Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
short games are must plays, perhaps even more than long games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Looper posted:

short games are must plays, perhaps even more than long games

Hell yeah.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Astro7x posted:

It's 3 hours to beat, 6 hours to 100%. Based on length alone I don't think it's a must play. I wish they'd make a full game like that, but you know, Nintendo

They did.

It's called Mario Odyssey.

Personally i thought Bowser's Fury was the perfect length to not overstay its welcome. 100%'d it the day I bought it, and that was good enough for me.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Have $50 eshop credit, trying to decide what to get:
-Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury
-Ace Attorney: Turnabout Collection + a year of switch online
-the Ogre Battle remake

Could use suggestions thanks
Is it a year online with the expansion pack? If not I wouldn't let that influence your decision at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just want to say that I think it's BS that there's no good way to play Vigilante 8.

I'm still trying to find a legitimate, legal copy that works on my emulator.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As a mod, gently caress legality.

e: Note that this not an endorsement of illegal activity. Just, uh, keep in mind that we may have to enforce stuff, so the more roundabout your directions go, the better. I'll do my best not to hit people for offering QoL suggestions though.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 2, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

I just want to say that I think it's BS that there's no good way to play Vigilante 8.

I'm still trying to find a legitimate, legal copy that works on my emulator.

isn't it on the ps3 shop?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

👀

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay Pokemon, I can look past your glitches cause I'm having fun. But if you do the glitch where it loads a pókeball or a pokemon at doorways using my Brambleghast again giving me a scare I swear...

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

bad combat, weapon durability breaks brain

Skill issue.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fsmhunk posted:

Skill issue.

I did use skill in BotW though.

My skill was to avoid combat entirely, and it made the game that much better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like being a link who only kills if he has to, so I pretty much avoided combat too unless it was quest related. Which there was plenty of

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Have $50 eshop credit, trying to decide what to get:
-Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury
-Ace Attorney: Turnabout Collection + a year of switch online
-the Ogre Battle remake

Could use suggestions thanks

Thank you for everyone’s feedback, went with Ace Attorney. Will wait for a sale on Tactics Ogre.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
As a non-mod gently caress yeah piracy!!! I fully endorse it

Ironically I've spent a huge amount of money on legitimate purchases including games I never played or liked after all

Buying games is fun too

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ok

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just dropped my switch, it landed perfectly on the L button, and now the L button is dead.

RIP joycon.

It’s pretty amazing that I still have functional SNES and NES controllers from my childhood. They’ve been thrown, dropped, bitten, and bent. This fuckin’ thing falls three feet once and it’s toast.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Your Switch weighs about 7x more than your SNES controller does.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Having recently replayed botw durability does hurt the game, but only in that it makes all the utility "weapons" annoying to deal with both due to inventory space and introducing an action limit on any puzzle that demands hitting something (mostly just one stasis shrine but the fact that they hand you two hammers there says a lot). As far as actual combat goes it's mostly fine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

isn't it on the ps3 shop?

Do I look like I own a Playing Station Three???

In other news, I got all the SF Rush games to work.
If anyone is doing phone emulation, the Razer Kishi is really convenient.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wildtortilla posted:

I just dropped my switch, it landed perfectly on the L button, and now the L button is dead.

RIP joycon.

It’s pretty amazing that I still have functional SNES and NES controllers from my childhood. They’ve been thrown, dropped, bitten, and bent. This fuckin’ thing falls three feet once and it’s toast.

Tell them it has drift, send it in, get a fixed joycon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think my favourite types of games aren't the long ones, but the wide ones; you can get to the canonical end fairly quickly, but there's a ton of extra side stuff to do.

Girth is better than length, is what I'm saying here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think my favourite types of games aren't the long ones, but the wide ones; you can get to the canonical end fairly quickly, but there's a ton of extra side stuff to do.

Girth is better than length, is what I'm saying here.

I love a real chode of a game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like a game that loving stinks of smegma.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like a game that loving stinks of smegma.

Then good news gamer, Bulletstorm: Duke of Switch Edition is on sale now for $5.99 only on the Nintendo eShop!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Conclusion: An open world Mario would be god drat sick but would either need like ten years to be legit or it'd be glitchy and flawed as gently caress.

