Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Champion cleave with theoretically getting my hands on a starforge? Hm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

External Organs posted:

Elentor also ran Explosive Trap a few leagues ago iirc - wasn't it doing like...a billion damage?

You mean her MineTrapper?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

That's the one!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux posted:

why doesntn it just say that instead of the name that doesnt mean anything lol :dafuq: v important info that i refuse to look up

totalnewbie posted:

Because then the mod list would cover your screen and if you refuse to look things up, that's 100% on you, not on GGG.

pork never goes bad posted:

Fair enough. That's on you. I'm not saying that GGG couldn't do better (they could), but I am saying it's simply factually incorrect to say either that GGG hasn't told players (they have), or that "they've completely given up on the game itself ever telling you anything" (the new help system is, like, far and away better than it was before that - they clearly haven't given up). Being charitable, it's true that the game doesn't explicitly tell you all the details. Instead, the new AN system has mostly better graphical and visual identity for mod effects and skill abilities, has better colour coding of mod names so you know what damage type they do for basic mods and whether they're rare/rippy for the more complex ones, and in general makes it so rares are more visually readable in my experience. The game's help points you to the official forums for deeper mechanics - other than hosting the forums and wiki in game, I'm not sure how the game could communicate mod identity better while it keeps the sheer level of complexity which, ultimately, is what draws me personally to this game.

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
Semi-newb questions. I got into this a while ago (I forgot the name of the league but it was the one where you go deeper and deeper into the mine) and then lost interest with the next "Syndicate" league. Are there 8 million new league things that have all carried over I would need to learn?

Also, my biggest issue was that it seemed really easy outside of random 1-shots. I would kill things easily and tank everything without my life barely ever moving. But occasionally some random mob would just instakill me from I-dont-know-what. I want to like the game but I found that aspect pretty unenjoyable. Basically I'd like more D3 style Greater Rifting type gameplay where I can push my character against stronger and stronger stuff without having to worry so much about instakills. Have they made any changes in this regard since that time?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Kazanski posted:

Semi-newb questions. I got into this a while ago (I forgot the name of the league but it was the one where you go deeper and deeper into the mine) and then lost interest with the next "Syndicate" league. Are there 8 million new league things that have all carried over I would need to learn?

Also, my biggest issue was that it seemed really easy outside of random 1-shots. I would kill things easily and tank everything without my life barely ever moving. But occasionally some random mob would just instakill me from I-dont-know-what. I want to like the game but I found that aspect pretty unenjoyable. Basically I'd like more D3 style Greater Rifting type gameplay where I can push my character against stronger and stronger stuff without having to worry so much about instakills. Have they made any changes in this regard since that time?

Delve and Betrayal were those leagues.

It's more like 6 million league things you need to learn. I do have a cheat sheet for all the league stuff.

There's still plenty of one-shot opportunities, but building for defense is easier than it has been in years' past.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Kazanski posted:

There are a lot of league mechanics, I would say at least.. 8? That have been rolled into core gameplay since Delve. So yeah. BUT once you're at the endgame system it's also easy to spec into nodes in your Atlas Tree that remove the possibility of encountering that content, so you can pick and choose what you want to see.

It is possible to invest nicely into defenses now that make one shots a lot less likely, particularly with a high level Determination (Armor) aura + cast when damage taken Molten Shell, which gives you a temporary shield based on your armor. a new mechanic called Spell Suppression also exists which is a % chance to cause you to take 50% damage from a spell hit, which is huge. It takes some effort but it's not impossible to get it to a reasonable percentage.

It all kind of depends on your build; I'm sure someone can recommend a tanky one to you.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Current tree on the left, new nodes circled on the right.

This is what I'm most excited about this patch, can't wait till we get the actual details on all the new atlas tree nodes.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Instead of a making a new good flicker build like I normally do, I'm going to take an old bad flicker build and make it good.

That's right, it's time for Oro flicker league start.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

J posted:

This is what I'm most excited about this patch, can't wait till we get the actual details on all the new atlas tree nodes.

https://poeplanner.com/ has the new tree

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kazanski posted:

There are 8 million new league things but you can also turn a bunch of them off once you hit maps to focus on things you know and like. Instakills still happen and it takes experience to decipher why exactly you got pasted but it's usually one of a) your character is lacking defensive layers b) you knowingly or unknowingly made bad decisions gambling on risk/reward c) gently caress you.

They also made the first couple areas much harder for some reason but that should be less bad next league.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It has the new passive tree but not the new Atlas tree.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Whoops IDK how I shortcutted past the fact they were talking about atlas tree

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 2, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

quote:

Last Rites

Enemies Cursed By You Have 50% Reduced Life Regeneration Rate
Cursed Enemies You Kill Are Destroyed
Enemies You Curse Cannot Recharge Energy Shield

:eyepop:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kazanski posted:

I played at the exact same time as you and just came back for this past league. I found most of the new mechanics fairly easy to learn, some were a bit frustrating and one I've kinda punted on. In general though the goons here and on the discord have been really helpful with answering questions.

