Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Are there any multiplayer fps games where you don't have to rely on teammates? No battle royales, COD, TF2, OW2, or any 4 vs 1 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Was SPAZ2 good? I remember having a lot of fun in SPAZ1 but I wasn't sure if the transition to 3D worked or not.

I kinda bounced off My Time at Portia for some reason. Maybe it was still early access? I think the characters didn't quite resonate with me.

SPAZ 2 was okay but doesn't play anything like SPAZ 1. I think I picked it up for :10bux: and it was well worth that.

The characters in MTAP are still, even after release, quite clunky and generally barebones compared to others in the genre and is more of a management/exploration game than a city interaction one. My Time at Sandrock, their second game in early access, is much better about filling out the social side if that's more your thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Altared State posted:

Are there any multiplayer fps games where you don't have to rely on teammates? No battle royales, COD, TF2, OW2, or any 4 vs 1 games.

Multiplayer without teammates? That feels like you're looking for classic deathmatch and pretty much nothing else. Have you checked if Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 still have servers? ...only problem there being anyone playing those games in 2022 is probably hideously good at them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There's Quake Champions, which is free. It's just Quake 3 style deathmatch with hats I guess.

I played a few rounds of it the other day. Wowwwww I am fuckin bad at these games now.

I am looking for a game where I kind of don't do much. Bardbarian is kind of an example of this, where I just run around but it's my dudes who do all the work. Or, I was playing Legion TD 2 which seemed fun for a while. I like just sort of making dudes and having dudes do poo poo. Not a city builder... something more like a roguelite?

credburn fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 29, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Totally Accurate Battle Simulator

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vampire Survivors

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Shine posted:

Please immediately play theHunter: Call of the Wild. It's incredibly chill, like ridiculously so. Tracking an animal and making a clean shot taps into that same sense of satisfaction as pulling off a clean snipe in Hitman or Arma, except with no real consequence for missing beyond whatever annoyance you feel with yourself. Whatever, go find another deer. Man, these trees are loving pretty.

Don't let the amount of DLC put you off; the base game has many hours of content, and the DLC is basically "I'd like to mess around with niche weapons or new locales or have a dog" stuff that is neat, but not essential. I played the base game for a good 15 hours before I delved into the DLC.

this has been great and thanks for the rec but i haaaaaate trying to hunt coyotes.

Okay these goddamn ducks could shut up while I'm waiting for a deer

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 29, 2022

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Altared State posted:

Echoing the suggestion of classic deathmatch games. My fave rn is Diabotical on EGS. Big big casual shooters can often lean this way too. Halo or Battlefield's big fights are kinda designed around being able to just waddle around and get kills and that be helpful. (Both are on gamepass too which is handy)

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Was SPAZ2 good? I remember having a lot of fun in SPAZ1 but I wasn't sure if the transition to 3D worked or not.

It was alright. I liked SPaZ 1 better, but SPaZ 2 tried adding a bunch of new things, some worked, some didn’t, net effect more complexity that wasn’t really justified. It did add the requested territory system.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Multiplayer without teammates? That feels like you're looking for classic deathmatch and pretty much nothing else. Have you checked if Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 still have servers? ...only problem there being anyone playing those games in 2022 is probably hideously good at them.

Anything not really objective based where you have to rely on others. I like TDM but the only popular game I know of that has it is COD and I don't want to give Activision money.

Macdoo posted:

Echoing the suggestion of classic deathmatch games. My fave rn is Diabotical on EGS. Big big casual shooters can often lean this way too. Halo or Battlefield's big fights are kinda designed around being able to just waddle around and get kills and that be helpful. (Both are on gamepass too which is handy)

I tried Halo Infinite when it came out and found it boring after awhile. I'll try Diabotocal and possibly a Battlefield game since I have gamepass.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Games good for a no mouse old rear end laptop?

Win10 but poopy cpu & grfx card.

Have a mouse ofc but would be playing pretty relaxed & laying in bed.

Low hardware req city builder, mgnt, turn based types I suppose would work best right?

Open to whatever comes to mind really. Cheers!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

i3lueHorneT posted:

Low hardware req city builder, mgnt, turn based types I suppose would work best right?

DROD

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Caves of Qud plays great with just a keyboard.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Cave Story would run fine.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

There any other games like Darkest Dungeon or Gloomhaven?

Specifically a home base that you use loot from battles to develop to better support your guys, and the guys come and go/die.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

i3lueHorneT posted:

Slay the spire and other card games would work well.

