Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think the question point of "did they sign off on this" is reasonable, but it's muddied because Peter Cushing would've absolutely loved to be a computer ghost monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Like 17 different people have played Batmen and Jokerses. They can cast new actors, people will be fine with it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Didn't Peter Cushing famously say he wished he hadn't been killed off because he would have loved to do another one, or his best mate Chris Lee said something to that effect when he took on the role of Dooku? So while the general point stands, this probably was the one guy who wouldn't mind anyway. It's especially easier to believe given the legion of dodgy horror flicks he did, the dude wasn't as precious about his career/legacy as folks today tend to be.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Old british theatre/horror actors didn't give a poo poo, they were in for either a laugh, or an excuse to leave England for a few months over winter.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I remember there being a fan push to recast post-OT Luke as Sebastian Stan, and I can kinda see the resemblance to 80s Hamill. It's not like Disney would have a hard time getting hold of him either.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I would say the difference between recasting Tarkin and recasting Luke is in Rogue One we're seeing Tarkin less than a day before he appears in ANH so matching him like for like as much as possible is important. In Mando we are seeing Luke in a previously unexplored phase of his life distant enough from any existing film of Mark Hamil in the role for a new actor to easily slip in and do their own take.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is something a bit less talked about but I am really enjoying the way that the TV shows have been handling Droid characters. L3 is played as a joke in Solo to make the audience go "haha the toaster thinks it's people" except it's not funny and it delegitimizes actual rights movements.

So I'm actually really happy with the TV shows where the question of Droid sentience is directly addressed with IG-11 declaring himself not a living being, but arguing further that being alive doesn't matter because you're still a person. Or you have Q9 who is fully aware of his superior precision compared to organics and has an ego about it, yet he's not played for laughs but as an actual threat. Dark Troopers are unfeeling unstoppable tanks on legs putting paid to the notions of pushover prequel battle droids.

And now we've got B2 who straddles the line between a pet and a genuine member of the community and we see how old age affects Droid programming and how they form attachments with people who treat them well rather than as merely a utility.

Droid sentience is often either portrayed as a joke for laughs or as something really tragic, so I appreciate that the TV shows are exploring in more detail what it means to be a Droid. Not everyone is dismissive of them anymore.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arc Hammer posted:

This is something a bit less talked about but I am really enjoying the way that the TV shows have been handling Droid characters. L3 is played as a joke in Solo to make the audience go "haha the toaster thinks it's people" except it's not funny and it delegitimizes actual rights movements.

So I'm actually really happy with the TV shows where the question of Droid sentience is directly addressed with IG-11 declaring himself not a living being, but arguing further that being alive doesn't matter because you're still a person. Or you have Q9 who is fully aware of his superior precision compared to organics and has an ego about it, yet he's not played for laughs but as an actual threat. Dark Troopers are unfeeling unstoppable tanks on legs putting paid to the notions of pushover prequel battle droids.

And now we've got B2 who straddles the line between a pet and a genuine member of the community and we see how old age affects Droid programming and how they form attachments with people who treat them well rather than as merely a utility.

Droid sentience is often either portrayed as a joke for laughs or as something really tragic, so I appreciate that the TV shows are exploring in more detail what it means to be a Droid. Not everyone is dismissive of them anymore.

These are all really good points and I'm hoping somebody gets to intelligently tackle droid sentience/liberation, which has kind of been the third rail in a lot of Star Wars stuff. When the Rebels start going, yeah, the Empire is keeping us in slavery and bondage, what do the medical droids and protocol droids and astromechs think?

#L3wasright
#whydidtheythinkitwasnecessarytospendagoodchunkofthatmovietoexplainonelineinESB

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I always loved the apparent trend of astromechs never getting memory-wiped because 'oh they're just funny little beeping trashcans, who gives a gently caress if they've got a few screws loose if they can do their job', and so you end up with ornery chaos gremlins like R2 and Chopper.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Certainly better than the abused puppy droid that had a copy of the map to the final boss so he was somewhat relevant to the story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arc Hammer posted:

Certainly better than the abused puppy droid that had a copy of the map to the final boss so he was somewhat relevant to the story.

Voiced by JJ Abrams.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

well why not posted:

I think the question point of "did they sign off on this" is reasonable, but it's muddied because Peter Cushing would've absolutely loved to be a computer ghost monster.

On some level, I like to think he'd have found the idea of being a Frankenstein Monster of sorts hilarious, especially as he played Dr. Frankenstein approximately 47 times.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Apologies if this was discussed to death already, but I'm really confused as to why Luthen wanted Andor dead in the last episode.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cass knows who Luthen is, could identify him to the Imps, and knows he has a role in coordinating rebel actions. Meero gets Cass and tortures him, he can give her Axis. He's walked away from the rebellion once, he's a loose thread and danger to Luthen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah he's a loose end. If he decided to stay on that's one thing but he cut and ran after the job ended so Luthen and Vel needed him silenced.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Animal-Mother posted:

Apologies if this was discussed to death already, but I'm really confused as to why Luthen wanted Andor dead in the last episode.

the decision to go after him and kill him was made in the episode right after the heist (ep 7), so it didn't come out of nowhere, to be clear -- it's also not clearly revisited/not made into a big point again until the end so i understand why you'd lose track of that

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

the decision to go after him and kill him was made in the episode right after the heist (ep 7), so it didn't come out of nowhere, to be clear -- it's also not clearly revisited/not made into a big point again until the end so i understand why you'd lose track of that

what about cinta's whole plotline post Aldhani?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I always loved the apparent trend of astromechs never getting memory-wiped because 'oh they're just funny little beeping trashcans, who gives a gently caress if they've got a few screws loose if they can do their job', and so you end up with ornery chaos gremlins like R2 and Chopper.

