Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jaegerx posted:

Not to be anti mod here but the fact that most of the world cup apps by qatar are basically invading all your privacy so the world cup is kinda a topic.

World cup... Apps?

What on earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There are two – one is a mandatory Covid-19 tracing app, the other is possibly mandatory for visitors from abroad. Both have insane levels of tracking and permissions.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

KozmoNaut posted:

There are two – one is a mandatory Covid-19 tracing app, the other is possibly mandatory for visitors from abroad. Both have insane levels of tracking and permissions.

Insane? They’re reading txt messages and poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Insane? They’re reading txt messages and poo poo.

Pretty sure that's what they mean by "insane".....

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pretty sure that's what they mean by "insane".....

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/11/20/eu-warns-against-downloading-qatar-world-cup-apps

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yes?!?! We know??

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes?!?! We know??

No need to get angry just because you don't understand

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:munch:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

hachyderm.io
ye

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Do any of you who have to deal with DoD 8140 compliance know if you have to keep the cert current to maintain the compliance? For example my sec+ renewal comes up december of next year, do I lose 8140 compliance if I let it lapse? I get the feeling it does, just checking though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Defenestrategy posted:

Do any of you who have to deal with DoD 8140 compliance know if you have to keep the cert current to maintain the compliance? For example my sec+ renewal comes up december of next year, do I lose 8140 compliance if I let it lapse? I get the feeling it does, just checking though.

If it was a requirement to get the job it might be a requirement to keep the job.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e: found a better thread. sorry for the interruption!

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 28, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

If it was a requirement to get the job it might be a requirement to keep the job.

This. I wouldn't let it lapse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel like this is something you should be asking the lawyer your company has since you deal with government contracts.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Might be worth your time and have a good ROI to get one of the certifications that automatically renew your Sec+ instead of taking it again. CySA+ and Pentest+ both renew Sec+, Net+, and A+ when you get it, so, depending on your interests and what other certs you might have, I’d do one of those instead of chewing old soup.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Have they talked about the details of twitters coming encrypted DMs? Proper E2E or…?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

AlternateAccount posted:

Have they talked about the details of twitters coming encrypted DMs? Proper E2E or…?

End-to-Elon encryption

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

End-to-Elon encryption

New thread title, please.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

AlternateAccount posted:

“just vibes”

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s never implemented due to not having the engineering capacity to add it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

navyjack posted:

Might be worth your time and have a good ROI to get one of the certifications that automatically renew your Sec+ instead of taking it again. CySA+ and Pentest+ both renew Sec+, Net+, and A+ when you get it, so, depending on your interests and what other certs you might have, I’d do one of those instead of chewing old soup.

You might be right that this is the year to get the pen+.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlternateAccount posted:

I was adjacent to the team that built E2E and disappearing mode for FB Messenger and it was a lot of work—and we already owned WhatsApp to ask questions of. If you want it to work with multiple client devices you have to make some tricky choices around key management. Plus the abuse stuff, since you still want people to be able to report abusive messages that are encrypted, and you want to make sure that the message they report is actually what was sent.

I hear that an early attempt at doing Signal-style E2E at Twitter fell part because Moxie (who was advising) went on a long untraceable sailing vacation and while it was stalled various political forces killed it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Subjunctive posted:

I was adjacent to the team that built E2E and disappearing mode for FB Messenger and it was a lot of work—and we already owned WhatsApp to ask questions of. If you want it to work with multiple client devices you have to make some tricky choices around key management. Plus the abuse stuff, since you still want people to be able to report abusive messages that are encrypted, and you want to make sure that the message they report is actually what was sent.

I hear that an early attempt at doing Signal-style E2E at Twitter fell part because Moxie (who was advising) went on a long untraceable sailing vacation and while it was stalled various political forces killed it.

Lol.

Yeah e2ee runs headlong into "password resets and lost devices are a thing". You can either have a secure messaging service or you can shoot for a billion users with the pudding-brains of your average journalist. You can hold their keys, or you can do like (many? most?) every other service and outsource the secure key storage and recovery to icloud/gdrive, but ultimately somebody's changing user nappies and can access their poo poo.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Have any of you done OSWE for a web app pentesting cert? Based on the work I'm doing these days (working for a web-facing software company) OSWE might be more relevant than OSCP, although probably a fair amount more challenging as well. I am comfortable writing and reading source code to a degree (mainly Python and Perl) but am coming from a sysadmin background, not software engineering.

I really want to give an OS cert a go this year, and the fact theyre on sale right now might be enough to push me over the edge. I am pretty confident I could pass OSCP with some practice, I have done a bunch of vulnhub boxes before and had my GCIH (now expired) up until this fall. I think I'd get a lot out of OSCP still, and its been one of my goals for a long time, but OSWE has my interest as well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Harik posted:

You can hold their keys, or you can do like (many? most?) every other service and outsource the secure key storage and recovery to icloud/gdrive, but ultimately somebody's changing user nappies and can access their poo poo.