I still get instakilled a bunch but i played a pretty squishy character.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kofie yeboah get out of the poe thread

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arivia posted:

kofie yeboah get out of the poe thread

is that actually a secret base clip? I missed that one and demand a link

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

is that actually a secret base clip? I missed that one and demand a link

It appears not: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/09/ea-made-a-trailer-out-of-the-tiny-madden-glitch/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
yeah sorry to disappoint

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What cold or fire single target attack would you use to start out on Champ going into Heatshiver?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I also really like this guy's Trickster version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Li3eMevZbA

He explains in the comments why Trickster over say Raider

maaaaaaan idk. his version is minmaxed much more so he's got quadruple the DPS but i'm not convinced it outweighs raider bonuses. phasing, easy spell suppress, easy ailment avoidance, +1 and free frenzies

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Arivia posted:

kofie yeboah get into the poe thread

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

External Organs posted:

Elentor also ran Explosive Trap a few leagues ago iirc - wasn't it doing like...a billion damage?

It had a 1bi salvo, yes. If I had bought the items at the market at the time instead of swapped currency to my Temporal Stasis Boneshatter idea, it would have had a 4bi salvo with the items I could buy. So this Uber Shaper would have been much faster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ybM8USuU0

I don't know what the full potential damage-wise was, I'd say maybe 6-8bi? I didn't theorycraft further the point where it could do all content in the game.

Highlights are uhh. I could farm The Feared with 1k HP from start to finish - all the bosses, all the keys, all the way up to the invitation, deathless, for a massive profit. It trivialized most of the Uber fights, though apparently Seismic at its peak was better since it covered the entire screen or something, I dunno, I preferred the explosions. I could run Uber Atziri and Vaal Temple with -Chaos Res and blitz through any Cortex with less than 2k HP. The build was mod agnostic and could run every map mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maPRrh2Ymbw

Could do all bosses that could be empowered, empowered by 50% sentinels, including possessed Guardian Metamorphs. Elderslayers all at once for challenge, deathless.

Could do Simulacrum 30 with 4 double bosses in the last 5 waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHn34dZ_4U

And last this compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UleAtZ_v73s

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm thinking about molten strike. is there a good deadeye build for that still?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

...destroyed? Goddammit, is that yet some other new status that I've never heard of?

Searched for destroy and destroyed on the wiki, no results.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

maaaaaaan idk. his version is minmaxed much more so he's got quadruple the DPS but i'm not convinced it outweighs raider bonuses. phasing, easy spell suppress, easy ailment avoidance, +1 and free frenzies

He’s run that exact build SSF in another video series to great effect, although I do agree that the gear in his higher-end PoBs would still be considered “good to great” in Trade league.

Raider is absolutely viable too, though. Really just comes down to how you want to tailor your defenses since a lot of the damage scaling comes from Nightblade and Heatshiver.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.

xZAOx posted:

...destroyed? Goddammit, is that yet some other new status that I've never heard of?

They have that on a few things, like alternate quality cleave and a ignite themed cluster notable. Things like porcupines won't explode out the spikes if they are destroyed.

Edit: https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Cremator

rawk cawk fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 2, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i know im very late reacting to this but - drat massive rogue harbor nerfs, those insane MTX effects are gonna murder graphics cards

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Probably corpse destruction like shatter or the Axe mastery

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xZAOx posted:

Destroyed means they leave no corpses. Phantasmal Cleave, for example, removes the enemy's corpses (and death animation lol) meaning that they cannot be used as corpse explosions against you. It also means that they can't be raised as minions or consumed as offerings or give you bonuses for Plaguebringer. Usually not leaving corpses is a net positive though as it prevents enemies from using corpses against you.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man, Vaal Cleave looks fun, but the league mechanic itself looks poo poo for it

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I have never done Cold Dot or Frost Blades before.

Is Occultist going to be the go-to league starter for Cold Dot?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DangerDongs posted:

So I have never done Cold Dot or Frost Blades before.

Is Occultist going to be the go-to league starter for Cold Dot?

yes Occultist is very good at cold DoT, I think Trickster could be pretty good with it too but Occultist is clearly a favorite for that archetype

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Occultist cold DoT is probably the strongest and easiest to follow SC league starter if you want to complete your atlas and stones.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Gonna start with cold dot occultist and maybe try and pivot into int stacking whispering ice cyclone if it seems feasible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I forgot the gem is on the webpage

So you can have infinite fissures at once

Sorry if I was the only one wondering

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm 100% sold on VF. Let's loving go.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I know next to nothing about scaling slams and such - are the numbers on VF "good enough" compared to other slams? The skill looks good mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

it's numbers are worse than molten strike but we don't know the lvl 20 gem stats so v0v