Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

magic cactus posted:

:sigh: I'll update the OP. Hey at least I know what I like! Appreciate it though.

Asterios Polyp?

e: looking over my indie shelf for stuff dealing with identity/perception, metafiction, cool cosmic concepts, "Morrisonish" books:
Superspy and Revolver by Kindt
Once and Future by Kieron Gillen is similar to Dept of Truth, only more action
Alex + Ada by Luna and Vaughn
Memetic by Tynion
Miracleman by The Original Writer (lol)

if you want a great read, but a bit of a challenge, check out One Soul by Ray Fawkes. Has a "Morrison omnifiction" style but a very grounded appearance.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

magic cactus posted:

I'll check all this out, do you have a suggestion where to start with ennis war story stuff?

the adventure's in the rifle brigade books are over the top comedic fun. everything else is, pick one, war stories condors kinda stands out to me, as does battlefields night witches. there's at least one more series and this is over 3 or 4 publishers. there are volumes and volumes of the stuff, the earlier stuff reads a little more comic booky whereas the later stuff is a little more of that new cinematic kinda comic booky. it's all good

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

magic cactus posted:

I'll check all this out, do you have a suggestion where to start with ennis war story stuff?

Sara

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Opopanax posted:

If you want cape stuff, Shield or his Avengers run. For the really good poo poo stick to his Image stuff. Pax Romana, Red Wing, and Red Mass for Mars in particular. East of West as well

Space Fish posted:

This is the siren song for Fearscape (sequel: A Dark Interlude) by Ryan O'Sullivan and Andrea Mutti, Art Ops by Shaun Simon and Michael Allred, and The Picture of Everything Else by Dan Watters and Kishore Mohan.

Fearscape: Every so often humanity's best storyteller is recruited to fend off nightmares from entering our realm, but this time an egotistical plagiarist has been recruited and he's too dug in to tell anyone he's a fraud.

Art Ops: Pieces of art are living beings, protected by a clandestine organization known as The Art Operatives. The son of one of their agents is recruited after a spate of art thefts as well as a strange encounter that gives the new kid a prosthetic arm made of... paint? Doom Patrol vibes all around, right down to the Neighborhood of Dads who resist art's pull. (Their rivals ought to be the Forum of Criterion Dads)

The Picture of Everything Else: a killer whose paintings create real-world victims crosses paths with a thief. Visuals include 1800s Paris and the story does Oscar Wilde proud as a soft sequel to Dorian Gray.

GOD IS BED posted:

Asterios Polyp?

e: looking over my indie shelf for stuff dealing with identity/perception, metafiction, cool cosmic concepts, "Morrisonish" books:
Superspy and Revolver by Kindt
Once and Future by Kieron Gillen is similar to Dept of Truth, only more action
Alex + Ada by Luna and Vaughn
Memetic by Tynion
Miracleman by The Original Writer (lol)

if you want a great read, but a bit of a challenge, check out One Soul by Ray Fawkes. Has a "Morrison omnifiction" style but a very grounded appearance.

The Voice of Labor posted:

the adventure's in the rifle brigade books are over the top comedic fun. everything else is, pick one, war stories condors kinda stands out to me, as does battlefields night witches. there's at least one more series and this is over 3 or 4 publishers. there are volumes and volumes of the stuff, the earlier stuff reads a little more comic booky whereas the later stuff is a little more of that new cinematic kinda comic booky. it's all good

These all sound awesome, thanks so much for the recs!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Not really metafictional but if you want some excellent books about mortality and such I recommend

Daytripper
Many deaths of Laila Starr
Death: the high cost of living

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

magic cactus posted:

. I want more weird comics like that. Give me a bunch of philosophical pontificating about reality to read while I wait for the next issue because the person who recommended it to me forgot to mention it's still ongoing. Stuff I've already read:

Mike Carey's Lucifer
Sex Criminals

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Skwirl posted:

Mike Carey's Lucifer
Sex Criminals

I'll update the OP.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I don't have a problem I swear.

Demon by Jason Shiga
Dept H. by Kindt
You've read Morrison's Seaguy I'm guessing?
Planetary
The Red Mother for some weird-ish horror

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

grate deceiver posted:

Demon by Jason Shiga
Dept H. by Kindt
You've read Morrison's Seaguy I'm guessing?
Planetary
The Red Mother for some weird-ish horror

I've read Planetary and Seaguy but the rest are new to me, I'll add them to the list. Thanks!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Asterios Polyp is really great, if you like that Mazzucchelli also did the comic for City of Glass. He also did the art for Daredevil: Born Again, but that's got a very different feel.

