 88 HD is what one of em says, idk when he got them (e; Google suggests 2018)

It's the boots that are almost as old as me:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Rossignol experience 88 HD is what one of em says, idk when he got them (e; Google suggests 2018)

It's the boots that are almost as old as me:

those boots are Kind of A Big Deal

The unique design was such a cult classic that decades later K2 bought the original molds and spun off a brand (Full Tilt) to make new versions of them, though this year they were folded back into K2

What I'm saying is if they fit OK then they're not a bad option for a beginner

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 2, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

While we're taking about ski appropriateness... Last year I went to a ski swap and found my first set of owned skis with the following numbers:
127-95-116
for basically free. Well, they were telemark skis and the old bindings sold on ebay for slightly more than I bought the skis for.

I'm 6'1, so the skis are basically exactly my height.

My skill level is... Upper beginner/ lower intermediate? And i bought them with the intention of both downhill and backcountry use, put salomon shifts on them, have done one very tiny introductory backcountry ski tour, and a few sessions of downhill on them.

Anyway when I got them and did some downhill runs I thought, drat, I must be real rusty, I've regressed a lot at turning! It only recently occurred to me that they're way longer than what I used to rent (which tended to be up to my nose or so), which might be why. Should I stick with them and just get good? Or do you think switching to some more appropriate skis will be way better?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

alnilam posted:

While we're taking about ski appropriateness... Last year I went to a ski swap and found my first set of owned skis with the following numbers:
127-95-116
for basically free. Well, they were telemark skis and the old bindings sold on ebay for slightly more than I bought the skis for.

My skill level is... Upper beginner/ lower intermediate? And i bought them with the intention of both downhill and backcountry use, put salomon shifts on them, have done one very tiny introductory backcountry ski tour, and a few sessions of downhill on them.

Anyway when I got them and did some downhill runs I thought, drat, I must be real rusty, I've regressed a lot at turning! It only recently occurred to me that they're way longer than what I used to rent (which tended to be up to my nose or so), which might be why. Should I stick with them and just get good? Or do you think switching to some more appropriate skis will be way better?

With the amount of camber and reverse camber and other z-axis geometry in modern skis it’s feeling like length on its own is becoming a less useful metric. 185 could be a good length for a 6’1” skier but if they’re not skiing the way you want get a new pair and don’t feel bad is my advice.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

bawfuls posted:

those boots are Kind of A Big Deal

The unique design was such a cult classic that decades later K2 bought the original molds and spun off a brand (Full Tilt) to make new versions of them, though this year they were folded back into K2

What I'm saying is if they fit OK then they're not a bad option for a beginner

Lol so the shop employees would be extra excited to document them going into a plastic shredder? Should I try to find some other giant to gift them to? I still have a bunch of his other stuff, unfortunately the man only gifted me his height and not his frame. If there's any goon sees this that would wear a 14L boot and wants them I will hand-deliver anywhere in the continental US in exchange for lessons because I need to :getgud: by mid-February

If you are bigly enough for the boots I also have a bunch of unworn or very lightly used clothing including some nice coats you may be interested in

e; unfortunately I don't have the 'slice of supreme pizza' costume he made from heavy foam and felt when I was a kid - picture a man who would fit these skis and boots bombing down Boyne Mountain, face poking out of a pepperoni and catching air as the crust at his knees flaps, crowing into the wind - "BYYYYOOOOOOOTIFUL! WWOOOOOONNNDERFUL!"

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 2, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ought ten posted:

With the amount of camber and reverse camber and other z-axis geometry in modern skis it’s feeling like length on its own is becoming a less useful metric. 185 could be a good length for a 6’1” skier but if they’re not skiing the way you want get a new pair and don’t feel bad is my advice.

I guess if anyone is familiar, they are BD Kilowatt skis, which random internet reviews rate as a very well-rounded, all-capable backcountry + downhill ski... so it seems perfect for what I wanted (quiver of one ski) but I'm just not used to the length I guess.

