Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Endorph posted:

the best ongoing game is idolmaster shiny colors but that one isnt in english

Ongoing feels like it should requirre some sort of story, and that's not really a thing you can say about shinymas, because there isn't terribly much continuity. At least not in an overarching way. although I guess what they mean is "releases poo poo periodically?

What's fun is that the jp playstore's best story game was a fullmetal alchemist game, which appears to mostly be "the manga, but you can do the fights." Incidentally, for jp, genshin was a winner for the ongoing category, but the actual no.1 was puzzle & dragon. Other winners were project sekai, fgo, and monster strike.

Bonus lol that unless you find a website with a handy list, playstore's best of stuff is region-locked. Also was mostly broken when I tried looking on my tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

As Fontaine sort of starts to come into view with Liben in play as well as some dialogue murmings I can't help but feel what a missed opportunity it would be if there isnt some movie length Phoenix Wright style set piece with the Hydro Archon where the traveler assemble a super legal team of Yanfei and Shinobu to be his Maya and Trucy to outlogic her logic or something.

It makes me sad when I remember Yanfei was basically tailor-made to be our legal council, but we're probably going to get a new Fontaine character to represent us in our inevitable bullshit trial instead.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tree Reformat posted:

It makes me sad when I remember Yanfei was basically tailor-made to be our legal council, but we're probably going to get a new Fontaine character to represent us in our inevitable bullshit trial instead.

I would accept that only if they gently caress up and fail and at the 11th hour Yanfei comes in to save the day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
could always introduce multiple, mechanically distinct versions of narratively identical characters

Public Defender Iefnay
Yanthazar
Lawyerking
Mecha-Yanfei

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

It is for sure the best ongoing game but I'm confused why game awards would start being correct.

It's a gacha game that relies on FOMO and changing game mechanics to try to get you to spend money and it still somehow wins Least Predatory and/or hosed Microtransaction Game. I don't know if Mihoyo deserves an award or the rest of the industry deserves the Most Dystopian Videogame Industry award.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

could always introduce multiple, mechanically distinct versions of narratively identical characters

Public Defender Iefnay
Yanthazar
Lawyerking
Mecha-Yanfei

Judge Dreddfei

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Judge Dreddfei

:sickos:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

You probably don't want to hire a business lawyer like her for a criminal defence case anyway.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So to clarify, as I sort of expected, the Playstation grand award thing is based on what games made the most money on the Playstation store in Asia for the past year. Because of a quirk in where it cuts off apparently (Oct 21-Sept 22 it missed factoring in both the Raiden Shogun and Nahida launch banners as well. :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zenostein posted:

Ongoing feels like it should requirre some sort of story, and that's not really a thing you can say about shinymas, because there isn't terribly much continuity. At least not in an overarching way. although I guess what they mean is "releases poo poo periodically?
i mean shiny colors doesnt have an overarching narrative but it is heavily focused on character arcs that progress over time

FractalSandwich posted:

You probably don't want to hire a business lawyer like her for a criminal defence case anyway.
as an adventurer all our activities are our business and fontaine getting mad at us would be interfering in our business, case closed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

i mean shiny colors doesnt have an overarching narrative but it is heavily focused on character arcs that progress over time

Already sounds better than Genshin.

But gently caress Yanfei though, as a lawyer I cannot express how much I hate how she's written. She is very much dumb person's idea of what it means to be smart, much like Kokomi.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yanfei is the only character smart enough to walk behind you.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Endorph posted:

Clarste posted:

It's the benefit of not constantly having to come up with more characters or sort out much of a main scenario/adding things to the main scenario piecemeal and only once a year, if that.

On the other hand, a lot of those stories are tied to a) getting a card, and then b) using the card and hoping the rng deigns to show you all the parts of the story. I assume there's pretty decent stuff in the scenario events, but reading is hard so I only bother with the april fool's one, generally.

Yanfei's great, I do not think I would want her as my lawyer. And it likely wouldn't matter who your lawyer is, since god gets the final say in fontaine, apparently also because if they did a court thing you know it would be phoenix wright, but paimon.ugh

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

But gently caress Yanfei though, as a lawyer I cannot express how much I hate how she's written. She is very much dumb person's idea of what it means to be smart, much like Kokomi.

I don't hold anime stuff to a particularly high standard of real life equivalent accuracy because honestly lol. A lot of of these characters are written to be quirky idealized "waifus" first and foremost. Just gotta kind of roll with it as characters like Yanfei power dunks on every NPC less pretty and cool as her in ways. Antlers also beats no antlers obviously.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Kale posted:

As Fontaine sort of starts to come into view with Liben in play as well as some dialogue murmings I can't help but feel what a missed opportunity it would be if there isnt some movie length Phoenix Wright style set piece with the Hydro Archon where the traveler assemble a super legal team of Yanfei and Shinobu to be his Maya and Trucy to outlogic her logic or something.

Given the logic puzzles that have started to show up in the main story and Nilou’s story quest, I wouldn’t be too surprised if something like this does occur, except perhaps more along the lines of Ace Attorney Investigations than the usual Phoenix games.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Clarste posted:

But her hat tho

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

next you'll be telling me Beidou isn't a realistic depiction of a pirate captain

anyways as also-a-lawyer i wouldn't describe Yanfei as one of the game's standouts in terms of writing but she's not terrible either. she's basically written like a Holmesian detective and as far as that goes her story stuff does a much better job of proceeding from clues and dramatic but not completely-implausible logical inferences than a lot of media. it's not like 99% of legal work is even remotely glamorous to begin with and foregrounding discovery / investigation is a good compromise between reality and entertaining fiction

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome to entertainment where accuracy takes a back seat to fun. If you're looking for the real experience you'd be better off finding a German simulator of the job.

