Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Most critically, the 512gb model comes with a case that has a blue dot in the logo whereas the cheaper ones only have white dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I get it, it’s apparently in vogue to spend billions on blue badges these days.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 2, 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Spent most of last night adding games and playing Vampire Survivors. Also I now have the best version of binding of isaac on a handheld. I liked it on switch, but missed the content updates and the mods that the steam version has. Now I get to play it on a larger screen.

The speakers are so good on this thing as well! James Pond II on the megadrive emulator brought me back to childhood and it just fills the screen so nicely.

I can foresee my gaming being nothing but Steam Deck and PS5 in my future for a long while. :)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Most critically, the 512gb model comes with a case that has a blue dot in the logo whereas the cheaper ones only have white dots.

I only noticed the white zippers in pictures.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

njsykora posted:

The Quest 2 was 100% sold at a loss, they cut down the parts as much as possible from the Quest 1 (simpler headband, cheaper plastic, LED screen instead of OLED) but still were losing money per headset. Nintendo is basically the only console manufacturer who doesn't sell hardware at a loss.
bit late to the party but you're wrong on the second part as well, only console manufacturer selling at a loss on the hardware per-unit (barring a few months at launch, and the whole component issue recently) is.. microsoft. there's a lot of reporting who take what they said in the epic v apple case on their ability to profit on hardware at face-value and speaking for the rest of the industry when they're the outliers

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kin posted:

For some reason, I've found that the emulators and things like anydesk can't actually see the run/media/mmcblk0p1 or whatever file path.

I dunno how to fix it or even if it can be fixed.

Get Flatseal from the Discover store and open it. On the left, scroll down to your thing. In the main part of the window, scroll down to Filesystem. Click the Folder icon next to Other files. By default, your MicroSD is mounted to /run/media/mmcblk0p1.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was on the fence, but seeing the 64 GB model goes on reservations convinced me to splurge on the 256 GB model (I was considering that model anyway as the best midpoint between price and space). Sure hope I didn't make an expensive mistake :v: (I kid mostly, I hear mostly good things nowadays)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Unlucky7 posted:

I was on the fence, but seeing the 64 GB model goes on reservations convinced me to splurge on the 256 GB model (I was considering that model anyway as the best midpoint between price and space). Sure hope I didn't make an expensive mistake :v: (I kid mostly, I hear mostly good things nowadays)

I've got the 256GB plus a decent sized SD card and have zero complaints. You'll have a great time with it!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a "do this first" list for new Deck owners?

Like, essential setup stuff?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Check all the inputs are working.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That aperture labs thing is pretty ok for testing all the inputs

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I am almost finished writing the beginner's guide. The draft is here. I need to rewrite the section on the power settings menu because it's outdated and just wrong in some parts. If you have any additions or corrections before I close it, please lmk.

Annath posted:

Calibrate the analog sticks. The default dead zones are far too generous.
Play Aperture Desk Job.
Press ... and explore the menus.
Hold the Steam button to show all the shortcuts. Memorize your favorites.
Change notification settings.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 2, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Annath posted:

Try playing a game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Opening the box and turning it on is top of the list if you wanna get sassy

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

lordfrikk posted:

Try playing a game.

But for no more than five minutes! Then say "wow, I can't believe I'm playing Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on a handheld!" and move to another game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stop being so sarcastic. The first thing you gotta do is sniff the top vent.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Real ones know you only sniff the vent after it’s warmed up a little for maximum effect, not just cold out of the box

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Buy Vampire Survivors for it! Perfect handheld game!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heran Bago posted:

I am almost finished writing the beginner's guide. The draft is here. I need to rewrite the section on the power settings menu because it's outdated and just wrong in some parts. If you have any additions or corrections before I close it, please lmk.

Calibrate the analog sticks. The default dead zones are far too generous.
Play Aperture Desk Job.
Press ... and explore the menus.
Hold the Steam button to show all the shortcuts. Memorize your favorites.
Change notification settings.

Also, get Deck Cleaner installed!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've abandoned my Deck because pokemon came out and honestly I feel almost bad about it. I love you Deck! I'll be back soon. If nothing else I haven't played Vampire Survivors in like a week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Party Boat posted:

But for no more than five minutes! Then say "wow, I can't believe I'm playing Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on a handheld!" and move to another game.

Hey I actually finished Revengeance on the Deck.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I've abandoned my Deck because pokemon came out and honestly I feel almost bad about it. I love you Deck! I'll be back soon. If nothing else I haven't played Vampire Survivors in like a week.

I did this and it made my hands and wrists hurt so bad I had to quit for a while.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thank you for this rec. I will install it when I get home.

Are there other neat utilities or extras that are must haves? I have installed all the games I want at least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for this rec. I will install it when I get home.

Are there other neat utilities or extras that are must haves? I have installed all the games I want at least.

