Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

MarcusSA posted:

Na.

Phones, tablets and hell even PCs don’t have drives anymore.

poo poo that's right. Then a piracy resurgence is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Turbinosamente posted:

This may be the luddite in me, but do you guys think there will be a resurgence of physical discs as more people get fed up with things getting moved and yanked off of various streaming services? Between that and running into extra paywalls for random movies, I'm glad I kept most of my discs. It makes suggesting something for movie night a pain in the rear end though.

I would love that, but it's not happening. I think Physical media will be around for a while, it's kept afloat by it's niche, and the boutique labels are putting out bigger and bigger titles, but there won't be video stores on every corner like there were in the 90's

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

poo poo that's right. Then a piracy resurgence is in order.

Whole movies are already streaming here and there on Twitter. Right now they’re roughly scene-by-scene, but Musk wants to up the max video length so a whole movie should be fit if they ever do that!*

*the engineers that would do this are probably fired

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

the holy poopacy posted:

Wait, is that why Nailed It suddenly disappeared? I just assumed it got overexposed and petered out.

lol that Netflix made a big push towards cheap unscripted content and then pivoted back towards expensive prestige shows because their flagship unscripted show tried to unionize. The golden goose is asking for a nicer coop, fetch the axe.

Deadline: ‘Nailed It! Halloween!’ Production Shut Down As Crew Tries To Unionize; Remaining Episodes Won’t Be Filmed

That's why there were only four Halloween episodes when they usually do six or more.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Iron Crowned posted:

I would love that, but it's not happening. I think Physical media will be around for a while, it's kept afloat by it's niche, and the boutique labels are putting out bigger and bigger titles, but there won't be video stores on every corner like there were in the 90's

I didn't mean video stores on every corner, that's unrealistic, I meant more like the vinyl revival. Popular enough to be a viable market.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Turbinosamente posted:

I didn't mean video stores on every corner, that's unrealistic, I meant more like the vinyl revival. Popular enough to be a viable market.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853471

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

Debatable whether Netflix is circling the drain just yet, but I feel like this comment alone is enough to qualify

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1598060314926481419

Meanwhile, his explanation for why they didn't leave Glass Onion in theaters a bit longer to make more money (which it really seems like it could've done) doesn't inspire a whole lot more confidence either:

All of these "genius" tech CEOs are stupid as gently caress, or at least no smarter than any of us. They're kept afloat by a combination of luck and their perception as being gods among men.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

All of these "genius" tech CEOs are stupid as gently caress, or at least no smarter than any of us. They're kept afloat by a combination of luck and their perception as being gods among men.

I think they all have to play along because if Elon fails other people might ask, hey, what if the CEOs of other tech companies that have never made a profit are also dumbasses making it all up?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Turbinosamente posted:

This may be the luddite in me, but do you guys think there will be a resurgence of physical discs as more people get fed up with things getting moved and yanked off of various streaming services? Between that and running into extra paywalls for random movies, I'm glad I kept most of my discs. It makes suggesting something for movie night a pain in the rear end though.

My preference would be digital purchases, as long as there's not some draconian DRM that could prevent it from playing without an internet connection, i.e. what eventually happened with music. Discs are an arbitrary limitation to the data which could just be transmitted on any medium, or no medium at all.

Anecdotally, I think the vinyl revival happened because digital music became ubiquitous, rather than as some sort of backlash to it. Digital is objectively better 99% of the time, vinyl is mostly just there for the charm of having a thing you can look at and touch. Not sure what the equivalent would be for movies, since the analog (literally & figuratively) would be a film print, which I just can't imagine becoming affordable or practical on a similar scale.

I guess just give me like, a poster with a USB drive attached to it?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And also terrorizing rank-and-file employees into actually figuring out how to make their weird-rear end ideas work in real life.

