Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

3/130 doesn't seem wild for a pitcher who is expected to be great and has shown basically no signs of losing it, except the injury that he just recovered from and came back better. Also it's not my money what do I care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any multi-year deal for a 40 year old power pitcher with one TJ surgery has to have options on the back end in case something goes wrong or he falls off a cliff. Coming off of TJ, he signed a one year deal with the Astros tha tincluded a second year player option that was contingent on hitting an IP threshold. I don't know if that kind of stuff is on the table now because JV is in far, far better negotiation position than he was as an unknown commodity prior to this year, but I wouldn't want my team signing him without some sort of arm-fall-off insurance.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1598786455681306629

I always liked Toro even if he wasn't very good just because of the grand slam off Graveman after he was traded one-for-one for Graveman. Not surprised Winker is out already. Yeesh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now it's time for our regular segment, Where the gently caress is Toro

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You guys think Jerry Dipoto likes making trades? I'm skeptical.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pungry posted:

I always liked Toro even if he wasn't very good just because of the grand slam off Graveman after he was traded one-for-one for Graveman. Not surprised Winker is out already. Yeesh.

Hope Winker bounces back and Toro finds himself in Milwaukee.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1598786482155753494

Dunno who that is, but he had a bunch of strikeouts and didn't walk anyone this year, so could be good?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

You guys think Jerry Dipoto likes making trades? I'm skeptical.

Someone add it to the spreadsheet and tell us the new total

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Dunno who that is, but he had a bunch of strikeouts and didn't walk anyone this year, so could be good?

Would NOT count on Dodger RP's repeating their peak seasons but what do i know

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mcmagic posted:

Would NOT count on RP's repeating

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1598761431947681792

Pat Tabler seems very nice but he is perhaps the most boring colour man to have ever lived so godspeed Tabby

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Pungry posted:

Seems like a pretty great trade for the Brewers even if Winker recovers some of his Reds form

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

Seems like a pretty great trade for the Brewers even if Winker recovers some of his Reds form

If not, I think the Mariners fleeced the Brewers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
er poo poo I meant great trade for the M's regardless of if Winker goes back to his Reds form unless he goes right back to 2021 numbers I guess

Winker is bad defensively right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, he was pretty awful on both sides.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Pussy Boss posted:

When did the Coldplay guy pick up baseball?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Some Numbers posted:

If not, I think the Mariners fleeced the Brewers.

I'm 99% sure Intruder meant "Mariners" instead of "Brewers". It is a good trade for the Mariners though they need one more top-of-the-line bat to make me feel really good about this offseason. I really love JP Crawford as a clubhouse guy but he isn't worth keeping as the starting shortstop versus one of the big free agent shortstops like Turner. What other great bats are out there? Correa is probably a non-starter for the fanbase but would be funny.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's still pretty hilarious to me that Eugenio Suarez was an add on salary dump the Reds made the Mariners take in order to get Winker.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pungry posted:

I'm 99% sure Intruder meant "Mariners" instead of "Brewers". It is a good trade for the Mariners though they need one more top-of-the-line bat to make me feel really good about this offseason. I really love JP Crawford as a clubhouse guy but he isn't worth keeping as the starting shortstop versus one of the big free agent shortstops like Turner. What other great bats are out there? Correa is probably a non-starter for the fanbase but would be funny.

One corner outfield position is still open, unless we want to platoon Haggerty and Kelenic.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Some Numbers posted:

It's still pretty hilarious to me that Eugenio Suarez was an add on salary dump the Reds made the Mariners take in order to get Winker.

I've always liked *Pat Hughes voice* Eyy-you-hennio Suarez, it's cool that he's getting some time on the contending... Seattle Mariners? That can't be right

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Thank you for leaving the AL West Mr. Toro - we love you forever.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Anthopoulos is a warlock and I mean that as ambiguously as possible.

https://twitter.com/matteddyba/status/1598742268751614009?s=46&t=cWpJUM03QKlGivmmO-K7lA

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Some Numbers posted:

One corner outfield position is still open, unless we want to platoon Haggerty and Kelenic.

It's going to go to Haggerty/Kelenic/Trammell. This ownership group refuses to spend money. The Robbie Ray signing is this decade's Cano signing.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1598761431947681792

Pat Tabler seems very nice but he is perhaps the most boring colour man to have ever lived so godspeed Tabby

With Tabby not coming back and Buck probably not coming back either I wondering who's going to be working with Schulman next year.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pungry posted:

Trea Turner has said dozens of times he's not playing on the West coast unless it's for the Dodgers, he's not signing in Seattle.

Correa's probably the best player of all 4 but it seems like the market on them is going so fast that Seattle's out of it. And when you're talking about paying Boegarts $200+ million for 8 years and agreeing that he's your starting SS I don't blame them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Would NOT count on Dodger RP's repeating their peak seasons but what do i know

To be fair he was having about just as good a season with the Cubs before we traded him at the deadline.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Trea Turner has said dozens of times he's not playing on the West coast unless it's for the Dodgers, he's not signing in Seattle.

