Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Minecraft Holmes posted:

send them in where exactly
to drive the trains probably and by drive i mean crash them all

maybe to also beat some strikers probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Minecraft Holmes posted:

send them in where exactly

3rd amendment baybee

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

If you want to piss off those stupid parasitic rail workers just say "Uber but for trains :smug:" and watch the fear well up in their eyes. They know it's all a scam and they're industry is about to be disrupted. Wrap it up railworkerailures!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Koishi Komeiji posted:

If you want to piss off those stupid parasitic rail workers just say "Uber but for trains :smug:" and watch the fear well up in their eyes. They know it's all a scam and they're industry is about to be disrupted. Wrap it up railworkerailures!

They'll get Elon to make a tesla autopilot but for trains that immediately sends a tanker through a preschool

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ex post facho posted:

remember during the tractor strike when John deere tried to staff its factories with scabs and office workers and poo poo caught in fire within hours?

it's going to be that, but for railroads

yea that owned lmao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

that should go in the schadenfreude thread

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
woof

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/s...ingawful.com%2F

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

howie would have provided the sick days

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fyi the house passed the bill with the sick leave amendment a few hours after this, but we'll see what happens in the senate

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

there's no such thing as an illegal strike. that's just slavery.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the history of labor movements consists of strikes being declared illegal over and over

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my unions right to strike was taken away a long time ago and the penalties suck rear end. 2 days pay lost per strike day sucks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the history of labor movements consists of strikes being declared illegal over and over

yeah but all of the other strikes didn't have the same stakes as this one

there's 2 billion dollars/day on the line for the gosh darn economy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

fyi the house passed the bill with the sick leave amendment a few hours after this, but we'll see what happens in the senate

doesn't the amendment need to pass with 100 votes. lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it needs 60 votes and for them to agree or something to even vote on

its setup in a way they knew would most likely fail

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
do not vote for congressional democrats.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

comrade, the capitalists dogs will not go quietly into that good night... viva la revolucion!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

In Training posted:

doesn't the amendment need to pass with 100 votes. lol
It passed 227 to 221.
it's the democrats. Even if a senate version gets the same amendment we'll hear the WH inkpot ombudsman doesn't agree with the bill so Biden can't sign it. Everyone knows the approval of the inkpot ombudsman is needed for any bill that makes it to the president's desk.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gunna vote

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

It passed 227 to 221.
it's the democrats. Even if a senate version gets the same amendment we'll hear the WH inkpot ombudsman doesn't agree with the bill so Biden can't sign it. Everyone knows the approval of the inkpot ombudsman is needed for any bill that makes it to the president's desk.
is an ink pot ombudsman real or did you make that up because I can go either way on this one

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
the democrats are going to be destroyed in 2024

quote:

But in Central Washington, where several counties are majority-Hispanic or -Latino, it’s worth noting that Democrats did not do well, according to early voter data. Political consultant Ben Anderstone has been poring over this data and says some of that outcome is likely to have come from Latino voters.

“There are some variables that we're gonna have to look at, but I do think there's some early signs in Washington that both the Latino and Asian American vote probably did … swing a bit toward the Republicans,” said Anderstone, who crunches numbers like these for Democrats in his job at Progressive Strategies Northwest, including working with the Gutierrez campaign for this election cycle.

Anderstone explained that the swing was pretty dramatic. For instance, in the previous midterm election, in 2018, when Democratic Senator Maria Cantwell was on the ballot, she lost in Yakima County by 16 points. At the time of our interview, Murray was down by 30 points. In Franklin and Pasco counties, both of which have a large Latino electorate, Republican support in the Senate race had swung toward Republicans by 20 points.

“There's still some questions about how much of that was turnout, but my strong guess is not all of it,” Anderstone said. “I think it's pretty obvious that there's probably some Latinos who ended up voting Republican this year.”