Space Fish posted:

This is the siren song for Fearscape (sequel: A Dark Interlude) by Ryan O'Sullivan and Andrea Mutti, Art Ops by Shaun Simon and Michael Allred, and The Picture of Everything Else by Dan Watters and Kishore Mohan.

Fearscape: Every so often humanity's best storyteller is recruited to fend off nightmares from entering our realm, but this time an egotistical plagiarist has been recruited and he's too dug in to tell anyone he's a fraud.

Art Ops: Pieces of art are living beings, protected by a clandestine organization known as The Art Operatives. The son of one of their agents is recruited after a spate of art thefts as well as a strange encounter that gives the new kid a prosthetic arm made of... paint? Doom Patrol vibes all around, right down to the Neighborhood of Dads who resist art's pull. (Their rivals ought to be the Forum of Criterion Dads)

The Picture of Everything Else: a killer whose paintings create real-world victims crosses paths with a thief. Visuals include 1800s Paris and the story does Oscar Wilde proud as a soft sequel to Dorian Gray.

This sounds amazing, I'm going to try it out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My buddy's kid is nearly four years old and my buddy wants to read Spiderman comics to his kid as a bonding thing. Are there any children books by marvel that are good for young kids?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

My buddy's kid is nearly four years old and my buddy wants to read Spiderman comics to his kid as a bonding thing. Are there any children books by marvel that are good for young kids?

Any of the Marvel Adventures stuff is geared younger, and Superhero Squad is specifically towards the really younger kids.

Spidey and his Amazing Friends is newer and for that crowd as well but I haven’t read any of it so can’t give any recommendation

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 27, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you can find it Spidey Super Stories is great for very young kids, but for some reason I don't think they ever reprinted them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

If you can find it Spidey Super Stories is great for very young kids, but for some reason I don't think they ever reprinted them.

Children's Television Workshop is part owner of those so Marvel can't reprint.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Children's Television Workshop is part owner of those so Marvel can't reprint.

I figure they could work out a deal so CTW gets a chunk.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My kid liked the Spidey series (Robbie Thompson not the chibi Spidey thing that is out now but a lighter take on high school Spiderman) but that is maybe more after the others series.

If comics are being read to 4 year olds I have to go with the Power Pack stuff (not the 80 rear end series but the more recent short runs). There is a 4 issue set of Spiderman and Power Pack as one of those.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 27, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Got about 10 days of Marvel Unlimited left. Is there a really good 6-12 issue story arc/mini-series from the last few years that I should read? I'm up to date with X-Men.

(I was reading Marvel comics with my friends and we have jumped over to DC. Between that and my normal monthly comics, I don't have time to read more stuff and keeping Marvel Unlimited isn't worth it at the moment.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Got about 10 days of Marvel Unlimited left. Is there a really good 6-12 issue story arc/mini-series from the last few years that I should read? I'm up to date with X-Men.

(I was reading Marvel comics with my friends and we have jumped over to DC. Between that and my normal monthly comics, I don't have time to read more stuff and keeping Marvel Unlimited isn't worth it at the moment.)

Nextwave, Spider-Man and the X-Men, Young Avengers volume 2, Fantastic Four 1234 by Grant Morrison, Iron Man:Extremis

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Nextwave, Spider-Man and the X-Men, Young Avengers volume 2, Fantastic Four 1234 by Grant Morrison, Iron Man:Extremis

From the last few years! I've read all of those by this point. :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anything Ewing did

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah ewing's first defenders book with rodriguez is a great mini. it better all be up by now

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, that's right up my alley.

I have Matt Fraction's Defenders run. This will definitely be better than that!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Black Bolt by Saladin Ahmed. Great series, 12 issues. Even if you're not an Inhumans fan. Actually, especially if you're not an Inhumans fan. It's great.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Uthor posted:

Death of Dr. Strange, Spider-Man Life Story, Ewing's Guardians of the Galaxy, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for more similar to Luther Strode so humourous ultra violence comics I guess?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You might want to check out I Hate Fairyland? Definitely a different art style and maybe falls more on humor than violence, but they're both there. It "ended" and just restarted, but you can probably just read the original run and be happy (there's only one issue of the new run so far).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It restarted? Sweet! But I don't remember if I kept up with it until the end of the first run...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, first issue came out a week or two ago.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I don't know if this is the thread for unsolicited recommendations, but ALL AGAINST ALL #1 comes out tomorrow and it's got my highest recommendation. It's ALIEN if the humans were aliens and the xenomorph was Tarzan.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 6, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

More like Nailbiter please. Already read through hack/slash, harrow county, nice house, something killing children, and locke and key. So I guess horror mystery?