I never ever want to see C-3PO nor R2-D2 ever again. Holy poo poo, they're so overexposed, their proper hyphenation is in iPhone autocorrect

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just curious, how easy/hard was it for people to notice the one time they told the audience the name of Andor's father figure, Clem, and how Luthen used that as Andor's code name to try pushing him towards fighting the Empire, and none of this was explicitly stated and was entirely left to the audience to understand.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Andor chose the name, I don't recall Luthen using it before that

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The CG vs Recast debate for me is really muddied by how willing they've been to recast other characters, and unwilling to with others. For example we've had 3 movies and a tv show's worth of time to spend with Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan over Alec Guiness, we have side characters like Mon Mothma getting recast for prequels taking place in the final week before A New Hope, Wolff Yularen has been played by 3 people, but they are side characters. At the same time I get wanting to keep Mark Hamill's face on Luke if you are going to also have him play Luke again in the Sequel era, but at the same time they already recast Han when they wanted Han in his twenties so it's really inconsistent

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 2, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DaveKap posted:

Just curious, how easy/hard was it for people to notice the one time they told the audience the name of Andor's father figure, Clem, and how Luthen used that as Andor's code name to try pushing him towards fighting the Empire, and none of this was explicitly stated and was entirely left to the audience to understand.

I distinctly remember him asking Andor what name to give them

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

It's pretty hosed up that they got Scorpius to play tarkin and he didn't do anything, then they went CGI monstrosity for rogue one

Holy poo poo that is a waste of talent.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

theflyingexecutive posted:

what about cinta's whole plotline post Aldhani?

cinta and vel were tasked to find and kill andor, so cinta settled into an apartment from which she could watch maarva's house. they had literally no other lead on cassian's whereabouts so just hoped he would come home.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
One of those random, neuron firing off right as you're about to fall asleep thoughts - how can Mon Mothma and Vel be cousins if having just one child is How Things Are Done on Chantrilla? How can anyone have cousins if there's no such thing as siblings?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Not sure that Chandrila has a one child policy??

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gangringo posted:

I would say the difference between recasting Tarkin and recasting Luke is in Rogue One we're seeing Tarkin less than a day before he appears in ANH so matching him like for like as much as possible is important. In Mando we are seeing Luke in a previously unexplored phase of his life distant enough from any existing film of Mark Hamil in the role for a new actor to easily slip in and do their own take.

No it isn't. It isn't important at all. Fans aren't stupid, they know that star wars is from decades ago and the actor was old back then. Recast the guy, nobody cares. 2 hours in makeup is a lot better than 200 hours of CGI afterwards for something as unimportant as this

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fighting Trousers posted:

One of those random, neuron firing off right as you're about to fall asleep thoughts - how can Mon Mothma and Vel be cousins if having just one child is How Things Are Done on Chantrilla? How can anyone have cousins if there's no such thing as siblings?

A. I don't think this was ever brought up?
B. Maybe it's a recent policy.
C: Jebediah Mothma to authorities: "gently caress you, I'm rich"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Might have been a recent thing. Might be a planetary nobility thing where they're actually third cousins twice removed but they're still part of the same noble house so they call each other cousin.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

Not sure that Chandrila has a one child policy??

It's Legends material, so it may not be true in the new canon.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chandrila/Legends#Chandrilans

quote:

The laws were ratified by every city on the planet and prevented families from having more than one child unless they submitted special permits. Even those families that had multiple children rarely had more than two.

Either this isn't true in Disney's timeline, or it is true now but wasn't true a few generations ago, or some of their ancestors got permits.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Every couple only having one child isn't sustainable long-term for the population anyway, so it's definitely either not universally observed on the planet or only a recent practice.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
With the recent turn of making Chandrila Space Utah, they should definitely be going the other way and encouraging Chandrilans to be having as many kids as possible.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Servetus posted:

It's Legends material, so it may not be true in the new canon.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chandrila/Legends#Chandrilans

Either this isn't true in Disney's timeline, or it is true now but wasn't true a few generations ago, or some of their ancestors got permits.

The source on the one-child policy there is an RPG sourcebook, and it's legends material that came out after the canon/legends split. That's the absolute bottom rung of dubious canonicity, the idea that what's actually on screen somehow exists in contradiction to that.... whew.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Eh, if they did want to keep the restrictive natal laws around in new canon, Senators and politicos are exactly the kind of people who'd be able to get the permits for a second or even third offspring with trivial ease.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The one child policy just like any real country that has had it, explicitly says it has exceptions for the rich and well connected

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Maybe there are Old Ways and there are old Old Ways, and some families are very serious about only having the one child and others are lax about it (but still marry their children off). Maybe Mon Mothma's grandparents had it bad for each other

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The one child policy just like any real country that has had it, explicitly says it has exceptions for the rich and well connected
I called the mob boss Mon works with “Chandrilan Tony Soprano” a while back and now I am craving a crime drama set in Chandrila’s gornt-packing district with that dude cutting senators in on hyperspace-lane construction deals

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
CGIing the dead is ghoulish and should be banned; any Star Wars media that does not feature it automatically ranks higher then any that does.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does that include stuff like Clone Wars and Rebels which both include Tarkin, but in a decidedly Not Attempting to be Realistic art style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does that include stuff like Clone Wars and Rebels which both include Tarkin, but in a decidedly Not Attempting to be Realistic art style?

I think you can draw a line between depictions of the character and trying to zombify the actor to 1:1 recreate their specific performance of that character. No one is going to mistake the Clone Wars art style for an attempt to fool anyone into believing Cushing rose from the grave.