Open rollercoaster tycoon is a great open source version of roller coaster tycoon 2. Also has open transit tycoon for similar vibes.

The battle for wesnoth or polytopia are both turn based strategy games with low system spec requirements.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

i3lueHorneT posted:

I play quite a lot of games with just a touchpad and keyboard on my laptop. I'm going to second slay the spire (there is a mod that improves keyboard bindings) and battle for wesnoth (the UI is a bit less ideal, but the game is awesome and free so why not try it?). You should also check out Tales Of Maj'Eyal, not sure if you like old school roguelike games, but it's free as well and yet one of the best in its genre.

Slightly weirder suggestions: both Urtuk The Desolation, and Football Tactics Glory have completely amazing UI design that make them very easy to play with just a touchpad. But you'll have to check their system requirements. Football tactics glory is a bit expensive though considering that the Football Stars DLC is pretty important.

Lastly, you can always emulate some GBA games (and GBA romhacks) like fire emblem etc.

vaginite posted:

Specifically a home base that you use loot from battles to develop to better support your guys, and the guys come and go/die.

XCOM comes to mind. If the home base is allowed to move around then Battle Brothers is perhaps worth looking at as well.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is there anything even sort of modern like the old desert/jungle/urban strike series? specifically the third person view and objective based stuff.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

XCOM comes to mind. If the home base is allowed to move around then Battle Brothers is perhaps worth looking at as well.

Played the poo poo out of xcom :( thanks though!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

An Actual Princess posted:

is there anything even sort of modern like the old desert/jungle/urban strike series? specifically the third person view and objective based stuff.

Renegade Ops is recent-ish I guess?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i3lueHorneT posted:

I can't really say for certain what will work with the graphics card, but https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri could help figure out.

For slower turn-based games, they tend to lean a lot harder on mouse (I'd recommend finding a nice big flat book to use as a mousepad, that's what I used to do in bed), but
  • Punch Club
  • Recettear
  • Reigns
  • Into the Breach
  • Party Hard

There's a lot more actiony games out there that you can play buttons only:
  • Shovel Knight
  • The original freeware Spelunky
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Westerado
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious
  • Star Control 2 Ur-Quan Masters

You could probably also get into emulation for a different kind of frustration and play like NES/SNES/GBA games, or if you get like a big flat hardback book you can use a mouse in bed easier and get into classic point and clicks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

vaginite posted:

Tinyfolks

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

i3lueHorneT posted:

Kinda hard to recommend city-builders and the like unless you don't mind using a touchpad a lot a lot a lot.

Tales of Maj Eyal and Caves of Qud as mentioned are good as is any old school roguelike.

Otherwise look into platformers, they can range from narrative to hardcore Metroidvania and anywhere in between.
Night in the Woods
Knytt Underground
Ori and the Blind Forest

The avernum games are great turn-based rpgs.

Dome Keeper
Vampire Survivors

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

i3lueHorneT posted:

Seconding the earlier recommendation for emulation; the NES/SNES, GB/GBC/GBA, PSX, and most DOS games will emulate just fine on even the most potatoey of machines, so if there are any classic games you keep meaning to get to Any Day Now, consider that.

Apart from that, some genre and specific game recommendations; I'm avoiding anything that uses the mouse here, even if it's turn-based or the like.

Roguelikes. A lot of classic RLs like Nethack and DoomRL are keyboard-only, although some really want a numpad. A lot of modern RLs like Dungeonmans, ToME4, Sproggiwood, Golden Krone Hotel, Crypt of the NecroDancer, and Caves of Qud can be played with no or minimal mouse involvement even if a mouse is supported.

Sidescrolling platformers. Iji, Within a Deep Forest, and Cave Story are all free and keyboard-only. There's loads more you can buy like Steamworld Dig, Vision Soft Reset, Catmaze, Axiom Verge, Timespinner, Touhou Luna Nights, Salt and Sanctuary, Guacamelee, and Celeste. I wish I could also recommend The King's Bird and Mark of the Ninja here but they really want an analog stick.

Turn-based tactics and TRPGs. Wesnoth, Wargroove, and Fae Tactics can all be played keyboard-only, as can the console games that inspired them (in emulation) like FF Tactics and Advance Wars. I don't remember if Into the Breach can be played without a mouse but if it can definitely check that out.

