Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You lnow what post game challenge I want back? The randomized dungeons from bw2. Those were fun and its a concept that could easily get played around with a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

See that romhack of Emerald that makes it a sort of roguelike with randomized routes and stuff? That's fun.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m in the postgame extremely quickly (24 hours) but now I’m having the real fun - running around catching duplicates of paradox Pokemon in between doing random 5* raids online I don’t need

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
They bring the battle frontier back, but ONLY the battle palace, also they gate the DLC story behind it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FoolyCharged posted:

You lnow what post game challenge I want back? The randomized dungeons from bw2. Those were fun and its a concept that could easily get played around with a bit more.

They're the battle pyramid. OP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theres no post game bcos i want to grind breeding items in a boring tower rather than having breeding be fun instead and raids existing as an enjoyable post game activity - the most braindead lunatics known to exist

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

More importantly its lacking a Looker postgame sidestory

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

this reminds me: the second biggest flaw in thsi game after fashion being gone, is that the raid adventures from crown tundra arent back.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

My postgame team

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huge fan of Venom Diesel

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Anybody willing to trade rare balls for shinies I'm game. Checking every five minutes on the auction house is the way of madness and I don't have the energy to keep doing this. Got about four shinies in game that I got no issues parting with though.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I like the battle tower and battle frontier type stuff, I just don't like that you have to grind the battle tower to get the items you need to get good at fighting the battle tower in the first place. All they need to do is have battle points go towards some entirely pointless cosmetic reward that still feels fun to collect, like buying furniture for your villa in Platinum.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

PSA :
Azumarill is bugged!!! Do not use it!!!
The Huge Power ability does not work correctly with whatever fuckery they have going on in Raids specifically. I tested it in about 5 different raids and can confirm that the jumping heath bar on charizard is actually just healing back half of whatever damage you do, cancelling out your bonus from Huge Power. Occasionally I’ve been able to one shot raid Pokémon before the code can realize what happened, but charizard has too much HP and will always heal back the difference.
Use Flutter Mane instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I am sorry, but I have a confession to make.

I have started participating in competitive 6v6 battles on Pokemon Showdown.

I recognize that makes me a tryhard Pokemon player and am willing to accept the corresponding consequences.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wonder if there's a good solution to make star fall fights interesting

They give you 10 minutes and you usually finish it in like 40 seconds and it's just pointing your character in the direction of a few enemies

I think they need more pushback and tension to them. Right now you can kinda run around unimpeded, picking advantageous fights and healing at the many, many vending machines. The enemies aren't really obstacles so much as flavored targets to bust until you hit a certain number.

Maybe instead of having to beat X grunts, you could need to reach a certain point. Take the team flag, for example. The grunts can and will try to fight you as you approach, with your trio automatically out in following mode.

Then its up to you to decide how you fight your way there. Do you beeline for the flag and try to muscle through? Do you make detours to clear out vending machines and establish them as little forward bases? It doesn't have to be a full fledged RTS, but the Star bases are huge and kinda empty. Adding some level design and objectives can reall make them shine

Then add multiplayer to the mix, and boom.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mega64 posted:

I recognize that makes me a tryhard Pokemon player and am willing to accept the corresponding consequences.

What mons u like

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Is the Charizard tera crystal only once per day or will it respawn if I get rid of enough of the other raid crystals? Less Charizard opportunities vs the Eevees last event :\

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mega64 posted:

Trying hard at what you like is cool

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mega64 posted:

Ok, Nemona!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Zuzie posted:

I suppose the main reason why they don't include anything like a Battle Frontier and in fact keep scaling back the Battle Tower feature for each new game is probably due time constraints during development and not wanting to put effort into a feature that only most hardcore players would actually experience. More elaborate set pieces would probably before parts of the story that most people would actually see in the main campaign.

Or its very much possible that this time they included something like a battle frontier but its in a DLC area. I can see them do this.

Nemona?

Yeah that effort is better spent on stuff like sandwiches.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

My postgame team

Those are some excellent nicknames

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wonder if there's a good solution to make star fall fights interesting

They give you 10 minutes and you usually finish it in like 40 seconds and it's just pointing your character in the direction of a few enemies

I remember the tutorial for the first one warning me that Team Star would heal their mons if I wasn't fast enough. I kept expecting it to happen and slow/undo my progress at some point in the later bases, but it never did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shiny777 posted:

I remember the tutorial for the first one warning me that Team Star would heal their mons if I wasn't fast enough. I kept expecting it to happen and slow/undo my progress at some point in the later bases, but it never did.

Come to think of it, I’ve beaten the game and done the school tournament twice but haven’t seen ANYONE heal their Pokémon during a fight. Does that just not happen in this game (I don’t think it happened in Gen 8 either for that matter)?

