Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

the_steve posted:

Wait, what did they do? I thought their only crime was that one-hit wonder of theirs.

IIRC Glitter was into sex tourism of places with laxer laws regarding ages. I remember stories of him being with underage girls at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

IIRC Glitter was into sex tourism of places with laxer laws regarding ages. I remember stories of him being with underage girls at least.

I think he was talking about Sixpence None the Richer, whose greatest crime was releasing "Kiss Me".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Phylodox posted:

I think he was talking about Sixpence None the Richer, whose greatest crime was releasing "Kiss Me".

Yeah, that. I didn't realize they had more to their rapsheet than just that song.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you like Kiss Me, Sixpence and Leigh Nash are still going. They’re actually a Christian band but it’s one of those groups where it doesn’t really matter. Also check out her work with Delerium.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

the_steve posted:

Yeah, that. I didn't realize they had more to their rapsheet than just that song.
i'm sorry if i'm explaining a joke when actually another different joke is going over my head, but
nonce and none are not the same word

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't know that sixpence was a separate person. I thought that that was a dumb nickname FOR Gary Glitter. :P

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

InediblePenguin posted:

i'm sorry if i'm explaining a joke when actually another different joke is going over my head, but
nonce and none are not the same word

Noncesense!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I saw an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry doesn’t want a van because of all the space and size he doesn’t need, when now people will buy huge trucks and vehicles and use all the towing and stuff they never do as a justification to buy it, while car models are just straight up being discontinued

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bobjr posted:

I saw an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry doesn’t want a van because of all the space and size he doesn’t need, when now people will buy huge trucks and vehicles and use all the towing and stuff they never do as a justification to buy it, while car models are just straight up being discontinued

That was happening then, too. It's a very city vs. burbs/rural thing (like a lot of Seinfeld things).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Icon Of Sin posted:

Noncesense!

Genetically he has more in common with a crab. And he definitely smells of hammers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Icon Of Sin posted:

Noncesense!

Paedogeddon is the exact opposite of "media that aged badly"! In many ways it's shocking how prescient it was.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Philippe posted:

Paedogeddon is the exact opposite of "media that aged badly"! In many ways it's shocking how prescient it was.

It was more of an open secret than prescient.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

I'm finally checking off Breaking Bad off my media bucket list. is weed being a gateway drug suppose to be a serious thing back then or what?

The idea of a gateway drug made a kind of backward sense when you had to buy weed from a drug dealer, since there would be a good chance that a peddler of one illegal drug also carried others.

Weed as a gateway drug sounds a lot more silly once you remove drug dealers from the equation, as your dispensary cashier is unlikely to recommend crystal meth if you complain that weed makes you sleepy or whatever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah your dispensary cashier will recommend more weed, just in a different strain than you usually get.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah your dispensary cashier will recommend more weed, just in a different strain than you usually get.

Green crack is the most insane strain I have ever found.

Weed isn't supposed to make you so high strung that you vibrate

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Kwyndig posted:

Mine recommended wine cause the attached wine store was open too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah people are doing wine and weed pairings now. I'm not a big wine guy or a big weed guy but maybe that's a good combo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sauvignon dank

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Offler posted:

Weed as a gateway drug sounds a lot more silly once you remove drug dealers from the equation, as your dispensary cashier is unlikely to recommend crystal meth if you complain that weed makes you sleepy or whatever.
You will realize that antidrug programs in elementary school lied to you about weed, so maybe they lied to you about heroin too

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Note, they only mildly exaggerated heroin. Mostly in the addiction part, some people can take heroin once and decide it's not for them, other people get hooked. Not that it matters unless you're in certain countries in Asia or Europe you can't actually get heroin anymore, the Mexican cartels push fentanyl instead, sometimes even having the daring to call it heroin.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kwyndig posted:

Note, they only mildly exaggerated heroin. Mostly in the addiction part, some people can take heroin once and decide it's not for them, other people get hooked. Not that it matters unless you're in certain countries in Asia or Europe you can't actually get heroin anymore, the Mexican cartels push fentanyl instead, sometimes even having the daring to call it heroin.

