Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
simons quest rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

hatty posted:

More games should lie to you like Simons Quest

simons quest the first soulslike confirmed

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Woohoo my replacement joycons arrived! I got a $60 pair from Nexigo who just rebrands NYXI/binbok joy cons on Amazon, check em out: https://a.co/d/0ZauMLU

So far they feel so much better than the stock. Joy-Cons! The buttons feel a tiny bit cheaper but it doesn't bother me one bit because they are BIG. Very spacious and comfortable to hold. There's even a back paddle you can customize on each joycon, although unfortunately you can only bind it to a button on that joycon. Still it's pretty awesome considering the price.

The fit is nice and tight, feels significantly more secure than my Joy-Cons with my grip. Finally my switch feels like it's made of one cohesive piece rather than three pieces of tech slapped together via wonky rails! You can wake the console with them and they even come with a chassis you can dock them into for a pro controller experience

It also has gyro and rumble, although I think the rumble is supposed to be not super great. I don't care about that either!

The gyro is slightly slower by just a tiny bit, it's usable but I think for any gyro heavy games I'll stick to the stock joycon. This is not an issue for most games though and so far I'm loving the way these feel! Definitely a step up from the stock. Joy cons with a skull and co grip. It's also dockable too!

I heard that QC can be kind of shoddy so I'll keep an eye out for that over the next few weeks. I've already noticed that the rumble is very different, the left one is annoyingly loud and I don't think that's working as intended. Even if this thing lasts me just a few months I'm definitely getting another pair though because this is great!

Wonder when they're going to make higher end alternatives at a premium? Basically the hori split pad but with gyro and rumble? It just seems stupid to replace the stock ones with options that don't have those basic OEM features.

Anyway, anybody have any experience with these? They feel and look great so far! The home button is shaped like a tiny house (!!!!)

Bonus: apparently this is the latest revision/ version that was just released earlier this month. I'll have to grab a pair if these crap out on me: https://nyxigaming.com/products/nyxi-hyperion-meteor-light-wireless-joypad

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 2, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh I didn't even write a thing about the RGB stuff, it works and it looks pretty awesome! For some reason the yellow is slightly mismatched on each Joy-Con but all the other colors are spot on. I'm a fan of the blue and the red and it's kind of cool to match different colors to replicate popular Joy-Con configuration like the Splatoon ones etc.

Got some pretty nice features like a breathe option, solid color option, rainbow edition etc. You can adjust the intensity and it definitely looks pretty cool on the black version which I got. I probably won't use the lights very much though, pretty cool to flash on and off but they are a bit loud/ distracting.

As for the paint finish itself it has a nice textured surface that feels nice/premium! Paint job with the animal print stuff is...unique but it looks pretty dope in person tbh

Oh shoulder buttons aren't great but not bad either, they don't compare to a proper controller since they feel a little bit cheap but once again they are still an improvement over the stock triggers!

The sticks feel great as well, they're supposed to have a bit of a dead zone but I haven't noticed yet. I have to compare them directly to my Joy-Cons in the calibration settings and I'll see if I notice a difference, but during gameplay it's not noticeable. I've tested a few games so far and movement seems accurate/ satisfying enough.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Quote is not edit drat me fixing typos

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, it's an extremely lovely platformer.

Some of those dungeons just loving SUCKED

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

KingSlime posted:

joycon stuff

Dang, those actually look pretty nice. I don't use joycons unless it's the very last resort...but these have me interested. And is that...a headphone jack I see?? :eyepop:

Yeah if you wouldn't mind, please report back after you've broken them in.

edit: how is the d pad?

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 2, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RBA Starblade posted:

Bloodstained is a metroidvania, like the GBA Castlevania games. The older Castlevanias are straight platformers.
Correction Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a Metroidvania, in the vein of Aria/Dawn of Sorrow. The two Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games are more traditional Classicvania-esque games, specifically mimicking CV3 with its character-swapping.

Also Ritual runs terribly on Switch, even post-patch. It's still playable, in that I did play and beat the game, but it has basically every performance problem known to man. Terrible loading times, input lag, stutter, crashes, graphical bugs, etc. Pretty sure there's some sort of memory leak or something that compounds the issues over long play sessions, because the crashes I got were after long farming sessions IIRC. They did patch the game to reduce these issues from when I was playing the game on Switch, but none of them are completely eliminated. I can tell you the Steam version runs much better than even the post-patch Switch version from personal experience, to the point where I can actually do the button inputs for the special moves there - even a basic QCF was giving me trouble on Switch.

AFAIK both Curse games run fine on Switch.

hatty posted:

More games should lie to you like Simons Quest
It's more that the dogshit translation renders most of the dialog into nonsense, so you can't even tell if the game's lying to you or if "graveyard duck" is supposed to mean something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The villagers weren't any more helpful in the Japanese version.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They're scared of Draculas.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's not my fault i spooked you with a lovely riddle, i got all kinds of Draculas on my back!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

drat tgm is kinda dope

Absolutely. TGM has the best gamefeel of all the Tetris games IMO. The way the pieces click into place, the sounds it makes; just feels “crunchy”. Hard as poo poo but I’ll spend a lot more hours on this to wrap my head around 20g gameplay

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

simon's quest is extremely good

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What horrible timing to release Nintendo Switch Sports Golf. It’s way too late… fired that game up and remembered how I lost interest in all the unlockables. The golf itself is also identical to all the other golf games. I guess if you want to play 5 holes elimination style you have that. It’s a shame these games don’t have any of the training mini games where you have to hit targets and such.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

An Actual Princess posted:

simon's quest is extremely good

It's never a horrible night to have a curse if you're out questing with Simon

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bloody tears on its own redeems all of Simon’s quest’s crimes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Simons Quest was fun playing it once but the level design is kinda lame and it only has two and a half bosses. I usually skip it when doing a series replay

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

bloody tears on its own redeems all of Simon’s quest’s crimes

This

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

hatty posted:

Simons Quest was fun playing it once but the level design is kinda lame and it only has two and a half bosses. I usually skip it when doing a series replay

Iirc you can just walk past death and take the Dracula part. You dont bother him, he doesn't bother you

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

edit: how is the d pad?