Musk and Trump have really made it clear how much of business “leadership” is screaming “I don’t care, get it done” at people and counting on them to have no better options.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

red19fire posted:

I think they all have to play along because if Elon fails other people might ask, hey, what if the CEOs of other tech companies that have never made a profit are also dumbasses making it all up?

Yeah, and if there's anything they love it's playing strong businessman and treating your employees like poo poo, so they probably love the "management" he's showing at Twitter right now.

^ Beaten by Splint Chesthair as I was typing this.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
cassette tapes are coming back into vogue, speaking of

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I think CDs are on the rise as well, because vinyl got expensive as soon as major labels realized there was still money in it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

As an outsider it’s been very funny to watch tech companies spend a decade-plus building “campuses” full of climbing walls and microbreweries and arcades so employees don’t notice those 75-hour weeks so much. But the second there’s a downturn, they start complaining about how “entitled” their workers are and can you believe they’re ASKING for ice cream in the cafeteria on Fridays now???

Their solution is always “get meaner” and it’s a real hoot I tell ya.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

I can't think of any high profile things in the "Buy" instead of "Buffet" model that have vanished (i.e Amazon Prime Video's non-subscriber buy option). That's easier and cheaper to run than warehousing and distributing physical discs, probably.

Something like that (with instant gratification, no disc storage, and cross device access) expanding seems more likely than physical discs coming back

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

I can't think of any high profile things in the "Buy" instead of "Buffet" model that have vanished (i.e Amazon Prime Video's non-subscriber buy option).

Amazon Prime Video has definitely removed bought titles from subscribers in a few countries.
Playstation Video shut down entirely.
If you move country you're hosed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

red19fire posted:

It's this. Musk is almost setting a dangerous precedent.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

It's this. Musk is almost setting a dangerous precedent.

Is it? I'd think that they'd have a really easy time defending their cushy positions if they had an example they could point to and say "look, this guy is really smart and did all these great things and even he hosed up this social media company because he didn't understand how hard it is to be a social media CEO, you should continue paying me 8 figures so that your company doesn't end up like Twitter."

I think the reverse is more likely: they want him to demonstrate that you can fire 80% of your employees and set your revenue stream on fire and still be fine somehow, because that would be a useful precedent to them. And if they support him and he fails then they still get to say "Oops, just goes to show you CEOing is hard, so you see I must really deserve all this money." It's win/win for them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Na.

Phones, tablets and hell even PCs don’t have drives anymore.

external players are a thing? also since most people dont even have a isp that gives top speed during graveyard hours, people can get the highest and best Ks.

oh and if you have a telecom outage, but not a power outage (or you have a power gen) you can still do non e-book media.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are we sure this guy is a tech CEO and not a Will Ferrell tech CEO character?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Splint Chesthair posted:

As an outsider it’s been very funny to watch tech companies spend a decade-plus building “campuses” full of climbing walls and microbreweries and arcades so employees don’t notice those 75-hour weeks so much. But the second there’s a downturn, they start complaining about how “entitled” their workers are and can you believe they’re ASKING for ice cream in the cafeteria on Fridays now???

Their solution is always “get meaner” and it’s a real hoot I tell ya.

The thing is, this isn’t really new to Tech. My MIL worked at Lucent for 30 years when telecom was running wild and margins were massive. They would rent out entire hotel floors for their employees to go to Disney. She could work from home a couple days a week in 2001!! The benefits and pay were massively inflated.

And then it came crashing down because the industry and economy changed.

Before that it as was probably like oil or auto workers or mining or whatever that had like company towns with company stores and housing and poo poo. (Trade off being ur lungs and limbs tho)

It all feels peak of capitalism to me in that you either get in the grift while you can, or you don’t.

