Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

pmchem posted:

current thread title is pretty good but I didn't follow the thermostat saga.

you guys want this? is it time for a change?

14 years on this site, and you've brought a tear to my eyes. A tear of pride and joy. In a room that is the perfect temperature, thanks to my new Honeywell TH6220WF2006/U Lyric T6 Pro Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

skipdogg posted:

No need to waste a bunch of time with research. Mr. Terry Love knows more about toilets than just about anyone. Buy what he recommends that's in your price range.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php

Toto Drake or another Toto that suits your liking is going to be a great way to go. If you have to have something you can pick up at the local home depot the American Standard Champion is a decent toilet.

Everyone's pretty much got the low water usage flush figured out though so it's nowhere near as bad as when the first gen of 1.6 and 1.28G toilets came out.

The knowledge and strength of the toilet opinions is really putting the most pedantic derails from this thread to shame.

I will definitely be consulting them when I replace the other two toilets in my place.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
How can you possibly care about a toilet, water is basically free and you just poo poo into it?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

gp2k posted:

14 years on this site, and you've brought a tear to my eyes. A tear of pride and joy. In a room that is the perfect temperature, thanks to my new Honeywell TH6220WF2006/U Lyric T6 Pro Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat.

:bravo:

--

My toilets are old and weird, but I can't justify a $500 Toto along with remove/replace costs for a perfectly fine weird old toilet, unless it's a remodel of a significant amount of the bathroom. Plus it's rear plumbed rather than floor plumbed, and I imagine this would severely limit which amazing Totos would be available. But I haven't looked into it. :-/

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 2, 2022

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Why the hell are my air return intakes 23x11.5 and not 24x12 :bang: nobody sells odd numbered grilles so I'm going to have to get a 22 x 12 and hope the gap isn't too crazy.

Edit : and I'm going to have to saw through this poorly installed flange on every side becasuse otherwise it's 23 x 11.

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 2, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Wait why can't you just slap a 24x12 over that?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I need to install air filters there, because the furnaces air filter setup is even worse.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Toilets drive me nuts because they remind me of the old arguments I had with my grandfather, how he insisted that the Coriolis Effect caused toilets to flush backward in the southern hemisphere.

"ARE YOU CALLING ME A LIAR? I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES."
"No, I'm saying you saw a differently-designed toilet that--"
"CORIOLIS EFFECT, DAMNIT. EXACTLY."
"Okay grandpa, let's eat some pizza and not talk about this anymore."

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spikes32 posted:

I need to install air filters there, because the furnaces air filter setup is even worse.

This raises nothing but questions... what sort of filter are you putting there?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Whats the best way to mount a 10 pound mirror over a fireplace? Its a lath and plaster wall with a brick chimney place behind it.

Im thinking some of those 3M command hook type deals. Never used them before but have heard decent things and it saves me putting a screw threw my walls and chimney.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats the best way to mount a 10 pound mirror over a fireplace? Its a lath and plaster wall with a brick chimney place behind it.

Im thinking some of those 3M command hook type deals. Never used them before but have heard decent things and it saves me putting a screw threw my walls and chimney.

Assuming the surface is prepped right and you get the right amount to hold that weight, they should be fine.

I've never had a failure with them, but a full mirror is really tightrope walking without a net.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

devicenull posted:

This raises nothing but questions... what sort of filter are you putting there?

The only filters currently on the system are leaning against each other in an A shape at the top of the furnace and do gently caress all because it's a poo poo design. So trying to get actual filters installed in the returns instead.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The only problem with 3m hooks might be heat over time. I've seen the stretchy sticky strip harden over time and not come off easily.

I personally hate the things and would rather just drill a small hole and hang it securely.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Solo painting is such a drag. It’s hard not to think about how much faster the room would be painted if there was just one extra person to help with prep and cutting in. Really reinforces my desire to hire a crew for anything bigger in scope than an empty room or two.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Democratic Pirate posted:

Solo painting is such a drag. It’s hard not to think about how much faster the room would be painted if there was just one extra person to help with prep and cutting in. Really reinforces my desire to hire a crew for anything bigger in scope than an empty room or two.

Make friends?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Painting is the only thing anyone in my family wants to help with, haha.

People seem to find it the "fun" reno.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Jenkl posted:

Painting is the only thing anyone in my family wants to help with, haha.

People seem to find it the "fun" reno.

Painting is the absolute worst. Well, the painting itself is fine and takes 10% of the time. The prep and cleaning is the worst.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Upgrade posted:

Make friends?

lol if someone you just made as a friend is going to help you paint. That's the kind of poo poo you break out on someone you've been friends with for at least a few years.

At this point the number of people I'd go paint for are numbered on one hand and I'd need to take an airplane to get to most of them.

Back in my 20s? Sure, supply the beer and don't get picky about some small fuckups, especially as the beer disappears.

Back in my 30s? Ugh, OK, but this better be some poo poo like a game room we're both going to use.

Today? If you were the best man at my wedding and are about to get divorced because your wife just can't stand to stare at those peeling walls any more then, fine, I guess I'll help.

And by "help" I mean "write you a check to pay some painters to come over"

edit: I say this as someone dumb enough to paint a modest fence with my wife a couple years back and hey, it turns out my back loving hurts for days after that poo poo and gently caress it I'm just throwing these brushes in the garbage. And that was outdoor painting.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Poldarn posted:

Painting is the absolute worst. Well, the painting itself is fine and takes 10% of the time. The prep and cleaning is the worst.

:hmmyes:

Something so satisfying of that first coat of paint. Primer is never satisfying like good paint.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

Something so satisfying of that first coat of paint. Primer is never satisfying like good paint.