Puzzle games. A lot of these (hi, Zachtronics) have mouse-driven UIs, but stuff like Baba Is You, Hack & Slash, Tetrobot & Co, and Ittle Dew are keyboard-friendly. Parser fic also qualifies; for a recent, highly polished and technically impressive example, check out Hadean Lands, but there's also a huge library of free parser games out there -- just going backwards through the top scoring games in each year's IFCOMP entries is a good start, or if you're not familiar with the genre, try out Counterfeit Monkey by Emily Short.

Shmups. Tyrian 2000 is free on GOG and is the game Raptor and Stargunner wanted to be. I've heard good things about Mecha Ritz, Steredenn: Binary Stars, and Operation STEEL, although I haven't played them. And my personal favourite is shmup roguelite The Void Rains Upon Her Heart; it's unfinished as yet, but the missing parts are mostly storyline and a few endgame challenge modes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

grate deceiver posted:

Renegade Ops is recent-ish I guess?

What I remember most about this game is that it kills off the annoying macho commander guy, only for him to miraculously survive so that he can show up at the end and punch a woman.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Tinyfolks

This looks neat gonna pick it up. Thank you

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hi, friends. Only recently have I dipped my toes into the exciting world of western RPGs. I've played Disco Elysium and now playing through Divinity: Original Sin.
My general question is: what games are considered to be some of the best written ones out there? I've played through Silent Hill 2, Pathologic, and I'd like to see what other games I've missed.
More specific question is related to wRPGs: what other games should I play? I know people love Fallouts 1 and 2, and I think I've heard mentions of Baldur's Gate? Since it was a genre I just didn't play all the osmosis in terms of what people consider a masterpiece kinda brushed past me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vookatos posted:

Hi, friends. Only recently have I dipped my toes into the exciting world of western RPGs. I've played Disco Elysium and now playing through Divinity: Original Sin.
My general question is: what games are considered to be some of the best written ones out there? I've played through Silent Hill 2, Pathologic, and I'd like to see what other games I've missed.
More specific question is related to wRPGs: what other games should I play? I know people love Fallouts 1 and 2, and I think I've heard mentions of Baldur's Gate? Since it was a genre I just didn't play all the osmosis in terms of what people consider a masterpiece kinda brushed past me

Fallout 1 and 2 are classics although well-written does not really apply to 2.

Planescape: Torment is one of the best written games ever and runs on the infinity engine that Baldur's Gate does, also a huge influence on Disco Elysium.

Obsidian games generally have good writing - Knights of the Old Republic 2 (kind of requires playing the first one, by Bioware, which also has lots of fans - I'm not really one but personal taste, that goes for most Bioware games actually), Fallout New Vegas and Tyranny are standouts in that department.

Morrowind is my favourite game and while the dialogue is mostly just functional, it has some great writing in the books and the occasional important quest conversation, as well as generally have an insanely impressive world and history.

Arcanum and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines by Troika are very buggy and sometimes difficult to love but both have fantastic writing and characters. Bloodlines with fan patches is a much easier pill to swallow, Arcanum I can't really recommend for most people unless you run out of other games lol

That's all off the top of my head but weird Western RPGs are one of my special interests so I'll have a think

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 2, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Also Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, if you can tolerate the jankiness.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Baldur's Gate 2 is the better written and more highly regarded of the pair, and one of the top ten best western RPGs of all time.

Morrowind is another all time GOAT but it's a completely different sub gebre whereas BG2 is the spiritual predecessor to what you've already played.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

vaginite posted:

I like Darkest Dungeon and XCOM 2, and I saw Wildermyth recommended. Doesn't have the home base aspect, but your characters have stories and they can die in combat. I'll check out Gloomhave

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Vookatos posted:

As someone who bought and then didn't play very much of it geneforge seems like a really loving cool crpg, and got an updated remake thing pretty recently

Actually this is a good reminder for me that I need to try picking geneforge back up

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Vookatos posted:

Oh man, you're going to get a lot of responses, friend. And if you really haven't played any western RPGs you've got a lot of good fun ahead. I've got some opinions:

Morrowind
Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. I could write you a novel about why I love it, but it really should just be experienced. While Morrowind is probably best known for being the first modern Elder Scrolls game, it's also the best written. Its story might appear to be just a standard "chosen one" narrative but as it progresses you're led to question whether you're really chosen at all, or made, and if you were "chosen," chosen by whom, exactly, and for what purpose? It's a surprisingly thoughtful criticism of the narrative.

Morrowind is also the first Elder Scrolls game to develop the concepts of CHIM, Amaranth, and pseudo gnostic mysticism that forms the "deep lore" of the series, thanks primarily to one of its authors Michael Kirkbride. This is only tangentially addressed in the main story but is available to the determined player who reads the in-game books and hunts down certain out of the way characters.