Crazyweasel has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Dec 2, 2022

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

company towns with company stores weren't built for the benefit of employees, auto and mining as industries have always had to be extremely militant up to the point of getting shot by the army in order to force companies to give workers a cut. even at their height the only guys living it up were maybe a few corrupt union bosses. the oil market equivalent i guess would be maybe enron who did have some early successes and then, well, you know. or the saudis who have more money than they know what to do with and built a fake play city where the police have lamborghinis

finance though does tend toward the swingy ridiculous "more money then we know what to do with, we're all geniuses"/"welp time to jump out the window" capitalism boom/bust cycle, and software as finance's biggest darling because of huge potential ROI has picked up a lot of that, especially during the long free-money era of the last decade

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Amazon Prime Video has definitely removed bought titles from subscribers in a few countries.
Playstation Video shut down entirely.
If you move country you're hosed.

Yeah, Apple had a few titles get deleted at some point. No one is immune. Digital rights suck absolute rear end.

The funniest part of the modern standard, 4K UHDs, is that they finally realized they needed to go Region-free. I suspect it's so they could more easily sell discs because they see the writing on the wall w/ numbers going down. It's a discussion we've had a few times in the Physical Media thread in CD.

Best Buy has like 4 racks, 32ft total of physical media in most stores, when it used to be the biggest department behind home theater. Physical space-wise, that is.

I recently moved and despite properly prepping, the ISP left me in a lurch for thankfully only 24 hours, but I was grateful to have a disc or two to throw on.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tech CEOs are just the modern equivalent of a reclusive farmer deciding to build an international furniture megacorp randomly after a war.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO one big barrier to physical media coming back is going to be the fact that nobody actually wants to loving store it anymore. I absolutely do not miss dealing with physical books, DVDs, CDs, and all that crap.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been a mass-buyback of physical media from music labels/movie studios. They have a way to sell you conditional access month after month, and you have a way to guard yourself from ever needing to do so. I love physical media, and the first thing I do when acquiring a new piece of it is rip it and shove it into plex.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ted Sarandos has muscled out Hastings in all but name, and is the most charming person I’ve met in my entire life. Remember that Hastings was the guy that wanted to split Netflix in half about a decade ago, in a move that was so stupid that even Saturday Night Live made fun of him for being clueless and deluded.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Khizan posted:

IMO one big barrier to physical media coming back is going to be the fact that nobody actually wants to loving store it anymore. I absolutely do not miss dealing with physical books, DVDs, CDs, and all that crap.

CD's and DVD's are just jank plastic you touch once. Books you handle for an extended period of time. They develop a patina, a distinct smell, etc. You can't compare them.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Desert Bus posted:

You can't compare them.

you just did!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

you just did!

Ooof. Owned.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

That's a bummer since that is the show they put on that I most consistently watch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The New Year’s episode they did with Jason Mantzoukas and returning favorite contestants is legitimately one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is legitimately the funniest

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At one point Mantzoukas has one of the camera operators laughing so hard that he’s crying and loving up the shot. It’s amazing.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Mantzoukas is a modern comedy treasure, but this really isn't about a company failing so...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remulak posted:

Ted Sarandos has muscled out Hastings in all but name, and is the most charming person I’ve met in my entire life. Remember that Hastings was the guy that wanted to split Netflix in half about a decade ago, in a move that was so stupid that even Saturday Night Live made fun of him for being clueless and deluded.
I for one will never forget Qwikster

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

I for one will never forget Qwikster
Did that site actually launch, or did they work on it for a while and say "actually nah, we'll stick with the Netflix branding"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zugzwang posted:

Did that site actually launch, or did they work on it for a while and say "actually nah, we'll stick with the Netflix branding"?
No, they announced it and it was immediately treated by everyone as a huge joke

I really don't think they had been working on it that long, because the @Qwikster Twitter handle was held by someone else when all of that came out

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Empty Sandwich posted:

you just did!

I think they contrasted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, they announced it and it was immediately treated by everyone as a huge joke

I really don't think they had been working on it that long, because the @Qwikster Twitter handle was held by someone else when all of that came out

Best part was the guy who held @qwikster was a stoner whose avatar was Elmo holding a blunt