Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

duz posted:

Elon is already refusing to pay for any bills from before he bought the company because he wants to negotiate better deals.

Just the best deals, I'm a negotiator.

So much like Trump it's not even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Why does a deepfake of Zuckerberg have more life and emotion than the real thing

https://twitter.com/DeepFakeZuck/status/1597578322808020992

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why does a deepfake of Zuckerberg have more life and emotion than the real thing

The Z600 series had rubber personality. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human - sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It means they WANTED you to be able to tell the difference between the real (robot) and the fake (human) one

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nenonen posted:

The Z600 series had rubber personality. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human - sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot.

How are they at eating toast?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/DeepFakeZuck/status/1597578322808020992

Ultimately the deepfake is Zuck's voice and body mapped over a normal human. The subtle details of his body language (or complete lack thereof) are what sells him as a human autonomoton. It would take a very talented motion capture actor to properly match that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Morrow posted:

Ultimately the deepfake is Zuck's voice and body mapped over a normal human. The subtle details of his body language (or complete lack thereof) are what sells him as a human autonomoton. It would take a very talented motion capture actor to properly match that.

This guy does a pretty good Zuckerberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2GVxYfKSxA

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Shocking!

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1597563460195594240

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Well there it is."
- Ian Malcolm, "Jurassic Park"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thanks Ants posted:

It's paired with Neuralink so it could fire totally at random

He's waiting for Gunther's skul gun, naturally.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1598148281582104576

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A corner of lawexplainer/lolwyer twitter is apparently representing a number of fired twitter employees as a part of their day jobs.

Starting off with a public threat/demand shitpost that's clearly targeted at everyone except twitter:
https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1598487532764798983

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That made me wince. The employees who got shafted on their severance deserve to be fairly treated, but this is some incredibly unprofessional legal writing, to say nothing of posting it publicly on the internet at all, let alone on Twitter itself. Judges and arbitrators don’t look kindly on that kind of stunt, and your priority as a lawyer should be representing your clients in a way that is most likely to succeed, and giving a bunch of internet strangers who already agree with you their daily lols is not the best way to accomplish that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I assume there’s some strategy behind the snark. But it’s not particularly acerbic snark. Reads as pretty lame.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It reads like they hired a Twitter lawyer, instead of a real one.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Antigravitas posted:

It reads like they hired a Twitter lawyer, instead of a real one.

Well Musk has hired street fighters, so you need similar talent to win.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nenonen posted:

Well Musk has hired street fighters, so you need similar talent to win.

Ah excellent. Haven't seen a good old knife fight on the court floor in quite a while!
drat lawyers these days always trying to hard to be smart and all, overthinking things, using words and laws instead of fisticuffs and knives.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Mzbundifund posted:

That made me wince. The employees who got shafted on their severance deserve to be fairly treated, but this is some incredibly unprofessional legal writing, to say nothing of posting it publicly on the internet at all, let alone on Twitter itself. Judges and arbitrators don’t look kindly on that kind of stunt, and your priority as a lawyer should be representing your clients in a way that is most likely to succeed, and giving a bunch of internet strangers who already agree with you their daily lols is not the best way to accomplish that.

That is a PR statement meant to he read by regular people who won't understand real legalese, including Musk who is not exactly bright and communicates primarily by meme. I would wager the actual legal filings are being done using appropriate language. I don't think there is any risk of pissing off Judges and arbitrators since Musk literally tweeted out that he planned on breaking the law/contracts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
One thing tech has done to really bother me at work is making to it to where at least half my day is moving work through spreadsheets, editing job orders, making notes and messaging and emailing people all the time. All of this stuff is supposed to streamline the process but, over the last decade or so, it's become total overkill and seem inefficient.

I'll spend maybe half my time doing the actual real work and the rest documenting it or trying to clean out my inbox and messages.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing tech has done to really bother me at work is making to it to where at least half my day is moving work through spreadsheets, editing job orders, making notes and messaging and emailing people all the time. All of this stuff is supposed to streamline the process but, over the last decade or so, it's become total overkill and seem inefficient.

