Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think I’d give it more grace if it took things just a little bit slower.

That is something that's been bugging me about Chapter 1 & 2 of Callisto Protocol:

Everything at Black Iron seems fine when Jacob arrives, but then he wakes up in his cell and it's a zombie outbreak plus a prison riot plus enough structural damage that half the place is actively destabilized. The timeline suggests Jacob's been out for hours, if that, but the environment design looks more like it's been at least a couple bad days.

It's part of what I meant when I said the story takes "big leaps." The details are coherent enough, but a bunch of the set dressing is rushed or low-detail or quickly abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Combat system sucks.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Oof, extremely glad I held off on buying Callisto Protocol and waiting for reviews. My friend got it on PC, 4090, and it runs like garbage. Don't think my 2080TI would handle it any better. Watching him and the emphasis on melee combat also is not up my alley. Think I'll save my cash for the Dead Space remake.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Has the day 1 patch been released? The early reviews were prepatched but sucks if the technical issues persist.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wanderer posted:

That is something that's been bugging me about Chapter 1 & 2 of Callisto Protocol:

Everything at Black Iron seems fine when Jacob arrives, but then he wakes up in his cell and it's a zombie outbreak plus a prison riot plus enough structural damage that half the place is actively destabilized. The timeline suggests Jacob's been out for hours, if that, but the environment design looks more like it's been at least a couple bad days.

It's part of what I meant when I said the story takes "big leaps." The details are coherent enough, but a bunch of the set dressing is rushed or low-detail or quickly abandoned.

Yeah, if anything it has the feel of DOOM 3 without that game’s initial slow roll. 0 sense of place or setting or even spatial function / coherence, as though people don’t seek out sci fi horror specifically for those things. It’s like the anti-Prey. I’m going to a cell tower now, I don’t know where it is or what its function is but I’m told I should go there and so I am.

It isn’t without its bright spots, though. The sound design is really quite good, both in the foley work upon which body horror lives or dies, and in the environmental sound design. There are typical whatever jump scares, but what got me and what I enjoyed are just littler things, like someone unseen whispering your name in a hallway, or directional sounds when you’re waiting for a door to open.

I wish that stuff had been implemented in a way that served a sense of atmosphere, but there’s not enough setting or character to build atmosphere around. It’s all just window dressing for combat and level design that… well, I have to imagine someone dared the art team to render a cornucopia of absolutely nasty toilets. Because you’re going to see a lot of them. It’s that kind of game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

al-azad posted:

Has the day 1 patch been released? The early reviews were prepatched but sucks if the technical issues persist.

I got the patch, or at least a big patch, on PS5 this morning.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Disappionting as hell but I can't be that miffed with Signalis, Tormented Souls, Fobia and Song of Horror being released recent-ish.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wanderer posted:

sad, I often feel that the first calm part is the most important for horror atmosphere

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

At this point I’d think it safe to say that CP is way more of a squib-heavy action game than it a horror game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm not terribly suprised if Callisto ends up being very average. I had my doubts from the trailers a while ago.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
That was bothering me too, a couple scenes to introduce you to the prison and to meet some people would have made the place falling apart have more impact.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
poo poo I forgot Them And Us (terrible name but a sweet game) and Nightmare of Decay. I have yet to try Eternal Evil but I have heard okay things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1stGear posted:

It's weird to me that Frictional keeps going back to Amnesia, especially when SOMA was such a success. Were there people clamoring to expand on the deep lore of a naked guy who you defeat by pushing over some pillars?

Soma didn’t sell all that well actually although I’m sure it’s moved plenty of copies over the years via word of mouth. Amnesia has way more mainstream awareness.

https://nordicgame.com/frictional-games-soma-six-months-later/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s a shame CP is not blowing everyone’s socks off. I was so stoked to buy it tomorrow. I’ll probably still get it tbh, but Some if the wind has been let out of my sails for sure.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

unpurposed posted:

Oof, extremely glad I held off on buying Callisto Protocol and waiting for reviews. My friend got it on PC, 4090, and it runs like garbage. Don't think my 2080TI would handle it any better. Watching him and the emphasis on melee combat also is not up my alley. Think I'll save my cash for the Dead Space remake.

I'm on a 3070, performance is mixed. There's some significant hitching when loading in new areas but once it's loaded in everything more or less runs smoothly. That's with ray tracing turned off completely, maybe it would be less of an issue if I'd installed to SSD instead of HDD.

veni veni veni posted:

It’s a shame CP is not blowing everyone’s socks off. I was so stoked to buy it tomorrow. I’ll probably still get it tbh, but Some if the wind has been let out of my sails for sure.

