Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

When I was a kid and all the way up into my teenage years, I seriously considered going into a career as a locomotive engineer

Boy, am I glad I never went down that road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

Hopefully I'm not oversimplifying, but as far as I can tell, it's not over the amount of sick leave time they have. It's because of the lovely attendance policy/advanced notification required of the railroad companies. Here's a good summary: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/railroad-strike-negotiations-held-up-by-battle-over-sick-time-policies.html

I never said, nor do I believe, they were "outside agitators". I think they are assholes who naively believe they are fighting for social justice, when they are actually hurting the progression.

Nor am I complaining about pearl clutching. I'm stating why the riots hurt the city that I live in. Which is why I'm pushing back against the "BS" that Fister Roboto is trying to push

You should read Fister more carefully because they're not saying rioting helped, they're saying blaming riots/negative consequences as a protest on those with legitimate grievances doesn't help those with the legit grievances who were protesting.

Civil unrest will always bring those who are there just for the chaos. It doesn't mean those with legitimate greviences are responsible for the chaos. The chaos in the rail strike would be the results of rail supplies falling apart, it wouldn't be the fault of the striking workers. The Chauvin protests lead to riots, the riots were not the fault of the protestors.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 2, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Gumball Gumption posted:

You should read Fister more carefully because they're not saying rioting helped, they're saying blaming riots/negative consequences as a protest on those with legitimate grievances doesn't help those with the legit grievances who were protesting.

Civil unrest will always bring those who are there just for the chaos. It doesn't mean those with legitimate greviences are responsible for the chaos. The chaos in the rail strike would be the results of rail supplies falling apart, it wouldn't be the fault of the striking workers. The Chauvin protests lead to riots, the riots were not the fault of the protestors.

You should read my post that you're literally quoting more closely. I am clearly stating that

Kalit posted:

I'm stating why the riots hurt the city that I live in.

I never stated that Fister claimed that rioting helped. But they clearly stated rioting didn't hurt:

Fister Roboto posted:

It's exactly the same as the "well I agree with you but you're hurting your cause by rioting" BS during the Floyd protests.

which I 100% disagree with for my previously stated reasons. I hope that clears your misinterpretation of my literal words :rolleyes:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 2, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

You should read my post that you're literally quoting more closely. I am clearly stating that

I never stated that Fister claimed that rioting helped. But they clearly stated rioting didn't hurt:

which I 100% disagree with for my previously stated reasons. I hope that clears your misinterpretation of my literal words :rolleyes:

Wait, your point actually is that the rioters were hurting their own cause? Yeah, good luck.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Did someone post the Something Awful's very own Well There's Your Problem crossover with the Work Stoppage podcast that deep dives onto how the rail system got to where it is, and what a piece of poo poo the PSR is? If not, it's a banger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69A_UCdikE8

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1598498165530968069?s=20&t=8Gfa0br3XFmWUyyWOug81A

Our most Pro-Labor President ever

Union works across the country are looking at this moment and probably won't pull the lever for any Democrats who voted for this in the future.

And there's a real chance that a devastating shutdown could still happen because the RR keeps loving up and the government won't do anything to stop them.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

TaintedBalance posted:

Did someone post the Something Awful's very own Well There's Your Problem crossover with the Work Stoppage podcast that deep dives onto how the rail system got to where it is, and what a piece of poo poo the PSR is? If not, it's a banger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69A_UCdikE8

As an asexual goon I'd love to not see that awful podcast tied to these forums because those people think asexual people being raped is a funny joke;

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

theCalamity posted:

Union works across the country are looking at this moment and probably won't pull the lever for any Democrats who voted for this in the future.

Yep, I’m one of them

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm amazed so many R's voted for the extra sick days in the Senate. I saw Hawley's name, so I'm assuming that they're mostly from the burgeoning nativist/white nationalist/Tucker Carlson faction of the GOP.

How many more D votes did we need for the sick days?

