Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't even want to touch this.

Well, good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't even want to touch this.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

there’s a footwork button....
MAME provides the background and handheld pictures if you can get them.
Looks like “match the dance moves”, but you got beeping ttl logic for a music generator so uh...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/HackerVilela/status/1369131455826321409

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
That is beautiful. I wonder if it messes with the Blaargs the way scrolling the screen does.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
The 7th Saga.

I fancy myself a decent NES/SNES era RPG player. This one? No fuckin' idea. Played it for a little while and said "gently caress this".

Edit: Just realized this thread hasn't been posted in for over a year. Oh well, so it goes.

EconDad fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 19, 2022

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

EconDad posted:

The 7th Saga.

I fancy myself a decent NES/SNES era RPG player. This one? No fuckin' idea. Played it for a little while and said "gently caress this".

Edit: Just realized this thread hasn't been posted in for over a year. Oh well, so it goes.

Subforums Where You Had Zero Idea What was Going On. :v:

I played that ages ago and picked Lux as my character. His main issue is a weakness to magic. So at one point, the elf mage lady steals my travel rune and I just cannot beat her to get it back because her ice spell nearly one shots Lux. I hit upon a brilliant strategy: stock up on healing items and just wait until she runs out of MP. Then beat her weak wizard rear end to death.

This doesn't work because it turns out computer opponents have infinite MP, so I was just soft locked out of ever finishing the game because I needed that rune to progress. :mad:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

My understanding is that the answer to problems with this game is to get the Japanese version. (called "Elnard", iirc) The characters you play as are heavily nerfed in the US version, but the ones you face in battle aren't. And yeah, they've got infinite MP.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I am now reminded of that MC Hammer thing, and with it the Hammerman cartoon.

This thread is cursed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

My understanding is that the answer to problems with this game is to get the Japanese version. (called "Elnard", iirc) The characters you play as are heavily nerfed in the US version, but the ones you face in battle aren't. And yeah, they've got infinite MP.

They nerfed your stats and your XP gain because why not screw you over both ways. Theres a patch that fixes the XP and Stat Growth back to the original Japanese values and keeps the English which is the only way anyone should play it.

The plot though, hahahah the plot is an incredible "gently caress you" if you do slog through.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Quiet Feet posted:

Subforums Where You Had Zero Idea What was Going On. :v:

I played that ages ago and picked Lux as my character. His main issue is a weakness to magic. So at one point, the elf mage lady steals my travel rune and I just cannot beat her to get it back because her ice spell nearly one shots Lux. I hit upon a brilliant strategy: stock up on healing items and just wait until she runs out of MP. Then beat her weak wizard rear end to death.

This doesn't work because it turns out computer opponents have infinite MP, so I was just soft locked out of ever finishing the game because I needed that rune to progress. :mad:

Hail to the soft lock. No game should ever be like that. 7th Saga? It's special like that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this is the part where i realize the 7th saga is not the 7th guest

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think there's a different character who gets a "full HP heal" spell they can cast on themselves, so if they steal a rune you just gotta. Hope you can one-shot them, or they decide not to cast that and let you win.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

I think there's a different character who gets a "full HP heal" spell they can cast on themselves, so if they steal a rune you just gotta. Hope you can one-shot them, or they decide not to cast that and let you win.

AFAIK people only assume that because the spell is on his playable version's spell list. If I recall right, the AI battle version can't use it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well that's a small mercy which is uncharacteristic of the game, at least the version people in the US got.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Barudak posted:

The plot though, hahahah the plot is an incredible "gently caress you" if you do slog through.

LOL yeah. I managed to beat it with an emulator and save state-scumming way back when, and the whole end section of the game (where the plot actually begins to develop) is just not worth the trouble at all.