Morrowind is a little old these days and benefits significantly from a lightly modded setup, but heavy modding is absolutely not required to enjoy the vanilla game, and I'd even recommend just running a lightly modded setup for your first time playing. Check the Morrowind thread and just use the section under Basic Installation and Essential Mods and Utilities. Alternatively, if you're willing to do a little more setup work, Morrowind Sharp is a good Vanilla Plus mod list with clear step by step instructions on how to set it up.

Morrowind really benefits from entering into it with a slow burn, relaxed, explorative mindset. The game's story itself stops multiple times to remind you to go off, explore the world, and then come back. The main story is legitimately good, but the many faction/guild questlines and

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Somewhat confusingly named, referring to Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, and its expansion Throne of Bhaal. Get the rereleased enhanced editions. Not referring to the modern Baldur's Gate 3, which I am reserving judgement on for now.

The hero's journey. The Baldur's Gate series is about taking a level 1 DnD (specifically ADnD 2nd edition) character who is thrust out into the world after the untimely murder of their foster father. Over the course of 3 games, countless quests, and 40 character levels, you will discover who your real father was and decide how to deal with his legacy. It's a classic for a reason--there's an experience to taking a level 1 weakling that can be one-shotted by a wolf and turn them into a demigod slaying hordes of demons. The writing is heroic/epic with ups and downs, twists and turns, although I won't say it's the best of its generation--I'd give that to Planescape Torment. If the writing seems cliche today it's because this is one of the classics of the wRPG genre that set the tone for everything that came after. It is, incidentally, the original "Bioware game", and you can see an earlier version of their later style of companion writing.

I'll caution that Baldur's Gate as a series does rely on its DnD mechanics for combat, which can be frustrating if you're not familiar, although it has enough difficulty options that this shouldn't be a major barrier. And the Baldur's Gate series combat is not so tightly tuned compared to later games published on its Infinity Engine like Icewind Dale. I'll also caution that Baldur's Gate 2 is generally regarded as better written than BG1, so if you're only going to play one game make it BG2. That said I really do view the games as a complete story taken together, and starting with BG2 will feel like starting in the middle of a story.

Baldur's Gate can be played with no mods on the enhanced editions, which are a rerelease of the game on an updated engine and incorporating years and years of fixes developed by the BG mod community. That said there is a large modding community that continues even today for the game. The Infinity Engine Games thread has a longer description of Baldur's Gate, FAQ, and a list of popular mods.

Planescape: Torment
Broadly considered to be the best written of the Infinity Engine games and one of the best written games of all time, Planescape: Torment is not about a high fantasy epic hero's journey. It's a meditation on identity and dealing with one's past. The Planescape DnD setting, and the story's city of Sigil specifically, sits at the intersection of many different planes of existence and philosophies of living, which reflect in the main character's own process of self-discovery. Its companions are limited but detailed, made as foils and mirrors for the development of the main character.

You're not playing this game for the combat. It's on the same engine as BG above, but it is simple and limited compared to the other Infinity Engine games. But that's okay, because you're playing it for the story. Play as an intelligent mage for the best results.

Planescape: Torment can be played with no mods on the enhanced edition, same as BG above. The Infinity Engine Games thread is again the resource for P: T. If you find yourself really liking it, Torment: Tides of Numenera is its spiritual sequel with mostly positive reviews although it didn't make the same splash as its predecessor.

The Witcher Series
You may have already played The Witcher 3. Most everyone has. You also may argue whether TW3 is a true wRPG or more action adventure with RPG elements, but TW1 and TW2 are definitely RPGs. But if you haven't played at least The Witcher 3, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Remember that I said before that Morrowind is my favorite game? Well I had to think long and hard about that when TW3 came out. If Morrowind is still #1, then TW3 is a close #2, and has by far better characters. This is no great surprise, since its characters were written by an actual author of an actual celebrated book series. That series follows the eponymous Witcher, Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer trying to find his place in an increasingly modern, late medieval world that doesn't need him anymore. He falls in love with the sorceress Yennifer and they become essentially adoptive parents to orphan Ciri. As the books' plot progresses, it becomes clear that while Geralt might be the main character, it is actually Ciri who is the Hero of the setting, the one with the highest stakes and highest challenges.

