Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's the highest free agent contract, not highest contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's the highest free agent contract, not highest contract.

That'll be when they sign Alex Reyes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Are.... are they including the ad patch on uniforms fans buy? That's insane
I would assume they do as all other sports leagues with ads on uniforms

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1598512156839972864?s=46&t=gt8kWn48RL2DKUywKK3mTA

Oof, 3yr/130 is a bit more than I’d be willing to pay JV.

2yr/70-75 with performance incentives for IP/Ws/Cy/etc would probably be my ceiling. There’s no way he signs less than a 3yr though and there’s probably plenty of suitors willing to take that gamble on him after this season. It’s a foregone conclusion, but JV’s gonna wear pinstripes or Dodger Blue next year.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The blue jays are gonna sign JV and Senga and Nimmo :)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So long JV

You gave us 3.5 great years when the world thought you might be on the downside

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought the 3/130m thing had been known for a long time

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The blue jays are gonna sign JV and Senga and Nimmo :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1598512156839972864?s=46&t=gt8kWn48RL2DKUywKK3mTA

Oof, 3yr/130 is a bit more than I’d be willing to pay JV.

2yr/70-75 with performance incentives for IP/Ws/Cy/etc would probably be my ceiling. There’s no way he signs less than a 3yr though and there’s probably plenty of suitors willing to take that gamble on him after this season. It’s a foregone conclusion, but JV’s gonna wear pinstripes or Dodger Blue next year.

As bad as the Judge contract would be, this is worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

“Quietly, they prefer not to sign him for three years. Verlander was great in-season but they carried him in the postseason,” one person familiar with the Astros’ thinking said. “No one [in Houston] wants to go three [years],” another source adds.
:hmmyes:

quote:

The Yankees, who tried for Verlander last year under the belief he and model/actress wife Kate Upton might like it before he chose to return to Houston, are in again. And so is LA, where the Verlanders have a home.

Lol

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Padres leaking interest in Turner is actually just a roundabout way of signalling interest for Verlander if they miss out on Senga :thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The salsa here is too spicy for JV’s tender east coast palate

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Why does the internet like to bring Verlander's wife into the mix? I mean, I know why, it's just creepy and awkward. I would not pay what JV is asking.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Why aren’t we hearing JV to Mets rumors? Uncle Stevie run outta cash already?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Why aren’t we hearing JV to Mets rumors? Uncle Stevie run outta cash already?

He wants DeGrom. JV would be plan B I'm thinking.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

bees x1000 posted:

Why does the internet like to bring Verlander's wife into the mix? I mean, I know why, it's just creepy and awkward. I would not pay what JV is asking.

A spouse having personal/professional ties to an area is a fairly common free agent talking point, even when they aren't famous models/actresses/etc.

Which makes sense for a lot of players, where diminishing returns/marginal utility of wealth kicks in to make a difference in offers of $5-$15m negligible (must be nice)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Verlander had an amazing year at 39. However, I am not so sure I'd want to bet on him continuing that for another three seasons. When you enter yours 40s, literally anything can happen. Luckily, it's not my money or decision!

But, I fully understand why he's looking for big money. He has earned that. If the Jays signed him, I'd still be super excited.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

He wants DeGrom. JV would be plan B I'm thinking.
I thought the whole point was he doesn’t have to chose like this, he can pursue both

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Yankees are such stupid motherfuckers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
mcmagic i gotta say, when you're right nobody is righter

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

A spouse having personal/professional ties to an area is a fairly common free agent talking point, even when they aren't famous models/actresses/etc.

For a recent example, this was one of the factors that played into Wheeler signing with the Phillies. Supposedly the Twins and White Sox both offered contracts that were similar/higher in value.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

I thought the whole point was he doesn’t have to chose like this, he can pursue both

I think he's actually plan C for them after Rodon as well

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think he's actually plan C for them after Rodon as well
lol the rich uncle stevie shtick lasted one year, impressive

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I dunno I think I'd rather have Degrom and Rodon than Verlander.

I fully expect they pay a position player or two as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's a riskier roll of the dice: deGrom being mostly healthy in his age 34-36 seasons, or Verlander staying effective through his age 40-42 seasons?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m gonna say deGrom based on injury history. JV’s no stranger to IL stints, but I fully believe he’s determined to pitch until he’s 45-50ish until his speed drops off too far to be viable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The point is moot because any pitcher going to the Mets is practically already on the IL.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

deGrom is clearly the highest injury risk pitcher at this point

Over the past three seasons he has fewer IP than Clayton "hasn't made 29 starts in a season since 2015" Kershaw

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

degrom had some shoulder poo poo early on in his career, I always wondered if that was gonna resurface

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I do not want JV for 3/130, no. Thanks for all the good pitching and memories and go get that bag.

And yes deGrom is still the one I'd say is riskier based on recent performance

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
At what price does JV become palatable for 3 years. He was the best pitcher in MLB last year - what was his last year's performance worth if you're paying retrospectively? He had an ERA+ of 220 over 175 IP.

The Astros made the World Series without him in 2021, so I don't think he's an essential piece, but he clearly made a difference between 95 and 106 wins.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think teams would give him 50 million for one year.

I think for 3 you're looking at like 100 million being the top that someone is comfortable giving him.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I think 3/100 is probably about what the clubs who want to spend would be willing to stretch to, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some creative deal with incentives/options that JV could hit like 3/140+ with. And I think he might take something like that because he definitely seems like the "bet on myself" guy and he thinks he's got his health/training in a spot where he can pitch at this level for a few more years for sure.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if he has that kind of confidence then he should take the 1 year $50M deal Friedman would surely give him

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it absolutely would not surprise me to see JV out there dealing at age 43 but lol lmao on anteing up big multi year money to find out if he gets there. thankfully as a fan of the poorest owner in MLB, the oakland john fisher's, I don't have to worry about such free agency things and can anxiously await the winter meetings to see which of our beloved boys gets dealt first for a package of prospects, two of whom debut in 2027

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/WFAN660/status/1598723768804933633

On the trading block huh? Must be hot commodities.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rosenthal says the Brewers are likely to trade Kolten Wong, and the Giants, Dodgers and Mariners are interested.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Pay Justin Verlander. He is worth the money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

General Bullshit posted:

Pay Justin Verlander. He is worth the money.

You do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Rosenthal says the Brewers are likely to trade Kolten Wong, and the Giants, Dodgers and Mariners are interested.

Good get this loving guy out of the NL Central already I am sick of him going 4-4 against the Cubs 19 times a year.