The original Final Fantasy did the time loop thing too, but for all its jankiness it at least manages to be fun to play.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

There are some ways to get around the brick wall duels in 7th Saga, mostly involving killing off your main character and having your companion fight it instead. If you get a new companion that you haven't used before prior to a duel, they'll have "correct" stats and the match will be more fair, since characters only get nerfed stat gain while they're in your party. Or you can resurrect your main character during the duel and have a 2-on-1 battle. But yeah the correct answer is to play Elnard, which is a much better and more balanced game

For content, the game that always stumped me as a kid was Hacker II: The Doomsday Papers. It looked really cool on the box--pilot a little spy robot through a high-security facility to steal top secret plans or whatever. Conceptually the game is really cool, but in practice it had an atrocious interface that required rapidly swapping between different monitors/interfaces just to figure out what was going on. You'd have to maneuver your robot to several locked file cabinets while avoiding security guards and security cameras which you mostly can't see and have to learn through trial and error when they're active. If you stay still too long in any one place you have to set up and run a bypass on whatever camera is monitoring the area. The worst part, that I was never able to figure out, is that even if you can get your robot to a file cabinet and run a bypass on the camera guarding it without getting caught, you have to input a command on your robot to interact with it. As far as I can tell though this command is not given to you either in the game or the manual so I have no idea how anyone was able to figure this out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Add NES' Who Framed Roger Rabbit to the list. I know it's a legendarily terrible game but I just played a bit for the first time. You play as Eddie, ducking into buildings that look the same to talk to people in rooms that look the same, occasionally picking up random objects. Every now and then the Weasels come and you have to provide the punchline to a joke. Not being able to complete it means you lose a life.

What a shitshow.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Add NES' Who Framed Roger Rabbit to the list. I know it's a legendarily terrible game but I just played a bit for the first time. You play as Eddie, ducking into buildings that look the same to talk to people in rooms that look the same, occasionally picking up random objects. Every now and then the Weasels come and you have to provide the punchline to a joke. Not being able to complete it means you lose a life.

What a shitshow.

I don't know how many times I rented that game, sure that this time would the the run that I actually figure anything out.

I never figured out a thing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mighty Max for SNES/Mega Drive was one that threw me for a loop as a kid. I knew what I was supposed to be doing (find poo poo and throw it in a portal) but the game starts and it's one massive "what the gently caress is happening" with ridiculously-sized levels populated by random poo poo all over the place and no aid in navigating through it. Or any aid for anything else, really. You just shot these useless loving ping-pong balls around and leapt 20ft in the air at a speed which lobbed you off-screen.

It's an unbelievably bad game and even when you do work out how things function, it's still incredibly tedious.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zereth posted:

The spell actually fully restores HP and MP (including the MP it took to cast the spell) so if you have him then you can spam it indefinitely. It's one of the most broken things I've ever seen. I'm surprised they didn't nerf it like they nerfed everything else.

What a shitshow.

The worst thing is that it's now 100% impossible to complete without a FAQ. There's a point where you have to visit Jessica to get a password. The problem is that she doesn't give it to you directly. She gives you an 800 hotline number that you had to dial in real life. That hotline hasn't worked in decades, so you have to look the password up online.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
There was some nethack type game on C64, every attempt at playing went like this:
10 Wait 15 minutes for level to load
20 Walk 2 steps down the only hallway, enemy appears and kills you
30 goto 10

Sometimes you could make it 3 steps

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

...! posted:

The worst thing is that it's now 100% impossible to complete without a FAQ. There's a point where you have to visit Jessica to get a password. The problem is that she doesn't give it to you directly. She gives you an 800 hotline number that you had to dial in real life. That hotline hasn't worked in decades, so you have to look the password up online.

Even in 1990 (or whenever this turd was released) it's hard to imagine shipping a game where you have to go through stupid extra steps to advance and thinking, "Yep...kids'll love this".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Even in 1990 (or whenever this turd was released) it's hard to imagine shipping a game where you have to go through stupid extra steps to advance and thinking, "Yep...kids'll love this".

The idea wasn't to make a game kids would love, it was to make a game that kids would buy because Roger Rabbit, no matter its quality.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know how many times I rented that game, sure that this time would the the run that I actually figure anything out.

