Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Kit posted:

have they confirmed times for when it's released, or if it's rolling vs a set time based on a certain timezone? Cause mine says "Locked till 12/2/22"

it's timezone-based, steam's unlock puts it at literally midnight in my time zone and my particular zone ain't ever used to benchmark releases like, say, EST is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vermain posted:

it's timezone-based, steam's unlock puts it at literally midnight in my time zone and my particular zone ain't ever used to benchmark releases like, say, EST is

huh, rolling is kinda surprising but I suppose it's a single player game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody up to summarize the audio drama podcast tie-in? I lack the patience for those but I’m still curious.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

I wonder if something like a Terminator type thing in an open world could work. Not literally Terminator (although maybe) but the core concept, you have to find and protect someone or yourself in a small town sized map with full interiors, when you start you don't know what the enemy looks like and you have to equip yourself as best you can without getting into trouble or drawing to much attention. Then once whatever is chasing you makes itself known, you now know what it looks like or it's general approach but things start escalating.

Specifically I'm thinking of Terminator 1 of course, where he has to defend against a killer robot with some pipe bombs and a shotgun, it feels really scrappy and the entire city is dingy as gently caress.

Is the joke that this game already exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnO0ShP56aA

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what kind of maroon forgets the classic 1991 DOS release of the movie tie-in game, The Terminator :rolleyes:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's weird to me that Frictional keeps going back to Amnesia, especially when SOMA was such a success. Were there people clamoring to expand on the deep lore of a naked guy who you defeat by pushing over some pillars?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They can't afford to bring another Simon and Consciousness debate into the world. Some things are best left in the darkness...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

what kind of maroon forgets the classic 1991 DOS release of the movie tie-in game, The Terminator :rolleyes:

I asked because their description was so on point that I couldn't tell if they were just coincidentally describing a niche licensed game or if that was the joke

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished as much as I can find in Signalis. Game good, IMO. I am very glad I played it :3:

Endgame question: I noticed that there's four achievements left, and there's at least one other ending besides Promise. As spoiler-free as possible, what do I need to do to see the other endings and get the other achievements? Just a tiny hint to push me in the right direction now that I'm staring at the post-credits title screen.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Finished as much as I can find in Signalis. Game good, IMO. I am very glad I played it :3:

Endgame question: I noticed that there's four achievements left, and there's at least one other ending besides Promise. As spoiler-free as possible, what do I need to do to see the other endings and get the other achievements? Just a tiny hint to push me in the right direction now that I'm staring at the post-credits title screen.

for endings, play differently or do a scavenger hunt with an arg (you are not finding this one without a guide?.

play on the harder difficulty for at least one achievement

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Play differently"? What, like go really fast or something? Hmm...I wonder how fast I can complete this game now, actually.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

"Play differently"? What, like go really fast or something? Hmm...I wonder how fast I can complete this game now, actually.

It's very hard to go into more detail without just explaining how the systems work. 3 endings are playstyle related and 1 are related to the previous spoiler.

I believe there are no ending specific achievements.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

drat, okay. Is this all something I’d be expected to figure out on my own?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, I gave in to hype and got Callisto Protocol. It seems weird to me that it's the new normal $69.99 price on PS5 but $59.99 on Steam, maybe there's just a new console tax and I haven't bought enough new PC games lately to notice. Anyways, PC seemed like the obvious choice since I have a chance for a refund if it doesn't click.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

that depends. are you an amateur ham radio operator

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

that depends. are you an amateur ham radio operator

I know how radios work, but I was not a major player in the Portal 2 ARG, no. :v:

I’ll catch a video of them!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

1stGear posted:

It's weird to me that Frictional keeps going back to Amnesia, especially when SOMA was such a success. Were there people clamoring to expand on the deep lore of a naked guy who you defeat by pushing over some pillars?

SOMA was a walking sim that was too embarrassed of the title to fully own it, so it's this moody, introspective exploration of consciousness that gets rudely interrupted by slide puzzles and monsters that hit every postprocessor effect in the book when they catch you. it's pulling out all these halloween haunted house tricks to scare you as if the concept of being one of the last humans alive with no hope of recovery isn't already terrifying

i think frictional realized that the far more direct threat of actual monsters and physical terror meshed better with the kind of games they wanted to make, so returning to the amnesia well is natural enough

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Which is a shame because I'd love more existential dread vs boo monster

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Not really

Play Style endings are basicslly 3 scores which each have a variety of ways to make them go up.

The arg ending is decoding sounds into images to find items that have no prompt to pick them up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stormgale posted:

Not really

Play Style endings are basicslly 3 scores which each have a variety of ways to make them go up.

The arg ending is decoding sounds into images to find items that have no prompt to pick them up.

Yeah I figured that was the case. I ended up watching a video instead.