Over here they put fent in the meth for the extra smooth flavor. If you're a big smoker you can die from it.

Not to push the tired stereotype of cops hearing the word fentanyl and fainting but it is a very concentrated drug.

Lots of people just do it straight but carefully. It just comes in so many different things now!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Over here they put fent in the meth for the extra smooth flavor. If you're a big smoker you can die from it.

Not to push the tired stereotype of cops hearing the word fentanyl and fainting but it is a very concentrated drug.

Lots of people just do it straight but carefully. It just comes in so many different things now!

It's the High Fructose Corn Syrup of drugs

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Asterite34 posted:

It's the High Fructose Corn Syrup of drugs

If you want the Coke without it you need to buy it in glass bottles from Mexico?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

canyoneer posted:

If you want the Coke without it you need to buy it in glass bottles from Mexico?

Or kosher for Passover.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Remulak posted:

Or kosher for Passover.

Real loving Coke, בעזרת השם!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Real loving Coke, בעזרת השם!
(My) Kroger is now carrying Mexican sugar coke in festive holiday 4-packs. Thanks for the reminder, they sell out fast!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

How dare the mexcian cartels engage in false marketing.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

If anything, the real gateway drug would be tobacco. Just about every head I've known had started real early before moving on to weed and other stuff. Including me, but for me tobacco was more of a tried it, didn't like it.

Most of the other drugs were tried it, liked it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wanting to have a good time is a gateway drug.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The real gateway drug is the crushing drudgery and hopelessness of life in America.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if alcohol and tobacco were discovered today they would both probably be banned.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

if alcohol and tobacco were discovered today they would both probably be banned.

To be fair, this is probably also true of Tylenol and Aspirin.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PhazonLink posted:

Well they are the most harmful addictive substances yet known.

Say what you will about fentanyl but at least it has an ethos.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'll never understand why tobacco isn't allowed to advertise but alcohol is

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Alcohol and tobacco appealed to white people too much. Marijuana was still mostly popular among black and Hispanic communities so banning it was an easy way to arrest them (and hence bar them from voting, securing prison labor, etc.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

To be fair, this is probably also true of Tylenol and Aspirin.

oh are those two supa bad now?

I know my older female family nurses say to take Tylenol , but now all the younger ones say to take advil.

is advil/ibu going to milkshakeduck itself scientifically to soon? man pharmaceutical science is magic.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Dec 4, 2022

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

PhazonLink posted:

I know my older female family nurses say to take Tylenol , but now all the younger ones say to take advil.

is advil/ibu going to milkshakeduck itself scientifically to soon? man pharmaceutical science is magic.

Iirc using Tylenol or acetaminophen with any deviance regarding dosage, timing and alcohol usage is actually very damaging to your liver. You can easily accidentally double up meds with acetaminophen if you're not careful and gently caress this up. poo poo I wish my parents had told me when I was a kid.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PhazonLink posted:

Advil, if you're taking large amounts say waiting on a dental appointment is real hard on your stomach. Tylenol is processed by the liver and well, if you take too much can do some damage. Your liver will heal probably. Take a lot with alcohol though and you might wake up looking like a Simpsons character.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

Iirc using Tylenol or acetaminophen with any deviance regarding dosage, timing and alcohol usage is actually very damaging to your liver. You can easily accidentally double up meds with acetaminophen if you're not careful and gently caress this up. poo poo I wish my parents had told me when I was a kid.

Growing up we always had Tylenol in the house because my mother is allergic to aspirin and it was drilled into us that it was dangerous. Joke's on her though, we were chugging all the NyQuil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Push El Burrito posted:

Growing up we always had Tylenol in the house because my mother is allergic to aspirin and it was drilled into us that it was dangerous. Joke's on her though, we were chugging all the NyQuil.

NyQuil is the biggest source of my acetaminophen related mistakes for sure