Bummed about the middling reviews (Gamespot giving it a 5/10 isn't promising) but I've been anticipating it long enough that I'll play it anyway. If it turns out to be a disappointment there's always the insurance policy of the Dead Space Remake in a few months.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Off to a bad start.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Different strokes for different folks, tbh. You might really dig it. It just isn’t what I personally hoped it could be

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 2, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Played a bit further in CP and performance is bad enough that I'm going to wait for a patch. Constant, severe stuttering happening in the majority of cutscenes and arbitrarily during gameplay. An area will be running fine, then opening the inventory drops the FPS to single digits and stays that way even after closing the inventory. Sometimes it just drops down to single digits for no clear reason. Still playable but not without it being constantly frustrating, hopefully they're able to sort it out because it's in a pretty sorry technical state at the moment.

Combat seems kind of simplistic based on early enemies, maybe that will change later on. I thought you would have to predict the timing windows for enemy attacks and react accordingly but you just hold the dodge button for however long you want beforehand and Jacob will dodge when the attack comes. Makes it more of an attack - dodge - maybe dodge - attack - dodge - maybe dodge kind of thing where you're just guessing if the zombie is going to try and hit you once or twice. Far too early to make any real judgments about it though.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Basic Chunnel posted:

At this point I’d think it safe to say that CP is way more of a squib-heavy action game than it a horror game.

I can't help shake the impression so far, perhaps unfairly, that this is closer towards the Resident Evil 6 end of the action/horror spectrum?

Maybe not even as good as RE6 in terms of close quarters melee action..?

Again, that might not be accurate, but it's a niggling takeaway I can't shift as I skim through some of these reviews this morning.

It's disappointing that a new big budget horror IP might be turning out to be a dud, but as others are currently pointing out, horror fans are generally eating pretty good at the moment and have been for a while. There are still great looking horror games released in the last couple of months that I haven't got round to yet, and it's only another month for Dead Space to fill the mainstream, AAA survival horror slot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

That's also Dead Space though.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Different strokes for different folks, tbh. You might really dig it. It just isn’t what I personally hoped it could be

I'm gonna buy it regardless I think. Who knows I might hate it but AAA action horror games are few and far between and it's one of my favorite genres.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds like it just hews closer to DS2 than 1, guess I'll find out when I get home from work. Feel like first game in a series needs that calm before the storm moment that DS2 didn't since you already know what's going on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not directing this at you specifically at all, but I would love to know some actual reasons as to why so many people consider Dead Space 1 survival horror and Dead Space 2 action. I feel like the game that people remember it being and the game it actually is are two entirely different things.

I'd argue that Dead Space 2 is actually a better horror game (and a much, much better action game).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DS1 has you walk around the Ishimura for 10 minutes before stuff starts screaming in your face :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sakurazuka posted:

DS1 has you walk around the Ishimura for 10 minutes before stuff starts screaming in your face :v:

It's actually a lot, lot less than that even

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not directing this at you specifically at all, but I would love to know some actual reasons as to why so many people consider Dead Space 1 survival horror and Dead Space 2 action. I feel like the game that people remember it being and the game it actually is are two entirely different things.

I'd argue that Dead Space 2 is actually a better horror game (and a much, much better action game).

The Alien > Aliens / Terminator > Terminator 2 trend of the 80's has simply made this the most convenient comparison point for any horror adjacent IP that ramps up the action with a sequel, however slightly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blockhouse posted:

It's actually a lot, lot less than that even

What if I count the intro before you land?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
like it's not as immediate as ds3 but it's like five minutes after the ship crash where the lights go out and people start getting necromorph'd

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

DS1 Isaac is a silent protagonist engineer with no experience or understanding of the necromorphs, DS2 Isaac is an action hero who's already killed 1000 of them and acts accordingly. Also a lot more explicit action scenes like when he launches himself from the orbital array back down to the colony, and the sequence of the big necromorph chasing you out into space and getting blown up by the explosive canisters.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I had not heard of that Terminator game or at least not that it was somewhat like the game I was describing but I think it would be obvious that even if I had heard of it, I'd be meaning a new one with modern graphics and the ability to have emergent chases and shootouts happen with big, physics based crazy poo poo happening in a car chase, for example. I am curious though, does that old one actually have you like, trying to procure weapons which is a risky proposition or have civilians about and any of them could be the terminator initially? Pretty cool if they were trying to do that back then.

Shame about Callisto Protocol from what it sounds like, the majority of the reviews that have come out over the night and this morning are pretty bad, it's a recommended from Eurogamer weirdly. It sounds like it's not even a particularly great actiony horror game cause the dodge system sounds weird as gently caress.

BisbyWorl posted:

NG+ seems like a strange thing to wait 2 months to add in.