I think it says something about the kind of media I’ve consumed when a game blatantly says outright “this is a time loop you’ve been here before holy poo poo!!!” and I’m just like oh okay sure. Like I saw all the bodies in the elevator shaft and I was like oh loop maybe, cool.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

I asked because their description was so on point that I couldn't tell if they were just coincidentally describing a niche licensed game or if that was the joke

Yeah thatbwas scary accurate lmao also that game owns

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m just at the title screen browsing the settings menu and the PS5 haptic feedback intensity is already ludicrous

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saw some hubbub that the PC port of Callisto apparently runs pretty bad even on a 4090 but I won't be able to test myself till the weekend. Hopefully it's not actually that bad.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Saw some hubbub that the PC port of Callisto apparently runs pretty bad even on a 4090 but I won't be able to test myself till the weekend. Hopefully it's not actually that bad.

I know there was going to be a day 1 patch, I don't know if that covered it though

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
The Callisto Protocol begins now (for me).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Loud and dumb so far, no surprises but the gfx are pretty

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh this game is dumb. Like Evil Within dumb.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No game, not Pathologic, not System Shock, not even it's preceding games has managed to generate the sheer horror and dread that Silent Hill 4: The Room has. Whenever I finish a realm and see the cheevo pop up that says "complete your first trip to X realm" I feel a scream let loose in the back of my skull at the implied "second".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh this game is dumb. Like Evil Within dumb.

Honestly a selling point, in my mind.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly a selling point, in my mind.

Unfortunately it’s not charming or imaginative or campy. It’s just poorly written and busy. Was heartened by the art design at first (who doesn’t love grimy industrial sci fi) but there’s no personality or spirit put behind anything. Say what you will about Dead Space, it was interested in itself.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The embargo on The Callisto Protocol is up as of about half an hour ago, and my review should run on Bloody Disgusting at some point tomorrow.

I'm not really that entertained by it. It feels like it might've gotten a few crucial weeks shaved off its development time, so some major features don't work as well as they need to, the story occasionally takes big leaps, and the mechanics are fiddly.

That said, I'm currently replaying it to compare performance on PS5 vs. Xbox Series X, and I do think I'm having more fun on a second run when I understand it a little better (and now that it's gotten a couple of pre-release patches that seem to have cleaned up some issues I was having).

It's got that Dead Space feel where (spoiler-tagging character build advice, because why not?) you're better off heavily specializing than trying a little of everything, because even on medium difficulty, it's an extremely unforgiving game. If you're like me and you'll buy every gun just to try them out, you end up with this golf bag full of underwhelming equipment right as things get really intense.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

As someone always thirsting for sci fi horror content I really take it personally when a project really whiffs. We only get so much!!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

They certainly have plans for it, I hope it hits with people more than it did reviewers

https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1598458091569569792?t=WZ8fxGqrTeNnvDBwD3z6Rw&s=19

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

No game, not Pathologic, not System Shock, not even it's preceding games has managed to generate the sheer horror and dread that Silent Hill 4: The Room has. Whenever I finish a realm and see the cheevo pop up that says "complete your first trip to X realm" I feel a scream let loose in the back of my skull at the implied "second".

i saw a pretty clever priming trick in this indie RE7 knockoff ABG covered where you get a key after like, 15 minutes into the game and it gives you a "press shift to run" prompt without any actual danger until a while later

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, gonna judge based off one review (gman), but it really seems like dead space, but worse. like so many lovely new aaa features in it, like squeezing in through places or crawling through vents (invisible loading screens). the combat also seems to be pretty monotonous as well, which is sad. oh well, hoping the dead space remake is better.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Man this rhythm game combat… it’s the one thing so far about the game that feels like a bold, risky move, but it’s not super engaging

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They certainly have plans for it, I hope it hits with people more than it did reviewers

https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1598458091569569792?t=WZ8fxGqrTeNnvDBwD3z6Rw&s=19

NG+ seems like a strange thing to wait 2 months to add in.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BisbyWorl posted:

NG+ seems like a strange thing to wait 2 months to add in.

I am currently operating on the theory that they decided to bump this up a couple months to make sure they weren't going directly up against the Dead Space remake.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Wanderer posted:

I am currently operating on the theory that they decided to bump this up a couple months to make sure they weren't going directly up against the Dead Space remake.

Weird situation for Schofield to have to compete against his own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I think I’d give it more grace if it took things just a little bit slower. I’m not asking for Shakespeare here but the characterization and plotting is like a Steven Segal movie (again, without the camp). There aren’t even archetypes employed. I got to the prison after the tutorial, got my spine health HUD, then immediately the place is in shambles and it’s goop city and we’re getting into fights.

What all just happened and why? It’s hard to say. The very first person you run into after being wrongfully imprisoned is like “hey you, we’re a team now, go do this thing” and you’re like “okay, sounds good.” It’s about as deep as that.