Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is there a tibia mariner in the snowfield? There’s usually one as a summoner for the giant skeletons (though iirc the ones at Mohgwyn are summoned by albinaurics instead) but I’ve never found anyone summoning the dragonkin guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

Is there a tibia mariner in the snowfield? There’s usually one as a summoner for the giant skeletons (though iirc the ones at Mohgwyn are summoned by albinaurics instead) but I’ve never found anyone summoning the dragonkin guys

Well now I'm doubting myself. It has been a bit since I played, but I remember one that was tricky to find in SOME snow covered area. I sort of stumbled on him by accident derping around with Torrent to see if I could get places.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

skasion posted:

They appear to just exist and spawn endlessly, there's no-one summoning them that anyone has ever found.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lord_Magmar posted:

They appear to just exist and spawn endlessly, there's no-one summoning them that anyone has ever found.

I stand deflected?...erected?...connected?... I was wrong on this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

HaB posted:

There is a Tibia Mariner in a frozen graveyard, who is indeed very annoying to find. But there's nothing summoning the dragonkin soldiers, the one in the graveyard just summons 3 big skeletons.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

HaB posted:

You're probably thinking of the Mariner in the Mountaintops of the Giants that's on the way to Castle Sol and summons a bunch of giant skeletons. There's a field in the Consecrated Snowfield (the area you open up with the Haligtree Secret Medallion) where giant ghosts appear that are like the Dragonkin Soldier bosses you find underground, and I haven't managed to find anything summoning them. Easy to mix up since all the snow places look the same, no worries!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

https://i.imgur.com/hFftm7d.mp4
These funbuckets.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

It's extra fun when you're fighting the second of the double Night's Cavalry and a few hits from finishing it off, but then you run a bit in the wrong direction and those guys pop up to wombo combo you like that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Definitely the hardest end-game fight for me, even when I was over leveled.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think there's some puzzle with the lights that you're supposed to do to avoid them, which is why it's so much funnier that absolutely everybody just employs the "hit da bricks" strategy which they've absolutely learned by now if they've gotten to that point

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Consecrated snowfield is such a garbage area. You can tell the thought process was “oh we’re out of time, just sprinkle some random bullshit around and make the visibility low”. It’s a shame when the game starts so strong that the last area is so bad.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Epic High Five posted:

I think there's some puzzle with the lights that you're supposed to do to avoid them, which is why it's so much funnier that absolutely everybody just employs the "hit da bricks" strategy which they've absolutely learned by now if they've gotten to that point

It's amazing how much of the game can be bypassed by hopping on Torrent and knowing where to go. Everything pre-Leyndell other than entry into Leyndell itself, Ainsel River Main (+LoR), and Deeproot Depths can be pulled off without even fighting.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Paracelsus posted:

It's amazing how much of the game can be bypassed by hopping on Torrent and knowing where to go. Everything pre-Leyndell other than entry into Leyndell itself, Ainsel River Main (+LoR), and Deeproot Depths can be pulled off without even fighting.

All souls games suffer from this to some extent. After your first play through how many skeletons and soldiers do you bee line past to start smacking the boss.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

Definitely the hardest end-game fight for me, even when I was over leveled.
3454 damage in 3 hits, pretty sure that character was RL180 with soft-capped vigor, too. Just insane.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's one of my favorite parts of the series tbh, that and I can't recall the last time it did one of my most personally annoying things in games which is not let you back track to explore whenever you want. Sort of ties in to my theory that what really sets Souls games apart is their level design even if my #1 favorite part is the crazy builds you can put together

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Maybe they just wanted to give us a reason to be afraid of Dragonkin. All the ones still alive are kinda pushovers.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:confused:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

The singular Carian Knight that guards the elevator up to Wizzardmom boss. You might know him as "that bastard that parries you to death".