Twitter's going off on Manchin right now. He was the only D in the senate to vote against it. But is primarying him even a realistic solution, as in do we have anyone on the bench in WV that could do it and not just hand the seat to a Republican in the general?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Three is so many?

For our wonderfully bipartisan friends across the aisle?

Yeah. Though, I doubt we would have seen those votes if they would have made the difference.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 2, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm amazed so many R's voted for the extra sick days in the Senate. I saw Hawley's name, so I'm assuming that they're mostly from the burgeoning nativist/white nationalist/Tucker Carlson faction of the GOP.

Manchin was the only D in the senate to vote against it, but is primarying him even a realistic solution, as in do we have anyone on the bench in WV that could do it and not just hand the seat to a Republican in the general?

Three is so many?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

-Blackadder- posted:

At least 11. The R votes were hall passes because they knew it wouldn't hit 60- an opportunity to try to gently caress with the Dems as a wedge.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

There isn't going to be a single move from any union regarding this and anyone expecting wildcat strikes is about to be disappointed, much like how Twitter is still online after firing 95% of the staff somehow. Reality isn't a movie and this is America, we're experts at kicking the can down the road and straddling the fence to maintain normalcy.

A rail strike and the consequences of that would violate that normalcy and nobody, not even the workers getting hosed over royally here, will dare interrupt that normalcy. They will sigh and go "ok whatever" and go back to their lovely job with no sick days because they would rather keel over on the job dead than be the guy who disrupted the normalcy and get shunned for it.

Instead we will watch it collapse very slowly over the next 10 years as people retire out, die of old age/covid, etc. and nobody replaces them at the proper rate while we prop the industry up with stopgaps and temporary fixes until it finally quietly bleeds out for good.

Anyone expecting anything exciting is just going to be disappointed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

... "sex culture"?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mischievous Mink posted:

As an asexual goon I'd love to not see that awful podcast tied to these forums because those people think asexual people being raped is a funny joke;

Yeah, two thirds of Well There's Your Problem's permanent hosts are utter repugnant shitbags who get creepily horny over mass casualty events, and the remaining third is DoNotEat01, an otherwise decent guy who's continually tarnished by having to stick up for Alice and Liam when they keep showing their asses to anyone with working eyes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

-Blackadder- posted:

Twitter's going off on Manchin right now. He was the only D in the senate to vote against it. But is primarying him even a realistic solution, as in do we have anyone on the bench in WV that could do it and not just hand the seat to a Republican in the general?

For our wonderfully bipartisan friends across the aisle?

Yeah. Though, I doubt we would have seen those votes if they would have made the difference.

Since the bill was split, we would have needed all the Republicans who voted to spite Joe Biden, the ghost of Unions Past to possess Manchin, plus the materialization of 5 new pro-union Democratic Senators from the ether.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mischievous Mink posted:

Alice just tweets every random thought that comes into her brain and has been canceled about 20 times over for various tweets but I honestly can't be bothered to be bothered by them. She's funny and a good podcaster and that's it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There should be public conversations about removing carriers liability limitations. There should be public conversations about the safety risks of intentional understaffing on rail. There should be public conversations about public custodianship of them rail lines in the face of gross mismanagement of the rail carriers.

Instead we aren’t going to do anything at all

This is the only thing possible at this stage of American government and capitalism. It could get worse, or they can do nothing.

Actual solutions aren't on the table. That's not a thing that's done anymore. That ended in the 80's, at latest.

Speaking of, now that Biden has broken a major transit infrastructure strike, can we call him "Reaganesque"?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Alice just tweets every random thought that comes into her brain and has been canceled about 20 times over for various tweets but I honestly can't be bothered to be bothered by them. She's funny and a good podcaster and that's it.

Well lucky you for not being one of the types of queer that she thinks being correctively raped is no big deal for I guess?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jaxyon posted:

Speaking of, now that Biden has broken a major transit infrastructure strike, can we call him "Reaganesque"?

