Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

credburn posted:

It's an altered image that was already referencing Discworld and the Thieves' Guild, is what I mean.

I kinda feel like that one is unedited, the pixels all look right and stuff

Its also hilariously stolen, thats the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

credburn posted:

It's an altered image that was already referencing Discworld and the Thieves' Guild, is what I mean.

yeah, so? that's like 100% the entire point of it. what would you prefer it to be, just a plain white square with black text that says ":geno: i have copied this meme and posted it on other websites without attribution :geno:"? i really don't get what point you're trying to make about this meme

RFC2324 posted:

I kinda feel like that one is unedited, the pixels all look right and stuff

it's an edit of an existing bit of discworld merch

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DontMockMySmock posted:

yeah, so? that's like 100% the entire point of it. what would you prefer it to be, just a plain white square with black text that says ":geno: i have copied this meme and posted it on other websites without attribution :geno:"? i really don't get what point you're trying to make about this meme

I guess what I find annoying about it is that if you were the one who edited the image and posted it, then whatever. It's like if we were hanging out in person and you made a pun or quip or something. But then let's say every loving place I go I see people making the same quip. For decades.

I've "created" a meme as a visual representation of what I'm annoyed about

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I would imagine that memes make up almost the entirety of recorded human humor at this point. By volume at least

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Memes are the worst.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate assembling or dissembling drum kits in general, but the absolute worst is when you drop a nut or a felt from a cymbal stand and it disappears deep into the bowels of the kit. Even worse if this happens on stage / other darkened environment.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

...and I've just realised that's what the Discworld location of Sator Square is referring to.

(I like to think of myself like a star: not really dim, just far away)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

credburn posted:

I guess what I find annoying about it is that if you were the one who edited the image and posted it, then whatever. It's like if we were hanging out in person and you made a pun or quip or something. But then let's say every loving place I go I see people making the same quip. For decades.

I've "created" a meme as a visual representation of what I'm annoyed about

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Terry the fat shark is my pet peeve

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

RFC2324 posted:

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

Same

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

As an Australian, I believe I would appreciate the Terry meme more if it was deep-fried.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Elissimpark posted:

As an Australian, I believe I would appreciate the Terry meme more if it was deep-fried.

Served with chips, and may god have mercy on your soul if you call them fries. Vinegar mandatory.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Terry would understand how good he’d taste

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It really irks me when people write Brittany Spears. Like she's been a known name for almost 25 years. It's not that hard to write Britney. Even if you don't like her or her music you've surely seen the name in written form by now.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Brithney Spearse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

????????????????????

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The worst part of a cold isn't the runny nose, or the sneezy nose or even really the goopy snotty nose, though that's disgusting to be sure. It's the nose that's pretty much 100% clear and you're all done but, well, it just plugs up entirely for a bit. Maybe just before a tasty meal, or a nice cup of coffee. Pretty much just before something you were hoping to enjoy tasting since you're not loving eating-toast-sick anymore. We're done, drat it! Let me breathe!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

The worst part of a cold isn't the runny nose, or the sneezy nose or even really the goopy snotty nose, though that's disgusting to be sure. It's the nose that's pretty much 100% clear and you're all done but, well, it just plugs up entirely for a bit. Maybe just before a tasty meal, or a nice cup of coffee. Pretty much just before something you were hoping to enjoy tasting since you're not loving eating-toast-sick anymore. We're done, drat it! Let me breathe!

Now imagine having sleep apnea and a cpap mask that only goes over your nose.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

It really irks me when people write Brittany Spears. Like she's been a known name for almost 25 years. It's not that hard to write Britney. Even if you don't like her or her music you've surely seen the name in written form by now.

I feel this way when people write Mastadon and Greenday, particularly the latter because how did people decide their name was one word?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Green Day is archaic. It was Green-day for a while but in modern convention the hyphen is dropped entirely. One day we shall celebrate the works of the bard Grendy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lobsterminator posted:

I think I would have written it correctly if I wrote it down without seeing how you wrote it first? But it did occur to me that while her name has been well known for all this time, and sure I've seen her name written down again and again, but I never really registered how it might be spelled differently than any other Brittney... Brittany...

I used to find it moderately annoying there's an accent on the second e in Beyoncé's name that seems to be just for decoration, but then I started to think of how many loving umlauts are added to band names that also are purely decorative. When I changed my name I added an umlaut to my middle name just for fun.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don’t know what the time limit should be, but honking your horn loudly several times to let someone know you’ve arrived should not be happening after midnight

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My wive's grandma (grand-mother-in-law?) once asked very earnestly why, since you didn't say the e in "once", it wasn't pronounced "Bee-Yons".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I think I would have written it correctly if I wrote it down without seeing how you wrote it first? But it did occur to me that while her name has been well known for all this time, and sure I've seen her name written down again and again, but I never really registered how it might be spelled differently than any other Brittney... Brittany...

I used to find it moderately annoying there's an accent on the second e in Beyoncé's name that seems to be just for decoration, but then I started to think of how many loving umlauts are added to band names that also are purely decorative. When I changed my name I added an umlaut to my middle name just for fun.

The accent in Beyoncé isn't for decoration though? That's the giveaway that her name is pronounced the way it is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I thought the little accent was meant to move the stressed syllable to the last, instead of second-to-last.

Wait, maybe it was Raven Symoné's name that annoyed me.

New pet peeve: when I make a super low-effort joke and someone has the loving audacity to accuse me of "stealing" it instead of making it up on my own. In this case it was a ms paint picture I did of Putin surfing on a Ritz cracker. You know, Putin on a Ritz. It's not a complex joke. It's the sort of pun a loving cat could come up with.

