Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair really you are shooting Necromorphs probably 85% of the game. Unfortunately fighting Necromorphs isn't very fun either because the encounter design is loving terrible in DS3.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Bunch of stuff

This is a fair assessment, but I find most of the differences listed to be pretty subtle in practice. I wouldn't argue that DS2 isn't a breakneck paced action game, but that is how I view the first one mostly as well. It's definitely a bit slower and and less full of setpieces, but I just don't view DS1 as much of a suvival horror either. Nothing you said is wrong though. I just don't really see any of that stuff as strong enough to support the Alien/Aliens comparison the Dead Space games always get.

I disagree that the setting is scarier though. DS2 feels more lived in which is spookier to me. Most of Dead Space is non descript catwalks and space machinery that does god knows what. DS2 being mostly destroyed residential areas gave it a spookier tone to me personally. Neither game is all that scary though imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DS1 and DS2's conceptualization of horror is mostly that loud = scary, which is, in fairness, not an uncommon assumption in horror media

it's odd because they do know how to create moments of genuine tension - the return to the ishimura in DS2 is loving terrifying, as is the first introduction of those bird guys in the temple - but more often than not they prefer to do the most low rent poo poo possible like the sprinklers in the asylum randomly turning on at 200 decibels

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My Callisto Protocol review is now live.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I don’t even want to finish this game which I have not felt in a long time

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 2, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

My Callisto Protocol review is now live.

Good review. I have one question since you have played the whole thing.

Assuming someone is already a fan of the genre, do you think they'd walk away from it feeling ripped off for $70 bux or is it worth dealing with it's shortcomings? The length not being an issue, just the overall quality of the game. Seems like you thought it had enough redeemable qualities to be worth playing, but if you had to buy it personally would you have grabbed it at launch or waited for a sale?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Assuming someone is already a fan of the genre, do you think they'd walk away from it feeling ripped off for $70 bux or is it worth dealing with it's shortcomings? The length not being an issue, just the overall quality of the game. Seems like you thought it had enough redeemable qualities to be worth playing, but if you had to buy it personally would you have grabbed it at launch or waited for a sale?

I wouldn't have bought it at all, personally, even as a survival horror fanatic. It feels like it's actively trying to thwart any attempt you make towards having fun with it.

There's a bit I didn't end up running in the final draft of the review: a blind run through TCP on medium difficulty feels like you're playing a horror tabletop game with a drunk GM who's had a bad week and is taking it out on you. Stealth is utterly useless except in specific situations and areas where it's allowed, enemies frequently spawn in directly beside or behind you, at least one weapon is effectively a red herring (even fully upgraded, it's never worth using, but now its ammo is on the randomized drop table and crowding out the stuff you'd actually use), and the last stretch of the game drops a lot of the combat creativity in favor of enemies that are just big ammo sinks.

A lot of this is stuff that could've been fixed with polish and more testing, so it's possible that TCP could have a No Man's Sky sort of renaissance post-launch, but the best-case scenario here is a theoretical TCP2 that fixes a lot of the jank.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet, thanks for the thoughts.

I feel like I've spent all day basically going "please! Someone tell me to buy this game!" and the response has almost universally been "don't buy it" so I probably should just go finish God Of War this weekend instead haha.

Given the response to the game I'm sure it'll go on sale for cheap within a couple of months and I can regret spending $30 instead of $70.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I got the game as a bundle with a GPU (6800xt) and am disappointed to hear that there's stuttering problems on PC. Hopefully it'll be entertaining for at least the little bit to test out the GPU and see if it can handle non-RT max settings.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Digital Foundry’s performance review is up for Callisto Protocol. Sounds like PS5 is the best running version by far at this point, with XSX having weird stuttering issues and missing ray tracing features when running in the quality mode, and PC exhibiting massive shader compilation stuttering that is so common these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psetdjz01mI

Edit: I get that, since PCs have such varied hardware, GPU shader code can’t be compiled ahead of time like for consoles, but the fact that shaders can be compiled for console makes me think games at least have to have an list of shaders ahead of time (otherwise they couldn’t be pre-compiled for console), so I don’t know what prevents them from being compiled during installation, before the first play through starts, or at least give an option in the many to go ahead and compile them all. I guess maybe they don’t want complaints from players about having to wait longer to play the first time.

Vermain posted:

sad to hear about callisto. might end up holding off for a sale, especially since i'm stuck playing the denuvo-ridden PC port if i wanted to try it

if it truly is a turkey it'll probably be 15% off next year, and that might be a more acceptable price for a middling experience

capcom had the license to build a new engine from the ground up for RE7, since they knew they'd be using it for a whole series of remakes and mainline titles, so it's tailor made for horror games with how it tweens animations and deforms body parts

unreal engine 4 is a workhorse, but it's also very much a generalist engine that's hard to contort into a really focused shape if you're trying to do something where the animations and atmosphere matter a ton like a horror game
People don’t really mention it too much, but Capcom is actually quite technically proficient and puts an absolute ton of work into their development and performance measuring tools. Not just RE engine, but their last several have been quite technically compentant and good at scaling across multiple platforms.