I'll spend maybe half my time doing the actual real work and the rest documenting it or trying to clean out my inbox and messages.

I mean I think this depends a lot on management and the type of work you're doing.

Like I know there's some projects I've worked on that are like that, but others have been simple simple with just maybe a few emails and maybe a call through a normal day, and all work being done on documents in a share drive whole team had access too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

People who can't "do" but need to justify why they are there/involved/getting paid seem to primarily produce time wasting processes. This is a failure of executive leadership that can only be corrected with their full support.

It almost never happens, because said executive would have to admit they weren't running their business properly to begin with. So the best you can hope for is changing it during a reorg/new executive leadership. And it requires getting rid of the dead weight.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Counterpoint: Documentation and testing are actually good and necessary and all of the worst bullshit I've ever had to deal with was because some keyboard cowboy coded straight to production on Saturday afternoon.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Counterpoint: Documentation and testing are actually good and necessary and all of the worst bullshit I've ever had to deal with was because some keyboard cowboy coded straight to production on Saturday afternoon.

Ironically, the issue in tech is that it is never documented enough, while the issue everywhere else is that you end up with both paper and digital documentation and then have to make another document to consolidate the two.

Basically, tech is the only area where there isn't enough documentation, largely because the whole field is making it up as they go along, whereas BiggerBoat has all the processes since the invention of the Gutenberg press to go through

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Consider that some of those "make work" or "inefficient" processes you're doing are likely things that used to be someone else's job, and various types of automation have simplified the process enough that it doesn't need people dedicated to that task anymore. My company pissed off a lot of the old guard last year when they switched the travel approval and reimbursement process over to a self-serve web portal, rather than having folks email someone in accounting with their travel details and receipts. The new system actually does streamline the process, and does a lot of the mileage and per diem calculations that someone used to do manually. It saves the accounting team a bunch of time at the expense of travelers needing to do a tiny bit of extra work for each request.

When we used to have the automation thread, this was one of the things that I felt folks often overlooked in favor of a strict "can a robot do all aspects of my job, yes or no?" interpretation. Software and other systems are shrinking the amount of work required for a bunch of different processes, and it results in job responsibilities getting broader and leaves you with the tasks that computers aren't good at.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 2, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if I was still in the workforce I would gladly take electronic help from automation. Hell even a simple spell check saved me hours at one of my previous jobs. Give us the jobs that robots can't do and leave the rest for humans. Hell, give us the jobs it's too expensive for robots to do while you're at it, somebody has to make the fries and flip the burgers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Elon seems to be making sure to drive away every single person who was foolish enough to not take the severance.

Two weeks of PTO is now "unacceptable" for a major tech company and everyone will be expected to work through the holidays.

Don't worry, there will be some breaks allowed during Christmas day and New Year's Eve!

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1598766600685228032

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol if they don't have a freeze on shipping new features during that time of year, why do they need people in

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

lol if they don't have a freeze on shipping new features during that time of year, why do they need people in

elon is a huge moron desperate to salvage his fortune, and he's convinced himself that the problem with twitter is that it just has bad code. he'll fix the code and drive out the trolls and revenues will come flooding in

because he's in a desperate maniac state he is trying to work very hard to fix things, and by working hard i mean he will scream at other people to write better code. so twitter is going to be basically permanent crunch mode hell until the code is good and the website is saved

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Elon seems to be making sure to drive away every single person who was foolish enough to not take the severance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJ38y4Jn6k

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1598778884639653891

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I never thought Twitter was any good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

:same:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Two weeks of PTO is now "unacceptable" for a major tech company and everyone will be expected to work through the holidays.

Don't worry, there will be some breaks allowed during Christmas day and New Year's Eve!

I don't understand the appeal of suddenly working startup hours for a previously relatively stable public company. In any other situation that is a massive red flag.