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Dec 2, 2022

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Did you just steal my cat's famous "putin on the ritz" joke? What the gently caress???

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Dec 2, 2022

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

docbeard posted:

Now imagine having sleep apnea and a cpap mask that only goes over your nose.

Yeah, that's making allergies REAL fun for me right now. Still debating if I should have insisted on a full nose/face mask since I barely breathe through my nose normally and I wind up struggling to adjust my breathing to the mask when I first lay down. Can't even use the CPAP right when I lay down because I'm still breathing too fast to deal with the switch, have to lie there and slow heartbeat/breathing down before I can tolerate putting the mask on. At least once I actually get to sleep I'm fine, certainly better than I was pre-CPAP.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

This is so on the nose I feel like maybe I did steal the joke from your cat.

Definitely deserves more than one like, at least.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

I thought the little accent was meant to move the stressed syllable to the last, instead of second-to-last.

that's how it works in Spanish but in French and in some French-origin loan words in English (such as "fiancé" and "née") it indicates that the vowel is pronounced the way it is.

My peeve of the day: customers who stand halfway down the aisle from me while I'm working with my back to them and if they need help they say hey hey hey hey hey hey hey without ever approaching me. I barely can hear them and i tune out the dozens of private conversations people are having around me so please indicate that you are speaking to me. I am a human person even though i work a retail job; you can address me like a real person. Don't just snap or whistle or go hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey i am not a loving dog.

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Dec 2, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

InediblePenguin posted:

that's how it works in Spanish but in French and in some French-origin loan words in English (such as "fiancé" and "née") it indicates that the vowel is pronounced the way it is.

It's interesting you use the example of fiancé, as that word in my head rhymes with how I expect Beyoncé to sound. Which then got me thinking, wait am I even pronouncing fiancé correctly? And that led me to the Cambridge dictionary which says fiancé is pronounced differently in the US and the UK, the US version being how I would pronounce it (and how I would pronounce Beyoncé if I had never heard the name) but that's actually the inverse of the US/UK pronunciation example on the website.

Anyway, this made me laugh for some reason:

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

InediblePenguin posted:

My peeve of the day: customers who stand halfway down the aisle from me while I'm working with my back to them and if they need help they say hey hey hey hey hey hey hey without ever approaching me. I barely can hear them and i tune out the dozens of private conversations people are having around me so please indicate that you are speaking to me. I am a human person even though i work a retail job; you can address me like a real person. Don't just snap or whistle or go hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey i am not a loving dog.

Last week I was crouched down facing a shelf and counting inventory when a customer walked up right behind me and started asking where something was in a loud voice, he didn't get that far in the question because I heard a sudden voice VERY close behind me so I automatically jumped and yelped. He apologized, but holy poo poo there was no indication I knew he was there, get my attention first dude.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, that's making allergies REAL fun for me right now. Still debating if I should have insisted on a full nose/face mask since I barely breathe through my nose normally and I wind up struggling to adjust my breathing to the mask when I first lay down. Can't even use the CPAP right when I lay down because I'm still breathing too fast to deal with the switch, have to lie there and slow heartbeat/breathing down before I can tolerate putting the mask on. At least once I actually get to sleep I'm fine, certainly better than I was pre-CPAP.

Ugh yeah it's been a number of years since I started, but that all sounds familiar. You do get much more used to it with time though. (Word of advice, get a backup mask if you can. Going without for a few days after you are accustomed to it is hell)

I've been tempted by a full face mask ever since I used one during a hospital stay.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

It's interesting you use the example of fiancé, as that word in my head rhymes with how I expect Beyoncé to sound. Which then got me thinking, wait am I even pronouncing fiancé correctly? And that led me to the Cambridge dictionary which says fiancé is pronounced differently in the US and the UK, the US version being how I would pronounce it (and how I would pronounce Beyoncé if I had never heard the name) but that's actually the inverse of the US/UK pronunciation example on the website.

Anyway, this made me laugh for some reason:

You of course pronounce it like "finance" but without the first N. Because you don't want sound like some frenchman!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Beyoncé is pronounced like how British people say fiancé. At least that's how she calls herself.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I live with my parents at the moment (finally got a decent job so starting to save up for a place of my own) but it’s not bad because we get along and help each other out. The Peeve is whenever they have my sister visit overnight. She and her Husband will stay up till 12 at least, opening and closing the front door because she needs to smoke. So it’s hard to get to sleep. Then I also get woken up incredibly early because since they go to sleep so late they sleep through their kids waking up at 5am jumping all over the guest bedroom, which of course is right above my bedroom.

They sleep in super late and I’m positive it’s because they just assume my parents will take care of the kids while they sleep (which is what happens of course).

Getting my own place and never having to have them over will be amazing. This isn’t me being anti-kid. As my brothers kids are totally fine to have over, because they well, parent.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Black Stones posted:

Then I also get woken up incredibly early because since they go to sleep so late they sleep through their kids waking up at 5am jumping all over the guest bedroom, which of course is right above my bedroom.

Are you expecting them to get up at 5am just because their kids do? Small kids often wake up super early, and it's pretty common for parents to just let them get up and watch TV or play or whatever on their own, because no normal adult wants to get up that early.

Also, "so late" being midnight. :roflolmao:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

needy, narcissistic people
obsessive weirdos with protagonist syndrome
paranoid lunatics with extreme views on everything

just crazy people in general. i do not like crazy people

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shibawanko posted:

just crazy people in general. i do not like crazy people

This is extremely lovely

And remember, lots of crazy people with buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Whomever was in charge of digitizing the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps from 1892: I wish you'd brushed off that bug or clump or whatever from the scanner before you started. Literally hundreds of scanned map documents and each one has a weird-shaped smudge in the middle.