I never figured out a thing.

I’ve watched several YouTube play throughs and I still barely get it. I remember playing it when little and our serious attempts to win quickly degenerated into punching civilians for fun. Not unlike Goonies II.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's a shame the NES game was such a nightmare when the Game Boy game was actually really fun.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Kurui Reiten posted:

The idea wasn't to make a game kids would love, it was to make a game that kids would buy because Roger Rabbit, no matter its quality.

Normally I’d agree: licensed games suck and rely on the license to make up for gameplay.

But here it feels like they were trying to actually do something a little special? I mean, they did think it was a good enough idea to incur the extra cost of having a recording on a 800 number.

I wonder how many other games had the same sort of thing. Kind of proto-ARG

doesn’t make up for the game being dogshit though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm not sure I ever beat a level of roller coaster tycoon back when I played it a bunch as a kid. All I did was built insane rides. Now I can beat a bunch of levels but I can't build a coaster worth a drat lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

namlosh posted:

Normally I’d agree: licensed games suck and rely on the license to make up for gameplay.

But here it feels like they were trying to actually do something a little special? I mean, they did think it was a good enough idea to incur the extra cost of having a recording on a 800 number.

I wonder how many other games had the same sort of thing. Kind of proto-ARG

doesn’t make up for the game being dogshit though

I do find it a bit painful to hate on Who Framed Roger Rabbit because it does feel like they were trying to make something unique that fit the movie. It's just a shame that it's not that good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wolfpack by Novalogic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUlX6bw60DU

I remember trying to play it because I saw my dad playing it and it was just completely incomprehensible

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, played on a cousin’s PC. We never got past the first part of the game where you need to get your party past space bandits or something to reach your spaceship in a port. We were doing something wrong in the combat as I don’t think the game was remembered as having X-Com terror from the deep level difficulty combat, like we were probably not using a cover mechanic but anyway Buck Rogers never reached his ship even when the game took pity on us and declared that port security was trying to help us fight.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

grab a copy of the genesis version of buck rogers countdown to doomsday, it fuckin kicks rear end

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah it's a great little game. I am a terrible gamer and rarely finnish my games but this one I actually finnished. Guess you were rather young when you played it?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Klaaz posted:

Yeah it's a great little game. I am a terrible gamer and rarely finnish my games but this one I actually finnished. Guess you were rather young when you played it?

Oh yeah from what I’ve heard it was a good game, just had zero clue what was going on as I was too little plus not informed with how to have a proper party build.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Probably already mentioned but… Dick Tracy for NES. What a horrible excuse for a video game.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

EconDad posted:

Probably already mentioned but… Dick Tracy for NES. What a horrible excuse for a video game.

Funny coincidence, I just got a copy for Christmas!

Decided to try and fill out as much of my NES collection as I feasibly can so I asked for games for Christmas. While I'm here I may as well mention I also got To the Earth, which I swear I played as a kid but had no goddamn clue what I was supposed to be doing. Though I might be confusing it with Destination Earthstar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

to the earth was the zapper game

destination earthstar was the half-star raiders/half-gradius clusterfuck

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Quiet Feet posted:

Funny coincidence, I just got a copy for Christmas!

Decided to try and fill out as much of my NES collection as I feasibly can so I asked for games for Christmas. While I'm here I may as well mention I also got To the Earth, which I swear I played as a kid but had no goddamn clue what I was supposed to be doing. Though I might be confusing it with Destination Earthstar.

That game and that background… they look so familiar.

Are you… me?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I remember really liking Destination Earthstar once I finally figured out what you're supposed to be doing.

But yeah, that game is so impenetrable that I have no idea how I figured it out when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I figured DE's systems out pretty easily because I read the poo poo out of the manual, but didn't have the raw skill required to get through even the first side-scrolling section on only three lives - and with a game over meaning you had to go back and spend a few minutes dogfighting in first-person view meant that attempts were too far apart to build any kind of skill or muscle memory

in fact, even as an adult, I've only made it to stage 2 once or twice