The precinct-level data deepens that narrative. East Yakima, the part of Yakima with the highest percentage of Hispanic residents, saw a decrease in votes for both parties compared to the 2018 midterm election, but a far bigger decrease in votes for the Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate at the time: 9 percent versus 42 percent. A similar story happened in majority-Hispanic Pasco and East Pasco: In the Senate race, those precincts saw an 8 percent increase in the Republican vote versus a 46 percent decrease in the Democratic vote.

There is some early evidence that this didn’t happen only in Washington and that some Latino voters are continuing to move to the right. CNN exit polls suggest that _[Republicans had their best year with Latino voters since 2004_](https://www.aei.org/politics-and-public-opinion/house-republicans-improved-their-performance-with-hispanics-but-only-modestly/). The Democratic lead among Latino and Hispanic voters has shrunk by almost half since the previous midterm election.

More data will eventually clarify how exactly the Latino vote broke down, but these early reports suggest that the fight for Latino votes could very well return as a storyline for the 2024 election.

https://crosscut.com/politics/2022/11/podcast-central-wa-latino-voters-shift-rightward-data-suggests

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

It passed 227 to 221.

that adds up to 448 votes with 435 representatives. dems cheating again!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Winifred Madgers posted:

that adds up to 448 votes with 435 representatives. dems cheating again!

I wanted to post a screenshot of that error from the Jacobin article, but lookig back it looks like I'm the dummy and it was my typo or mistake, and it was 221 to 207.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why would Democrats, who are generally pro-labor, try to force an agreement on workers?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

eXXon posted:

Why would Democrats, who are generally pro-labor, try to force an agreement on workers?

syq

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

eXXon posted:

the succ of arguing “but the House passed the sick leave bill!” is just a whole new level of galling since if they didn’t separate it out and dared the Republicans not to pass any agreement without it in the Senate, and it failed, that would be better! literally doing nothing at all would be better! they’re not even actually forcing the GOP to gently caress the rail workers—it is the Dems deliberately and unequivocally doing it using their unchecked power to do so

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

the succ of arguing “but the House passed the sick leave bill!” is just a whole new level of galling since if they didn’t separate it out and dared the Republicans not to pass any agreement without it in the Senate, and it failed, that would be better! literally doing nothing at all would be better! they’re not even actually forcing the GOP to gently caress the rail workers—it is the Dems deliberately and unequivocally doing it using their unchecked power to do so

They're actually being magnanimous and putting country above party

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Why can’t railroads reach an agreement with the unions?

Like many industries recovering from the adverse impact of the pandemic, rail carriers were left with few options for maintaining business levels while dealing with employee shortfalls. Unions complained that, as a result of the labor shortage, carriers mandated that their employees work for long stretches — sometimes spanning weeks at a time — through strict attendance policies.

Industry analysts also say the conflict stems from the focus on lowering expenses like labor costs in the industry’s business model, which has left rail networks with a limited number of ways to work around disruptions like pandemics and natural disasters.

Love to imply that "labor shortage" is some unpredictable and implacable force of nature like pandemics and natural disasters.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

nationalize the railroads

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
we did it everyone! team blue broke the vile workers demands for sick days!

:stoked:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/15...ingawful.com%2F

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Voice of Labor posted:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat trying to play politics with, um, politics... oh

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lmao yeah the dems only cared about breaking the strike. I hope they loving wildcat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Do a railroad strike (in minecraft)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

yeah like everywhere else rural and semi rural the dems abandoned central and eastern WA after the '94 election and haven't bothered since. and that was an extra big deal since it unseated tom foley who was speaker of the house and had been in office for decades. you would think that would have kicked off some sort of introspection and concerted effort to reclaim power but nope! whitman county is the only reliable blue spot left and that's only because of wsu, barely. a random dem probably has a better chance in texas or ohio than anywhere east of the cascades or south of olympia.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

eXXon posted:

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Voice of Labor posted:

yep. put it under the direct control of congress, who can be trusted to do the right thing, at least with democrats in charge.