Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
They should just make a Red Mars series or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Looking for impressions on recently-released KS game Oak. Anyone played it (ideally more than once) and got a take?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Here I'll save you a movie ticket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNssEVlB6M

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm sure it'll come out sometime after the Catan movie that was optioned like a decade ago

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This Cobalt Knight? https://www.cobaltknight.com/

Adding a screenshot in case it changes:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That production company is apparently fresh out of the womb. Yeah, a movie is totally going to be produced.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Personally, I can't wait for Terraforming Mars: The Game: The Movie: The Game!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

If there isn't a montage of mismatched stock footage I'll be disappointed.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I try not to talk much about my own projects in this thread, but today I got an e-mail from Kickstarter confirming some of the most exciting news in my design career. My first game, Heckin Hounds, is officially in production.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527566924/heckin-hounds/posts/3679353

It's really exciting, and I've known every step of the way has been progress towards that end goal of having a published game. Every step so far has been the most exciting news in my design career. It's like that Lord of the Rings video where they cut "This is the farthest I've been from the shire" into every step Sam takes

But at some point I'll arrive at my destination. A maximum distance from malaise to excitement. Just like Sam and Frodo's journey taking them a maximum distance from the Shire, assuming middleearth is a round world like earth is? Some big LOTR fan is going to jump in here I'm sure.

I'm not sure that every release can be more exciting than the last, and the first might be the most exciting. We'll find out as I do more in the industry.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Frozen Peach posted:

I try not to talk much about my own projects in this thread, but today I got an e-mail from Kickstarter confirming some of the most exciting news in my design career. My first game, Heckin Hounds, is officially in production.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527566924/heckin-hounds/posts/3679353

It's really exciting, and I've known every step of the way has been progress towards that end goal of having a published game. Every step so far has been the most exciting news in my design career. It's like that Lord of the Rings video where they cut "This is the farthest I've been from the shire" into every step Sam takes

But at some point I'll arrive at my destination. A maximum distance from malaise to excitement. Just like Sam and Frodo's journey taking them a maximum distance from the Shire, assuming middleearth is a round world like earth is? Some big LOTR fan is going to jump in here I'm sure.

I'm not sure that every release can be more exciting than the last, and the first might be the most exciting. We'll find out as I do more in the industry.

Congrats! I saw the update earlier, looking forward to getting my copy.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Why not just make Red Planet as a live action movie?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Apparently Stonemaier Games ended up with an extra copy of the Viticulture Wine Crate, and offered to sell it to someone in their Discord server, so I snapped it up.

It came signed by Jamey, which imo is pretty cool. I know he has a bit of a bad reputation in some circles (either be because of their opinions on him or his games) but he's a good guy IRL and I've met and had conversations with him a few times.

He even gave me a quote for Heckin Hounds, and made a youtube video about it's prototype, Walking Doggos.

So this is pretty cool. I'm stoked.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Frozen Peach posted:

It's complicated. At the end of the second age the world changed from flat to curved, but elven ships can still follow the Straight Way to reach Valinor.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's complicated. At the end of the second age the world changed from flat to curved, but elven ships can still follow the Straight Way to reach Valinor.

Wait so do the elves just launch off into space? Are the Grey Havens a spaceport?

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

taser rates posted:

They should just make a Red Mars series or something.

but

Impermanent posted:

you say that now but once the movie comes out and it is a poorly-paced slow-moving mess where no one is really interacting with each other you'll see how true it was to its inspiration

Nah, I kid. Robinson's great, and they should make a Red Mars movie and not a Terraforming Mars movie.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The thread title is hitting me hard. Just unboxed Aeon’s Trespass. This MF’er is H.U.G.E.

edit: spelling

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 2, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Wait so do the elves just launch off into space? Are the Grey Havens a spaceport?

Do you consider the stairway to heaven a Space Elevator (or Escalator)? Then yeah kinda.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

djfooboo posted:

The thread title is hitting me hard. Just unboxed Aaron’s Trespass. This MF’er is H.U.G.E.

