Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector Hound posted:

Labyrinth, on Netflix, is just as good as it was when you were 5 or 8, and maybe better now since you'll actually understand what it's about.

I had to buy a Blu ray of Legend, and it is maybe not as good as you remember. So much dubbing, those sets must have been deafeningly loud. Maybe the actors all had terrible lisps. The Meg swamp monster part was still good. Meg is played by *** Robert Picardo *** what on Earth

I'm 45 years old and every time I hear the word Labyrinth I immediately think of two things. The Minotaur and Daedalus from Greek Mythology and then David Bowie's prominent package which terrified me as a child when I saw the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For me Willow and Labyrinth are both clearly better than Legend. Legend does have the Ridley Scott factor with the extremely detailed sets but nowhere near the charm and amount of fun characters that the other two films have.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Apparently Bowie stuffed a bunch of socks down there

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

i heard someone say once that all famous rock stars have tiny dicks, and i think it's probably true

i know for a fact that Trent Reznor does not have a 9 inch nail

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

Ah the good old days where packages had to be enhanced with practical effects, unlike these days where Namor is digitally enhanced.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

Ah the good old days where packages had to be enhanced with practical effects, unlike these days where Namor is digitally enhanced.
Oh that's interesting. I had only seen the original theory that they had digitally removed the bulge and didn't see his explanation that actually the version without the bulge was the original and they had digitally added it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I liked 1889. There’s obviously a ton of stuff that still doesn’t make sense and yeah, the end was goofy as hell, but I loved how the writers just went nuts with it. Dark is my favorite Netflix show so the show runners have amassed a massive amount of good will from me, I’m really looking forward to the next season (assuming there is one?)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just watched Willow last week with my eight year old and it held up just fine. It's sometimes silly and goofy but it has the 80s Dirty Fantasy look, George Lucas's gift for names (Burblecutt?!?!? Queen BAVMORDA?!?!?!? SHERLINDRIA'S WAND?!?!?!?) and has a couple of showstopper sequences such as guys getting boiling oil poured on them, a pretty great body horror transformation scene, the aforementioned Troll-> Gooey Brain-> Two-Headed Dragon Monster pipeline, the Good Guy's Pal dying absolutely horribly, a sorceress duel that devolves into two old ladies punching each other in the face, James Horner's soundtrack tootin' and honkin' as people Do Heroic poo poo, and some smattering of cool stuff like soldiers throwing black ninja stars and a dumb lunk asking Val Kilmer in drag if he "wants to breed?" Is this the greatest movie ever? Not at all. Is it some piece of poo poo that only little kids could enjoy? Absolutely not. In fact, while watching the two-headed dragon/castle courtyard battle scene, I was struck by how much like a well-run 1E D&D adventure it played out. Critical fails, Madmartigan fumbling but still maintaining his momentum (running out into the enemy army in fear, launching himself on a catapult and promptly slamming into a wall, etc), a hostile NPC becoming a sudden PC ally, all that good poo poo. It ain't bad.

My son, predictably, went apeshit. He only wished he could see "more kills" because he's a total loving gorehound.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 1, 2022

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

precision posted:

i heard someone say once that all famous rock stars have tiny dicks, and i think it's probably true

How do you know this?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i often think about d&d rules when I'm watching fantasy stuff lol, its surprising how often it lines up. My buddy and I binge watched buffy and were coming up with the RPG rules for the buffy verse. shows with consistent magic and power levels are great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

How do you know this?

many women have gone on record, it's a known fact

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

i often think about d&d rules when I'm watching fantasy stuff lol, its surprising how often it lines up. My buddy and I binge watched buffy and were coming up with the RPG rules for the buffy verse. shows with consistent magic and power levels are great

Oh I totally get what you're taking about here - and yeah that's fun too - but I was referring more to the vibe. Because D&D is dice-based there's lots of confrontations where characters spend a good amount of time being ineffective, or doing something totally awesome and then immediately klutzing out. Especially with 1E, the rules for doing stuff outside of attacks and casting spells and class stuff were horrible and relied largely on DM fiat; characters who tried to do fun and flashy stuff like Madmartigan would usually just fail or hurt themselves, in my experience. So seeing an action scene where one of the leads overextended himself and messed up a couple of hero moments and the other lead wasted one of his valuable magic items on a fumble and then couldn't solo the big boss was very reminiscent of the narratives that those early D&D systems produced.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That’s how I watch the Conan movies. They have a thief a sorcerer a barbarian and they murder a giant snake it’s a pretty good party comp/ questline

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When I watched Willow as a kid I asked my mom why the body horror stuff happened to the troll and she just shrugged and said "that's what happens when you hit a troll with magic."

