Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BigglesSWE posted:

Ye during debates is gonna be fun. At the slightest hint of pushback from anyone he’ll just storm out and huff and puff, because he’s been insulated by yesmen for god knows how long.

lol, the republicans won't let him on stage. They'll change what ever rules they need to, to make sure he isn't allowed on stage (he's an independent technically I think, so shouldn't be hard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Unless he was good at running with a football.

Hmm. Yeah. That's fair. poo poo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When Kanye goes off script at his shows and starts speaking directly to the audience, is he any good at oratory? Is he like, jealous of how Hitler could speak to crowds and get them going?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Hitler was the dangerous kind of fascist because he had actual charisma and could whip people into a frenzy (at least, he did, before the steady stream of drugs his quack doctor pumped him full of at all hours of the day boiled his brain). Ye... does not.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Pirate Radar posted:

When Kanye goes off script at his shows and starts speaking directly to the audience, is he any good at oratory? Is he like, jealous of how Hitler could speak to crowds and get them going?

He sometimes has seven thoughts at once in his head.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grand Fromage posted:

None of that has anything to do with if he thinks the Holocaust happened or not though. He could think it happened and was a great idea. He could believe it was fake. We don't know because he knows better than to say it on air.

If I had to bet I'd guess he at least thinks it's overstated, if not outright fake.

I've always thought he fundamentally just doesn't care that much. Alex doesn't care what's true, he cares how he can manipulate the appearance of truth to support his own venal purposes and the underlying truth and falsehood doesn't matter, and this is just as true for him internally as externally.

I just don't think at the end of the day that Jones has much of a rich internal life. At least not anymore.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've always thought he fundamentally just doesn't care that much. Alex doesn't care what's true, he cares how he can manipulate the appearance of truth to support his own venal purposes and the underlying truth and falsehood doesn't matter, and this is just as true for him internally as externally.

I just don't think at the end of the day that Jones has much of a rich internal life. At least not anymore.

Yeah I'm not sure asking what Alex believes is even a question that matters. He believes in what gets him money and he seems genuinely incapable of distinguishing reality and fiction. Most of his opinions change every time he says them. Dude thinks the TV is directly talking to him.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I bet Alex thought he could pull the Tucker Carlson "have Kanye say the quite part for me" bit, but didn't realize Tuck had to cut out lots of extra spicy crazy.
Nah, that sounds like work; so he just goes live and has a train wreck.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I'm not sure asking what Alex believes is even a question that matters. He believes in what gets him money and he seems genuinely incapable of distinguishing reality and fiction. Most of his opinions change every time he says them. Dude thinks the TV is directly talking to him.

And I think there’s a cycle of reinforcement here. Jones is incapable of distinguishing reality from fiction because he’s wealthy and comfortable enough that reality doesn’t matter to him anymore so who cares what’s real and what’s fiction. I don’t mean to go easy on the guy but I honestly don’t think he would be this crazy if he wasn’t rich.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pirate Radar posted:

And I think there’s a cycle of reinforcement here. Jones is incapable of distinguishing reality from fiction because he’s wealthy and comfortable enough that reality doesn’t matter to him anymore so who cares what’s real and what’s fiction. I don’t mean to go easy on the guy but I honestly don’t think he would be this crazy if he wasn’t rich.

Jones was a total nut when he was running a public access show and not rich.

Being super rich is like mental illness, but you can also be plain mentally ill.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Klyith posted:

Jones was a total nut when he was running a public access show and not rich.

Being super rich is like mental illness, but you can also be plain mentally ill.

You’re probably right. I don’t know much about his public access days besides that he made up stories about why he had to move towns. I guess I got the impression that he’d only started doing the weird snort-snarling routine about demons he drops into sometimes when he started having a national show.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Didn't Jones grow up rich?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Moto42 posted:

I bet Alex thought he could pull the Tucker Carlson "have Kanye say the quite part for me" bit, but didn't realize Tuck had to cut out lots of extra spicy crazy.
Nah, that sounds like work; so he just goes live and has a train wreck.

Tim Pool got demolished. His nutjob-whatever-the-gently caress-you-call-it cred is in ruins. This bit with AJ will probably wind up as an exhibit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pirate Radar posted:

You’re probably right. I don’t know much about his public access days besides that he made up stories about why he had to move towns. I guess I got the impression that he’d only started doing the weird snort-snarling routine about demons he drops into sometimes when he started having a national show.

Ish.

His craziness has always been present, but it's come in at least 3-4 discrete, distinct forms that I can name off hand so I assume there are more and finer distinctions.

A lot of the demon-magic stuff is pretty recent in the scope of his career, like well after he started endorsing Trump.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't Jones grow up rich?

Yeah his dad is a well-established dentist who was able to get AJ his first job in radio by sponsoring ads on the station

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

waydownLo posted:

Yeah his dad is a well-established dentist who was able to get AJ his first job in radio by sponsoring ads on the station

I knew there was a reason I never trust dentists. :colbert:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

waydownLo posted:

His dad even gave him a shell company he had lying around so Alex started the game with a fully functioning corporate entity with a history of good credit.