Chunky and a little mushy but it still has a decent click to it. I haven't used it much other than to test menus but it definitely works great!

I think a lot of the buttons are generally mushier, a bit like an SNES but not where near as mushy. Think middle of the road no name PC controller, fully functional but perhaps not at the same caliber as say a dual sense.

I do prefer the pro controller button feel but just barely, these feel a little bit cheaper but they are definitely better than the stock joy cons! If You're picky about your button feel, though I do think the hori split pad is supposed to be better. gently caress no rumble and no gyro tho

I had a really good time playing with them last night, at around 30 bucks a pop I recommend you pick them up if you're even slightly interested. You can go even cheaper and get the full set for around 30 bucks instead of 60 if you go through AliExpress but I'm impatient and would rather get them from a US shipper

Anyways, 24 hours in this is feeling like a great purchase so far! I'll report if I run into any issues.

I also really hope we see more high-end joycon alternatives. I'm sure Nintendo doesn't love the idea of options when it comes to their crappy overpriced first party offerings though

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 2, 2022

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I know I’m like a decade late but I’m having a blast with Skyrim. The survival mode also owns bones and actually adds suspense to riding out into the cold forests and mountains.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Have $50 eshop credit, trying to decide what to get:
-Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury
-Ace Attorney: Turnabout Collection + a year of switch online
-the Ogre Battle remake

Could use suggestions thanks

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-the Ogre Battle remake

Excellent choices all round, but my vote goes to Super Mario. Bowser's Fury alone is the absolute best 3D Mario has ever been, and 3D World is fantastic too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-the Ogre Battle remake

They are all good choices but AA + online is probably the best value

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-the Ogre Battle remake

Kirby.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm finishing up dragon marked for death and this is def the worst inticreates game that I've played. an arcadey multiplayer inticreates game has a lot of potential but the progression feels all off, the level curve is really punishing to underleveled characters and everything is so grindy, plus even though level and enemy variety is decent the loot variety is super lacking, i can count the number of times I've changed gear on one hand

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Looper posted:

I'm finishing up dragon marked for death and this is def the worst inticreates game that I've played. an arcadey multiplayer inticreates game has a lot of potential but the progression feels all off, the level curve is really punishing to underleveled characters and everything is so grindy, plus even though level and enemy variety is decent the loot variety is super lacking, i can count the number of times I've changed gear on one hand

Pretty sure it was originally intended as a f2p/live service game, so this completely tracks

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

giogadi posted:

Absolutely. TGM has the best gamefeel of all the Tetris games IMO. The way the pieces click into place, the sounds it makes; just feels “crunchy”. Hard as poo poo but I’ll spend a lot more hours on this to wrap my head around 20g gameplay

i'm still not clicking with the way pieces rotate in tgm yet, it feels a lot more strict than guideline games. i haven't been able to crack level 500 because a piece always snags on *something* and ruins my stack before then

it's super fun though!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-the Ogre Battle remake

Throwing in another vote for Ace Attorney.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bug Squash posted:

Excellent choices all round, but my vote goes to Super Mario. Bowser's Fury alone is the absolute best 3D Mario has ever been, and 3D World is fantastic too.

My brain must be broken because as much as I enjoy Mario games, both 2d and 3d, Bowser's Fury was a big ol' "whatever" for me. I beat it, but I didn't care about any of it while playing. I just wanted it over with.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Bowser's Fury was fine. Not great, and I would argue not even very good. It's just fine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oops forgot I had Dragon Quest Treasures preordered on the eshop and they just charged me. Hopefully it’s good?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

giogadi posted:

Wait are we talking about the Arcade Archive game? That's like 8 bucks?

gently caress I'm not even going to question that. I can pay that money for a novelty even if I never win.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Oops forgot I had Dragon Quest Treasures preordered on the eshop and they just charged me. Hopefully it’s good?

I have watched multiple videos and I still don't get what the game actually is

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wait are we talking about the Arcade Archive game? That's like 8 bucks?

gently caress I'm not even going to question that. I can pay that money for a novelty even if I never win.

yeah, slam that buy button already

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bleck posted:

Bowser's Fury was fine. Not great, and I would argue not even very good. It's just fine.

It's 3 hours to beat, 6 hours to 100%. Based on length alone I don't think it's a must play. I wish they'd make a full game like that, but you know, Nintendo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Astro7x posted:

It's 3 hours to beat, 6 hours to 100%. Based on length alone I don't think it's a must play. I wish they'd make a full game like that, but you know, Nintendo

Nintendo's track record with open world games:

BotW: A god drat masterpiece, bad combat, weapon durability breaks brains
Pokemon SV: Great experience but very buggy and glitchy gameplay.
BotW2: Still not out yet over 5 years later, but will be 2023 GotY (or I will loving cry)

Conclusion: An open world Mario would be god drat sick but would either need like ten years to be legit or it'd be glitchy and flawed as gently caress.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Astro7x posted:

Based on length alone I don't think it's a must play.

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

yeah, slam that buy button already

Looks like I just got another Tetris game (that's 4! Puyo Puyo Tetris 1, Tetris 99 paid version, Tetris Effect, and Grand Master).

I love Tetris.