I'm wondering if going back to shorter more beginnery skis will make me some kind of beast after training with these. Maybe it would be fun to rent a pair just once to find out. But I don't think a whole different set is in the cards money wise atm.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember the first time I skied on parabolic skis I didn't know about the difference in length and got some 195s and thought that I forgot how to ski it was hilarious in retrospect like forgetting how to jump off a diving board in the middle of your approach and instead falling off the side

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Ended up staying in Olympic Village instead of Auburn because there was randomly a cheap as poo poo hotel room available 100 yards from the parking lot. Funitel/Gold Coast took a while to open but after everyone left for Alpine we got about 5th chair and then it was fresh tracks with almost no lines the rest of the day. Wasn't as deep as expected but way less people showed than I was expecting. 10/10 early season Palisades day.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

jamal posted:

I do need some new full alpine boots and I've been eyeing those Atomics with the mimic liner that gets filled with foam. Last year I got the idea that I could do everything on one pair and found a good deal on some technica zero gs. Turns out a 4 buckle overlap boot sucks to walk uphill in even if it has a "walk" mode and is kind of light. They do ski fairly well so I'm still using them when riding lifts but I need a very slight toe punch and had to stick a bunch of foam around my ankle/lower leg.

So anyway after a couple times out on those and one beer league skimo race I bought some atomic backlands and those were almost perfect out of the box, but again tight across the toes. The front of my foot is generally wider than a 98-99mm last but my ankle and lower leg are pretty skinny. Those shells have some heat mold-ability though so I stuck the whole thing in a liner oven and wore them around a bit then went and stood in the snow and that gave me just enough room in the front so they're pretty much perfect now. I think I also stuck some foam on the outside of my little toes as a sort of a "toe cap."

Rough spot you're in, to be honest. I have the zero gs and the backlands (carbon); for me the zero g is pretty darn well suited to my backcountry skiing style being a pretty solid mix of uphill and downhill performance. No doubt the backlands are better for climbing, but they're enough worse on the descents for me that I'd hate to have them as an only boot for touring. Similarly, though, while the zero g skis really well, I sure wouldn't want to use them as an every day resort boot (compared to the atomic hawx ultra 130s I use for that, anyway)

Splinter posted:

Ended up staying in Olympic Village instead of Auburn because there was randomly a cheap as poo poo hotel room available 100 yards from the parking lot. Funitel/Gold Coast took a while to open but after everyone left for Alpine we got about 5th chair and then it was fresh tracks with almost no lines the rest of the day. Wasn't as deep as expected but way less people showed than I was expecting. 10/10 early season Palisades day.

Awesome. I dropped my kids off at school and started heading to the mountains just before 9, and stopped to check the situation before turning up into Olympic Valley; saw that the funitel was still on mechanical hold and had a text from a buddy that he was at alpine so I opted to head there rather than wait who knows how long for the funi. Alpine was crowded but not horrible, maybe 5 minute lift lines. Got about 6 runs in just over an hour before bouncing to get lunch with my wife, first runs of the season on the wildcats.

We'll see how much of a zoo it is on Sunday (storm day) while kids are taking lessons... then maybe I'll try to get out Monday morning when they're hoping to open up more terrain

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I am very new to the touring side of things but so far can live with the skiing performance of the backlands and blacklights. Although last two days I was wishing for something a bit wider (they're 89 under foot). Easy to ski flimsy boots in fresh pow though. Nicer weather up there today, going to miss having the place basically to myself when it opens up in another week or two.

I clipped a tree under the snow and fell down right after taking that picture. it was kind of funny.

But yeah I'll probably just need to do a new full alpine setup fairly soon. But also kind of want some nordic stuff. And already bought a season pass and a new jacket and pants and a new bike recently and want to not spend money for awhile. Probably better to get through the early season on the old stuff anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 3, 2022

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

jamal posted:

I am very new to the touring side of things but so far can live with the skiing performance of the backlands and blacklights. Although last two days I was wishing for something a bit wider (they're 89 under foot). Easy to ski flimsy boots in fresh pow though. Nicer weather up there today, going to miss having the place basically to myself when it opens up in another week or two.