He's been taken by the Ice Cream instead of the jellybean, and Mr T isn't a propaganda arm of his administration. So we're not quite Reganesque yet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

-Blackadder- posted:

Are the people going off on him from West Virginia or are they from literally anywhere else?

If they are from West Virginia then the answer is "maybe" because apparently the people who elected Manchin specifically because he makes the democratic party miserable and votes like a Republican a most of the time have changed their minds about what they want in an elected official.

If they are from literally anywhere else the answer is "gently caress no" Manchin is the best Democratic party can do in West Virginia, trying to primary him might actually make him win even harder because it would show how much the Democratic party hates him and the voters in West Virginia find that delightful. If the Democrats did find a way to keep him off the ballet then a Republican will immediately win because from what I've heard there isn't a Democratic candidate they could replace him with in WV that's even half as popular as he is. Have fun never getting any Judges appointed!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rail workers should do what nurses did during the pandemic. Quit and become contractors for 10x the pay. They could even form their own agency.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

What you needed for the sick days to pass was for the house Dems not to do this special process crap and just have the 7 days as a normal amendment. So that the options are 7 days or a rail strike in the Senate. This special procedure was cowardice designed to appear to do something while not actually doing it, theater. While the opportunity existed to vote for hardline rail company position it was not possible for good things to happen.

And the correct response is a work to rule action by the way. hold the company fully to the laws and rules on their own books, clock straight out where the trains are at the end of a shift, full inspection before the train starts moving, etc.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 2, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

At least 11. The R votes were hall passes because they knew it wouldn't hit 60- an opportunity to try to gently caress with the Dems as a wedge.

The end result is still that Democrats and Republicans worked hand-in-hand to override the will of the workers and a mechanism of direct democracy. Any attempt to spin it any other way is just that - spin.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lib and let die posted:

The end result is still that Democrats and Republicans worked hand-in-hand to override the will of the workers and a mechanism of direct democracy. Any attempt to spin it any other way is just that - spin.

Since Democrats and Republicans are not a monolith, to call them "Democrats and Republicans" is a gross over-simplification and betrays either bad faith or stark lack of basic civic knowledge.

To be accurate, you have to say "Congresspersons and Senators who were variously elected to their positions after having finished first in primaries held under the auspices of the Democratic or Republican parties, and are typically referred to with a "(D)" or a "(R)" after their names to commemorate the primary they had completed".

Always remember - Congresspersons and Senators are individuals and are not bound to, nor are they representative of, the positions of "Democrats" or "Republicans".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

fizzy posted:

Always remember - Congresspersons and Senators are individuals and are not bound to, nor are they representative of, the positions of "Democrats" or "Republicans".

My god, the perfect post/avatar combo finally emerged.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mischievous Mink posted:

Not sure why that's your take away but you're kinda proving her point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

A lot of Presidents have broken transportation strikes.

Only Reagan has actually dissolved a government employee union.

Nobody has been able to reach Reagan-esque heights since then.

George W. Bush said he was going to kill all government employee unions, but then he accidentally created a new union because he broke out the INS and a few other agencies from the main AFGE union and they formed their own union for border patrol agents.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Remember the big deal Florida made about taking it to Disney

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1598649545851904001

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Remember the big deal Florida made about taking it to Disney

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1598649545851904001

For those that don’t remember, this is probably because if Florida did dissolve the Reedy special district, it would be on the hook for approx 1 billion in debt from bonds it would have to assume from Disney, not because of any change of heart from Republicans or DeSantis

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ulta posted:

For those that don’t remember, this is probably because if Florida did dissolve the Reedy special district, it would be on the hook for approx 1 billion in debt from bonds it would have to assume from Disney, not because of any change of heart from Republicans or DeSantis

It was even worse. The 4 counties that surround Disney would have been on the hook for the $1.7 billion in bond debt and would need to raise an additional $105 million every year to pay for the utilities and infrastructure. One of the counties was relatively small and was planning on raising property taxes by 175% just to make the payments and issuing a one-time $1,000 fee to all taxpayers in the county to pay for the debt.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1598498165530968069?s=20&t=8Gfa0br3XFmWUyyWOug81A

Our most Pro-Labor President ever

And there's a real chance that a devastating shutdown could still happen because the RR keeps loving up and the government won't do anything to stop them.