Correa's probably the best player of all 4 but it seems like the market on them is going so fast that Seattle's out of it. And when you're talking about paying Boegarts $200+ million for 8 years and agreeing that he's your starting SS I don't blame them.

Boegarts and Correa are close enough as players that you should just sign the guy who isnt a cheating piece of poo poo imo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

surprised he went to the Red Sox, I always thought his favourite colour was Yellow

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Kevin Brown wouldn't re-sign with the Padres after the 98 World Series because he wanted to pitch closer to his home in Georgia, then signed with the Dodgers. Baseball players go where the money is.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

surprised he went to the Red Sox, I always thought his favourite colour was Yellow

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

AlbertFlasher posted:

With Tabby not coming back and Buck probably not coming back either I wondering who's going to be working with Schulman next year.

Likely Joe Siddall.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Good for the Mariners sending Winker back to the NL Central. If he really hasn't been able to see his daughter, playing the Reds semi-regularly should be a relief.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Correa is actually awesome as a player, and my opinion of him completely changed after seeing how much his Twins teammates bonded with him. By all accounts, he was a really positive influence on the team this year. I don't have to love every player on the team, I treat Miguel Sano at bats as commercial breaks for instance (because he's probably an abuser, not because of performance) so I was plenty ready to hate him and ignore him. But he's actually really cool and I just couldn't dislike him. Anyway, my point is, short of the Dodgers and Yankees, I dunno that there's a fanbase that can't learn to love him and you should want him on your team. He'll quickly quell the dissent imo

Also the Twins should 100% be in on Verlander at that price (they should be in on every top end starter). Maybe they can get creative and do a big buy out on the third year or something. The Twins have money to spend, and a pretty set roster. They'll take a hit at SS, but I doubt they are willing to spend $250+ for an elite one. They also never spend big on FA pitching, so doubt is warranted, but now is the time where signing one stud player could put them over the top

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Players like Correa generally fall into the “hate him if he’s against us, love him if he’s with us” category for most fans. Many teammates will love a guy who fiercely, vociferously acts as a shield for them and takes the heat whether that’s for cheating or getting mad at a pitcher dominating them. Fans will love him for making GBS threads on the other team and reflecting some of that fandom “passion” you don’t usually see in players. It won’t work for everyone. I don’t like an rear end in a top hat and I don’t like poo poo talking. But for a lot of people when he’s being an rear end in a top hat for your team it gets a lot easier to swallow.

Yankees spent last spring talking about Josh Donaldson was gonna “bring that edge” to the team. Thing is there’s no secret ingredient. If your team is winning and gelling it’s cool. If they’re not an rear end in a top hat is just an rear end in a top hat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You want Carlos Correa on your team, you have never seen a SS arm as good as his.

Jason Castro retired today. He is, amazingly, the Astros franchise leader in HRs as a catcher.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 3, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

Kevin Brown wouldn't re-sign with the Padres after the 98 World Series because he wanted to pitch closer to his home in Georgia, then signed with the Dodgers. Baseball players go where the money is.

Didn’t Vlad take a second best deal with Anaheim because they had Spanish broadcasts his mom could watch? It happens. Players are human and a lot of stuff factors into their decisions. Obviously money is a big part of that but at some point the numbers become so large that personal comfort can mean a lot.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

You want Carlos Correa on your team, you have never seen a SS arm as good as his.

Jason Castro retired today. He is, amazingly, the Astros franchise leader in HRs as a catcher.

Castro's last AB was a 9th inning go ahead HR against the Mets - he also got the most important hit of the 2021 ALCS.

<3 u Jason - our 3 spot hitter during the dark ages.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Didn’t Vlad take a second best deal with Anaheim because they had Spanish broadcasts his mom could watch? It happens. Players are human and a lot of stuff factors into their decisions. Obviously money is a big part of that but at some point the numbers become so large that personal comfort can mean a lot.

And yet Kris Bryant signed with the Rockies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly forgot Kris Bryant existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

live with fruit posted:

Good for the Mariners sending Winker back to the NL Central. If he really hasn't been able to see his daughter, playing the Reds semi-regularly should be a relief.

seeing this and relief about wong not playing against the cubs much anymore makes me think folks are forgetting the new scheduling mix:

quote:

The new schedule format includes 52 divisional games (previously 76), 64 other intraleague games (previously 66), and 46 interleague games (previously 20). Each team will play a four-game home-and-home series against their geographic interleague rival (think Mets vs. Yankees, etc.) plus one three-game series against the other 14 teams in the other league.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-releases-2023-schedule-all-30-teams-will-face-each-other-in-new-format-opening-day-on-march-30/amp/