Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Pirate Radar posted:

People think he’s cheating because his performance is uneven (sometimes merely really good but sometimes even better) and oh yeah he’s admitted cheating in the past. But how do you cheat in a live game of chess? You’d have to have some system of passing instructions from an observer (who’s feeding the game state into a computer) to the player. Somebody joked “hah, maybe it’s vibrating anal beads” and that blew up even though there’s no actual signs that it’s that.

so they have to memorize all those chess move openings AND morse code?? wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

some days i wish i were a simple ant

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

nvm

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 19, 2022

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

esto es malo posted:

so they have to memorize all those chess move openings AND morse code?? wtf

In something about this I was hearing that one example of live chess cheating involved a team inventing its own code that used a 2x2 grid of lights that was visible behind the opponent, and learning to send signals about what piece to move and how using only four lights being on or off.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i hate the internet! it makes a mockery of human companionship

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

In something about this I was hearing that one example of live chess cheating involved a team inventing its own code that used a 2x2 grid of lights that was visible behind the opponent, and learning to send signals about what piece to move and how using only four lights being on or off.

None of this quite makes much sense to me. Is the premise that you have several observers watch the move then consult and decide the best counter play? What if those observers disagree? Isn’t there a huge time pressure there? If the observers are so skilled, why aren’t they playing the match?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

litany of gulps posted:

None of this quite makes much sense to me. Is the premise that you have several observers watch the move then consult and decide the best counter play? What if those observers disagree? Isn’t there a huge time pressure there? If the observers are so skilled, why aren’t they playing the match?

The observer surreptitiously feeds the current game state into a computer and relays the computer’s recommended move to the player. No additional human decision-making is required.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

V. Illych L. posted:

happily, despite your circumstances being very unique i doubt that you're very doxxable

you can just decide to forget and so must everyone else

anyone that wishes harm upon avs is the lowest of human scum, utter cretins, devoid of joie de vivre. ramshackle shells of humanity. action figures with no dye in the plastic

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

a strange fowl posted:

i hate the internet! it makes a mockery of human companionship

i hear it makes you stupid

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i hear it makes you stupid
it really does

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Pirate Radar posted:

probably a lot easier to do that than play while aroused

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the anal beads thing is iirc a musk invention, but the point is that it's pretty easy to smuggle in some means of communication because the games are typicall broadcast live and there aren't any real security measures

as far as i understand it there are small enough earpieces that they'd get through that way, or you could just hide some kind of buzzer in your shoe or what have you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

as pirate says chess computers can beat human players in 99% of cases

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tesseraction posted:

as pirate says chess computers can beat human players in 99% of cases

really should be 100% of the time. when was the last time that a human beat komodo, stockfish, etc when they're allowed to calculate on a rapid or classical clock

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

anyone that wishes harm upon avs is the lowest of human scum, utter cretins, devoid of joie de vivre. ramshackle shells of humanity. action figures with no dye in the plastic

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.yelp.com/biz/blitzstein-museum-of-art-los-angeles-2

i saw this museum in my area and it kind of brought avs art to mind (not the subject and themes so much as the style)

i really want to check it out, but i think it might have closed permanently a while back

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

oh i am not worried about being hunted down, no more than usual, just in remorse over the many stupid things that i have said and done

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

sometimes i am struck by bolts of guilt for behaviour dating back to livejournal and beyond

it's having everything written down. it's mortifying, and you don't realise the full effect until you've built up 10+ years' worth of it. we weren't warned!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a strange fowl posted:

sometimes i am struck by bolts of guilt for behaviour dating back to livejournal and beyond

it's having everything written down. it's mortifying, and you don't realise the full effect until you've built up 10+ years' worth of it. we weren't warned!

oh yeah i get that too but for obscure and probably (hopefully) long-dead fan forums. i certainly don't intend to go back and check if they're still around

i have tried very hard to numb myself to it, and happily for us older people were were doing this when the internet was much more fragmented and less likely to be archived in toto somewhere. i imagine growing up in the age of social media and i shudder - i would've probably found some incredibly annoying subreddit and gone completely psychotic incel or something

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

a strange fowl posted:

oh i am not worried about being hunted down, no more than usual, just in remorse over the many stupid things that i have said and done

hopefully it's all okay but good luck

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

really should be 100% of the time. when was the last time that a human beat komodo, stockfish, etc when they're allowed to calculate on a rapid or classical clock

I just think about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzuOFf9M7II

and instance where the chess computer doesn't understand why he makes a particular move, and it turns out to be extremely consequential. The match itself long predates chess computers so who knows if he'd have been able to win in that situation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1598338673153540101

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've heard of that before, but it's one of those food things i've chosen to believe no one actually does

edit: wait, they're trying to appeal to tiktok teens and they went with lindsay lohan to make the pitch?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Melissa Joan Hart was busy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
pilk

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ah i see Lindsey Lohan is discovering malta ak let but !! this time for white people

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've tried it and it sucks

now wine and coke, that's nice

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

- bottle (s) of malta goya or other malt soda
- 1/2 can of evaporated milk per bottle
- vanilla extract
- a tablespoon or two of white sugar to taste
- stir and serve in plastic jug with ice

Congratulations! You now can taste the experience of being a guest at the house of a manman who either loves or strictly tolerates you, no Pepsi or Lindsay Lohan required

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I'm in favor of their identifying however they wish so sure

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Staluigi posted:

- bottle (s) of malta goya or other malt soda
- 1/2 can of evaporated milk per bottle
- vanilla extract
- a tablespoon or two of white sugar to taste
- stir and serve in plastic jug with ice

Congratulations! You now can taste the experience of being a guest at the house of a manman who either loves or strictly tolerates you, no Pepsi or Lindsay Lohan required

I assume Karamalz is a similar malt drink? That's all over the place here.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/fuckedupfoods/status/1599034750747803648

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Has that been deleted? Looks deleted on my end.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Has that been deleted? Looks deleted on my end.

Oh, it has actually been deleted. Rest in peace, microwaved beef ring.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That food was too hosed-up looking

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

That food was too hosed-up looking

I assume it actually was hit by some automated filter meant to delete goatse :laffo:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
https://vintagerecipecards.com/2012/05/08/oriental-beef-ring/

Maybe 2022 sucked so much we all got transported back in time to 00's where copyright striking recipes and pictures was all the rage.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ah, i see the dead have returned to post in the decrepit and decayed ruins of this thread

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Rest in peace, microwaved beef ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

microwaved beef ring is a pro tier username ngl