Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nenonen posted:

That explains why he's so high then. Probably shouldn't be operating any machinery...

It's grass, not weed. Going into storage likely for livestock feed. They fluff it/spin release to aid in drying, so moisture can't gently caress it up as much.

Sky Tedder and the Grass of Tommorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sigher posted:

Why is this sign made out of carpet? Or felt. Or something.

Alright, who's going to tell me that this thing straight out of an sci-fi anime is actually a huge death trap and will probably seek out my family after devouring me? Take the fun away, quickly.
Manned gantry cranes are often frowned upon and encouraged to be operated remotely because your egress options in a fire (or chemical release, hi Sequoyah Fuels Corp) are juno out and break your legs or dock up with the entry platform and take usually a singular ladder down which you need to hope is not on fire or enveloped in smoke.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Seems like an appropriate place to keep a rope ladder, just in case.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Mustached Demon posted:

US has moose, too. Larger, more angry elk. Fairly territorial and will smash your car because it's fun to them.

Before I saw a full grown bull moose in person in my buddy’s yard in Washington, I just thought they were a little bigger funny looking deer. That thing was basically a garden shed with horns.

Much like the Grand Canyon, seeing pictures and videos don’t do them justice. Just waaaay bigger in person.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mycomancy posted:

Don't forget coyotes, bobcats, foxes, wolves, white-tailed deer, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, gila monsters, and various subtypes of sasquatch.

And rednecks!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That's already on the list, last item

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

haveblue posted:

That's already on the list, last item

mycomancy posted:

Appalachian orangutans

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Robobot posted:

Before I saw a full grown bull moose in person in my buddy’s yard in Washington, I just thought they were a little bigger funny looking deer. That thing was basically a garden shed with horns.

Much like the Grand Canyon, seeing pictures and videos don’t do them justice. Just waaaay bigger in person.

Used to have a coworker who was an elk hunter. They once accidentally walked up behind a moose by cresting a small hill. He said he had to look up a considerable amount to see its rear end in a top hat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Hadn't heard of this before:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ontario-apologizes-to-miners-families-for-harm-caused-by-mcintyre-powder/ar-AA14KYky

"To avoid getting black lung disease, please inhale this powdered aluminum before every shift. And by 'please' we mean if you don't do it you're fired."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ontario-apologizes-to-miners-families-for-harm-caused-by-mcintyre-powder/ar-AA14KYky

"To avoid getting black lung disease, please inhale this powdered aluminum before every shift. And by 'please' we mean if you don't do it you're fired."

:stare: Jesus loving christ.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I had to look it up and the whole notion of sniffing that stuff as protection was just completely untested when they forced people to use it.
Kind of like how some people believe that cyanide cures cancer, now just take these bitter almonds before you get into the radioactive waste dump.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Meskhenet posted:

Ive gotten into my car after work, slammed the door, and had the huntsman (i was looking for at the begining of the day, and run underneath the bloody car) drop on my head.(i knew exactly what is was the instant it dropped as i knew the spider was in the car. Its not as bad as you expect)

When i eventually managed to get it out of my car it scurried across the road, (it was a big one even by huntsman spiders as you could see it in dim light)

I no longer park in that spot just incase it remembers my car and wants a ride home.

BUT, the best thing about huntsman spiders

Is that they are semi cooperative, and live in family groups, so there is NEVER just 1.

So yes, over the next few weeks i battled another 2 before work.
(The last one i pretty much said gently caress it, went to coles during my lunch break and got a can of bug spray and absolutely sprayed every part of my car, inside and out. - last bugger was in the recess of my boot door handle. Yes i drove to work both times knowing they were somewhere in my car if you are asking)

Hahaha that's delightful what a story WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU LIVE SOMEWHERE THIS IS NORMAL

Know what I've never thought when getting in my car? Oh boy I hope there isn't a bear in there! Or an alligator! Or a mountain lion! Boy I better check the car for concealed bears just in case!