Besides having to be very generalist, Unreal Engine still scales rather poorly across multiple cores of modern CPUs. It’s single threaded roots run quite deep and while new systems tend to be added in a more multi core friendly way, there is still no straightforward way to parallelize the code of core gameplay systems.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 2, 2022

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
My only gripes are that it's too actiony to be billed as the horror game that it was and that the combat system is really difficult.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I can’t even say that CP feels unfinished or rushed, it feels like it’s hitting all the marks it feels it needs to on setting and narrative, it doesn’t feel like any imaginable cut content would have solved any of the basic problems with the game’s presentation. Same thing with combat. There is a vision here, it’s just not a very good one. The systems are all there and they’re poorly thought out, not poorly implemented or untuned.

The one thing I suspect might have been a rush job is the dodge system. It feels like it was meant to take directional maneuvering into account (whoever said it feels like a boxing game upthread nailed it) but at some point they realized that it was simply too difficult to account for as a player, especially when you’re taking on mobs (as you’re frequently made to) so they made it a simple any-direction rhythm game.

They obviously put a lot of love and thought into the melee combat but don’t seem to have ever considered whether it was a good fit for the game they were making. It isn’t. It’s like a very weird total conversion mod for a boxing game.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pulcinella posted:

Digital Foundry’s performance review is up...

I wonder how much better the PS5 can do with with hardware texture compression/decompression with kracken compared to pc. GoW: Ragnarok has crazy fast loading.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

I can’t even say that CP feels unfinished or rushed, it feels like it’s hitting all the marks it feels it needs to on setting and narrative, it doesn’t feel like any imaginable cut content would have solved any of the basic problems with the game’s presentation. Same thing with combat. There is a vision here, it’s just not a very good one. The systems are all there and they’re poorly thought out, not poorly implemented or untuned.

A lot about the game made more sense to me when I found out it had started out as something else. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, of course, but TCP has a lot of seams showing. It was put together from loose parts into a not-quite-cohesive whole, which becomes increasingly obvious in the back half of the game.

There are people for whom it's absolutely going to resonate regardless of that, and I'm currently hearing from several of them in the Bloody Disgusting comments section, but there are a lot of petty frustrations in the current version of the game.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Trickortreat posted:

I am playing through the Medium, and it made me realize how much I hate stealth missions with an instant fail system built in. I read that the stealth missions are far and few in between but the way it's implemented in this game has to be one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've come across in a while. I'm getting flashbacks to Outlast 2 where after the 10th death while you find your way out of a maze, my frustration overtook fear and I ended up uninstalling the entire thing.

The stunning visuals and interesting story will probably force me to tread through it. Terrible game design.

Genuinely, do yourself a favour and just read the wiki summary and save yourself the time.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

hotdog feet posted:

This thread has saved me so much loving money on games, it's ridiculous. Really glad i waited for GOON OPINIONS on Callisto Protocol. At least I still have Dead Space to look forward to.

:same:

I was so excited for this game and now I'm excited to try it in like a year when it hopefully runs well and is cheaper

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Do you know what's probably a better game than Calisto Protocol and was also released today? Burnhouse Lane from the makers of The Cat Lady.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1598732338133110784

ahh good

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
They probably restarted the game after the PUBG universe backlash.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

They probably restarted the game after the PUBG universe backlash.

my suspicion is that the PUBG thing was always some stupid marketing gimmick that was meant to raise the game's public profile, since "a horror game set in the funny battle royale universe?? buh????" is the perfect kind of tonal clash that gets people to click on a twitter link to find out more

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

e* but I repeat myself

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, I'm gonna refund Callisto on performance grounds. It's kinda weird, walking around feels smooth and fine, but it turns into a slideshow the instant anything crazy happens like the camera wanting to jump around or scary sparks bursting out of a console. With all the reviews coming in, I don't mind waiting for a big sale price to reconsider giving it a shot. I'm glad I went with Steam this time, I had a feeling preordering this one was gonna be more of a gamble than normal on multiple fronts.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vermain posted:

my suspicion is that the PUBG thing was always some stupid marketing gimmick that was meant to raise the game's public profile, since "a horror game set in the funny battle royale universe?? buh????" is the perfect kind of tonal clash that gets people to click on a twitter link to find out more

Ever since I heard that I had an image of Schofield giving lip service to some faceless executive who wanted the game to tie in with PUBG and then went off and immediately started making another Dead Space type game that had no association. Probably the right move even if the ultimate result seems lacking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I had no idea pubg had a universe to tie into.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So Callisto is basically FFXIII, only gore instead of anime? Little to nothing in the way of side-quests, exploration, set-pieces, puzzles, or unlockables. Not even a giant baby in a basement that swallows you whole.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Game won't even launch for me so I guess I'm waiting for that patch releasing sometime today before throwing in the towel and refunding.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://imgur.com/a/U9S8lWO

WEVE BUILT A WORLD CLASS

huh?? I feel like i've been ovaltine decoder ring'd

I was kind of expecting hidden messages again after the whole alien alphabet thing in dead space.

