Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like the new desert map, because the Servitor storage facility reminds me of the Pillar of Skulls from Planescape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Someone in a discord pointed this out in regards to crossplay, which is a way softer stance than earlier. I reckon I'm still gonna hold out hope and play on gamep rear end.

otoh this is fatshark who put out a trailer for vt2 versus years ago and, as of yet, have not canceled it but also have said nothing else about it, so, i wouldnt hold my breath about what they insist might come later maybe

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fishstick posted:

I didnt even know there were differences in charge levels. As long as hold long enough to trigger a heavy attack, it doesnt matter how long you hold it afterwards, does it? I dont remember heavy damage scaling depending on "charge" in V2 for most weapons, if any?

Well the Ogryn Knife Through Butter feat says "Fully charged heavy attacks have unlimited cleave." So this implies you can have heavy attacks that are not fully charged, right?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

otoh this is fatshark who put out a trailer for vt2 versus years ago and, as of yet, have not canceled it but also have said nothing else about it, so, i wouldnt hold my breath about what they insist might come later maybe

Fair point, but otoh I really want it and I think I should get it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Fair point, but otoh I really want it and I think I should get it.

same, i have been saying "i want to shoot the elf to death with a ratling gun" for years and this is a fair and just demand and yet fatshark dithers

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

All I need is to wipe that smug and arrogant sneer off of Saltzy's face, with a jagged axe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Re: charged heavies, I don't think they have actual differences from releasing heavies when you can (a la most VT weapons), but a thing I noticed is that holding down left click will automatically have your dude continuously charge and release heavy swings. I assume letting the animation ride out results in a fully charged attack that fits the requirement of those feats/blessings.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

toasterwarrior posted:

Re: charged heavies, I don't think they have actual differences from releasing heavies when you can (a la most VT weapons), but a thing I noticed is that holding down left click will automatically have your dude continuously charge and release heavy swings. I assume letting the animation ride out results in a fully charged attack that fits the requirement of those feats/blessings.

That's been my assumption, yeah.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

Anyone have an ogryn build idea? Most of the talents seem pretty lovely!

Sure. This covers more than just feats, but weapon choice and playstyle too.

Cease to Hope posted:

I play Ogryn pretty much exclusively, and this is based on my experience with 4*.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just got my hands on my first plasma gun and holy poo poo :stare:. The bolter may still have a sight edge in thinning out ranged squads and emergency magdumping, but the plasma gun's better handling and ability penetrate through enemies seems really powerful.

Also, as much poo poo as we (rightfully) give Fatshark, they really went above and beyond with the presentation of the weapons. The plasma gun could just as easily have been some half-assed reskin that just lobs lovely blue balls, but absolutely nailed it. The way it kinda gurgles as it charges, the glow and vibration as it heats up, and the absolute devastation on every shot, it's all just :discourse:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

what the gently caress does "stacks 3 times" even mean on this blessing.
does it go up to 5%, 3 times, for +15% total?

if so, why not just say "up to +15% Power"?

if not, what does that bit even mean?

Orv
May 4, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

what the gently caress does "stacks 3 times" even mean on this blessing.
does it go up to 5%, 3 times, for +15% total?

if so, why not just say "up to +15% Power"?

if not, what does that bit even mean?

The longer you hold the attack before releasing it’ll go up to +5% power, which stacks 3 times on successive attacks.

Much as this game has an explanation problem that one’s actually pretty clear.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, how long does it last?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

:shrug:

Actually come to think of it does anything list duration in this game? The Zealot cheat death is all I can think of.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Broken Cog posted:

I would imagine until you stop heavy attacking.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

It's used on the heavy attack that you're charging.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Orv posted:

The longer you hold the attack before releasing it’ll go up to +5% power, which stacks 3 times on successive attacks.

that's not even a little clear. nowhere in that does it imply that this is something that lasts for a certain amount of time rather than just being an effect on that specific charged attack

Legit Businessman posted:

It's used on the heavy attack that you're charging.
in that case, how does it stack?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't think anybody but Fatshark has the real answers to most of these questions fwiw

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

that's not even a little clear. nowhere in that does it imply that this is something that lasts for a certain amount of time rather than just being an effect on that specific charged attack

in that case, how does it stack?

First attack +5%, second attack +10%, third and subsequent attack +15% until you stop heavy attacking. That's how it reads to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Next time I see a weapon with Thrust I’ll grab it and see but I don’t think I have any at the moment which is a whole other issue. :cripes:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My toughness.... my toughness...

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i like how my choice in melee weapon partially goes with which ones have heavy crowd control sweeps so i dont have to give myself arthritis spamming mouse 1 light attacks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Once again, there's no heresy missions on the table. C'mon game

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So if there's no missions of a certain difficulty does that stop you doing quickplay at that difficulty for the duration as well? Somebody said a page or two ago that quickplay is only serving up whatever missions are on the rotation so I'd guess so.

Still don't see what this level select system really offers over just letting us select a a level from all of them ourselves. I figured from how they described it that quickplay would be potentially picking from all of them but the ones they served up would have bonuses or whatever and that the various modifiers they had would be all active at once as well but so far it's just been more or less enemies and the lighting/fog ones I haven't seen at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

thebardyspoon posted:

So if there's no missions of a certain difficulty does that stop you doing quickplay at that difficulty for the duration as well? Somebody said a page or two ago that quickplay is only serving up whatever missions are on the rotation so I'd guess so.

Still don't see what this level select system really offers over just letting us select a a level from all of them ourselves. I figured from how they described it that quickplay would be potentially picking from all of them but the ones they served up would have bonuses or whatever and that the various modifiers they had would be all active at once as well but so far it's just been more or less enemies and the lighting/fog ones I haven't seen at all.