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah you need magic to kill a troll everybody knows that. Even if you kill him with a sword you still need to use acid or fire on the corpse or he will respawn. There was a tv or movie property I watched recently where they got this right and I was like YES! At the the tv

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Melf's Acid Arrow, don't fail me now!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Courtney Love tried to check once but got a hard pass.

She did say that Kurt was not well endowed but he was also about 5'6".

Why anyone would care is a mystery. We all know the grand champion is Gene Simmons from KISS but I think he might have had the snip to get those extra inches.

e: and in late streaming news I still think Dead to Me S3 was great but not really about what it's supposed to be about, which is okay. And The Patient is intense and I really like Steve Carell in it, which is a rarity.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 2, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I recall a lot of posting about The Midnight Club and being upset it didn’t wrap anything up like the other single season Flanagan shows. Well, anyway it just got canceled, so that’s it I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

So I recall a lot of posting about The Midnight Club and being upset it didn’t wrap anything up like the other single season Flanagan shows. Well, anyway it just got canceled, so that’s it I guess.

He did promise to explain the loose ends on twitter if this happened

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Severely disappointed there was no street racing in The Midnight Club.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Did anything good come out on any streaming service this month? The hbo max lineup is dogshit every month now

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Comedians, even bad ones, doing dramatic roles is almost always interesting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Did anything good come out on any streaming service this month? The hbo max lineup is dogshit every month now

Glass Onion and Bullet Train are on Netflix in the next few weeks.

Edit: Actually, Bullet Train comes out SATURDAY.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 2, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

She did say that Kurt was not well endowed but he was also about 5'6".

As a gay man, in my experience, twinks and pocket gays often have big dicks

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

As a gay man, in my experience, twinks and pocket gays often have big dicks

Fair. She's not exactly the must trustworthy source on anything.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The White Lotus season 2 is really great.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

Maybe better than season 1, which is hard to beat. We'll see by the finale.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sick can’t wait to watch it. Is it good as it goes or will it be better to watch all at once ?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Inspector Hound posted:

I was incredibly disappointed with Chris Rock in Fargo S4. I was excited to see him in the mob boss role and he was terrible.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A MIRACLE posted:

Sick can’t wait to watch it. Is it good as it goes or will it be better to watch all at once ?

I would say it's designed to watch week by week. Every episode leaves me demanding more of it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I thought 1899 completely poo poo the bed in the second half of the season.

You can’t simultaneously tell me everything is a simulation that is about to reset so nothing matters but also expect me to be emotionally invested in dramatic scenes s of simulation characters “dying”.

Also, sucks to draw the short straw before entering the simulation and having to be the main character in the rape storyline. Like, what the gently caress?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I think that depends on how you prefer to watch things, but a lot of the fun has been reacting with friends and the online community to each episode each week. There are just 2 episodes left I think, so you can easily catch up and join in on the fun.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

I thought 1899 completely poo poo the bed in the second half of the season.

You can’t simultaneously tell me everything is a simulation that is about to reset so nothing matters but also expect me to be emotionally invested in dramatic scenes s of simulation characters “dying”.

A simulation with the fidelity of reality is just as real as reality. Eg if you created a dog with a simulated dog brain that is behaviourally indistinguishable from a real dog, then kicked it, you would be a piece of poo poo dog kicker.

I guess it depends how the fiction depicts simulated beings, but just saying it's not as simple as simulated=fake.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 2, 2022

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Willow and am looking forward to more.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

10 Beers posted:

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Willow and am looking forward to more.

Yeah we watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. Seems like a pretty good young cast, and the first ep at least did a good job of matching the sometimes scary, sometimes lighthearted tone of the movie.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It was really good and I'm gonna watch it again if that helps influence getting additional seasons.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Note: does not apply to Vince Vaughan in true detective

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Glottis posted:

Yeah but how big is its dick

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

Yeah but how big is its dick

Pretty dang big in one scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enos Cabell posted:

Pretty dang big in one scene

I think White Lotus is legitimately my new favorite series now that it's 2 for 2