Decky Loader for plugins, then install ProtonDB Badges. It’ll put the ProtonDB ranking on the game page which are often more reliable than the verification system. Like Dirt 3 is listed as unsupported but is perfectly playable with a gold badge on ProtonDB.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

If you have some modern AAA games that are Deck verified (or ProtonDB says run well) then take those for a spin. Playing some of those big, graphically intense games at 40/60fps on a handheld is absolutely mindblowing.

Then go back to something like Vampire Survivors, Binding of Isaac or Hades, which is where we all know the Deck really shines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What strategy are people using to deal with multi-disc games and Steam ROM Manager? I can think of a few ways to alter the parser globs but I’d have to do it for a bunch of parsers so maybe there’s a better way.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Party Boat posted:

I've got the 256GB plus a decent sized SD card and have zero complaints. You'll have a great time with it!

Yeah, I can echo this.

It's apparently not difficult to replace the SSD on the 64 GB model with a much larger drive but, while I'm perfectly comfortable mucking around in a desktop machine, cracking open something like the Deck is a bit too daring for my (very cowardly) blood.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah a 256 GB SD card has been fine for me too. I keep having plans to upgrade the internal 64GB but I haven't run into a space wall. Aside from having FFXIV installed all the time at around ~70GB, everything else moves around. I only keep what I'm playing installed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You all should get the iFixit Essential Electronics Toolkit. It's a lot less intimidating to open stuff up when you have the proper tools. Plus they're the same ones demoed in the iFixit tutorials.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have that kit and use it constantly, though mine is an older version. Highly recommend it!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Subjunctive posted:

What strategy are people using to deal with multi-disc games and Steam ROM Manager? I can think of a few ways to alter the parser globs but I’d have to do it for a bunch of parsers so maybe there’s a better way.

The emudeck install youtube video I used had me create m3u files listing the disc names in order, then the Ps1 emulator read that and just...picks the right disc I guess?

I just deleted the extra discs from the steam library.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Is there any functional difference between the cheapest model + a whopper of an SD card and an anti glare screen protector & the most expensive model, other than a few seconds of loading time?

The one thing that can be annoying is the shader cache, which is on the internal drive and can get fairly large. So definitely:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It'll be handy if you ever need to take out a large shader cache. The shader cache is precompiled shaders for games you have or had installed, ready for use on the Steam Deck's GPU. Shader compilation can cause stutters or loading delays because the CPU is only so fast and they have to be compiled from an intermediate language into a binary form that works with the GPU installed. There's no need to periodically delete it, but if you notice your internal drive is fuller than you expect and you need some space, Deck Cleaner can do that for you.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tell me if i've got this wrong. when you install any gme you'll get the .NET and... whatever frameworks necessary and they're all siloed and there will be a bunch of redundant ones that take up space. And iif you uninstall a game, it doesn't delete that stuff. gently caress shaders, this appears to be what's taking up my space. am i misunderstanding this?

Heroic at least puts this stuff in folders that have the game's name, so you can manually delete them.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

jokes posted:

I have that kit and use it constantly, though mine is an older version. Highly recommend it!

The older version is better because the tool cores are metal rather than hardy plastic. If you know you know.

I sliced some extra slits in mine to add tools like toothpick, q-tip, and bamboo skewer. Totally ruined it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Steam games use a unified version of all the .net whatever’s just like they do on desktop I believe, only non-steam games have them separate

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heran Bago posted:

The older version is better because the tool cores are metal rather than hardy plastic. If you know you know.

gently caress yeah

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am looking through my list of games through the Verified/Playable filters, and oooohhh noooo only 300 of my games are verified what to I doooo...

Seriously though it does look like a good number of my games are at least marked Playable (to say nothing of games that may be good but are untested). The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is when it says that text may be too small. I get that it would vary between games but are there egregious examples?

EDIT: Also, dumb question, but will I be able to get the cloud saves from the PC version of the games I play onto my Deck? I suspect saved settings may be a slight issue?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 2, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I got mine because it came with a matte screen and I'd prefer not to have to do surgery on a several hundred dollar device.

Could I do it? Certainly. Did I want to?

No.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also, dumb question, but will I be able to get the cloud saves from the PC version of the games I play onto my Deck? I suspect saved settings may be a slight issue?

If it's a Windows game then you shouldn't have any problems but if it's a Linux game then it depends on the game. You can usually get the cloud save to work between Linux and Windows. Some games, like Inscryption, you have to do some workarounds to get it working while others, like Tomb Raider, just plain don't cross over from Linux to Windows.

Edit: If it doesn't cross over then you're better off forcing the windows version to install by going to compatibility and telling it to use Proton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Is there any functional difference between the cheapest model + a whopper of an SD card and an anti glare screen protector & the most expensive model, other than a few seconds of loading time?

njsykora posted:

No, the drive is the only significant difference between models. They all have the same hardware inside otherwise.

Don't forget the feeling of self-loathing you get when you think about how you could have gotten a better one every time you look at it.