Part of me kind of thinks the open-world format just wouldn't work well for a franchise like Mario, but I thought the same about Sonic and Frontiers actually kicks rear end so maybe it could work

Especially if they use the "open zone" format where the open world is actually just several very large overworlds with portals to more "classic" Mario levels scattered about

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, like a Marioidvania.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Part of me kind of thinks the open-world format just wouldn't work well for a franchise like Mario, but I thought the same about Sonic and Frontiers actually kicks rear end so maybe it could work

Especially if they use the "open zone" format where the open world is actually just several very large overworlds with portals to more "classic" Mario levels scattered about
Yeah, and the portals could look like paintings!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Mega64 posted:

Must be a Scarlet exclusive cause I missed that pokemon.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After all my posts recently fretting about what to buy, I ended I not buying anything and instead getting sucked back into Monster Sanctuary.

I tried playing this twice before and both times petered out with monsters level 15ish. Turns out all I needed to do was start hitting level 20 because that’s when skills that start making team synergy really pop.

Holy smokes!

I’ve got this chill (a debuff that
slows enemies mana regen )based team. It was doing okay but now chill ALSO 1) can stack, 2) is a DoT, 3) increases the dmg I do to chill-inflicted enemies, and (i think) 4) increases crit chance when attacking chill-inflicted enemies.

Now I am tearing through enemies like mad. I’m drunk with power.

I’m working on a other team that’s built around big regen heals, active heals that buff + remove debuffs, and inflicting debuffs.

This game rules and I wish I hadn’t sat on it for a year!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mega64 posted:

I did use skill in BotW though.

My skill was to avoid combat entirely, and it made the game that much better.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like being a link who only kills if he has to, so I pretty much avoided combat too unless it was quest related. Which there was plenty of

Thirding this.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah Monster Sanctuary is good. It looks like they've even released a free dlc since I last played it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah Monster Sanctuary is good. It looks like they've even released a free dlc since I last played it.

Ya they released it between my first and second attempts. I would not still be playing if it weren’t for the huge improvements to the map in the DLC.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Open world can def work with Mario, Bowser's Fury is basically a proof of concept for it.

quote:

They did this in Sunshine and Odyssey

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

Oops forgot I had Dragon Quest Treasures preordered on the eshop and they just charged me. Hopefully it’s good?

Dang I didn't even think that was being released this year. I'll be keeping an eye on reviews for it, looks like it could be right up my alley

ImpAtom posted:

I have watched multiple videos and I still don't get what the game actually is

well, you see there's...okay so there's like a...dragon...and there's quests involved with this, uh, dragon, and adjacent to this dragon, or I'm I guess kept by it, there are also treasures....though actually maybe the treasures aren't related to the dragon but are still there for the quests.

Okay so imagine that there's this quest-

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 3, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sam Faust posted:

Must be a Scarlet exclusive cause I missed that pokemon.

It's the evolution of Delcatty. Don't look for fanart, the internet is garbage.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Did anyone here end up buying that Elevator Action Returns port? How is the input lag on Switch?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

Do I look like I own a Playing Station Three???

In other news, I got all the SF Rush games to work.
If anyone is doing phone emulation, the Razer Kishi is really convenient.

N64 versions? What emulator did you use?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My Wii U's Y button got stuck down, how easy is a repair? The NoA page for repairs is officially now "lol good luck"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Sold my Xbox One X that had been collecting dust unused since I completed Red Dead Redemption 2 and picked up a Switch OLED. I couldn't be happier with it, even just setting up the new system everything feels "premium" for a hand held system, and the colors for the screen are fantastic. I also managed to pick up a copy of BOTW for $29 too :cool:

I've been out of the Nintendo world since Gamecube, and aside from the standard stuff (ie. Smash, Mario Party, etc), is there anything worth picking up or any must-haves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

N64 versions? What emulator did you use?

Using RetroBoy which utilizes Mupen64Plus.
It works slightly better than the one I was using on PC but it's still unplayable.