I just hope no one is surprised by this, how this all played out could have been predicted just by looking at his godawful 50 year long political career.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 2, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ulta posted:

not just that but, as much as it absolutely squicks people out that disney effectively operates their own county-level government, the corporate controlled county-level government actually makes sense and is efficiently run with positive outcomes

too many people just absolutely short circuit at the idea of a corporation with its own pocket local government apparatus and can't go any further than that. disney charges themselves more in property taxes than they would be allowed to if RCID didn't exist, and all their financial moves are transparent and subject to public review, to the same standards of other special districts. like the idea of a corporation not abusing its privileges to sabotage people just blows so many minds that you end up with people on the left being all "actually, in this case i agree with trump jr. about how we need to harm the corporation for sticking up for LGBTQ kids"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was even worse. The 4 counties that surround Disney would have been on the hook for the $1.7 billion in bond debt and would need to raise an additional $105 million every year to pay for the utilities and infrastructure. One of the counties was relatively small and was planning on raising property taxes by 175% just to make the payments and issuing a one-time $1,000 fee to all taxpayers in the county to pay for the debt.

that's a ridiculous amount of debt for any but a handful of the most populous counties to carry, but in this case it kinda makes sense given that the county-equivalent in question is a privately owned resort property that sees tens/hundreds of thousands of visitors but has no real permanent residents to underwrite local infrastructure with property taxes. dissolving RCID means that the low-income residents of the local area get to subsidize infrastructure for the people who can afford to travel to disney world, keeping RCID means that disney can just pay themselves the tax money necessary to do so without any burden to the people who live near to but do not regularly visit disney world

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 2, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Who is this debt owed to?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gort posted:

Anyone who has ever bought a bond from Reedy Creek/Disney.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

banks, it's all bond debt. it is common for governments to sell bonds to finance infrastructure improvements, with the promise that the bonds will be repaid by future tax revenues. when econonomists talk about treasury notes and whatnot, they're talking about united states federal government bonds, which don't provide a whole lot of return but are highly desirable because the only thing that will stop these bonds from being repaid is a horrible society-killing apocalypse

a billion dollars in bond debt is an absolutely stupid amount of debt for a local government to carry, there's like no way you can finance that using typical local government revenues unless your county is like manhattan, cook county, LA county, etc. except, in this case, the local government is backstopped by a multinational corporation, the bonds go to finance infrastructure for a major tourist destination, and disney can effectively dial the taxes they charge themselves up and down as necessary to service the debt, so the bond rating on this debt is top tier and folks will happily buy these bonds

if RCID, disney's pocket government is dissolved, then the local residents get to repay the debts disney issued and disney planned to repay on its own

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 2, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also you can't just say "well we simply aren't going to repay this debt, sorry" without blowing up your bond rating AKA institutional credit score, which has some extremely negative outcomes for your ability to finance construction of things like schools and so on. its just a very, very bad idea to try this

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Please do not let perfect be the enemy of good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it is neither good nor perfect to raise taxes on the poor for the sake of supporting a fascist showman's political stunts, sorry. even if it does make disney slightly annoyed. its simply not worth it from any perspective

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
biden is signing the union bill today/right now, yes? how soon after does the contract take effect? im just curious how long itll be before we can see the unions full reaction of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

biden is signing the union bill today/right now, yes? how soon after does the contract take effect? im just curious how long itll be before we can see the unions full reaction of it

Contract should come into effect right away. And it is set to expire in 2024, so they will be right back to where they are now on the points system in about a year.