You can still quickplay, it'll just drop you into a random configuration for that difficulty level rather than something on the board.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Orv posted:

Legit Businessman posted:

First attack +5%, second attack +10%, third and subsequent attack +15% until you stop heavy attacking. That's how it reads to me.
Ok, I have now tested this and I am quite certain it does not work that way.

Using light attack once then repeated fully charged heavy attacks(so I get the repeated overhead chops, since if I start with a heavy attack it's the horizontal sweep which seems to have a lower motion value):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ3VsLarZww

These repeated chops clearly have different motion values.
Ones where the animation starts slightly to the left do 232 damage, ones where the animation starts slightly to the right do 205 damage. (Without a crit.)
This is true whether it's the first heavy attack, the 2nd, whatever. The numbers only change based on the animation, they don't go up with successive heavy attacks.

I can compare that to minimally charged heavy attacks-those do 222 and 195, respectively.
222*1.05=233.1
195*1.05=204.75
So those just round up from 222/195 to 232/205.

So this effect does not stack up over multiple heavy attacks.
It seems to just give you up to +5% damage on a heavy attack, if you charge it fully(aka holding down M1 until it's released automatically).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

I don't think anybody at Fatshark has the real answers to most of these questions fwiw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wait, hold on-forget what I just said!

My numbers for minimally charged heavy attacks were wrong, I was holding M1 slightly too long.
The actual minimally charged heavy attacks are doing 202/186.

202*1.05*1.05=222.705
186*1.05*1.05=205.065

So, it's rounding down, not up.
And it is stacking, sort of... but not per successive heavy attack. So it's still true that it doesn't work that way.
Instead, it stacks up a +5% damage bonus every time some arbitrary amount of time charging has passed.

The weird aspect of this is that, even when holding down M1 so long that the attack automatically lets go, I am only able to stack the effect twice.
So at least with this weapon's moveset, it's impossible to actually stack it 3 times.

(Also, of course, the description does not convey any of this at all, hence why you both had incorrect assumptions.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Toughness should be fixed now, patch out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

(Also, of course, the description does not convey any of this at all, hence why you both had incorrect assumptions.)

To be fair, if I just always said “It’s probably broken” I’d never be wrong. :v:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Prawned posted:

People having wildly differing experiences performance and crash-wise, quite strange.

My group is all playing on gamespass and it's running really well for me (5900x and RTX3070, raytracing and DLSS on) and no crashes yet.

im on gamepass too, we're playing an older version of the game and still haven't got the steam update that makes everything worse

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I'm running a 3080 and a 5900X and get some pretty garbo performance (unstable 60fps-ish as of latest patch) even compared to my buddies also running 3080s.

The odd thing is that my PC never gets hot running this game, so I've run HWMonitor while playing and utilization just stays low across the board. For contrast, it gets warm running 2077, Mortal Shell, VR games, and will even warm up for Divinity Original Sin 2. But Darktide? I might as well be looking at my desktop.

I'm gonna try the RTX config change to see if I can squeeze some more frames out, but it seems to me like this game should be heating my poo poo up. Idk if I have some kind of bottleneck (my RAM isn't the fastest I guess?) but it just seems like Darktide isn't finding all the PC it could be using to not drop frames in hordes.

Also, my buddy gets a CTD on loading "The Hourglass" 100% of the time so that's fun.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Orv posted:

Toughness should be fixed now, patch out.

Patch notes: https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/hotfix-1-0-13/64426

Note that it reset graphic settings again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Orv posted:

To be fair, if I just always said “It’s probably broken” I’d never be wrong. :v:
There's also another possibility which is that my "minimum charge time" numbers actually do have 1 of the buff applied, and it is in fact going up to 3 stacks total.
In which case it's applying so quickly that you can't do a heavy attack without getting at least 1 +5% buff, which would be weird.

And also I still have my same question of why not just up to +15% damage, instead of +5% damage up to 3 times stacking multiplicitively?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
There's definitely a memory leak which Fatshark acknowledged (I've seen it using up to 20GB of RAM after a few missions), but there's something else fucky going on. There's just some aspect of certain hardware that the game is not using or recognizing.

There's also something strange with how the game recognizes resolutions and fullscreen/windowed/borderless. I just launched the game with reset graphics settings, and it launched in a windowed 1080p. The game was set to fullscreen. In the HUB, the camera was zoomed out so that I could see my character's feet and beneath. I hit alt+enter, and the game went into fullscreen, but now the bottom of the camera cut off at my character's knees. I goobered around with resolutions and window options as well as alt+enter, getting different results with this each time along with differing framerates.

EDIT: All of that made my AMD performance overlay so small that I can no longer read it. That's kind of cute.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 2, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The new patch might explain why i just got disconnected mid game. I was about to die to two maulers and a horde because i temp forgot to block because i really wanted to chop one in half BUT it was a fun round.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Latest patch seems to have removed RTX settings from the user settings file entirely, so hopefully we don't have to worry about that lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bugginess aside for a sec I have questiosn about daemonhosts

what will activate them? close proximity and shooting them seems obvious; what about other things like shooting away from it while nearby, or shooting towards it (but missing) from a distance?

playing as preacher with eviscerator, what should I do if it starts attacking me to have the most possible damage dealt to it before i eat poo poo: attack without defending myself? block, shove, or dodge, or maybe even try to kite, so my teammates can have a longer go? something else?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Broken Cog posted:

Latest patch seems to have removed RTX settings from the user settings file entirely, so hopefully we don't have to worry about that lol

they were gone from mine immediately after the launcher reset the config but reappeared when i went into game, fixed settings and exited. all still turned up ofc :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the latest patch improved my performance to a hilarious degree, it runs SO much smother now - if it was just the RTX thing then its gross that it took them so long to do something about a bug people have been discussing for this long

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 2, 2022