Found a quote by the Companies CEO Glen Schofield that starts with the hidden text.

quote:

And here’s an introduction from Schofield himself:

“The Callisto Protocol is the culmination of decades of experience building AAA game. [We’ve built a world class] studio of passionate developers that is ready to once again tackle one of our all-time favorite genres—survival horror. We’re setting out to make one of the most terrifying games of all time, and we can’t wait to share more about The Callisto Protocol next year.”

bummer

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 3, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gonna wait for at least a patch to fix the stuttering before I even start playing Calisto P and pass judgment.

Also on my previous dumb question about DLC getting added, I realized I conflated two messages that are entirely separate together. Whoops!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
PUBG just ended a Dead By Daylight crossover.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Played a bit this evening on ps5. It's fine - perfectly serviceable as an action horror game. It's not very scary and the story is dumb, but visually it's impressive and the gameplay isn't that bad (keep in mind I'm playing on easy).

I think if you go in expecting dead space 4 you'll be disappointed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
with callisto getting a raspberry i've instead restarted dead space on the series x

more than anything else, i really wish there was a way to turn off the violin sting any time a necromorph notices you. not only is it obnoxious, it defeats the purpose of the rest of the sound design - the game's constant clamor always has you wondering if part of the noise is a ghoulie about to grab you, which is sabotaged by a dedicated HERE'S AN ENEMY signal

also it's still funny how the most optimal way to play by far is to just never equip any other weapons beyond the starting plasma cutter. more ammo than you can ever need with minimal loss of utility

in terms of performance the xbox doesn't clean up the aliasing or increase the framerate, but HDR is fantastic. when the power goes out then it becomes dark dark, just a wall of solid black if you're not using a flashlight

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Has anyone on PC not experienced stutters?

I can kind of see how this could make it past QC. Once the shader compiles for the first time, it’s there, and when you run the game or segment again it won’t need to compile. Testing involves running the same bits over and over and over again, and if it’s jittery the first time only, the testers were probably thinking it was a small thing. Seems like no one played through it start to finish on a fresh install.

The Forza Horizon approach is the best way to handle this IMO. The first time you run it, or after major patches, there’s an “optimizing for your PC” screen for 20-30 seconds. It doesn’t appear again and there’s no stuttering.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oxxidation posted:

also it's still funny how the most optimal way to play by far is to just never equip any other weapons beyond the starting plasma cutter. more ammo than you can ever need with minimal loss of utility

The plasma cutter can deal with every situation all the way to the highest difficulty but you shouldn't discount the other weapons entirely. I found the sweet spot in DS games to be two weapons, by the end of the game you'll have received enough credits/power nodes to fully upgrade both of them whereas if you're spreading everything evenly between 3+ you probably won't reach full potential with any of them. You also have the issue where you might run out of ammo for the gun you're using most of the time because different ammo keeps dropping for the more situational ones. In DS1 the Force Gun was always my favorite complement, you can cut off limbs surgically with the Plasma Cutter at a distance then if you get overrun by necromorphs you can blast them away from you with the Force gun. In DS2 I generally find the Plasma Rifle to be as good or better than the Plasma Cutter as a main weapon, then you can use the Javelin Gun as a secondary which is the best gun ever made in any video game.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 3, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

the Javelin Gun which is the best gun ever made in any video game.

:hai:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Line gun / plasma rifle with good stasis is the greatest 1-2 combo in Dead Space history.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So Callisto is basically FFXIII, only gore instead of anime? Little to nothing in the way of side-quests, exploration, set-pieces, puzzles, or unlockables. Not even a giant baby in a basement that swallows you whole.

You're right, FFXIII would've been extremely good if the characters had been dropped into the world of Resident Evil 8.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nae posted:

You're right, FFXIII would've been extremely good if the characters had been dropped into the world of Resident Evil 8.

I didn't get past chapter 7 so that might well have happened afterwards.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I miss DS2 when you would play hide and seek with big hosed up zombie emus who would poke their head around corners to silently stare at you

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
How loving bad is that Daymare sequel gonna be?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I miss DS2 when you would play hide and seek with big hosed up zombie emus who would poke their head around corners to silently stare at you

You must have seen some hosed up emus IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m sad TCP is turning out to be kind of a flop :(