To translate from Autocorrect to English, this game is (probably?) Aeon Tresspass: Odyssey. I found a unboxing video where you can see just how huge this thing is compared to a grown man's hand. Looks like some wild Kickstarter extravagance, if that's what you're in for.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

djfooboo posted:

The thread title is hitting me hard. Just unboxed Aaron’s Trespass. This MF’er is H.U.G.E.

Magnetic North posted:

To translate from Autocorrect to English, this game is (probably?) Aeon Tresspass: Odyssey. I found a unboxing video where you can see just how huge this thing is compared to a grown man's hand. Looks like some wild Kickstarter extravagance, if that's what you're in for.

Well drat, now I'm kinda curious to know how a game called "Aaron's Trespass" might actually play like! :D

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Idk, some biblical thing about Aaron stumbling onto a deep secret behind the group that created the golden calf? Campaign game with deduction elements and story cyoa style stuff.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

djfooboo posted:

jealous, mine hasn't even shipped yet.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I’m going on a 4 day trip with 6-8 other people, and packing Avalon and codenames.

Last time I tried Avalon with non-gamers we played two rounds with no discussion in five minutes each. Any tips on what to explain about the flow of the game and what the blue team should be after in each “phase” of the game? I particularly struggle to explain why the players shouldn’t rush to the first mission when you have no information.

I’m bad at Mafia, which doesn’t help.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Last time I tried Avalon with non-gamers we played two rounds with no discussion in five minutes each. Any tips on what to explain about the flow of the game and what the blue team should be after in each “phase” of the game? I particularly struggle to explain why the players shouldn’t rush to the first mission when you have no information.

I swear to God I am not shitposting: Have you considered a different social deduction game like Insider? I say this for two reasons:

1: Insider has essentially no mechanics besides discussion, so it will necessitate interaction and engagement. This is not without its downsides; it has more 'ceremony' needed to play, the teams are less dynamic without the inclusion of things like Merlin, and some people won't like being singled out as the Insider.
2: Avalon has certain meta-level stuff that might make it difficult for the truly uninitiated to grok. It's like if you wanted to introduce people to baseball with teeball, except you also need to understand the infield shift.

Then again, I have mostly played Avalon and other social deduction games with established gamers, and the few non-gamers were so completely out of their depths they may be coloring my response. Even if you want to turn them into Avalon players eventually, a simpler game might be a nice stepping stone.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Well drat, now I'm kinda curious to know how a game called "Aaron's Trespass" might actually play like! :D

It’s sounds like a sequel to Logan’s Run. I’m in!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Biggest hit for my MtG friends has been Battlecon and Sakura Arms, though Blue Moon Legends is probably best in class for 2p card duelers. It sneaks in by looking like a MtG style game but is a very different beast.

I want to thank Bottom Liner for mentioning Blue Moon Legends a while back. I picked it up used and it really is something. It's a Knizia design, so it's got balance up its card/suit zugzwang, and while it is a dueler, there is no chipping away at health or targeting opponents. There is only ever one fight going on at a time (to win the favor of a dragon), and only over one of two elements at a time. If you can't match your opponent's current strength in the contested element on a turn, you have to retreat and your opponent gets closer to winning. If the fight has
gone on more than a few turns, they get twice as close, so you have to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. The game is about outlasting an opponent in a given fight rather than overpowering them, because your fighting strength in an element is not necessarily cumulative from turn to turn. If you choose not to start a fight, you discard cards anyway, and the game ends when one player has no more cards or one player would win over a fourth dragon.