Weirdly common actually, quite a few of the big Sony games have added New game+ in post release as have a lot of the Ubisoft and other big open world or RPG games.

I wonder if it's just a bit of a disconnect between devs assumptions and players wants or maybe there's the idea that adding it in post release might get the game back in the news on twitter, sites and stuff and get the people who didn't spring at release to go for it now that it might be just a little bit cheaper or whatever.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 2, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bumhead posted:

The Alien > Aliens / Terminator > Terminator 2 trend of the 80's has simply made this the most convenient comparison point for any horror adjacent IP that ramps up the action with a sequel, however slightly.

This is totally what it is, but I would implore the people who make these comparisons to actually go back and play Dead Space 1 again because Dead Space 1 is just a game where you run forward and blast a million enemies and so is Dead Space 2 but DS2 does literally everything better. It's way less Alien vs Aliens and more like Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 2.People just think DS2 is some sort of shift because they forgot what DS1 actually was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Polarising reviews just sounds like it's a love it or hate it game, though I do wonder how many bad reviews are because of the lovely PC performance I won't have to deal with lol

Anyway I still hope it's good but rip if it's not

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Polarising reviews just sounds like it's a love it or hate it game, though I do wonder how many bad reviews are because of the lovely PC performance I won't have to deal with lol

Anyway I still hope it's good but rip if it's not

:same:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds like it just hews closer to DS2 than 1, guess I'll find out when I get home from work. Feel like first game in a series needs that calm before the storm moment that DS2 didn't since you already know what's going on.

In terms of the main character being a killing machine, sure. In terms of making that approach fun and engaging and hooking you in with spectacle and escalation, that’s not at all true. DS2 is miles ahead of TCP from the jump in all regards save visual fidelity.

Anyway, I’ve invested most of my prison funbux into buffing my melee and you know what? I don’t hate it so much. I can grind through the game just to see if the visual design gives anything interesting, or a single character emerges. Not holding my breath.

One thing they definitely stayed true to re: Dead Space is that the death sequences are all extremely gnarly.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

That's also Dead Space though.
Not really? Just because you’re not in SOMA being chased by unkillable enemies who shatter your glass body at the touch doesn’t mean a game isn’t horror.

There’s monsters in CP, sure. You have a shoulder camera perspective, sure. As noted, the player deaths would do Troma proud. Aesthetically there are similarities.

But all things being equal, DS1 is absolutely going for horror - there are characters, and not even main characters, who have motivations you learn about and are invited to invest in, to worry about. The game goes for stakes that can conceivably allow for feelings of dread and terror beyond what jump scares and gore give. It has an interesting, storied setting with a real sense of place. I cannot stress enough that CP has not a single one of those qualities.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 2, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’d also note that because CP doesn’t have a setting or much of a character at its center, its pacing is weird and listless. “You’re an engineer, you’re on a damaged derelict spacecraft” presents a pretty straightforward conceit for how to set up cascades of crises for the character to involve themselves in. With CP it’s more like “oh you’re in a prison, better get this door open, oh no you’ve gotta take the long way,” and it just does that over and over.

About an hour in one character warns another that the PC is not what he seems. Ma’am, I don’t know what he seems to be, let alone what he really is, and i’m invisibly following and controlling the guy wherever he goes.

Also there’s a faction called The Outer Way and the devs should be shamed for not using that as a name for the game, thereby griefing all nerds everywhere who were already suffering from The Outer W* confusion

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 2, 2022

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ran the cp benchmark and was getting second long stutters on my 3090 + 9900k. Hope they fix it soon.

saw someone say this is the netflix adaptation of dead space

oof

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Seems theres a patch in the works to address the performance issues releasing today if I read something right. Unless 1.05 is what the game is running right now?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Skillup's review has just gone up and it's absolutely damning of everything but the visuals.

Reading reviews of the combat etc is one thing but watching this.. wow. This just ain't it, it looks frustrating as gently caress.

https://youtu.be/mm8pxfU9c6E

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Popped my computer on this morning to finish the preload for Callisto P before work and uh, I don't remember getting the deluxe edition but it apparently got added to my account? Has this happened to anyone else?

Not gonna complain about a free upgrade but I just found it kind of odd and wanted to check if others got in the thread got it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Bumhead posted:

Skillup's review has just gone up and it's absolutely damning of everything but the visuals.

Reading reviews of the combat etc is one thing but watching this.. wow. This just ain't it, it looks frustrating as gently caress.

https://youtu.be/mm8pxfU9c6E

eh, like any reviewer you got to know how his and yours tastes overlap. e.g. he liked evil west, which i thought is boring waste of time, so we like different things (or find different things more important), cool. that's all there is to it.

same with gman who is closer to my tastes in games
https://youtu.be/dCB3ysR6rVI