Literally as complete a package as you could want.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do a lot of dentists have shell companies lying around?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Pirate Radar posted:

What do you think shell companies are for?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Philthy posted:

The Klan is going to vote for Kanye.

Like. All of them.

Klanye

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Plan R posted:

What do you think shell companies are for?

Something, something… polish? I’m not getting the dentistry joke here

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Alex's dad seems to have some niche approaches to finances. In one of the depositions he goes over some of how he likes money to move around and he's talking about how his salary isn't actually a salary it's paying him to come out of retirement from another company that he happens to own except I can't remember it well and I know there were other steps. It was completely baroque, like someone mechanically describing how insects chew.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Pirate Radar posted:

Something, something… polish? I’m not getting the dentistry joke here

Look if I have to explain it to you I'll probably go to prison.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BigglesSWE posted:

Ye during debates is gonna be fun. At the slightest hint of pushback from anyone he’ll just storm out and huff and puff, because he’s been insulated by yesmen for god knows how long.

ye's men

BigglesSWE posted:

Trump just might, in the usual corporate conservative mindset of “well the black voters are all secured now that we have one of them!”

He definitely won't. Kanye showed up at Mar-a-Lago with his nazi entourage and graciously offered Trump the role of being his VP candidate. Trump has no principles, but I don't think he can ever brook letting a bigger ego into his spotlight.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Incredible.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Incredible.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

IncrYediblYe

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
That messes with my brain trying to pronounce that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's not meant to be pronounced, it's meant to be felt.

Like right in the heart and all.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/class/status/1598396499150635010?s=46&t=s4WQ6WRab2gnw84Eshd1CQ

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Still crazy that this made Alex Jones come across as a somewhat reasonable figure especially for people who aren't that familiar with him. That's something I worry about.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I would be more worried if he hadn’t also just become the world’s most sued man. It’s hard to swing all the way back from that to “kind of a reasonable guy”

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While I don't necessarily think this is what Ye is doing specifically, I think some people will run for US presidency or other office simply because it affords them more protection from pushback on social media on the things they say. Facebook like a week or two ago outright stated that Trump's speech is now immune to being fact-checked explicitly because he's running for office, and some people are definitely brain poisoned by social media enough that they'll run a hopeless ticket simply to insulate them from bans and the like.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

alex jones has personally filed for bankruptcy in the same court his entities have been getting ruthlessly spanked (southern district of Texas, case no 22-35533)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
An arsonist isn't a good person if they're one of the firefighters battling the blaze.

Alex Jones isn't a reasonable person in these clips, he's been tossing these matches for decades and in tomorrow's episode he'll bring the lighter fluid out again. He'll absolutely still get credit for being the voice of reason because that's how he set things up to be portrayed but it's another one of his self serving media manipulation lies designed and produced for that purpose.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Isn't this whole running for president thing just him having a manic episode and he'll either be distracted by something else, or otherwise just won't bother doing any of the actual work that would involve.

Treating it as a real thing that he's actually going to do seems pointless.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Confusedslight posted:

Still crazy that this made Alex Jones come across as a somewhat reasonable figure especially for people who aren't that familiar with him. That's something I worry about.

this is why it always works out in his favor to have the crazies on.

if they are less crazy than him, he gets to ham it up. if they are more crazy, he gets to be the voice of reason. win-win.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Alex Jones wrote a book calling people like George W Bush lizard people... Like 20 years ago.

The crazy has always been there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deptfordx posted:

Isn't this whole running for president thing just him having a manic episode and he'll either be distracted by something else, or otherwise just won't bother doing any of the actual work that would involve.

Treating it as a real thing that he's actually going to do seems pointless.

We said this about Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Xiahou Dun posted:

Alex's dad seems to have some niche approaches to finances. In one of the depositions he goes over some of how he likes money to move around and he's talking about how his salary isn't actually a salary it's paying him to come out of retirement from another company that he happens to own except I can't remember it well and I know there were other steps. It was completely baroque, like someone mechanically describing how insects chew.

I'm still not 100% sure on what he was specifically doing, but there's nothing wrong, per se, with what he was doing. We do this kind of thing for clients ourselves, where the same person owns corporation A and corporation B. In Canada, a loss for tax purposes can only be carried forward for 20 years before it's expired. So if corporation A and corporation B work in a similar field, and A has tax losses but is mostly inactive, B will pay A management fees or something so B can reduce its taxable income and A can use up its losses and not pay taxes before it's ultimately dissolved.

As I understood it, he was basically subcontracting his dad through his dad's former company for a year or so. Again, don't know about what the IRS says, but CRA has rules about that kind of thing.

Having said that, you don't see too many dentists or other practitioners do something like this, but Alex's dad definitely knew what he was doing when it was set up. Involving his parents in all of the various shell and holding companies wasn't just a way for him to hide some assets, his old man definitely had experience with all of this.