If so, good because that was annoying in the earlier games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yeah that effort is better spent on stuff like sandwiches.

the coop sandwich making is absoltuely more important yes

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
found this prankster that has now been forced into the lineup

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
There should be rad postgame adventures that unlock fashion for your player character and pokemon

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, I’ve beaten the game and done the school tournament twice but haven’t seen ANYONE heal their Pokémon during a fight. Does that just not happen in this game (I don’t think it happened in Gen 8 either for that matter)?

If so, good because that was annoying in the earlier games
I kept expecting the elite four to do it and they never did

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

junan_paalla posted:

There should be rad postgame adventures that unlock fashion for your player character and pokemon

Esp once you beat team star and their fashion master

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Countblanc posted:

What mons u like

My OU team is Meowscarada*/Ceruledge*/Breloom/Toxepex/Orthworm/Garganacl*.

My UU team is Espeon*/Bronzong/Quagsire/Revaroom/Flamigo/Sandy Shoals.

*Part of my main playthrough team, the missing Pokemon are Azumarill and Baxcalibur.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Augus posted:

if they’re not gonna have a battle frontier they should make a new Pokémon colosseum game to appease the battle junkies
they should do this anyways, specifically to appeal to me and every other insane person who rants about the lack of double battles in the main story

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, they should port/remake the Orre games one day (Gale of Darkness did have its own plot and wasn’t just a remake of Colosseum’s Story Mode right?)
yeah and it loving ruled

ROFL Octopus posted:

Newly buffed Snow weather and no Alolan Ninetales is a war crime
i know i was annoyed at SwSh's DLC adding back in a bunch of pokemon and making the meta much less fun, but, hear me out: what if the DLC for this adds in alolan ninetales, my most specialest boy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shiny777 posted:

They also mention that you'd have to defeat Mela's grunts, not pokemon, in order to draw her out since they were all busy keeping her calm, so I wonder if there were going to be more mechanics in the Star Bases but were scrapped for all using the same Star Barrage gimmick

Also, Star Bosses sending out their car to run you over overrides any stat-ups you would've gotten at the end of the turn; used Aqua Step with a Moxie Quaquaval to take out Mela's torkoal and I didn't get the Speed or Attack boost before she sent out Revaroom

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 2, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shiny777 posted:

if you somehow run out of time you need to start the challenge over from the beginning, and this is contextualized in-universe as “the grunts healed their Pokémon because you took too long”

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pussy Quipped posted:

PSA :
The Huge Power ability does not work correctly with whatever fuckery they have going on in Raids specifically. I tested it in about 5 different raids and can confirm that the jumping heath bar on charizard is actually just healing back half of whatever damage you do, cancelling out your bonus from Huge Power. Occasionally I’ve been able to one shot raid Pokémon before the code can realize what happened, but charizard has too much HP and will always heal back the difference.
Use Flutter Mane instead.

People keep saying this but I don't think that's what is going on. I actually ability capsuled my azumarill to thick fat, went into a 4* ground polteageist raid solo, and used liquidation. This was its HP bar:

Then I quit out of the raid and went back to huge power, went into the raid and did the exact same thing:

The hp bar did not bounce back at any point and it really was that low, killed it next turn with aqua jet just to be sure. Did the same thing with play rough to a 5* dark dragalge, but this time the HP bar started to lie and bounce around. I then went to thick fat and the hp bar was acting normal.

So it seems like the actual issue is some interaction between huge power and play rough not working properly together, while other moves seem to work fine.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
5 star raids are no joke in this game. My endgame adventuring team is just not enough. What's the best way to level up a fresh and optimized team? I'd use Exp. Candies XL, but I can't reliably earn them yet. I tried to farm Chanseys, but they don't yield much exp for high level Pokémon.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Dollas posted:

found this prankster that has now been forced into the lineup

Noice

I came across this yellow boi this morning

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I somehow stumbled into a shiny Lokix and Sneasel without even trying.

Of course if I do decide to go into competitive doubles I now feel obligated to use them...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

charizard posted:

PSA :

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

actually today in azumarill adventures: going into a florges raid with two azumarill who got bodied immediately and failed the raid.

going into the next florges raid with two more azumarill who readied up. canceled out, that was enough raids with randoms for the day.

it's a fairy type that knows a grass move!! it's a freakin flower!!! do not bring your water rat!

Clocks fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 2, 2022

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Clocks posted:

actually today in azumarill adventures: going into a florges raid with two azumarill who got bodied immediately and failed the raid.

going into the next florges raid with two more azumarill who readied up. canceled out, that was enough raids with randoms for the day.

it's a fairy type that knows a grass move!! it's a freakin flower!!! do not bring your water rat!

The fact that people don't seem to understand basic type match ups is almost as infuriating as being kicked from every Ceruledge raid I've tried to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Flopsy posted:

The fact that people don't seem to understand basic type match ups is almost as infuriating as being kicked from every Ceruledge raid I've tried to join.

This is why Nemona is so fuckin excited that you can like, read a type chart.