Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like The Matrix was one of the last really big things from a time when there simply wasn't as much pop culture or as many media networks--so anything that got huge was memed to death, in an era before "meme" was a household word. There must have been 20 movies that parodied the scene where Trinity jump-kicks the cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

kiimo posted:

Not true actually.

He's doing a slight Brooklyn accent and you'll understand if you see it.

They should have showed that in the trailer, then.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Waterboy is a great movie and not bad in any sense of the word. Henry Winkler, Kathy Bates, Fairuza Balk, all dynamite. I rewatched it recently for the first time since I was 11 years old and was afraid it wouldn’t hold up. But it did. Shrek’s good too, I guess.

Little Nicky is real bad though, I do not recommend rewatching that one.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I still love Little Nicky :(

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It has its moments, particularly anything with Rhys Ifans, but The Waterboy was the end of the Sandler golden era and Little Nicky was the beginning of the Sandler lovely low effort comedy era.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

They should have showed that in the trailer, then.

"they" did ;)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Chris Knight posted:

Do you like the 1980 hit Funkytown?

I do, and I also like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wizardofloneliness posted:

Little Nicky is real bad though, I do not recommend rewatching that one.

The second he talked I noped out of it back when it first came out and I’ve never regretted that decision.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Shrek is the only thing we've done right as a species. Maybe include bionicle too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

worms butthole guy posted:

I still love Little Nicky :(

It's my favorite Quentin Tarantino movie!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I just showed Waterboy to my son and he thought it was hilarious.

“Well, basically a snake don’t have parts. But if I had to call it anything, uh, I would say it’s his knee.”

I remember being so pumped for Little Nicky and going to the cinema and just feeling embarrassed.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
Nap Ghost

wizardofloneliness posted:

It has its moments, particularly anything with Rhys Ifans, but The Waterboy was the end of the Sandler golden era and Little Nicky was the beginning of the Sandler lovely low effort comedy era.

:hmmyes:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Little Nicky was on the cusp of "barely acceptable" when I watched it. I was still young enough to find really dumb, broad comedy funny so I enjoyed it but even as a kid I knew something was "off" compared to the other Sandler movies. It just felt cheap and lazy, and the corporate sponsorship was more glaring than it'd ever been... "Popeye's Chicken is freakin' awesome!", etc.

Every Sandler movie after that, I could tell just from the trailers that they were barely-watchable garbage. And of course I'm not talking about "movies that Adam Sandler was in", because those range from extremely good (Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems) to probably fine (Funny People, etc). I mean specifically movies that he wrote, produced, directed and starred in.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
GET IN THE FLASK

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Little Nicky was on the cusp of "barely acceptable" when I watched it. I was still young enough to find really dumb, broad comedy funny so I enjoyed it but even as a kid I knew something was "off" compared to the other Sandler movies. It just felt cheap and lazy, and the corporate sponsorship was more glaring than it'd ever been... "Popeye's Chicken is freakin' awesome!", etc.

Every Sandler movie after that, I could tell just from the trailers that they were barely-watchable garbage. And of course I'm not talking about "movies that Adam Sandler was in", because those range from extremely good (Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems) to probably fine (Funny People, etc). I mean specifically movies that he wrote, produced, directed and starred in.

Yeah, other than a few movies that stick out like a sore thumb because their quality is so wildly out of line with his usual standard, you're not missing a whole lot. That said, I respect the hustle in getting his buddies paid holidays. He'd probably be a great friend to have around just for that.

I do have fond memories of The Wedding Singer and The Waterboy though, and seeing D'Angelo Barksdale punt a Klansman's head is never not funny.

Also, never cared for Shrek. I saw it 20 years ago, I thought it was boring, tacky shite then, and little has happened to make me reassess my opinion of it now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I remember liking Click a whole lot, but it's been ages since I've seen it and I have no idea if it holds up or not.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I thought Joe Dirt was one of the funniest films I had ever seen until I watched it again and remembered I was ripped on hash brownies the first time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I tried watching Dude Where's My Car while high and only got really bored.

I loved it while sober though.

Maybe cannabis isn't the drug for me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Firefly reboot lookin neat

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

What's that movie? Is it just that lady walking around in a light grey void for 90 minutes?

Seems weird, but you do you movie, I guess?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dr_rat posted:

What's that movie? Is it just that lady walking around in a light grey void for 90 minutes?

It's a suspense thriller where she very slowly walks toward that wall in front of her and we get scared she'll walk into it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dr_rat posted:

It’s about a lady in a white coat who ate some bad chipotle

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
one of these days goons won't get so confused by a teaser poster meant to be part of a set

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Confusion intensifies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lobok posted:

It's a suspense thriller where she very slowly walks toward that wall in front of her and we get scared she'll walk into it.

I'll be honest I'd watch that. Like not 90 minutes of it, but like there's been enough times in life I've had to walk forwards in pitch black rooms trying to find a light switch, that that would definitely be someone stuck in a situation I could very much emphasizes with.

flatluigi posted:

one of these days goons won't get so confused by a teaser poster meant to be part of a set

No. We always shall, as it's the right thing to do. :colbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Shin-Kamen Rider, directed by Hideaki Anno.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

So Anno has now gotten to make Cutie Honey, Godzilla, Ultraman and Kamen Rider, what’s left for him? Will they let him make Thunderbirds? Or a Star Trek?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shin-Tetsujin 28

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DC Murderverse posted:

So Anno has now gotten to make Cutie Honey, Godzilla, Ultraman and Kamen Rider, what’s left for him? Will they let him make Thunderbirds? Or a Star Trek?

I mean he's done Kamen Rider and Ultraman, he needs to complete the tokusatsu trilogy and do Shin Gorenger.

Letting him do western 'toku' would be fun though. Shin Star Trek would be a wild experience.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

edogawa rando posted:

Shin-Tetsujin 28

Gonna be honest I feel like he’s probably gonna be sick of giant robots for a while after Rebuild took so drat long

Now, regular sized humanoid robots on the other hand would be new. Shin Astro Boy?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

thunderbirds is probably what he wants, but I imagine both him and I would be happy with UFO.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

King Vidiot posted:

Smashmouth, though, is objectively bad. Maybe it's guilt by association.

Smash Mouth is good. That particular cover of a bad song is bad, although better than the original.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Confusion intensifies.

How? The text on the poster explains the whole premise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5RihzuPeQ

DC Murderverse posted:

Gundam would be the obvious one, but Gundam has been reinvented so many times there's a lot less room for a Shin Gundam to make a big impact

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 3, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That trailer actually looks pretty cool, I love shin godzilla and even though I've still never watched Eva I'll definitely track this down when it's out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DC Murderverse posted:

Gonna be honest I feel like he’s probably gonna be sick of giant robots for a while after Rebuild took so drat long

Now, regular sized humanoid robots on the other hand would be new. Shin Astro Boy?

Anno never struck me as a Tezuka fan, tbh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is the second Shin Kamen Rider.

There was a unrelated Shin Kamen Rider in the 90s that kicks rear end.

The Rider in that is basically a were-bugmonster complete with painful looking transformation sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2-cTSAJlw

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is the second Shin Kamen Rider.

There was a unrelated Shin Kamen Rider in the 90s that kicks rear end.

The Rider in that is basically a were-bugmonster complete with painful looking transformation sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2-cTSAJlw

That's pretty cool. Very Guyver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I hear Anno has been working on a movie of the comics of Jeff Smith. He's going to call it