Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
we have photo evidence that its not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Well that's an eye opener and no mistake.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

He didn't specify what words, (just implied that it's the ones that tweet quoted), so I'm betting it's actually "Share the load"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think an awesome read is "Iron Dream". Is a novel writen by Norman Spinrad in the style of Hitler. Has if Hitler wrote it.
Reading it is like chewing on LSD fungus.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Data Graham posted:

I keep wondering whether it's recency bias or what that makes everything since 2016 seem SO loving STUPID. I keep vacillating between "we just weren't so online back then" and "no, people are actually a lot dumber now and lmao at the people we put in positions of power"

But listen to this bit from part 5 of the Behind the Bastards Kissinger episode:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/part-five-kissinger/id1373812661?i=1000555613091

Skip to 1:02:30 and it's the damnedest blend of laughing so hard I almost swerved into a ditch at how dumb and awful our leaders have always been and thinking "well no, just being a drunk is hardly in the same league as loving ... posting swastikas with Elon Musk on Alex Jones' show and being Donald Trump in the White House god drat what is this reality"

I do think it's new to have it so immediately. In the past you had to wait til the person croaked and a diary or biography was released. Seeing Kanye v Musk happen as they both post through it and Kanye shares his private messages in real time is crazy.

Also I at least do believe leaders and people have always been this way, the cheap seats to watch and get a glimpse at a few of them have just gotten downright affordable to us non-historians.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Mozi posted:

hitler = MAGA (make austria germany again)
trump = MAGA (make america great again)
ye = MAGA (make Adolf great again)

Fixed that for you.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Like just the words? Not the book?

Also I'm a huge Tolkien nerd and even I don't have that poo poo on my "bedside table", jesus christ this dude is embarassing

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Well, I see that some double digit number of GBS goons joined my mastodon instance, so, cool, now I am terrified and I am following all of you to see how many goatmen show up.

Like 1/3 of my federated feed is people giving advice to new server admins who are seeing bills for the first time, and people suggesting cheaper hosting. It's a little hard to track exactly how fast it's all growing and I definitely don't think it's going to replace Twitter for the general internet, but it seems to be doing that for me.

I wish Dril would just parrot everything to Mastodon, as well as a few others I used to follow who have established their mastodon presence but not used it for much.

Suppose I could make a bot that would parrot Dril's tweets to Mastodon. Lonnie would probably sue me, if it ever got enough users to be noticed?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tei posted:

I think an awesome read is "Iron Dream". Is a novel writen by Norman Spinrad in the style of Hitler. Has if Hitler wrote it.
Reading it is like chewing on LSD fungus.

obligatory: https://theironpill.tumblr.com/

I did not know the Iron Dream context when I first read this and was deeply confused that I seemed to, all at the same time, be reading something that was a deeply toxic attack on progressive culture, while also being so clearly over the top that I couldn't take it seriously.

It's basically Iron Dream reimagined for a world that knows what 4chan is, I think it's pretty funny in places.

TulliusCicero posted:

Also I'm a huge Tolkien nerd and even I don't have that poo poo on my "bedside table", jesus christ this dude is embarassing

neither does elon musket, remember.

The thing that bothers me about that photo is, that end table probably cost more than all my furniture combined but when I look at it I just think "generic hotel decor". FFS, you're rich as gently caress. If I had that much money my entire house would be lined with thick sheets of hardwood and I would have a "forest room" and stuff. Toilets carved out of thick tree trunks.

Lonnie need not share my weird wood-loving aesthetic, but he seems to like "Marriot_style_sheet.css" for everything and I am :raise:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 2, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fun parallel between Elon and Kanye is this "judge me by what I say not what I do, and also say".

E, for one example, with his triumphant notes on free speech while promising pay to play, K with "I love everybody" while paling around with a misogynist racist and spreading scapegoating historically bad hate takes. And both seem to feel that people pointing these contradictions out is evidence in of itself they're onto something, because they're v smart.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cabbages and Kings posted:

obligatory: https://theironpill.tumblr.com/

I did not know the Iron Dream context when I first read this and was deeply confused that I seemed to, all at the same time, be reading something that was a deeply toxic attack on progressive culture, while also being so clearly over the top that I couldn't take it seriously.