Now Americans I'll give you, fair dinkum, this country is full of them and they're terrifyingly dumb and many are violent. And have guns.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Isn't this how Buddy Ebsen almost died on the Wizard of Oz shoot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

shame on an IGA posted:

Isn't this how Buddy Ebsen almost died on the Wizard of Oz shoot

No, it was actually related to heart transplant surgery, but they got to the Wizard in time

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Now Americans I'll give you, fair dinkum, this country is full of them and they're terrifyingly dumb and many are violent. And have guns.

I always check my visor for trump supporters

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Robobot posted:

It was a fun day when my friend and I went taking photos in the mountains around our college. I parked my car on a ridge. I looked down my side and said, “oh hey, there’s a cow moose over there,” as my friend looked down on his side and said, “oh poo poo, two baby mooses.”

I think that’s the day I figured out just how fast a Subaru Legacy can go in reverse.

Elk in the US are also dinosaur huge, they’re just less funny looking so they get confused with deer more easily. I came around a blind corner on a dirt road, only to have to slam on the brakes because a cow elk was standing there. She looked down at me from a very great height before snorting and running away. Unsettling loving wildlife.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

namlosh posted:

:hmmyes:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Elk in the US are also dinosaur huge, they’re just less funny looking so they get confused with deer more easily.

For real. A bull elk in full rut with a good set of antlers is gigantic. The antlers alone can be something like 4 feet long.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

my friend looked down on his side and said, “oh poo poo, two baby mooses.”

The plural of "moose" is "moose" because you don't have time for a second syllable when you need to get the gently caress out of there.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The plural of "moose" is "moose" because you don't have time for a second syllable when you need to get the gently caress out of there.

Well it should be meese.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The plural of "moose" is "moose" because you don't have time for a second syllable when you need to vamoose.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
This seemed applicable to the thread

Tuggin' lmao

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Vlaphor posted:

Bears love getting lit.

Soviets used ethanol in their jets as coolant and everyone got hammered off the booze to the point where the all the wives wrote in to the higher brass and pleaded that they figure out something else to use. And the response they got was "if our aircraft would happen to require running off the best french cognac then that's what we are going to use" eventually it got so out of hand there were giant black markets established and everyone was permanently slapped so they ended up figuring out a different coolant to use. Pretty sure people drank even that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Soviets used ethanol in their jets as coolant and everyone got hammered off the booze

yes indeed -- specifically as a total-loss coolant for the radar electronics. in a mig-21 for instance you'd get about 30 minutes of radar use before it was all boiled off and you had to shut down. (this was fine because you only had like 45 minutes of fuel on an interception mission anyway).

my favorite bit of it is that near the end of the soviet union, when the planes were all falling apart and there weren't enough spare parts around to even keep up with training missions, each air base still somehow used up its full allotment of radar coolant every month just as if they had flown every mission on the schedule. how about that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite bit of it is that near the end of the soviet union, when the planes were all falling apart and there weren't enough spare parts around to even keep up with training missions, each air base still somehow used up its full allotment of radar coolant every month just as if they had flown every mission on the schedule. how about that.

They were also receiving the planned amount of fuel, unfortunately there wasn't unlimited storage space and couldn't just burn it in a bonfire or someone would notice. So they dumped it to ground.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/EGnkJ0C.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Video of large stiff object fitting perfectly into a tight hole.

Definitely :nws:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I thought they banned this wall hugging tactic in NASCAR?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I once watched a truck driver back into something like this. It was impressive.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK3zSdpACp0

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 1, 2022

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Lemme tell ya, she better be in the mood for that kind of switch up

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/5I6dysv.mp4

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Still safer than the other method - dropping hand-fused bombs from helicopters

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'll be in my bunk. That is just profane.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

namlosh posted:

IDIOTS IN MIRROR ARE EVEN DUMBER THAN THEY APPEAR

content:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Ahhh thats how the ski resort I worked at did it, every morning in the winter getting woken up by explosions.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

DreadUnknown posted:

Ahhh thats how the ski resort I worked at did it, every morning in the winter getting woken up by explosions.

A bunch of them don't explode apparently and they have to go find them in the spring time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

A bunch of them don't explode apparently and they have to go find them in the spring time.

And they provide a fun challenge mode for the skiers in the meantime