The card art does look very FFG/MtG, but it is really not like that at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s secretly an auction game and when you view it that way it all clicks. Glad you’re enjoying it. Have you done any deck building?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

homullus posted:

I want to thank Bottom Liner for mentioning Blue Moon Legends a while back. I picked it up used and it really is something. It's a Knizia design, so it's got balance up its card/suit zugzwang, and while it is a dueler, there is no chipping away at health or targeting opponents. There is only ever one fight going on at a time (to win the favor of a dragon), and only over one of two elements at a time. If you can't match your opponent's current strength in the contested element on a turn, you have to retreat and your opponent gets closer to winning. If the fight has
gone on more than a few turns, they get twice as close, so you have to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. The game is about outlasting an opponent in a given fight rather than overpowering them, because your fighting strength in an element is not necessarily cumulative from turn to turn. If you choose not to start a fight, you discard cards anyway, and the game ends when one player has no more cards or one player would win over a fourth dragon.

The card art does look very FFG/MtG, but it is really not like that at all.

I've had Blue Moon Legends sitting unplayed on the shelf for years since someone here recommended it. Makes me want to push harder to get it onto the table finally.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FulsomFrank posted:

I've had Blue Moon Legends sitting unplayed on the shelf for years since someone here recommended it. Makes me want to push harder to get it onto the table finally.

It looks neat, but not $100 used neat. If I see a good deal on one I may grab a copy.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Blue Moon Legends is so drat good. So much game In that one even without any deckbuilding whatsoever.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Has anyone bought from Button Shy before? I received an order confirmation email a week ago and told I'd receive emails with updates. Crickets and I would hope they'd at least have made a label by now? Also they're pushing an app download at me for tracking my package? Lol? Gross. Nope

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Has anyone bought from Button Shy before? I received an order confirmation email a week ago and told I'd receive emails with updates. Crickets and I would hope they'd at least have made a label by now? Also they're pushing an app download at me for tracking my package? Lol? Gross. Nope

I bought from them and had no issues, but I also didn't really interrogate my shipment very much. I think they just had a Thanksgiving sale so that might explain the slowness? It's a small operation, as far as I understand.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I feel bad for smaller operations because yeah they're going to take a bit to ship and people get impatient. By smaller I mean not Amazon. I ordered from Boardlandia and the same thing happened, over a week for any update and a prompt to download Shipt or whatever it's called. I did get a USPS tracking code when it actually shipped, so I don't know what I'd get out of a package tracking app.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Okay I'll be more patient. For some reason the email confirmation feels less like I'm gonna get my stuff than acknowledging the creation of a shipping label. If I had that I wouldn't worry much and know it'll show up "eventually"

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Okay I'll be more patient. For some reason the email confirmation feels less like I'm gonna get my stuff than acknowledging the creation of a shipping label. If I had that I wouldn't worry much and know it'll show up "eventually"

I've also bought from button shy without issue, just to have another vote in favor of "give them some time".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s secretly an auction game and when you view it that way it all clicks. Glad you’re enjoying it. Have you done any deck building?

Yeah, it's that kind of game, with the added uncertainty of not knowing when your choices give your opponent more currency. It was on my Unplayed pile so we only played twice, with different factions each time. Definitely a keeper.

FulsomFrank posted:

It's also pretty easy to teach and quick to play once you get past how much it is unlike the games it looks like. The box has nine factions in it. Talking about it makes me want to play it again.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Played some 4p Spirit Island. We played at difficulty 5 against the perfidious Swedes. drat to those damage 3 / 5 towns and cities hit hard.

Spirits were:
- Ocean
- Plague Lizard
- Broken Stone
- Lure of Wild

We squeaked by with a city / town kill win at fear level 2. Highlight was drawing an event card that let us nuke some colonizers but in exchange having to pull two cards out of the explore deck. We won on the second to last round.

God Spirit Island is loving good.

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022

LifeLynx posted:

I feel bad for smaller operations because yeah they're going to take a bit to ship and people get impatient. By smaller I mean not Amazon.

I think it's this. Button Shy is also just about to fulfill a Kickstarter Gamefound so they are double slammed.

TenTimesLessByOne fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 2, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

tokenbrownguy posted:

Played some 4p Spirit Island. We played at difficulty 5 against the perfidious Swedes. drat to those damage 3 / 5 towns and cities hit hard.