Endless Mike posted:

You might want to check out I Hate Fairyland?

This was definitely really good and exactly what I wanted to read. Thanks for this recommendation

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 9, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

More like Nailbiter please. Already read through hack/slash, harrow county, nice house, something killing children, and locke and key. So I guess horror mystery?

Look up the Hill House stuff at DC, there's a bunch of good horror minis from the last few years

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I need Xmas comic gifts for my cousins' kids!

One cousin has two kids, aged almost-11 and 8.5. She said they like "comedy and fantasy". The younger likes Dog Man, but already has a ton of that. Bone obviously pops into my head, but I don't want to get sucked into buying another set of Bone over how many years it'll take to get all of the books. I'm looking for more one-shots or standalone story arcs for each of the kids.

The other cousin has an 11.5 year old boy. Talking with my sis, she said he's been super into the idea of making movies and Jaws/Jurassic Park. He also seems to be into musicals. Unfortunately, I'm specifically looking for something "boy" oriented 'cause my "liberal" cousin puts so much poo poo on him for cross-dressing and liking to wear make up and I'm sure that side would be annoyed if he got something oriented for "girls".

My sister's kids I got covered. :flashfact: (Bone, Lumberjanes, gotta start a series for the youngest one...)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 10, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

can you maybe sneak in something about theatre or one of those books where the hero feels free to be themselves when they're suited up? like, a real clandestine nod to the kid that it's o.k. to be themselves which will slip under the radar?

e: wow, I was about that age when I read the enigma, but my parents tended to be cool

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, I'm totally cools sneaking something in. I doubt their going to read the book or anything that intrusive. I just don't know what would be good for kids that age!

I was about that age when I started getting into Stephen King and definitely remember some of the "adult" scenes that would happen in his books on top of the horror stuff.

Edit: reading that back, I'm talking about two families. One with two kids, the other with just that boy. So, I need three gifts. Sorry!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 10, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Claremont era X-Men would probably be great for an 11.5 year old possibly dealing with gender identity questions without their parents freaking out about it. Or a lot of other X-Men stuff in general.

I don't know what specific collections would be best though.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I lump everyone under 25 in to the same category, so I don't know if it works for 11.5, but Die?
It is mostly about adults trapped in a D&D-ish world, but the end tackles some gender identity feels.
It's probably too adult in the "people talking about being adults" sense,

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Uthor posted:

The other cousin has an 11.5 year old boy. Talking with my sis, she said he's been super into the idea of making movies and Jaws/Jurassic Park. He also seems to be into musicals. Unfortunately, I'm specifically looking for something "boy" oriented 'cause my "liberal" cousin puts so much poo poo on him for cross-dressing and liking to wear make up and I'm sure that side would be annoyed if he got something oriented for "girls".

What about Chip Zdarsky's Jughead? It's about older teenagers, which kids tend to like, and it's got a real fantastical bent.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Claremont era X-Men would probably be great for an 11.5 year old possibly dealing with gender identity questions without their parents freaking out about it. Or a lot of other X-Men stuff in general.

I don't know what specific collections would be best though.

Keeping this one in the back of my mind, but I'm not sure it's something he'd be into, at least right now.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I lump everyone under 25 in to the same category, so I don't know if it works for 11.5, but Die?
It is mostly about adults trapped in a D&D-ish world, but the end tackles some gender identity feels.
It's probably too adult in the "people talking about being adults" sense,

I really need to finish reading this comic. But knowing the kid, it's a little mature for him.

Cloks posted:

What about Chip Zdarsky's Jughead? It's about older teenagers, which kids tend to like, and it's got a real fantastical bent.

This jumped out at me. Feels about right for him. Thanks!

For the other two, I did a quick search for recommendations and Adventure Time jumped out at me. I also saw one for The Tea Dragon Society, which I've never heard of but OMG the art is so nice I'm going to read it for myself.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

The Tea Dragon Society, which I've never heard of but OMG the art is so nice I'm going to read it for myself.

Everyone I know who read book one tore through the trilogy and wanted to read more just like it.
(pssst, keep Aquicorn Cove at the ready)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Keeping this one in the back of my mind, but I'm not sure it's something he'd be into, at least right now.

I just listen to a lot of podcasts about X-Men and a bunch of adult queer people keep talking about reading their parent's or older sibling's collection of Claremont X-Men at about that age being an eye opening experience.