Depends on what you're covering up with the primer. Going over te absolutely poo poo paint job in my guest bedroom with Kilz was satisfying to me. Not like good paint, you're right on that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think I cried a little when the first coat of primer went up and hid the dark purple accent wall in the master bedroom.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I’ve painted about 2000 sqft of walls in the past two months and it’s not that bad. It’s not good. But it’s not that bad. Better than yard work.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Upgrade posted:

Make friends?

Covering the transportation and food/beer costs to get my painting level friends to my city would be about the same as a paint crew.

The real big brain idea would have been to paint before the wife was pregnant.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
You can also wait a dozen years or so and have 2 helpers instead of one

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

StormDrain posted:

Depends on what you're covering up with the primer. Going over te absolutely poo poo paint job in my guest bedroom with Kilz was satisfying to me. Not like good paint, you're right on that.

This. Nothing like rolling out that first coat of primer over nasty, faded yellow-but-now-brown original paint. Satisfaction is an understatement, and subsequent coats are underwhelming in comparison.

Painting is a pain in the rear end, but really it's one of those things you do once with very good paint and enjoy for a long time...or until your spouse's taste changes, and then you drag your feet and leave it as is for a few more years with the hope that she will forget.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Mine isn’t afraid to pick up a roller so have at it, honey!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm "old" and definitely in the "I'll pay you to NOT ASK ME FOR HELP" camp. :colbert:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Venn diagram overlap of “home owner doing painting project” and “has lots of friends willing to work for hours for slice of pizza and beer” is a small one

Also, if they do a lovely job you can’t chew them out like you could someone you are paying.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
The prep is annoying but the worst part is moving all the crap away from the walls. Or maybe I just have too much crap.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Poldarn posted:

Yeah, I'd help any of my friends paint. I love painting walls, something soothing about it.

It's always a 2 hour paint job that I forget oh I need to put the wood filler in for those couple of little holes and then I need to sand it and then I need to wipe it clean with a damp cloth and then let it dry and fuckkkkk that.

Muir posted:

The prep is annoying but the worst part is moving all the crap away from the walls. Or maybe I just have too much crap.
Painting a room is the best way to deep clean a room.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the last week:

• The well pump went out
  • The upstairs toilet wouldn't seal and ran continuously
  • One downstairs window developed a leak
  • The cats managed to break a shade chain, leaving the shade half-down (yes, I have ordered tensioning hardware with the replacement chain)

Today I woke up and went to pull the bear straps off the rollaway bin so that the trash trucks could handle it. Instead, I found that the bear, after flipping our neighbor's unstrapped can and eating the good bits, had dragged our trashcan down the hill to the entrance to the state park, flipped it over, and gnawed (there's a toothmark) and pulled until the lid was open enough to drag trash bags out of.

Can I stop being an adult now?

Planning to check if our trash service will allow these. A trash shed wouldn't help, because we still have to put the rollaways next to the road, and that's when the bear gets them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Yeah, I'd help any of my friends paint. I love painting walls, something soothing about it.

It's always a 2 hour paint job that I forget oh I need to put the wood filler in for those couple of little holes and then I need to sand it and then I need to wipe it clean with a damp cloth and then let it dry and fuckkkkk that.

Painting a room is the best way to deep clean a room.

I loved painting in the pre-toddler years. Not so much now, because gently caress keeping a toddler away from walls.

E: I also have to paint a bathroom ceiling, but first I have to scrape the bathroom ceiling and re-texture it because all the texturing is cracked from humidity/wrong paint. Thanks, PO.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 2, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Today I have graduated from the 'home buying' thread into this one.

I am equal parts terrified and excited! Please look forward to my stupid questions!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I am equal parts terrified and excited! Please look forward to my stupid questions!

NB: You'll spend the first year flipping out over every sound and visible defect ("Was that there before?") before chilling out and giving the Kif from Futurama sigh at things that go wrong.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eason the Fifth posted:

NB: You'll spend the first year flipping out over every sound and visible defect ("Was that there before?") before chilling out and giving the Kif from Futurama sigh at things that go wrong.

I’m six months into ownership and you’re completely right.

I’ve spent a lot of cash, most of it warranted, some of it could have waited. I’ve had buyers remorse like crazy.

My wife’s been great and has tried to make it as good of a home as it can be, but I’m just pessimistic by nature and always get pissed about buying at the top of the market. But I didn’t have much of a choice and rentals weren’t available at the time to wait it out a year or two…if I did wait a year, I wouldn’t be able to afford the house I got because the mortgage rate increases…but I wouldn’t pay over asking so I probably would have ended up exactly where I’m at.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As long as the repairs / replaced appliances last long enough for me to forget how much they cost. After that, it's gravy.

Been in this house thirty years this past May

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, we had a small leak in a window. The guy looked around and there are no signs of caulk around the replacement windows (unclear when they were installed, double-pane). He wants to take off some woodwork to make sure they were foam sealed or equivalent.

But! That's not the good part! The roof is in bad shape -- the peaks were installed by amateurs, not properly overlapped, sealed with a non-exterior-rated silicone, and not well maintained. Our guy is going to look and see if he can replace the peaks and the area immediately around them, because around here reroofing a complicated roof like ours is going to run at least $65,000. Second choice is to tarp it until spring and have it reroofed.

Shoot me and leave me out for the bear, okay?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Holy poo poo! What makes your roof so complicated?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Does your insurance cover roof replacement if it's destroyed by an act of god? If it does, time to hide that bear's favorite foods under those shingles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Congratulations/Condolences.