Spirits were:
- Ocean
- Plague Lizard
- Broken Stone
- Lure of Wild

We squeaked by with a city / town kill win at fear level 2. Highlight was drawing an event card that let us nuke some colonizers but in exchange having to pull two cards out of the explore deck. We won on the second to last round.

God Spirit Island is loving good.

Lure is my favorite spirit in my favorite game. It's so fun to play.

Hosted a Spirit Island meetup recently, and at my table had a player who wasn't that familiar with the game (other table was newbs except for my co-host), so we decided no adversaries. For grins, we played Lure/Ocean/River (to play bulldozer with invaders, pushing them into kill zones; in retrospect, I should have taken BoDaN for the challenge if I wanted a push spirit). To my shame, we actually made it to invader stage three before getting a Terror level 4 victory, but part of that was because we had the absolute worst set of event cards I've ever seen come up in a SI game. We had one event out of 9 or so that was positive and maybe one more that was neutral, and the ones we got were brutal. For example, the first event card that counted (I.e., on turn 2) was "explore all lands that don't have a town/city".

The guy who played Lure was used to playing it online, so it was a new spirit for him, and he loved it. "I see the al-lure."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My kickstarter copy of Heroes of Barcadia arrived!

This game is extraordinarly dumb and random but pretty drat funny. Like there is less skill involved than Talisman, but unlike Talisman it's also quick. Like Talisman, at least in my house, it involves drinking booze with a group of friends.

The game begins by building a dungeon. All players grab the hexagonal tiles and play them face down. Then you take it in turns to move your character one tile at a time to reveal the tile, which can be a monster, boss monster, team battle, loot discovery, powerup or portal (spelled 'pourtal', because the game is drinks themed).

For monsters, you roll your D20 and try to equal or beat the number on the tile. All the monsters are booze-themed twists on your typical fantasy enemies, like the Hopgoblin and the Brewnicorn, and the artwork is pretty cute.
Bosses, you pick someone else and you have to equal or beat their roll - both players can play loot cards to affect the outcome.
Team battles, you pick other players to roll with you and your combined score has to beat the number on the tile.
Loot and powerup tiles you take cards from the respective decks.
Pourtals let you teleport to any other pourtal in the dungeon.

The twist is that your character is actually a glass of beer (or whatever beverage you fill it with). Yep, you're moving your drink through a dungeon. When you lose a fight - including if you were rolling for a boss - you take damage, determined by a hit points meter on the side of your glass. When you take damage, you drink the required amount. If you lose a team battle, you all drink. If your glass runs out, you die and have to respawn (you refill your glass and lose most of your stuff).

Loot cards let you do a variety of things such as healing (refill your glass), reroll dice, set traps for other players, steal stuff from others etc. This is literally the only part of the game that requires any actual thought. Powerups are permanent upgrades (unless someone steals them). You need to have three powerups in play when you find the big boss tile or you're not allowed to fight it.

Most of us were drinking beer except one guy who was driving who stuck to water, which is probably a good thing because he died four times, which is equivalent to about three pints I think (I died once, just before the game ended) but then he somehow won - like I said, this game is very random.

Anyway, fun little game, nicely made components - everything is waterproof, even the rulebook, which is pretty neat since you're almost certainly going to get spillage as multiple people are moving glasses of liquid around the table all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you ever played or know anyone who has played Neon Knights 2086?

quote:

Neon Knights: 2086 is a career-driven racing game for 2 to 6 players. You can play single races or in campaign mode which allows you to level up your car and skills as you play. You will advance in your career by buying upgrades and installing weapons and shields on your car. You will also gain fans and sponsorships who will train you in getting the skills you need to become a better driver. During the race you will need to pass over certain street areas to Activate weapons and shield you have on your car, which you can then use on other drivers.

You can go as fast as you want to but some areas of the slums are harder to drive through and will damage your car if you're going too fast. Will you take those risks?