I clipped a tree under the snow and fell down right after taking that picture. it was kind of funny.

But yeah I'll probably just need to do a new full alpine setup fairly soon. But also kind of want some nordic stuff. And already bought a season pass and a new jacket and pants and a new bike recently and want to not spend money for awhile. Probably better to get through the early season on the old stuff anyway.

yeah, for sure wasn't suggesting that the backlands were a poor choice, just that if you're not touring on the zero g anyway because you find the backland good enough for you, I think you'd be a lot happier in a proper alpine boot for resort skiing

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

After 10 hours over 3 days, 4 helicoils, 1 Bridgeport session, and zero non-paper jigs I have successfully mounted my new skis and bindings.

For future reference, I strongly recommend the use of a jig.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Skied some pow, caught some rope drops yesterday... it was very awesome. Only early season I can remember that was this good was 2010-11. Would love a repeat of that winter.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
These...uh...sticks...aren't XC after all. I think I found what you sickos want to see me learn to ski on...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Very dope skis.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Car Hater posted:

These...uh...sticks...aren't XC after all. I think I found what you sickos want to see me learn to ski on...

Nice skis. Quick question, are you planning to destroy resort employee housing and build multi-million dollar condos in their place, or undermine said plan with semi-nsfw hijinks?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ah drat, haven’t seen those sick rear end marker turntables in forever either

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Went skiing. Ate poo poo on the bunny slope because I didn't use the binding right, figured out how to turn, went on a green lift, got going way too fast, forgot how to turn, and bailed out dramatically. An extremely nice snowboarder pulled up next to me with my dropped pole. My feet were in agony by that point so I unbuckled, hiked down, and went home. 10/10, rated 5, out there next weekend too.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
West is a great place to learn, you’ll get it!

casque
Mar 17, 2009

alnilam posted:

127-95-116

Shorter skis will let you get better more quickly.

edit: Saw they're kilowatt's. My first real skis were those in that length. Those are not rockered so they ski on the long end of 185. I loved them and would love to try skiing a pair sometime to see how that memory holds up. There's a million better skis out there now and I'd still recommend you go shorter (as a beginner and to make it easier manage in the backcountry). If you're on a budget some skis that might fit the bill for you that tend to go for cheap used include: K2 sidestash, K2 Pinnacle, Salomon QST, Dynastar Cham HM or 2.

casque fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 4, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

Went skiing. Ate poo poo on the bunny slope because I didn't use the binding right, figured out how to turn, went on a green lift, got going way too fast, forgot how to turn, and bailed out dramatically. An extremely nice snowboarder pulled up next to me with my dropped pole. My feet were in agony by that point so I unbuckled, hiked down, and went home. 10/10, rated 5, out there next weekend too.
See a professional to fix your boots and don’t walk down the slopes next time, solid work goon

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of seeing a professional about boots, I know there are a lot of SoCal based goons in this thread. Does anyone know where I should go to get fitted for boots?

I'm talking the heat up the boots and pop out the ankles full fitting. I'm through renting boots after cracking my toenail in half last season.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

bawfuls posted:

See a professional to fix your boots and don’t walk down the slopes next time, solid work goon

Oh was I in the way or trashing the slopes? I tried to stay right in line with the lift poles and keep an eye out, but will do for next time.

The shop will probably just heat them up and expand them a bit yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

kiimo posted:

Speaking of seeing a professional about boots, I know there are a lot of SoCal based goons in this thread. Does anyone know where I should go to get fitted for boots?

I'm talking the heat up the boots and pop out the ankles full fitting. I'm through renting boots after cracking my toenail in half last season.

hansens in encintas has boot fitting service. used it last year and it made a huge difference.
the retail shop in mammoth main lodge does heated foam work on boots as well.