Lara Croft is an archaeologist and her games are about backflipping off pillars and wall jumping up chasms in between shooting dinosaurs and tigers in the face instead of carefully dusting off objects pulled out of the ground.

Mario's a plumber that spends all of his time saving a princess from a dragon

Isaac Clark, an engineer, is fighting one of the top 30 most aggressive reanimated monsters in fiction with a variety of guns

And really of them, I only think Mario's anyone's waifu

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Welcome to entertainment where accuracy takes a back seat to fun. If you're looking for the real experience you'd be better off finding a German simulator of the job.

Lara Croft is an archaeologist and her games are about backflipping off pillars and wall jumping up chasms in between shooting dinosaurs and tigers in the face instead of carefully dusting off objects pulled out of the ground.

Mario's a plumber that spends all of his time saving a princess from a dragon

Isaac Clark, an engineer, is fighting one of the top 30 most aggressive reanimated monsters in fiction with a variety of guns

And really of them, I only think Mario's anyone's waifu

How dare you forget #1 waifu theoretical physicist Gordon Freeman

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tree Reformat posted:

Hi I'm Saul Goodman, did you know you have rights?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xun posted:

How dare you forget #1 waifu theoretical physicist Gordon Freeman

Oh poo poo, I completely forgot about Gordon Freeman. I was thinking about bike messenger Cole MacGrath fighting various gangs in Empire City by summoning lightning bolts out of the sky

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not talking about accuracy, I'm just saying she's kind of dumb but the game acts like she's a genius because she memorizes books. Same as Kokomi, the strategic genius who never does anything remotely strategic.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

At least Kokomi routed the shogunate forces that one time though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

kokomi running a military like it's an extremely violent kindergarten class is genuinely funny

her personal depiction w/ the counting energy units and poo poo is admittedly kind of hackneyed

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mailer posted:

It's a gacha game that relies on FOMO and changing game mechanics to try to get you to spend money and it still somehow wins Least Predatory and/or hosed Microtransaction Game. I don't know if Mihoyo deserves an award or the rest of the industry deserves the Most Dystopian Videogame Industry award.

I'm not gonna argue about the dystopian industry point at all because capitalism, but I think the reason Genshin has something of a reputation for low predatory level is that the ways in which it leverages FOMO and game mechanics are not that far above baseline capitalism and marketing?

Like, character and signature weapon at launch is buying a game with the steelcase, iconic gear replica, and resin statue. Shelling out for a character at launch when they're current in the story and the Abyss is leaning into them is buying a game on its first release - there's the most marketing hype, there's the most Internet buzz, there's the most active conversations to involve yourself in, there's the most fan content. Saving up your free/subscription primos for a character you know is coming, like radish, Al, or Dehya, or passing on spending at launch and hoping your stock lines up better on a rerun, is like waiting for a game to go on Steam sale for five or ten bucks. You still get the whole game and all its mechanics, just after all the buzz is gone.

It helps that you get like 80% of the story content for characters you don't own. You miss out on friendship chats and backgrounds, teapot miscellany, and running environmental commentary, but everybody playing the game can save Nahida and then take her out on a weird dream adventure, and then if previous patch content is any indication, also take her out to probably some weird juju happening in the depths of the desert, where the bonds between three old friends slumber quietly, like an Aranara that has transformed into a seed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kale posted:

Genshin seems to be racking up an awful lot of industry awards this week. Golden Joystick and Google Play for best ongoing game and now Playstation Partners (Asia) Grand Prize shared with Elden Ring. It's a shame it'll never get nominated for best music cause it kind of doesn't fit into the industries framework for that award, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did in some China region equivalent.

They came in 2nd place for what looks to be a Japanese-region-specific music award in 2021:
https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1466739000127856643?s=20&t=hcxkO5JjXwwV_5x019lllg

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

give them all the awards, i want primos

Kale
May 14, 2010

Makes sense, it was probably under consideration in Japan in the first place whereas The Game Awards just seem to have plugged the heavy favorites into other categories into the music one and fired and forgot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The game awards is a marketing event for whichever games pay the most money.

Presumably that sony thing in Japan was just a marketing event for playstation in general so they were a bit more unbiased with the ability to pick any playstation game they wanted and still sell consoles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blasting down everyone who says the sexist slur 'waifu' here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah every game award is just a marketing stunt theres no point caring beyond 'voting for genshin in order to get free primos' in the ones that have voting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zenostein posted:

It's the benefit of not constantly having to come up with more characters or sort out much of a main scenario/adding things to the main scenario piecemeal and only once a year, if that.

On the other hand, a lot of those stories are tied to a) getting a card, and then b) using the card and hoping the rng deigns to show you all the parts of the story. I assume there's pretty decent stuff in the scenario events, but reading is hard so I only bother with the april fool's one, generally.
i like the recent nichika card where she sees her senpai's ex-girlfriend's ghost in the corner of her vision (even though she isnt dead) and thinks about being killed by her

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

give them all the awards, i want primos

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Any music-based category that this game does not win every year, is loving rigged. Mindblowing how amazing the soundtrack manages to be, consistently, with every additional version drop.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eh, tastes are subjective but it's not even the best "Music From a Chinese Gacha Game" imo.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I would like to hear the nice music from other Chinese gacha games

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You could put that post in the FFXIV thread and no one would disagree with you. I actually mostly play this game with sound off, so I can watch something else while I explore or whatever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Does Final Fantasy do cooking videos though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Dd78jiSi8

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I would like to hear the nice music from other Chinese gacha games

Some boss themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E44IRAYFadw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ttO0C6O2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLhGlPvsgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPdqrw4nXYE

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal