Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not a shitpost. To people like Biden, antisemitism mostly means "opposed to apartheid imposed by the Israeli government" and he's making sure Israel knows he has their backs

It's in response to Kanye and Trump dining with Nick Fuentes. He's not communicating with the Israeli government by virtue signaling tweets on a random day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

So if what happened was the anti-labor move, then what would have been the pro-labor move by Congress here?

It sounds like they should've put up a single bill that includes the sick days.

How would that move have likely played out?

Did we have the votes for it to pass or would we have been watching Manchin pull a Slim Pickins at the end of Dr. Strangelove?

Manchin voted no but there were also some dems that abstained from voting over the sick day bill so I doubt that a single bill with sick days would have passed. As far as realistic outcomes go, the most pro-labor move congress could have made would be to do nothing at all.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's virtue signaling but not in any specific direction. It's for us, the people.

Mostly it makes me hate Twitter as a medium though. There is something really cringe and upsetting about the President posting "I don't know who needs to hear this but Hitler was evil" in a few more words. It's just so airy and empty that it feels like nothing at all.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

So if what happened was the anti-labor move, then what would have been the pro-labor move by Congress here?

Keep it as one bill, watch it get killed by the reactionaries, then declare support for the strike.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's virtue signaling but not in any specific direction. It's for us, the people.

Mostly it makes me hate Twitter as a medium though. There is something really cringe and upsetting about the President posting "I don't know who needs to hear this but Hitler was evil" in a few more words. It's just so airy and empty that it feels like nothing at all.

Going after it in a real way would mean finding out that mainstream politicians, pundits and rich people are behind the people doing this poo poo. Very few democrats have the guts to name names of their regional oligarchs that send hundreds of thousands of bucks to deranged fascists, but the documentation is there if you look for it. The Mercers used to be Milo’s sugar parents, and nobody really made much of it outside of the circles of researchers and observers of right wing subcultures.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm also not a big fan of saying that Hitler was a "demonic figure", because he wasn't a demon, he was a human like everyone else. By invoking the supernatural, even as a metaphor, It avoids confronting the ugly truth that normal people in power still have the capacity to do great evil.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Hitler thing was in direct response to Kanye saying he loved Hitler and saying that God called Hitler to do great things, but we never mention all the good stuff he did!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Hitler thing was in direct response to Kanye saying he loved Hitler and saying that God called Hitler to do great things, but we never mention all the good stuff he did!

I hope it somehow helps.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

I hope it somehow helps.

It probably won't. But, both of the lines are direct responses to specific things Kanye West said yesterday. They aren't randomly directed at the Israeli government.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It probably won't. But, both of the lines are direct responses to specific things Kanye West said yesterday. They aren't randomly directed at the Israeli government.

"Saying X because of Y prompt for the benefit of Z to hear me say" is not a difficult logical process to follow that allows for both things to be true.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

Re: Unions, so why is it that Biden is fine forcing workers to accept a contract they don't want to avoid a strike, but not fine forcing a railway company to accept a contract they don't want to avoid a strike? Like, the whole "this would be disastrous for the economy" thing is obviously just a smokescreen for the fact that he deliberately chose to force the workers to bear the brunt of the damage and not the rich owner class.

Like, I realize this isn't insightful at all it just pisses me off.

It's not actually Biden's decision to make. The decision on how to end the strike is entirely up to Congress, and you're not going to get 11 GOP senators to vote to impose a contract industry doesn't want.

You're also never going to get a majority of senators to say "rail strikes are awesome and we fully support the entire rail industry being shut down as long as workers need to get what they want". The impact of a rail strike in the modern just-in-time economy is way too huge. As far as I can tell, the longest that any modern national rail strike has been allowed to go on before political actors forced an end to it was four days (the 1982 rail strike, under Reagan)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not actually Biden's decision to make. The decision on how to end the strike is entirely up to Congress, and you're not going to get 11 GOP senators to vote to impose a contract industry doesn't want.

You're also never going to get a majority of senators to say "rail strikes are awesome and we fully support the entire rail industry being shut down as long as workers need to get what they want". The impact of a rail strike in the modern just-in-time economy is way too huge. As far as I can tell, the longest that any modern national rail strike has been allowed to go on before political actors forced an end to it was four days (the 1982 rail strike, under Reagan)

All that tells me is they should’ve let the strike go a few days and used it to force the bosses to concede on sick time.

If you are not allowed to strike what power, ultimately, do you have as a union that is not at the pleasure of the bosses?

If the limits of your ability to negotiate are predicated on the fact that a bought-and-paid-for political establishment can and will shut down your civil rights (free association and speech) under penalty of fines or imprisonment, you don’t really have those rights, do you?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not literally his decision to make, but it was functionally his decision because the reason it sailed through is that:

1) Averting a strike was the priority because it could damage the economy, impact Christmas season, and endanger water supplies.

2) That he didn't want to set a precedent of congress negotiating the specific details of collective bargaining agreements, so that was why they picked the plan that came out of the union and railroad arbitration negotiations. The sick day bill was passed separately to get votes on record, but everyone knew it would fail.

He wasn't subject to the whims of congress except on the sick day portion. Everything else was chosen specifically because it had already been hashed out by the unions and railroads in negotiations and they could impose it while still technically keeping congress from negotiating the specifics.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Main Paineframe posted:

am i a moron, but doesn't/didnt it need ole bidens autograph?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

World Famous W posted:

am i a moron, but doesn't/didnt it need ole bidens autograph?

Technically yes, but that's just a point of procedure since if he vetoed it it would most likely be overridden

selec
Sep 6, 2003

haveblue posted:

Technically yes, but that's just a point of procedure since if he vetoed it it would most likely be overridden

How long could he delay to allow the strike to go into affect legally?

Edit:

Looked it up, ten days not counting sundays. Just long enough to let the bosses get a taste and fold, IMO.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

selec posted:

How long could he delay to allow the strike to go into affect legally?

He has up to ten days to sign the bill. At that point, if Congress is still in session, it becomes law without his signature, and if it's in recess, it gets pocket vetoed and goes away

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

All that tells me is they should’ve let the strike go a few days and used it to force the bosses to concede on sick time.

If you are not allowed to strike what power, ultimately, do you have as a union that is not at the pleasure of the bosses?

If the limits of your ability to negotiate are predicated on the fact that a bought-and-paid-for political establishment can and will shut down your civil rights (free association and speech) under penalty of fines or imprisonment, you don’t really have those rights, do you?

A rail strike can't force the bosses to concede, because the railways can easily weather the strike by just shutting everything down for a few days, which has such an enormous impact that it always forces Congress to rapidly intervene. And the president isn't going to veto it, because, again, the enormous impact of a rail strike is politically intolerable.

It's not literally his decision to make, but it was functionally his decision because the reason it sailed through is that:

1) Averting a strike was the priority because it could damage the economy, impact Christmas season, and endanger water supplies.

2) That he didn't want to set a precedent of congress negotiating the specific details of collective bargaining agreements, so that was why they picked the plan that came out of the union and railroad arbitration negotiations. The sick day bill was passed separately to get votes on record, but everyone knew it would fail.

He wasn't subject to the whims of congress except on the sick day portion. Everything else was chosen specifically because it had already been hashed out by the unions and railroads in negotiations and they could impose it while still technically keeping congress from negotiating the specifics.

Congress still would have ended the strike even if Biden hadn't said anything. And Congress doesn't ever try to set the specifics of the CBA contract it imposes itself - it either:
  1. takes a deal that's already on the table and imposes it on the unions that didn't agree to it, or
  2. forces the parties to submit to mandatory arbitration by either professional arbitrators or an appointed review board, or
  3. directs an executive figure or agency, such as the Secretary of Labor or a Presidential Emergency Board, to submit a recommended deal

selec
Sep 6, 2003

All the points I’ve been making are predicated on the idea that supporting labor is important, and it seems like we both agree that that’s not a priority for the Dem leadership or most of the membership.

They had several options to support labor and made the choice to support the bosses at every turn.

1. Do nothing: supports labor
2. Do nothing and then go to the bully pulpit and the regulatory options available to support the strike: supports labor
3. Insist the seven days be included in the main bill: supports labor
4. Nationalize the railroads as essential infrastructure: supports labor

They made choices every step of the way that undermined worker power.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Florida is changing their law to allow Ron DeSantis to run for President without giving up his Governorship.

Florida currently has an "intent to run" law that requires officeholders to resign their post once they officially signal their intent to run for federal office.

DeSantis has asked the legislature to make it a priority to remove the law in March 2023 when they reconvene.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1598735009082445824

quote:

MIAMI (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis may need some help from the state Legislature if he proceeds with a highly anticipated bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

A “resign to run” law requires state officeholders to commit to leave their positions if they run for federal office. The measure, which has been on and off the books over the past several decades, was reinstated in 2018. But Republican leaders in the GOP-dominated Legislature have expressed openness to changing or rescinding the law when they gather again in March.

Florida House Speaker Paul Renner recently told reporters that it was a “great idea” to review the law. Senate President Kathleen Passidomo similarly said that changes to the resignation requirement would be a “good idea.”

“If an individual who is a Florida governor is running for president, I think he should be allowed to do it,” she said.

DeSantis is emerging as an early favorite of some Republican donors and activists who are seeking a conservative leader without the baggage associated with former President Donald Trump, who has already announced his 2024 White House bid. In an underwhelming year for Republicans in much of the U.S., many in the party are taking notice of DeSantis’ commanding reelection victory, including his strong performance in longtime Democratic strongholds around Miami.

The governor has dodged questions about his presidential aspirations, telling reporters last month to “chill out” about the subject. But during a debate before the November election, he pointedly declined to answer questions about whether he would serve out his full term. And he’s gained notice for his travel around the country on behalf of other GOP candidates and will release an autobiography next year.

Florida constitutional experts said there’s little ambiguity in the law, likely requiring some type of action by the Legislature.

“There is no ambiguity, no debate, no dispute,” said Bob Jarvis, a professor at Nova Southeastern University’s law school. “Under current law, DeSantis cannot run for president before first resigning as a governor.”

But given the Republican majorities in the Legislature, the law isn’t expected to pose a significant hurdle. The governor didn’t respond to a request for comment about whether he’s calling for a change.

There is precedent for changes to the Florida law to help clear a path for potential candidates for higher office. In 2007, the Republican-controlled Legislature changed the law to prevent problems for then-Gov. Charlie Crist, who was being considered as a possible running mate for Republican John McCain in 2008. Crist later became a Democrat and challenged DeSantis for reelection this year.

“You can make the argument that there is no reason to have this law. The voters all knew that there was a chance that (DeSantis) would not complete his term as governor and that he was at the very least considering a presidential run,” Jarvis said. “No voter could say I was duped into voting for someone.”

Only a handful of states have similar resign-to-run laws. Some say that while the law is clear about politicians having to resign if they seek federal office, it is vague about when they would need to do so. It states the resignation must be submitted at least 10 days before the first day of qualifying for the office.

“There is too much ambiguity,” said Jon McGowan, an attorney that specializes in business and state government law, adding that it is not clear if a candidate would be qualified when he runs for the Republican nomination or for the general election. McGowan says the motivation behind the law “is really about not having endless elections.”

“What we’ll see is they will create a new section so that candidates for president or vice president do not have to resign to run, and just if they win.”

A revision to the law is likely just one piece of a legislative agenda DeSantis would like to oversee next year as a launching pad to a presidential campaign. DeSantis calls his administration and election results a “blueprint” for Republican success.

Education and abortion bills are likely to be filed. Incoming Republican state legislative leaders have referred to a new law limiting instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in early grade school that DeSantis championed, hinting that additional similar legislation could follow.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

selec posted:

All the points I’ve been making are predicated on the idea that supporting labor is important, and it seems like we both agree that that’s not a priority for the Dem leadership or most of the membership.

They had several options to support labor and made the choice to support the bosses at every turn.

1. Do nothing: supports labor
2. Do nothing and then go to the bully pulpit and the regulatory options available to support the strike: supports labor
3. Insist the seven days be included in the main bill: supports labor
4. Nationalize the railroads as essential infrastructure: supports labor

They made choices every step of the way that undermined worker power.

Joe Biden could also rescind the exception for railways in Obama's EO that requires government contractors to give 7 days of sick time to employees.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gyges posted:

Joe Biden could also rescind the exception for railways in Obama's EO that requires government contractors to give 7 days of sick time to employees.

That only covers certain employees directly employed as part of a federal contract. You have to be working a job covered under Davis-Bacon or the SCA. That would be basically 0 members of the current unions.

Also, it only specifies that they have to have at least 1 hour of paid leave for every 30 hours they work. The union members already have a lot of PTO. The issue isn't the amount, it's the lack of ability to call out on the day-of with getting points on their record. So, it wouldn't really do anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elon seems to be making sure to drive away every single person who was foolish enough to not take the severance.

Two weeks of PTO is now "unacceptable" for a major tech company and everyone will be expected to work through the holidays.

Don't worry, there will be some breaks allowed during Christmas day and New Year's Eve.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1598766600685228032

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Live feed from Twitter's offices:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

It sounds like they should've put up a single bill that includes the sick days.

How would that move have likely played out?

Did we have the votes for it to pass or would we have been watching Manchin pull a Slim Pickins at the end of Dr. Strangelove?

Congress could have just not acted.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Elon seems to be making sure to drive away every single person who was foolish enough to not take the severance.

Two weeks of PTO is now "unacceptable" for a major tech company and everyone will be expected to work through the holidays.

Don't worry, there will be some breaks allowed during Christmas day and New Year's Eve.

Does Musky get a special prize if he gets everyone to quit by the end of the year?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not a shitpost. To people like Biden, antisemitism mostly means "opposed to apartheid imposed by the Israeli government" and he's making sure Israel knows he has their backs

I think selec is wrong, but we disagree on more of the process than end result.

You, however, are a piece of radioactive garbage.

The difference between Ye and you is thinner than a beam of light. Ye has said in clear language that Jewish people should die. You are couching your hatred in progressive terms, but you and Ye agree on the end point: Jewish people should just shut up and die already.

No one who harms Jewish people first asks about their opinion about Zionism and go "oops, my bad" and leaves them alone if they support the dismantling of the Isreali state.

Also, anyone who agrees with you can gently caress off right into the sun.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's lovely that he feels that he needs to say it.

The fact that the former president is having Thanksgiving with white supremacists and darling of the right is publicly talking about how Hitler did some good things is much worse, and is what triggers it.

I'm not sure how it's empty given the above.

selec posted:

Holy poo poo we actually completely agree on something.

If congress can make it illegal for you to strike, you don't have the right to strike.

If something is so critical that the workers cannot be allowed to strike then should probably be very well protected in other ways to make up for it. Can't have it both ways.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

He has a veto. He does have control over what happens or doesn't.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jesus III posted:

Does Musky get a special prize if he gets everyone to quit by the end of the year?

He gets to say he helped fulfill a prophecy.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Twincityhacker posted:

I think selec is wrong, but we disagree on more of the process than end result.

You, however, are a piece of radioactive garbage.

The difference between Ye and you is thinner than a beam of light. Ye has said in clear language that Jewish people should die. You are couching your hatred in progressive terms, but you and Ye agree on the end point: Jewish people should just shut up and die already.

No one who harms Jewish people first asks about their opinion about Zionism and go "oops, my bad" and leaves them alone if they support the dismantling of the Isreali state.

Also, anyone who agrees with you can gently caress off right into the sun.

Israel is an apartheid nation and should be an international pariah state.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeadlyMuffin posted:

He has a veto. He does have control over what happens or doesn't.

Yeah, that was what my post was saying.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's lovely that he feels that he needs to say it.

The fact that the former president is having Thanksgiving with white supremacists and darling of the right is publicly talking about how Hitler did some good things is much worse, and is what triggers it.

I'm not sure how it's empty given the above.

None of those are new problems, or very impactful ones in the larger picture of right wing extremism in the US, and it's just words. It doesn't do anything. Trump will dine with white supremacists tomorrow, Kanye will love Hitler and want to kiss him on the mouth tomorrow, and there will still be a lot of Nazis.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

More billionaires should set large parts of their fortune on fire just to own the libs/woke mob.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Verus posted:

Yes. And Biden making a statement denouncing anti-semitism isn't a secret message about supporting the Israeli state, which is what Elephant Ambush was implying.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Verus posted:

And somehow saying "the state sponsered genocide of Jewish people was bad" is somehow related to modern Isreal how exactly?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Verus posted:

Know how people hate it when some equate anti-Semitism with anti-Zionism? Well saying the Holocaust happened and that Hitler was a bad person isn't doing this. In fact denouncing anti-Semitism is seen as a good thing and doesn't mean you support Israel. Equating the two is just some more anti-semitic bullshit.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Florida is changing their law to allow Ron DeSantis to run for President without giving up his Governorship.

Florida currently has an "intent to run" law that requires officeholders to resign their post once they officially signal their intent to run for federal office.

DeSantis has asked the legislature to make it a priority to remove the law in March 2023 when they reconvene.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1598735009082445824

lol of fcourse FL would remove one of the few things they got right.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Congress could have just not acted.

This seems to be the prevailing line of thought.

So assuming Congress doesn't act, most suggest this most likely leads to a strike.

Disregarding for the moment other concerns a potential strike might lead to, would it have been likely to result in the railworkers getting their sick days?

Or potentially an even better result, if the strike caused such damaging ripple effects in the economy; not just economic, but people suffering from lack of essentials (endanger water supplies, important chemicals, etc) might people then recognize the need for that particular job to be nationalized to protect nationalist interests? In other words an argument for localized accelerationism. Would a strike have been likely to impose enough pain on the larger national population that it leads to the railroads being nationalized?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Jesus III posted:

It's like shooting the moon in Hearts