It's basically Iron Dream reimagined for a world that knows what 4chan is, I think it's pretty funny in places.

neither does elon musket, remember.

The thing that bothers me about that photo is, that end table probably cost more than all my furniture combined but when I look at it I just think "generic hotel decor". FFS, you're rich as gently caress. If I had that much money my entire house would be lined with thick sheets of hardwood and I would have a "forest room" and stuff. Toilets carved out of thick tree trunks.

Lonnie need not share my weird wood-loving aesthetic, but he seems to like "Marriot_style_sheet.css" for everything and I am :raise:

His taste for an extremely wealthy person is extremely basic bitch

Like all of his poo poo looks like a Holiday Inn aesthetic. The man fundamentally refuses to spend a lot from his hoard.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Well, I see that some double digit number of GBS goons joined my mastodon instance, so, cool, now I am terrified and I am following all of you to see how many goatmen show up.

Like 1/3 of my federated feed is people giving advice to new server admins who are seeing bills for the first time, and people suggesting cheaper hosting. It's a little hard to track exactly how fast it's all growing and I definitely don't think it's going to replace Twitter for the general internet, but it seems to be doing that for me.

I wish Dril would just parrot everything to Mastodon, as well as a few others I used to follow who have established their mastodon presence but not used it for much.

Suppose I could make a bot that would parrot Dril's tweets to Mastodon. Lonnie would probably sue me, if it ever got enough users to be noticed?

why would you join something that wants to be twitter?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing that bothers me about that photo is, that end table probably cost more than all my furniture combined

Probably not, he's reportedly incredibly cheap-rear end with things like his house.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not his house.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
All the uncleaned away stains upon stains from previous cans

16 individual can stains at minimum.

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 2, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

ilmucche posted:

why would you join something that wants to be twitter?

I don't think it ever wanted to be twitter and it certainly doesn't want to be the current incarnation of twitter.

I like having a customizable feed of content from various science bloggers, software people, stuff related to interests and work. Twitter served that need pretty well for me, but I nuked my account as soon as Lonnie bought it because I don't want to give him any money, either directly or by engaging with the platform.

That said, if someone else decides "my takeaway from all this is that twitter actually always sucked and I am just done with anything like it", that's fine, social media overall is something I find pretty toxic and hard to navigate in ways that aren't detrimental to me.

TulliusCicero posted:

Like all of his poo poo looks like a Holiday Inn aesthetic. The man fundamentally refuses to spend a lot from his hoard.

unless it's blowing more money than I'll ever see by orders of magnitude I can't grasp to buy a socmedia network at a deliberately inflated price to own the libs?

it is weird though, maybe he thinks it makes him more relatable or something. I just assume that most super rich people that don't have their own super strong weird aesthetic choices, hire designers and stuff so that when they are pictured in their homes they are obviously surrounded by the trappings of wealth. A lot of Lonnie's pics literally look like they could be inside a holiday inn. I stay at the Holiday Inn sometimes but that does not make him more relatable to me.

goatface posted:

It's not his house.

If it's a hotel room, I have stayed in hotel rooms with substantially nicer decor and a feeling of opulence, and I do not have very much money. The can stains make it clear he's been there Some Days.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's someone else's house he's borrowing. He's damaging his friend's furniture.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Most amazing case of main character syndrome I’ve seen in recent memory

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PITY BONER posted:

From what I remember hearing on the Behind the Bastards Elon episodes, he was bullied as a kid for being socially awkward or something, and it screwed him up. He might be the richest man now, but has always been the nerd that people poo poo on and make fun. Since he has proven he's still socially awkward/stunted, it makes sense that his idea of being cool is also something awkward.