It's clear the Witcher game developers dearly loved the Witcher books, and in a certain way their games feel like fan-fiction, an attempt to give Geralt and his family both a new story and a new, perhaps happier ending. But don't be put off by my accusation of fan-fiction--it's good writing all the way through! The Witcher series (both books and games) are very much about how choices have consequences, and all of the Witcher games work very hard to allow for player choice, respond to player choice, and make player choice have meaningful consequences for the story.

The Witcher 1 is the oldest of the series and by far the jankiest. You're probably not going to play it for its gameplay. It's story is also a bit of a side story--the developers weren't sure if it would be a commercial success and didn't include Yennifer or Ciri in the story as they didn't yet feel they could do it justice. But it is playable and enjoyable--I replayed it a couple years ago as part of a "Witcher megacampaign" where I read every book in order then played Witcher 1-3 in order to experience the full saga, and I found it immensely rewarding.

The Witcher 2 is where all of the main characters really return as characters with agendas and identities continuous with the books. Its gameplay is pretty decent, if a little dated.

The Witcher 3 of course is the best of the trilogy, both in story and gameplay. It is a classic on its own, one of the best games ever made. Even if you found yourself bouncing off the others, I would highly recommend playing it on its own.

I do recommend at least considering reading the first 2 Witcher books, The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, before beginning the game. The games are more enjoyable when you know their characters' backgrounds. It's certainly not required, but it adds to the experience.

The Witcher 1, 2, and 3 can be played without mods, although mods are available for all 3 and can add to the experience.

I don't have the time right now to fully write up my other recommendations, but I also highly recommend these others:
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (with unofficial patch)
Arcanum (with unofficial patch)
Fallout 1 and 2 (although I won't claim 2 is the best writing)
Fallout New Vegas (although will require modding for stability)
The Forgotten City
Pathologic 2 (if you haven't played it but liked Pathologic)
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Series

And I recommend somewhat less highly:
The Age of Decadence (writing is good, gameplay is frustrating)
Pathfinder Kingmaker (writing is alright)
Pathfinder Wrath of (writing is alright)
Mass Effect Series (writing is alright, play Legendary edition)
Dragon Age Series (writing is alright)
Cyberpunk 2077 (writing is alright to good)
Pillars of Eternity series (writing is alright)

Other not wRPGs with good writing I've liked:
Golden Treasure: The Great Green
King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages
Hades
Haven
Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies
A House of Many Doors
Suzerain
Wildermyth
Firewatch
Life is Strange (only played 1, no comment on 2 or true colors)
Choice Of series of games
Persona series of games

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

If you find yourself really liking it, Torment: Tides of Numenera is its spiritual sequel with mostly positive reviews although it didn't make the same splash as its predecessor.
Don't. The writing is awful, the game mechanics are sluggish and all the philosophy of PS:T is reduced to a series of increasingly stupid trolley problems. I'd only recommend if you enjoy the feeling of having your intelligence insulted by game writers. Repeatedly.

It didn't make a splash because the "spiritual sequel" label they advertised it with is utter bullshit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rather than playing Numenera I would highly recommend just slamming your dick in a car door for 30 hours while listening to a podcast by a washed up comedian who was no platformed for sexual harassment, for roughly the same but a slightly less painful experience

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's not that bad. It may be poo poo compared to Planescape which it deserately tries to emulate, but on its own it's a perfectly mid game.

OP mentioned Divinity Original Sin, of which I admittedly only played number 2, but that one has truly shitgarbage writing. If they were fine with that, they'll be more than fine with Numenera

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What?

The writing in DOS2 was no Disco Elysium but it at least had some effective scenes and the main story had a reasonably interesting mystery which is more than I can say about 90% of all RPGs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

It's not that bad. It may be poo poo compared to Planescape which it deserately tries to emulate, but on its own it's a perfectly mid game.

OP mentioned Divinity Original Sin, of which I admittedly only played number 2, but that one has truly shitgarbage writing. If they were fine with that, they'll be more than fine with Numenera

Absolutely none of the mediocre writing in OS is as inexcusable as a thousand pages of whatever this is

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Absolutely none of the mediocre writing in OS is as inexcusable as a thousand pages of whatever this is

Agree to disagree. Numenera at least I finished. DOS2, even though I played 100hrs and loved the tactical battles, at some point I just couldn't force myself anymore through the painfully generic story, childish dialogue and godawful narration. I'll take the 1000 pages of purple prose tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The best video game writing was the original release of Space Rangers 2, which had an awkward Russian-to-English translation that typically came off not as a lovely translation, but as everybody speaking some interstellar English dialect from the future, which made it the most immersive writing of all time.