Yeah blegh any third party in possession of keys defeats the purpose.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they don’t have to have access to the keys to the messages, even if they have access to the keys to the account, given PFS. it means you can’t fill in a conversation on a device from before it joined, but it also means that you don’t have to worry about your message history being retroactively owned because someone shuffled your SIM

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Subjunctive posted:

they don’t have to have access to the keys to the messages, even if they have access to the keys to the account, given PFS. it means you can’t fill in a conversation on a device from before it joined, but it also means that you don’t have to worry about your message history being retroactively owned because someone shuffled your SIM

pfs requires individual device keys and multi-recipient messages which is fine for apps but where do you store that device key for the website? There's no great answer there - create a new device key automatically trusted by all your contacts because someone knew your twitter password? Require everybody to re-verify your ID if you login from a internet cafe when traveling?

The security posture of a messaging system robust against hostile state actors strongly conflicts with people who just want to DM their friends. Losing your message history is a nonstarter for a lot of people. There's important poo poo in there - invites, dates, reminders - that normal people will flip their poo poo at losing for incomprehensible "security" reasons.

E: and that's not even getting into next-of-kin problems. People want wildly different things to happen to their social media when they pass. A queer teen who's not 'out' to their parents doesn't want them to get their DMs and harass their friends, but a husband may want his wife to be able to notify his contacts that he's gone. These are completely incompatible needs, pick which one gets your support and which gets told to pound sand.

Harik fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 30, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Gang, at my last gig we used intruder and really like the simplicity UI that was wrapped around what is essentially nessus run on my client machines and could be ran unlimited times. I'd like to get a similar functionality and they do have a cheaper service ($858\mo vs $577\mo) running on OpenVAS (any feedback?) but max user count is two users which is really limiting.

Open to suggestions for a comparable solution?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harik posted:

E: and that's not even getting into next-of-kin problems. People want wildly different things to happen to their social media when they pass. A queer teen who's not 'out' to their parents doesn't want them to get their DMs and harass their friends, but a husband may want his wife to be able to notify his contacts that he's gone. These are completely incompatible needs, pick which one gets your support and which gets told to pound sand.

yeah, different companies have different practices here. I believe that my “legacy contact” on FB gets to see my friend list and post as me, but doesn’t see any private messages

your web page can broker to your mobile device for key and crypto management, which I think is what WhatsApp used to do at least. you can also require 2FA in order to issue a key, but again the stakes are lower in the presence of PFS because you only have the window under detection/remediation that’s at risk, rather than your entire previous history of platform usage. if private data breaches only revealed the new data generated while the attacker had live access, they would be a lot less harmful!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If I want to dip my feet into RFID card/fob cloning, where do I go? 300EUR for a Proxmark v3 is a little out of my snack bracket.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

bolind posted:

If I want to dip my feet into RFID card/fob cloning, where do I go? 300EUR for a Proxmark v3 is a little out of my snack bracket.

https://dangerousthings.com/product/proxmark3-easy/

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Or 75 eurobux: https://www.digitalkey.it/en/sensor-readers-rfid/144-proxmark3-v3-easy-512m-kit-nfc-rfid-5-tag-di-test-793596617942.html

Thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're looking for something more portable the Flipper Zero has been coming in stock on their US store intermittently as well. Probably less capable than the Proxmark stuff but the first thing I did when mine arrived the other day was clone the RFID tag for my apartment gym. Definitely more expensive, but it also does other things with short range radio and IR.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I have had both a Flipper Zero and a proxmark 3 easy. The Flipper Zero is sort of a neat toy but it’s really bad at doing the things it’s advertised at doing. The RFID specifically is incredibly hit or miss.

Unless you are looking at T5577 type stuff exclusively I would save your money on the flipper and just go with a proxmark (which has been able to handle any 125khz and NFC stuff I’ve thrown at it)

That said the bad usb and IR stuff is kind of handy to have with the Flipper. I was a kickstart backer and ended up selling mine for $500 when they were in super high demand. I don’t regret that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Yes, absolutely. The flipper is a toy. The "pentest tool" parts are trying to get people to justify buying the fun nerd toy. It is in no way comparable to proper tools.

If you get a flipper expecting it to be more useful than a proxmark you're gonna be really sad at the end of the day. The fact that something _could_ be used on an engagement does not mean that t _should_ be so used.

I kickstarted it too and while I didn't sell it, hearing people recommend it for...anything professional, really, gets a big "oh come onnnnnnn" response from me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Achmed Jones posted:

Yes, absolutely. The flipper is a toy. The "pentest tool" parts are trying to get people to justify buying the fun nerd toy. It is in no way comparable to proper tools.

If you get a flipper expecting it to be more useful than a proxmark you're gonna be really sad at the end of the day. The fact that something _could_ be used on an engagement does not mean that t _should_ be so used.

I kickstarted it too and while I didn't sell it, hearing people recommend it for...anything professional, really, gets a big "oh come onnnnnnn" response from me.

Professionally hand it to the new intern and tell him to use it. If he succeeds then he passes, if he fails but knows why he failed, he passes. If he tries, fails and attempts to baffle with bullshit, see if he's good enough at that to go into sales?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It's a fun toy to be sure. But yeah a Proxmark will beat it's rear end any day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If he tries, fails and attempts to baffle with bullshit, you will be responsible for the lies they've spun to management as they ride off into the sunset with a commission

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What ever happened to sip/stir wasnt that supppsed to kill off scam callers? Am i misremembering something?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think that was the intention, but carrier adoption has been really slow from what I recall and they keep extending the deadline for when it needs to go into effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Last week or the week before they bounced a carrier for not complying. I forget the name of the carrier; it was something bland like World Global Communications of Western North Carolina.