He made fun of a kids dad dying then got pushed down the stairs b3cause of it. Elon was always the bullier

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

wow i guess elon musk is capable of doing one good thing

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Bitch still has his Halloween pic up because he honestly thinks it looks cool

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Gonna laugh if it turned out he just typed "elon musks bedside table" into an AI image generator and got that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

dr_rat posted:

Gonna laugh if it turned out he just typed "elon musks bedside table" into an AI image generator and got that.

there are legible, actual words in that picture

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol fun few pages of some hot takes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MrQwerty posted:

Most recent public AI is getting very good at words. That said it's missing any signs the coke cans all look uniform and normal AI is very bad at that.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

wait a couple weeks

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2211.01324.pdf

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Frank Frank posted:

That begs the question, who's Elon's Frodo?

Let's not kid our selves Elon is a huge Smegal

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

How do you do fellow admin
https://straylight.expectnomore.net/@shoeberto
Happy to lend dumb rear end advice if you need any, been running an instance for a while now.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

goatface posted:

It's not his house.

goatface posted:

Tai posted:

lol fun few pages of some hot takes

Just kiss him already JFC

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

shoeberto posted:

How do you do fellow admin
https://straylight.expectnomore.net/@shoeberto
Happy to lend dumb rear end advice if you need any, been running an instance for a while now.

gibson reference in the name? Cool. I once bought a CD by a band I'd never heard of simply because they were called Straylight run. I will add you and reach out if I get confused. Seems like pretty normal modern webapp mgmt poo poo at a glance.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

So now that 4chan-in-a-gimp-suit, A.K.A. Kanye West, got perma'd, what's gonna be the dominant narrative on why Twitter is anti-far-right-extremist? Especially in light of the new owner's insistence on consistently signaling to the far-right?

Obviously there's already dogwhistling about how "the globalists forced Elon to do this", but, as Elon reinstates Twitter 1.0 policies one-by-one as major figures post stupid, crazy poo poo, what's the justification gonna be from the dipshits?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

The Gaffer would have a lot to say to lots of people, he’d be on Twitter in a heartbeat talking gardening until some fool crossed his path…and then it’s all :getin:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Elon Musk has big Ted Sandyman energy.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Decon posted:

So now that 4chan-in-a-gimp-suit, A.K.A. Kanye West, got perma'd, what's gonna be the dominant narrative on why Twitter is anti-far-right-extremist? Especially in light of the new owner's insistence on consistently signaling to the far-right?

Obviously there's already dogwhistling about how "the globalists forced Elon to do this", but, as Elon reinstates Twitter 1.0 policies one-by-one as major figures post stupid, crazy poo poo, what's the justification gonna be from the dipshits?

I think he only got a 12 hour probe and the narrative is...well, they don't appear to be happy
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1598650966684860417
Bear in mind this will pass the nexy time Elon tweets some random monkey cheese crying-laughing emoji about how banks are anti free speech for asking interest on their loans or something

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

A farting mink posted:

Look mate, I'm not handing anything to loving Hitler here. I have relatives who died in Nazi prison camps. Hitler managed to do some good things for Germany but it was mostly because of all the hate he spewed. Unlike Kanye I'm not a big fan of loving Hitler.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol jfc just ban this idiot

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Very technically speaking, that's not his house.

I think the explanation rhymes with Snacks Broad.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Decon posted:

what's the justification gonna be from the dipshits?
chess not checkers
he has to pretend because of threats from the (((globalists)))
epic lul pwning of the libs by showing he isn’t biased

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Philonius posted:

Fixed that for you.

:tipshat: much obliged!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Decon posted:

they're already turning on him because his excuse (kkkanye was inciting violence) doesn't hold water for the right. a showdown like this one was inevitable, it was just a matter of time.

love your work, @israel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Trillhouse posted:

they're already turning on him because his excuse (kkkanye was inciting violence) doesn't hold water for the right. a showdown like this one was inevitable, it was just a matter of time.

love your work, @israel

Well that topless picture of Elon does incite some incredibly violent thoughts in me too. Good shoot