Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Seems like a minor nerf? I know that a lot of DMs dislike Banishment because it either 100% swings the battle or PCs just wait out the whole minute with a held action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zurreco posted:

Seems like a minor nerf? I know that a lot of DMs dislike Banishment because it either 100% swings the battle or PCs just wait out the whole minute with a held action.

It’s actually a buff because it can permanently banish people even if you’re on the same plane that they’re from, but it’s dumb narratively IMO

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The notion of needing to designate tieflings/aasimar "native Outsiders" so that they can't be banished is why I just can't mess with 3e anymore. It's the sort of incredibly tedious thing that slips into a system when it's made into a multigenre universal toolkit.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

change my name posted:

It’s actually a buff because it can permanently banish people even if you’re on the same plane that they’re from, but it’s dumb narratively IMO

You can now banish any Fiend/Aberration/Celestial/Fey regardless of their plane of origin

BUT

your target now gets 10 chances to negate the spell with a save, instead of just one.

It's a MASSIVE nerf, overall.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

The notion of needing to designate tieflings/aasimar "native Outsiders" so that they can't be banished is why I just can't mess with 3e anymore. It's the sort of incredibly tedious thing that slips into a system when it's made into a multigenre universal toolkit.

:hai:
I think its much more interesting if a Tiefling born on the material plane can be banished to hell by some rear end in a top hat Paladin waving a holy symbol in their face. Now thats an adventure hook!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Someone help me plot out my next session please. It's a 3 hour weeknight session that will have an IRL hour or so of ingame discussion about the goals and experiences of the party, as they've just been majorly loredumped. Here's the kicker: We're playing on December 19th so it needs to be a Christmas themed mini plot. I love the "a vampire pretends to be Santa so kids invite him in" thing, but my group has recently played another vampire thing, so it would be a bit much. Instead, I'm going simple and light: The party arrive at a small harbor town from which they'll be leaving by boat at the end of the session. There's a small in where they can have their chat and spend a night, and ideally they solve a little Christmassy problem while in town. Time of year is late autumn or the start of winter. So far my idea is something like: the town pray to Auril every autumn for a mild winter, both to finish the last harvest in time and so sea trade and fishing doesn't get bogged down by frozen waters. I want to use a Bheur Hag as a key NPC, because the party can persuade/trade/earn a favor for it to cast Control Weather. One problem is that thematically I would like it to make it snowy when it wasn't, as that fits with the sentiment of saving Christmas (which has a new, dnd-y name, plus, something something the kids in town make snowgoblins and are happy). The problem is that the kids (and the theme) have the opposite desire of the farmers and seamen (colder and snowier vs warmer and milder). Help me plot it out! (Demons as monsters to fight or a devil being involved somehow is also acceptable as it ties to the main plot)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Here's a quick idea. The festival originates from a few centuries ago, when a hag made her lair in a sheltered cove near the town. After some bad events and lots of snow, the townsfolk managed to ply her with gifts and sacrifices and praise, and she eventually made a deal: the town would pray to Auril, leave her alone in her cove to do hag stuff, and send more gifts every year, and in exchange she wouldn't freeze them all to death. Hags aren't usually trustworthy, and sometimes she would get bored and send them a blizzard or two anyway, but she mostly kept her word and enjoyed having her own little populace to idly terrorize. However, the town haven't seen her in hundreds of years, so they've largely forgotten why they have this celebration and why they superstitiously avoid the oddly-chilly cove down the coast. They attribute the weird weather to Auril's blessings/curses etc.

This summer, however, that original hag passed away - maybe just of old age, or maybe to a roving band of adventurers or something. The lair has been inherited by her daughter, who isn't as sentimental as her mother, thinks the agreement is a disgrace, and is planning to wipe the village off the map. The result is lots of unseasonal ice and snow and maybe a few ice-themed monsters showing up, which has the townsfolk worried, though they don't really know why.

The players will have to figure out the history behind the festival, maybe by noticing weird things about the ritual preparations (the villagers are freezing a bunch of tasty fish as "offerings to Auril", why?) or hearing old Christmas stories that are really about the hag but have been telephoned over the years. Then they can visit the lair, talk to the new hag (who will gleefully explain any details they missed) and use whatever combination of violence and diplomacy they like to renegotiate the agreement or get her to leave or whatever. If they make a new agreement, she insists she's going to at least make it snow every festival day; she's not a pushover like her mom. Christmas is snowy, nobody freezes to death, maybe even the hag gets to feel smug 'cause she got better terms than her mother.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 2, 2022

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Huh, they finally nerfed spiritual weapon. Now it requires concentration to maintain.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

megane posted:

Here's a quick idea.