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Aka: He who falls down elevator shaft.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Aka: the 49th semi-boss i rotted to death with Scarlet Rot while sparking them occasionally with lightning bolt.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
The amount of secrets you can find in Raya Lucaria by just walking around a door makes me feel like an idiot.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Don't forget to jump on roofs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A portal opened up and a ball of faces came out and shot halo wraith mortars on its own self until I killed it? Can’t believe they put me in this game

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I really hope that Elden Ring jazz concert gets uploaded sonewhere after it's premiere. How do you even jazz-ify this game's soundtrack? I'm super curious.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Blue Labrador posted:

I really hope that Elden Ring jazz concert gets uploaded sonewhere after it's premiere. How do you even jazz-ify this game's soundtrack? I'm super curious.

It's all about the dodge rolls you don't perform.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

giZm posted:

The singular Carian Knight that guards the elevator up to Wizzardmom boss. You might know him as "that bastard that parries you to death".

I just cheese that guy, not worth the effort

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jump attacks can't be parried as far as I can tell.

The best strat, however, is to do Caria Manor first for Carian Retaliation and then give Moongrumpy a taste of his own medicine.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

giZm posted:

ah, him. I went left from him once and got hit with a magic shotgun blast and forgot to go back

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ever since launch, every time I start the game, I have to disconnect and reconnect my controller to get the game to see it. This is a AAA game that’s been out for months, so if it was effecting everyone, I’m sure they would have patched it by now. So what gives? Is there some weird way of starting the PS5 or games that causes the controller to not be recognized without a disconnect & reconnect? I don’t think I’m doing anything weird.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Bob Socko posted:

This is a AAA game that’s been out for months, so if it was effecting everyone, I’m sure they would have patched it by now.

Lmfao

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I built a new PC this week and have returned to Elden Ring enjoying a breezy solid 60 FPS with everything cranked, and only a teeny tiny few instances of shader stutter.

Night maiden's mist and other cloud-like spell VFX *still* cause my FPS to go down to 40 though.

I also got a new monitor and every time I try to turn on the in-game HDR setting, the colors all become very washed out. Is the HDR setting in-game (if it was working properly) significantly different from what I see by forcing on Windows' auto-HDR with win+alt+b?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Scoss posted:

I also got a new monitor and every time I try to turn on the in-game HDR setting, the colors all become very washed out. Is the HDR setting in-game (if it was working properly) significantly different from what I see by forcing on Windows' auto-HDR with win+alt+b?
I just checked out Elden Ring's HDR and it looked fine to me, and my monitor barely has enough peak brightness to make HDR worth it in the first place. Did you calibrate the HDR from the in-game menu?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Simple, potentially dumb question, does my characters armour weight and/or poise have any effect on my ability to stance break or stagger enemies in pve?

Took a break, getting back into this starting a few new builds and pushing further with my mage as well as unga bunga smash guy.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Simple, potentially dumb question, does my characters armour weight and/or poise have any effect on my ability to stance break or stagger enemies in pve?

Took a break, getting back into this starting a few new builds and pushing further with my mage as well as unga bunga smash guy.

No, your encumbrance and poise don’t affect your offense. (Don’t be overencumbered though)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, what's the lore reason for those Cuckoo knights hanging out in the Frenzied Flame village? I remember being startled when they noticed me and started blasting flames out of their eyes at me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mzbundifund posted:

No, your encumbrance and poise don’t affect your offense. (Don’t be overencumbered though)

Thanks, sticking at medium load on big hammer guy is hard when I insist on wearing the pumpkin helmet. Easier if I'm not min maxing poise at well.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think being at low encumbrance does let you regenerate stamina a little faster, which makes it easier to play more aggressively, but that's counterbalanced by the fact that having non-crap poise and damage reduction makes it a lot safer to play more aggressively.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Hey, what's the lore reason for those Cuckoo knights hanging out in the Frenzied Flame village? I remember being startled when they noticed me and started blasting flames out of their eyes at me.

The Flame Of Frenzy is that good poo poo, you’ll just occasionally see enemies that are all hosed up on it and usually it makes less sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Phenotype posted:

Probably a subjugation squad who went mad either from exposure to the flame or from falling into despair from seeing some truly heinous poo poo.