Musk likes to boast about how he is always the liaison between multiple teams trying to bridge communication and simplify process/design in an effort to make products cheaper or better. In interviews is says stuff like, "I ask this team why this feature exists and they said that some other team needs it. So I asked the other team and they said they stopped using it 1 year ago. So we stopped adding it and I saved the company a bunch of money!" Milestones in software are generally very abstract so it's funny to imagine how ridiculous or counter intuitive some of those discussions are.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thanks Ants posted:

Elon neglects his kids around the holidays (and the rest of the year) so clearly his employees should too.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Elon's on a one-man mission to find the LD50 of cocaine personally.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

tbh missing out on obviously lovely things before the general public realized they were lovely was a great way to murder your social life

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Wonder whats going to happen to Twitter staff in countries (Ireland is one I'm aware of) where their staff are legally entitled to one uninterrupted two week holiday a year (and four more weeks of holidays on top of that) with that. Gonna be some fun court cases.

Their global VP of Public Policy whos employed in Dublin already sued and got herself reinstated because her dismissal for not signing Elon's pledge email wasn't acceptable to the court: https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/1130/1339217-twitter-executive/

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Blut posted:

Wonder whats going to happen to Twitter staff in countries (Ireland is one I'm aware of) where their staff are legally entitled to one uninterrupted two week holiday a year (and four more weeks of holidays on top of that) with that. Gonna be some fun court cases.

Their global VP of Public Policy whos employed in Dublin already sued and got herself reinstated because her dismissal for not signing Elon's pledge email wasn't acceptable to the court: https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/1130/1339217-twitter-executive/

At best, he'll acquiesce to those demands and put out the minimum required per country.

More likely, he'll just not give a poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dr_rat posted:

I mean I think this depends a lot on management and the type of work you're doing.

True but, OK. In my particular case I was working in a franchise sign making shop so make of that what you will. It was overkill.

Motronic posted:

People who can't "do" but need to justify why they are there/involved/getting paid seem to primarily produce time wasting processes. This is a failure of executive leadership that can only be corrected with their full support.

It almost never happens, because said executive would have to admit they weren't running their business properly to begin with. So the best you can hope for is changing it during a reorg/new executive leadership. And it requires getting rid of the dead weight.

This happens now in my current job dealing cards in a poker room. My supervisors and their supervisors have everything supposedly streamlined with a huge network of communication that ostensibly simplifies things but it really doesn't. Near as I can tell, my immediate supervisors spend WELL over half their times on tablets and phones, often ignoring betting action and issues on tables, and we have an employee WhatsApp thing we're supposed to use where well over half of those posts are people being "funny" and junking it up with bullshit.

The latter is supposed to be for us to post poo poo like if we're running late, need a ride, are sick and can't come in or want someone to switch hours with us and poo poo like that. But I've basically just come around to ignoring it because every morning when i look at it there's 85 new messages that have nothing to with our work and more than a few memes, IMPACT FONT and all, or single emoji shitposts. It's like a comments section only with employees.

Further, when we work a table ( my job is to read hands, count chips and ensure that bets are paid out correctly and no one cheats or fucks up), we log in under our names and PIN, count the rake every hand and make notes on it noting how much people bought in for, won or lost but NONE of that poo poo goes into ANY central data base and if we have a "dead spread", the tablet will go to sleep and the notes get lost. So my supervisor will ask me how much a player won/lost and I can't tell them because the tablet erased my notes.

It's pointless.

But everyone I work with knows when I'm gonna be 10 minutes late

E

I'm not saying this stuff can't be incredibly useful is done right but, like most things related to the internet, we have to separate the white noise from the information that's actually useful (like in my example up there where someone on my way in to work needs a lift) but I can't daily sift through 75 messages to get to that.

Think spam or a Reddit thread.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Blut posted:

Kind of seems like a bad move on her part if she missed out the more generous severance package.