This is great, thanks :)

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm playing a changeling bard in a one-shot later tonight and I've set him up to be a mix of the Artful Dodger and Bizarro James Bond, ie. he is a conman working for an organization that covertly causes political crises instead of solving them. Be this by counterfeiting and planting documents or borrowing the appearance of important people to very publicly be seen leaving a disreputable brothel or other such shenanigans. I was reading up on cons and scams to get some ideas for things to reference in-character and was reminded of the faked injury trick where you throw yourself in front of a car and extort the driver for money to keep the police out of the picture.
So now I'm wondering, can changelings mimic a broken limb? I sincerely doubt I'll do it in this game but say my character was pretending to be run over by a merchant's cart, would the changeling ability to shapeshift allow for me to make one leg be completely loving janky?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Government Handjob posted:

I'm playing a changeling bard in a one-shot later tonight and I've set him up to be a mix of the Artful Dodger and Bizarro James Bond, ie. he is a conman working for an organization that covertly causes political crises instead of solving them. Be this by counterfeiting and planting documents or borrowing the appearance of important people to very publicly be seen leaving a disreputable brothel or other such shenanigans. I was reading up on cons and scams to get some ideas for things to reference in-character and was reminded of the faked injury trick where you throw yourself in front of a car and extort the driver for money to keep the police out of the picture.
So now I'm wondering, can changelings mimic a broken limb? I sincerely doubt I'll do it in this game but say my character was pretending to be run over by a merchant's cart, would the changeling ability to shapeshift allow for me to make one leg be completely loving janky?

Lets take a look:

quote:

Shapechanger. As an action, you can change your appearance and your voice. You determine the specifics of the changes, including your coloration, hair length, and sex. You can also adjust your height and weight, but not so much that your size changes. You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change. You can't duplicate the appearance of a creature you've never seen, and you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs that you have. Your clothing and equipment aren't changed by this trait.

I rule that you may discolor your limbs but you can't break them at weird angles

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

W.T. Fits posted:

Huh, they finally nerfed spiritual weapon. Now it requires concentration to maintain.

Ok I officially hate 6e now

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Government Handjob posted:

You're a changeling. The whole concept is that you can impersonate other people. You're asking if these magical powers include, what, faking an injury or walking with a limp?

Like, if your DM says anything other than "Yeah, of course, whatever" they suck!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

Lets take a look:

I rule that you may discolor your limbs but you can't break them at weird angles

I interpret basic arrangement of limbs to mean you can't generate extra limbs, have legs grow from your head, etc. A bum leg is still part of the basic arrangement, just less functional.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Lets take a look:
No! Just say yes and move on!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

You're a changeling. The whole concept is that you can impersonate other people. You're asking if these magical powers include, what, faking an injury or walking with a limp?

Like, if your DM says anything other than "Yeah, of course, whatever" they suck!

Halloween Jack posted:

lol abslotely this

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd rule it's physically uncomfortable to imitate a fracture and require a CON check which, if failed, would cost some HP and make the faked pain into real pain

On the plus side the ruse would automatically succeed, no bluff check required

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

I interpret basic arrangement of limbs to mean you can't generate extra limbs, have legs grow from your head, etc. A bum leg is still part of the basic arrangement, just less functional.

Halloween Jack posted:

I wouldn't want the player using this as a precedent to turn themselves into plastic man. "Oh I just deform my bones into jelly and slide under the door!" :doh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's a simple trick to prevent that! It starts with the letter "n" and ends with the letter "o." You don't have to look anything up!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh so what i was allowed to change into a humanoid with a broken leg but i can't change into a gumby? that's practically the same thing, dm is being very arbitrary

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

I wouldn't want the player using this as a precedent to turn themselves into plastic man. "Oh I just deform my bones into jelly and slide under the door!" :doh:

That's a straw man, not a plastic man.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dienes posted:

That's a straw man, not a plastic man.

:golfclap: very nice

Personally, I'd allow it - even with fake glistening blood congealing around the protruding bone, if they want to go that far.
They wouldn't be able to have any dripping blood though, so the ground around them would be pristine instead of them leaving bloody footprints/a pool of blood around, so there might be a chance the person they're tricking will pick up on that

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Keith Baker's new Eberron book is out. First impressions: It's really loving good! It's basically a compilation of random stuff much like Exploring Eberron was, but in total it's about 200 pages of quality lore packed with adventure hooks and some cool mechanical options for players and DMs, as well as a very solid and thoughtful chapter on campaign structure and DM advice. Even if a lot of it is stuff from his blog there's enough new in there to justify the purchase.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So one of my players was killed (ripped apart by a four armed giant pretty metal imo) and I am having some trouble weighing how to reintroduce him to the game from a mechanics perspective. On the one hand I want dying to be kind of a pain so that there is an element of risk and death has consequences, but on the other hand its a game we play for fun so I don't want to make it too much of a chore. What do you guys usually do?

My idea right now is to let him choose to either create a new character or keep the existing character with a new name/backstory/stats. I won't let him keep his loot and I am going to clear his accumulated XP so he will be behind the other players a bit, but I am thinking he can level up the new character to the same level as the dead one. Does this seem reasonable?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Scornful Sexbot posted:

So one of my players was killed (ripped apart by a four armed giant pretty metal imo) and I am having some trouble weighing how to reintroduce him to the game from a mechanics perspective. On the one hand I want dying to be kind of a pain so that there is an element of risk and death has consequences, but on the other hand its a game we play for fun so I don't want to make it too much of a chore. What do you guys usually do?

My idea right now is to let him choose to either create a new character or keep the existing character with a new name/backstory/stats. I won't let him keep his loot and I am going to clear his accumulated XP so he will be behind the other players a bit, but I am thinking he can level up the new character to the same level as the dead one. Does this seem reasonable?

Hitherto unmentioned twin brother who was nonetheless close with the dead brother so is already up to speed on the situation and gets around that awkward getting to know you phase, a la cinematic masterpiece Beerfest.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scornful Sexbot posted:

Just let him make a new character at the exact same XP and wealth as the rest of the party. There is no reason to penalize a new character for the actions of an old one

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Scornful Sexbot posted:

Your ideas sound reasonable to me. If you're looking for making serious consequences which aren't tedious, I usually offer my players (if they're interested in keeping their dead character) 2 or 3 choices on getting revived with ominous yet vague consequences story-wise. It's more fun imo to add drawbacks to death within the fiction than mechanically. Also, most drawbacks within the fiction naturally lead to mechanical punishments, so that ends up working itself out anyway.

E.g.: your character dies? They get revived by a mad Frankenstein scientist and have their race change to Warforged. However, the scientist might then become a recurring villain, adding a complicating front which the party must juggle with the rest of the threats they are already facing. Mechanically, this then ends up consuming more rations as they need to travel to more places to fight this new threat, it encourages them to spend less time taking rests as they have reduced time to handle other time-sensitive threats, and yada yada.

(Also, it's lots of fun to have a funeral for the dead character. And make everybody give a little eulogy. If the character was beloved, it can be genuinely touching, or if nobody knew the character well it is absolutely hilarious having everyone fumble with some terrible speeches.)

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Have them add "Jr" to the end of their old character sheet name and then reduce their age by 20 years. Easy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zurreco posted:

Have them add "Jr" to the end of their old character sheet name and then reduce their age by 20 years. Easy.

This only works so many times before it gets weird

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Rutibex posted:

This only works so many times before it gets weird

Elves win yet again…

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
The Big Bad, or a lieutenant, revives the player but asks a favor in return; convince the party to give up.
Or some alternative favor that seems innocuous but makes later npc's the party needs go "don't you work for that rear end in a top hat?"
Like being asked to deliver a letter to the mayor of a town the party will visit. The letter is blank. The "message" is making it seem like the partymember works for the enemy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The only penalty for dying should be the 500gp it costs to buy a diamond plus maybe a tip to the cleric who casts Raise Dead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Making new characters is good and fun, just make them the same level imo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, that's what we do. New character, same level as old, who just happens to be staying at the same inn as the party the next evening.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I like the idea of having a funeral - perhaps I can turn it into a silly side quest for them.

Based on what yall are saying, I'll definitely ensure he starts at level 7 then, and I think instead what I'll do is give him maybe half the XP he has accrued after reaching level 7 - I don't give XP out evenly anyway, so I kind of like the idea that he could catch up to the other players by being smart and contributing/RPing for a couple sessions.

For his inventory, I actually ended up finding a way to do it that I liked here: https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/players/starting-above-1st-level/

The idea that you should have wealth and some rare items befitting an adventurer of your level makes total sense to me and will help him come up with a better backstory too.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

Keith Baker's new Eberron book is out. First impressions: It's really loving good! It's basically a compilation of random stuff much like Exploring Eberron was, but in total it's about 200 pages of quality lore packed with adventure hooks and some cool mechanical options for players and DMs, as well as a very solid and thoughtful chapter on campaign structure and DM advice. Even if a lot of it is stuff from his blog there's enough new in there to justify the purchase.

A little late but seconding this!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Scornful Sexbot posted:

You could have him be part of the crews of the other ships at the Fortress, if they already left Vocath's then you could have him be on another ship they meet next. I wouldn't start him any further behind than he was, so same level as the party, with an equivalent choice of magic item for level what, 7?

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

Guildencrantz posted:

Is it this one?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Yes. Totally recommend it, a looooot of lore and everything you might need as GM and player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Changeling update: faking injury didn't come into play, we started out being magically kidnapped and placed in a prison cell. Our characters were strangers with no connection to each other, and the cells previous occupants were still there in the form of very old skeletons, most of their possessions lost to rot and decay.

The DM asked all of us privately to describe our character, and map out a regular Tuesday morning. He then chose a particular moment in that description and told us to adjust our inventory to what we would reasonably be wearing or carrying at the time.

A lot of time went into improvising spell components and weapons as we broke out of the cell and made our way through the dungeon to an old mansion before fighting the fey rear end in a top hat who got his kicks watching it all.

DM warned us beforehand that this would be different from how we normally play, and that some of us may get an unfair disadvantage to begin with and hooboy playing a bard-lock without an instrument or arcane focus or even a weapon sure was challenging.

When I was kidnapped I materialized in the cell completely naked, hair full of shampoo, singing to the rubber duck I held in one hand and using a luffa as a microphone. I turned to see the other characters, sighed and said "drat it, I liked this persona" and turned my nether regions as smooth as a Ken doll.